MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h) sponsored by a new hope

266 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h) sponsored by a new hope

by CountryRoyal » 04 Aug 2018 10:29

On reflection I might have been a little bit harsh about Mannone’s effort for their second goal. I think it’s a bit of a freak goal. The lad is in such an awkward position and so far away from goal that 99 times out of 100 Giroud wouldn’t even score that, let alone Tom fcuking Lawrence. Just one of those things and it’s a shame we put ourselves in the position where that was a possible, and make no mistake we did put ourselves in that position. Derby didn’t win it, we lost it.

Overall really optimistic compared to how I felt before the game. Hopefully we will be able to put this behind us and move on but a hard trip to Forrest and another defeat will see us more than likely rooted to the bottom of the table and already on the back foot.

Mannone 3 - never instilled much confidence throughout the game and his howler was the icing on the cake. Never in a million years should be letting that in, it completely changed the complexion of the game and has let the team down badly. I’m in half a mind to say oxf*rd him and put Walker in.

Yiadom 7 - wow wow wow, showed more quality in one game than Gunter has in 6 years. Instantly showed us what we were missing persisting with that waster.

McShane 4 - a couple of good moments but by and large a liability. All too often made the wrong choice clearing from the back, got us in danger too many times, caught out with his lack of pace and needed Ilori to bail him out.

Ilori 7 - excellent display, one or two early moments but really grew into the game to deliver a commanding, competent and mature defensive performance.

Richards 6 - thought he had a lot of bright moments, fatigued at the end but don’t think he can be overly blamed for the goal, I wouldn’t have any problem with persisting with him at left back based on that display.

Meyler 8 - hard to pick a MOTM as there wasn’t a lot to pick from the three better performers but I’ll go with Meyler who again demonstrated what we’ve been missing. Was very solid in the middle of the park and one of the reasons Derby were mostly ineffective going forward. Broke up play well.

Swift 6 - some really bright moments and a much better performance from him than I’ve seen in a while.

Kelly 6 - I thought he looked ok tbh, pretty busy but no telling contributions.

Aluko 6 - much better from Aluko good first half but did fade. My complaint is that he still likes to hold onto it for too long and turn inside/outside dribbling in stupid little circles when he perhaps should have passed earlier. Long range passing is still naff as is his shooting but yeah, better then last year.

Barrow 7 - constant thorn in their side, brilliant delivery time and time again and was a danger all game. We should have given the ball to him more.

Bod 6 - got the goal and won a few flicks etc but doesn’t have the quality to inspire you that he’s regularly going to be taking chances. Not the answer to take us forward.

Cba to do the subs as thought they we’re ineffective. Not quite sure what Baldock’s game is, or how we play to it, but it certainly wasn’t that. Ran about like a headless chicken and don’t think he touched the ball. Pumping balls into the channel won’t work with him. Meite has enthusiasm but lacks quality. Happy Bacuna is back.

I was in the south stand for the game to try it out and it was actually ok. Felt like the area on the whole sang more than Y26 on an average game but I’m not entirely sure it’s going to take off for one intrinsically terminal flaw. There isn’t enough of that level of “passionate” fan within the Reading FC fan base demographic. In what is supposed to be a (cringe) hard core singing section, at least 35% didn’t join in the chants or muster a song all game. I’ll probably go back though. Quicker queues for beer and I’ve never got away from the stadium so quickly. Happy days.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 04 Aug 2018 10:33

It would have been three goals if Mannone hadn’t pulled off the great save after McShane let the ball go across (which was the right thing to do).

Have we all forgotten that one?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Aug 2018 10:34

Uke It would have been three goals if Mannone hadn’t pulled off the great save after McShane let the ball go across (which was the right thing to do).

Have we all forgotten that one?

No we haven’t but the the only reason Derby even had enough impetus to actually put in a cross was because they were 1-1, which was his fault.

Also who cares, 1-2/1-3, it’s still an effing loss.
Last edited by CountryRoyal on 04 Aug 2018 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Aug 2018 10:34

marlowuk "Make no mistake, we didn't deserve to win the game, and there are lots of big things for us to improve on, ........"
The above is a quote from Frank Lampard after the match. Even he didn't think Derby should have won and was man enough to admit it

Was furious last night, honestly fcuking furious. I was p1ssed off that we threw the points away (or it felt like it) at the dying second. A draw was a good and fair result.

In my drunken state I was angry that Frank walked into the league and got a win thinking "yea it's only the Championship" but that is just ridiculous. I like Frank, he's always seemed fairly humble and intelligent. His comments after the game reflect that.

I don't dislike Derby either, if anything I like them far more than other teams in this league. Not sure why some are anti.

WAZZOCK Good luck to Clement in turning this around, because we have simply become a team that are used to losing, and it’s a very tricky spiral to get out of.

Bloody hell Wazzock, it's only the first game. Is there anything to "turn around". We've not lost 5 games on the bounce all due to being spineless. I did feel we were far more positive than last season last night. It's not a losing mentality, it was just poor keeping and just the luck of the draw that was at play last night.

St Pauli Is the ultras thing in the south stand a real thing now? It looked very crowded in what is normally an empty half of a stand on the stream.

Yes they are a thing now. They have crowd funded over £1000 I think for banners, flags, etc... and last night had 300 people buying tickets there in ADDITION to the season ticket holders already there.

They made some decent noise last night. If the East can join in their chants (vice-versa) and have two sections singing that would be great, rather than them taking turns or singing different songs at the same time

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 04 Aug 2018 11:23

bobby1413
WAZZOCK Good luck to Clement in turning this around, because we have simply become a team that are used to losing, and it’s a very tricky spiral to get out of.

Bloody hell Wazzock, it's only the first game. Is there anything to "turn around". We've not lost 5 games on the bounce all due to being spineless. I did feel we were far more positive than last season last night. It's not a losing mentality, it was just poor keeping and just the luck of the draw that was at play last night.

You’ve decided to pick out three words in a whole post there, I think if you read the whole thing it’s very clear what my trend of thought is.

Plain and simply we are a team that are used to losing football matches, and I believe that was completely evident in the way last night’s match went. We put in a decent performance until we went ahead, and then completely froze when the reality set in that we could go on and get a result from the game. That is simply down to the psychological position that we find ourselves in, call it a mental block of some sort.

Whether it’s the first game of the season or the 46th, trends suggest it crosses over from season to season. Take 2009 for example - no home win from January to May in 08/09. That didn’t just go away the next season, it carried on with a new manager right the way through until late November. That was under the stewardship of a Manager who almost won the Premier League 5 years later, so yes Clement does have his work cut out with us.

It works the other way too. Had we finished strongly last season or been promoted from the third tier, we would have seen that match out once we took the lead. Sheffield United completely overachieved in most people’s eyes last season because they were a team used to winning football matches. Quite often it wasn’t pretty, but all you need to do is get over the line and secure those 3 points.

Forest away is a very tough fixture, but in terms of momentum a decent result against Bolton is very important in my opinion. Even if it’s a scrappy encounter where we nick a one goal win in the last ten minutes, we need to try and slowly get out of this rut.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Aug 2018 11:39

Agree generally with Country Royal, couple of slightly different scores but same gist

With Baldock it was very noticeable from the ED stand How vocal he is. I don’t think he ran like a headless chicken, was making good runs and constantly telling Meite where to go. He did dig out a nice cross from a nothing situation as well. Wouldn’t say he played well but can see what he will bring

Shame not to see McNulty but there’s plenty of time and games for him

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 04 Aug 2018 11:46

After the summer break it was a tough reminder of how harsh football can be.
Forgot how good some of our players actually are, Barrow was terrific and got a great assist! Yiadom was very good, Meylor was MOTM and Kelly put in some great balls.
Only player i can really go in on is Mannone for that first goal!
Fairplay to Frank and Derby as I actually dont mind them

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Aug 2018 11:49

I don't get the widespread "down" on Bod. He led the line very well indeed, enough that the PROFESSIONALS said he was MoM.

Bod and Swift had to work their nuts off closing down, and worked (according to the manager, who admittedly knows less than the thickest Nobber) perfectly. Almost all of our first half chances came from interceptions either by these two or caused because the Derby back five were under pressure and couldn't slide great passes.

For his time on the pitch, in toto, Bod did brilliantly. His goal (and the whole move) was excellent. The first "miss" was a save and if you watch carefully Bod had little choice but to try and dink it to the keeper's left. A few inches wider and he's a hero. He had three chances, scored a goal. Most decent strikers are about 1 in 5.

He has been a bit-part player but even so he has got 11 goals and two assists in 2034 minutes on the pitch.

That's a goal every 185 minutes a goal or asset every 156 minutes.

He did the above-mentioned closing-down work, had one great defensive clearance. Easily MoM.

So maybe, MAYBE, he isn't a world-beater, but when people start posting (before his goal, ha-ha) that he's League Two quality, they really need to start learning about football (and-or take a look in the mirror).

The manager should start him at Forest.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Aug 2018 12:08

When I looked at Derby's line-up and our own, I feared the worst, but we played well and Derby were Stam-awful for most of the first half. We held a team expected to challenge for top three to ZERO shots on target in the whole of the first half. Where was that 0-5 drubbing some Nobbers predicted?

I thought the back four collectively were excellent. Yiadom is so much more positive than Gunter and Richards did not look out of place at all and should rapidly improve. Gonna be a very good player. Did people hear on TV that Premiership Clubs have been sniffing round him?

I dearly hope the two FBs avoid injury and keep Gunter out.

The CBs were up against some class players and acquitted themselves very well. The one goal was almost totally done to a Mannone blunder, the winner was awesome and out of the blue. We will win 3-0 and 4-0 playing like that against bottom-half sides.

Meyler was mostly excellent and does the Elwood job well, breaking up the opposition play. We look so much better with him in there

Barrow's speed is frightening, and with a little more luck he might have made 2-3-4 goals rather than the one. Best I've seen Aluko play but he needs half-a-dozen games of that quality before we can start to forgive last season.

Kelly was solid without being brilliant but did feed Barrow nicely

Bod and Swift had to do a lot of work and began to look leggy second half, but the work they did worked very well defensively and with the rub of the green might have been worth more than one goal.

I still think Swift is short of his Reading best. Don't know if McNulty or Baldock could play that role as well. Presumably they'd be better at taking what chances came, McNulty especially.

When Meite came on he just looked so raw. I find it hard to ever imagine him as a regular. I am only judging him on the Palace game and this sub appearance, but I would have been a lot happier if McNulty had come on instead of him.

First goal was Baaaad, but the second was freakish, a brilliant cross, a very clever header, and (IMO) no chance for Mannone.

Had that made it 1-1 at the death we'd've just shrugged and said we were mostly the better side and denied the 3-points by a moment magic, but the Mannone blunder really turned the game on its head. I miss having a keeper who actually saves games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Aug 2018 12:08

Thought Bod did fine personally. Tired a bit as expected but played pretty well overall

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Aug 2018 12:20

Hound Thought Bod did fine personally. Tired a bit as expected but played pretty well overall

Agreed, but read the inane, insane comments on his play during the first half.

"JDB is a League 2 Player." (Royal Rother)

"JVB is an absolute donkey. Good god. The sort of player you expect to miss 90% of his chances and when one goes in you are shocked and delighted. Nowhere near the quality required for an accomplished championship team." (FineRain)

...yet once again JVB flat footed and behind play. If this is the style we are going to play then get McNulty in, we need someone whose going to be on the shoulder of the last man, pulling people out of position and getting on the end of dangerous crosses. JVB won't be quick enough even with a full pre season.

and again. oxf*rd touch and then he fouls the guy. He should not be on the field. (FineRain again)

"Team looks ok. But my god, Bod is horrendously off the pace!!
We could be 2 up if he was fit and ready" (Pistol Pete)

Bod has been postionally poor. (New Cork Seth)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Aug 2018 12:28

Paul Clement has absolutely savaged Darren Bent on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/PaulClement1972/sta ... 4237787136

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Aug 2018 12:30

Nothing to add over the comments already on here really

Mannone. Just awful. Again

Aluko. Same crap as last year leaving us entirely one sided

McShane. Actually had a good game imo, but Christ is he frighteningly slow

Meyler. Thought he looked like he's gonna be good for us

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Aug 2018 12:31

Mannone - 5 - At fault for the first goal then follows that up with a fantastic save to deny a second. Couldnt do much about the 3rd. Some poor distribution.
Yiadom - 7 - Ooh boy we have a proper RB. 1 or 2 mistakes but very small ones. Can tackle, can cross, can run, can jump. Needs to work on decision making (like pretty much everyone else in our team) but looks solid.
Ilori - 7 - Calm, composed and has more skill with the ball at his feet than most of our mids.. Keep that up.
McShane - 6 - Few mistakes again. What was that diagonal run about in the second half?
Richards - 6 - Great first half that made me a lil bit excited then a poor second half where he panicked a little in possesion. Great movement in attack but must get his position right for counter attacks.
Meyler - 6 - Was sweeping things up very well in the first half. 2 or 3 interceptions that kept Derby from playing it around the box. Overenthusiastic in some of his challenges. Keep it up. Like a better Edwards. Stop the crossfield balls...
Kelly - 5 - Poor. Some random passes when we had good numbers in attack. Really poor free kick in the second half..
Swift - 7 - Played his role superbly in the first half. Derbys midfield didnt know what to do with him. Noticeably we faded after bring him off as there was no longer a deep, central attacker (Baldock and Meite kept out pretty wide) some really clever play while in possession.
Aluko - 6 - Mixed bag. Some great play followed by positional ambiguity and bad creative choices. Was lucky often with the bounce of the ball following a poor "trick"/pass.
Barrow - 7 - Dangerous again on the break and beautiful cross for the goal. MOTM.
Bod - 7 - Well taken goal but was off pace and made some questionable runs. He kept moving out wide when we really needed someone centrally putting pressure on the Derby CBs.

Subs:
All ineffective.. Not their fault as they came on during our worst passage of play and our midfield was incapable of holding onto the ball long enough.

Derby were really poor. They should be very disappointed with that showing..

Ref - I dont mind a ref talking to players but this guy was taking the piss. Card happy and blew his whistle a few times too quickly. The one time in the match where he played advantage he failed to call it back to the original foul. - 3

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Aug 2018 12:32

Snowball
Hound Thought Bod did fine personally. Tired a bit as expected but played pretty well overall

"JVB is an absolute donkey. Good god. The sort of player you expect to miss 90% of his chances and when one goes in you are shocked and delighted. Nowhere near the quality required for an accomplished championship team." (FineRain)

...yet once again JVB flat footed and behind play. If this is the style we are going to play then get McNulty in, we need someone whose going to be on the shoulder of the last man, pulling people out of position and getting on the end of dangerous crosses. JVB won't be quick enough even with a full pre season.

and again. oxf*rd touch and then he fouls the guy. He should not be on the field. (FineRain again)

I stand by my comment. I expand on it above in my BFTG.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Aug 2018 12:34

NewCorkSeth
Snowball

Your comment was the mildest. Still you should ask why Mick Gooding made him MoM
Last edited by Snowball on 04 Aug 2018 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Aug 2018 12:35

RE: Aluko. I didn't think he was bad last night. He looked motivated, ran with purpose. He got lucky with the break of the ball at times but he looked positive.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Aug 2018 12:38

genome Paul Clement has absolutely savaged Darren Bent on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/PaulClement1972/sta ... 4237787136

I love him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Aug 2018 12:46

Snowball
NewCorkSeth
Snowball

Your comment was the mildest. Still you should ask why Mick Gooding made him MoM

Mick Gooding is one of the biggest talkers of shite I've ever had to listen to. Last night he wouldn't shut up about Swift "not closing players down" which was usually followed up by Swift being in a perfect position to aid the counter attack.
He just seems to love an old school, charge about player full of "pashun" which is why he liked Jvdb.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Aug 2018 13:17

NewCorkSeth
Snowball
NewCorkSeth I stand by my comment. I expand on it above in my BFTG.

Mick Gooding is one of the biggest talkers of shite I've ever had to listen to. Last night he wouldn't shut up about Swift "not closing players down" which was usually followed up by Swift being in a perfect position to aid the counter attack.
He just seems to love an old school, charge about player full of "pashun" which is why he liked Jvdb.

Gooding was one of the best players ive seen wear the hoops.

266 posts