Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h) sponsored by a new hope

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Aug 2018 10:37

Old Man Andrews
Coppells Lost Coat
Negatives;
Strike force looked toothless.

Apart from having about 3 chances and scoring a really good goal they were toothless, yes.

Not sure if you're agreeing or not. Of the 3 chances 2 of them were from clear derby gifts. Should have punished them. And the goal was more from the cross than the finish - but you cant take that away from Bod as he did what was needed + he looked a better player in the 2nd half. The midfield i thought was excellent, but the movement up top either wasn't there or come too late.
As its the 1st game you'd expect a bit of rustiness from players and expect them to get better as the games go by. My view was purely on 1 game and not a sweeping statement for the season to come

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Aug 2018 10:38

For people who took a lot of notice of pre-season (not me), is McNulty unfit, or is there another reason we didn't see him from the bench? He notched a goal in pre-season and is (apparently) as much of a goal poacher-type striker than we've had since Cureton. Seems to me it would suit the sort of football we were playing, lots of possession on the wings and crosses into the box. And yet Baldock (who did nothing) and Meite were preferred.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2018 10:39

Coppells Lost Coat
Old Man Andrews
Coppells Lost Coat
Negatives;
Strike force looked toothless.

Apart from having about 3 chances and scoring a really good goal they were toothless, yes.

Not sure if you're agreeing or not. Of the 3 chances 2 of them were from clear derby gifts. Should have punished them. And the goal was more from the cross than the finish - but you cant take that away from Bod as he did what was needed + he looked a better player in the 2nd half. The midfield i thought was excellent, but the movement up top either wasn't there or come too late.
As its the 1st game you'd expect a bit of rustiness from players and expect them to get better as the games go by. My view was purely on 1 game and not a sweeping statement for the season to come

Just think toothless is the wrong word. I think Bod was in the right place at the right time all game but was wasteful in front of goal, lacked a bit of sharpness.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Aug 2018 10:40

There's something of the Pogrebnyak about him. When he was put through on goal in the first half - everything about it reminded me of Pog being put through at Wembley against Arsenal and at no point at all looking like scoring.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Aug 2018 11:01

Old Man Andrews
Coppells Lost Coat
Old Man Andrews

Just think toothless is the wrong word. I think Bod was in the right place at the right time all game but was wasteful in front of goal, lacked a bit of sharpness.

Careless is better I think. Looking at Bod's early chance and the later break the problem really was the weight of the pass.

For Bod's chance, Swift played it a little hard meaning all Bod could do was stretch and try to poke it past the onrushing Carson. Bod then returned the favour and when looking to play Swift in, played it too hard for him meaning the chance went.

So 2 chances where if a little more care was taken with the final ball would have meant a better chance or even a goal or 2 in the first half.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Aug 2018 11:39

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
Coppells Lost Coat

Careless is better I think. Looking at Bod's early chance and the later break the problem really was the weight of the pass.

For Bod's chance, Swift played it a little hard meaning all Bod could do was stretch and try to poke it past the onrushing Carson. Bod then returned the favour and when looking to play Swift in, played it too hard for him meaning the chance went.

So 2 chances where if a little more care was taken with the final ball would have meant a better chance or even a goal or 2 in the first half.

The pass to Swift was very careless. The touch and chance by Bod I would like to say later on in the season he'll beat the keeper + against less experienced CBs he may have had a little less pressure.

266 posts