Smallest Attack in Champ

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Smallest Attack in Champ

by Vision » 01 Aug 2018 15:09

Stranded
Crotts
NewCorkSeth I really want you to. I want shedloads of the BEST wingers the game has ever had.

John Robertson - Notts Forest. Probably the best winger ever to play in our top league.
Eddie Gray - Leeds Utd
Riquelme - argentina
David Beckham - Man Utd
Zico - Brazil
Ronaldinho - Brazil
Chris Waddle - Spurs

This is a Reading forum, this discussion on slow wingers should have begun and finished with Glenn Little.

It should also include actual wingers too , of which around half of his list aren't.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Aug 2018 15:27

Stranded
Crotts
NewCorkSeth I really want you to. I want shedloads of the BEST wingers the game has ever had.

John Robertson - Notts Forest. Probably the best winger ever to play in our top league.
Eddie Gray - Leeds Utd
Riquelme - argentina
David Beckham - Man Utd
Zico - Brazil
Ronaldinho - Brazil
Chris Waddle - Spurs

This is a Reading forum, this discussion on slow wingers should have begun and finished with Glenn Little.

Shed loads was a key word.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 Aug 2018 15:27

Crotts
Tilehurstsouthbank
Crotts
But how exactly is that going to help him win a header in a challenge with a 6ft 3inch centre half ? We will need to put that kind of ball into the box when our 'pass the opposition to death' approach doesn't work.

Again, this is where a little investigation goes a long way. Paul Clement's playing style is a possession based game. A little less laboured than that under Stam, but you won't see many balls fired at height into anyone.

The problem is we do not have the players for an effective possession based game. We also do not have the players for a long ball game or for a 'park the bus and hit them on the break' based game. We have the players for a 'high possession but create few clear chances but give the opposition loads of clear chances' type of game. We're doomed !

That's the spirit! Never give up! :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Aug 2018 15:28

NewCorkSeth
Stranded
Crotts
Eddie Gray - Leeds Utd
Riquelme - argentina
David Beckham - Man Utd
Zico - Brazil
Ronaldinho - Brazil
Chris Waddle - Spurs

Shed loads was a key word.

Not disagreeing, but that makes his omission even worse.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Aug 2018 15:39

Crotts We have signed two similar style small strikers in Baldock and McNulty whereas we need a tall strong central striker who can win the ball in the air, hold it up for other players to join in, and who can also score with his head when challenged by a tall centre back.

Yes Bodvarsson is tall but anyone who understands the strengths and weaknesses of players they watch would realise that Bodvarsson is not a centre forward. His best position is as a right wing support striker. As for Meite. After the first few games Meite will not even be anywhere near the bench let alone start a match, so including him in discussions about whether we have aerieal strength up front is about as much use as discussing whether we should sign Richard Osman from Pointless.

The two strikers we have signed are Le Fondre style goal poachers, but we currently create very few of the kind of opportunities to score goals that these kind of strikers need. We have had two similar style poachers on loan in recent years in Vydra and Grabban who only managed 17 goals in 91 appearances for us. However when playing for other clubs (that create poacher type six yard box chances) last year they are the top scoring strikers in the championship !!

We need a striker not in the mould of Le Fondre, Lovell or Cureton but more like a Jimmy Quinn, Trevor Senior, Kerry Dixon, Jason Roberts.

Good post. Anyone wondering why we score few goals, some of the answers lay therein.

Have been saying similar for a while, actually. Given the strikers we have/haven't signed, think we'll miss Yann's heading ability - in both boxes (when he was fit). Regardless of style, in this div would think this has to be at least another look/plan B option in your squad.

Somewhat related, our CB's aren't much aerial threat in opposing boxes either, at free kicks or corners. At times I've actually thought we really have no business putting a ball high in the air in the box.

Conversely, many weeks we play vs. big strikers and big CB's who give us probs defensively. With our lineups, we haven't been playing the percentages, imo, and think it should be a priority to redress some of these imbalances.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Aug 2018 16:37

since when is Bod slow anyway? Always looked reasonably fast to me

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Aug 2018 16:42

Hound since when is Bod slow anyway? Always looked reasonably fast to me

Are you really slow and he just looks fast in comparison?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Aug 2018 17:17

It doesn’t matter who our strikers are or aren’t to a certain degree. Our style of play is so mishmashed and laboured we waste most good opportunities several passes before it would even come to pass. No clear understanding of what to do, poor communication, poor movement consequently a toothless attack.

I’d just like to see a better team effort this season. At times under Clement last season we saw a more organised defensive effort where players knew their’s and other’s roles. I’d like to see more of that all over the park, it really is up there with the least you should expect from professionals. Obviously pre season hasn’t instilled much confidence but the real test will be Derby. I think it will become pretty apparent from quite early on how we stand in that regard.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Aug 2018 17:43

NewCorkSeth
Hound since when is Bod slow anyway? Always looked reasonably fast to me

Are you really slow and he just looks fast in comparison?

Ha no, not that

I’ve just never thought of him as slow. Think he is actually pretty quick, just the way he runs makes him look a bit leggy

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Aug 2018 07:37

Stranded
Crotts

Eddie Gray - Leeds Utd
Riquelme - argentina
David Beckham - Man Utd
Zico - Brazil
Ronaldinho - Brazil
Chris Waddle - Spurs

amen.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Aug 2018 07:49

Our wingers need to pull their socks up.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Aug 2018 08:01

Snowball Our wingers need to pull their socks up.

Hope this gets the accolades it deserves.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Aug 2018 08:46

Old Man Andrews

Still my most favourite-ever football moment

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 02 Aug 2018 09:09

Snowball
Old Man Andrews

Still my most favourite-ever football moment

Bravo!

It is up there. I think mine must be when a Norwich supporter in the south stand was giving it the biggun walking down the stairs and then stacked to the bottom.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 02 Aug 2018 10:33

If you're small enough, you're good enough.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 19 Aug 2018 22:44

John Smith
RoyalJones Would still like to see another target man come in regardless but that won't happen now, think Meite should be put on the wing and Bodvarsson therefore would be our only target man striker (I think?) with Kermorgant terminating his contract, could do with another one especially if we are playing one up top.

Wow. I've seen some things on this forum but a target man on the wing is really up there.
What the oxf*rd are you on about?!

He has been played on the wing at times this season, not sure if he's better as a target man or winger

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Aug 2018 23:38

RoyalJones
John Smith
RoyalJones Would still like to see another target man come in regardless but that won't happen now, think Meite should be put on the wing and Bodvarsson therefore would be our only target man striker (I think?) with Kermorgant terminating his contract, could do with another one especially if we are playing one up top.

Wow. I've seen some things on this forum but a target man on the wing is really up there.
What the oxf*rd are you on about?!

He has been played on the wing at times this season, not sure if he's better as a target man or winger

I like Meite. He’s what we aren’t. Could use more of his ilk in Champ. Good signing by Stam, then a good loan out, where he clearly progressed. And now props to Clement for seeing first team potential. Only 22, prolly better in middle right now (wish he was couple inches taller), PC playing him wide to get him on the park. Worried his growth might get squeezed out by other forwards, and rumors bringing in another on loan.