Good or poor business

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Good or poor business

by andrew1957 » 31 Jul 2018 16:12

I have to say I am somewhat astounded by the recent transfer dealing and would question whether the deals we are doing make sense.
I really do think we have let Evans go on the cheap as the Derby fee is now being widely reported at just 350K. Evans was one of our better players in 2016/17. He offered cover at DMF and also did ok at CB on occasions and bearing in mind how short we are in those positions right now taking 350K could look very short sighted if we get a lot of injuries this season.
And now it is being widely reported that we have paid 3.5M up front for Baldock. According to North Stand Chat he was injured for much of last season and only played a couple of games. If we had paid say 1M up front perhaps worth the risk but 3.5M seems a heck of a risk. It could pay off if he regains his 2016/17 form but he could equally turn out to be another Aluko or suffer an early injury and play little part in the season.
I have been accused of being too RTG in the past but have to say our squad looks very thin this season and a couple of injuries will leave us reliant on unproven academy lads. Thankfully we do seem to have genuine talents coming through the Academy but the Championship looks to be tougher than ever this season.
In the Championship how you perform the first 6 - 10 games tends to define your season and I cannot say that I am confident of a good start.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Good or poor business

by Sutekh » 31 Jul 2018 16:31

Reading needed to get rid in the massively bloated midfield area. Sadly Evans was the only one anyone wanted despite most of us preferring others to depart first. That said I think Bacuna, Meyler and an in form Swift (who does look to be nearer to his earlier form so far) are all better options and with Kelly looking more like he did previously and Clement also looking brighter it was always going to be a tough call on who sits on the bench. It’s better for him to leave and if he can 1st team games at Derby good luck to him. Hope he has a great career but just not against Reading obviously.

Looking at the dealings overall there’s no one at all who fires the interest and it seems to be a load of “steady eddies” who can do a job and not much more. But then that might be more what Reading need right now as last season they couldn’t find anyone to do a job anywhere for the most part. Again a first step on a long road, Reading seem good at getting chances to start these journies but then also rather good at getting lost almost immediately.

Perhaps the next signing should be a rather decent map and an orienteering course.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 16:34

Evans was about our 12th best performer in the play off season. He didnt contribute much at all until the play offs

Baldock was 2.5m up front from the sound of it. Which is about right for a 29 year old proven striker

Our squad is anything but thin. It is bloody huge, with many players of a similar standard. We could probably have about 15 injuries and still turn out an experienced 11. The fact we are without Obita, McCleary, Popa, O'Shea, Edwards already and can still only have one recent academy player (Richards) in the first team squad says it all.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 31 Jul 2018 16:45

Current pricing for CFs atm is insane. So Baldocks price is probably about right. No point worrying about if he get injured as thats part of the game.
Clement can only judge by what h has seen. We needed rid of deadwood in the middle, With Meyler coming in, Evans was probs the only asset in CM that some one was gunna pay for. Therefore we sold him. It is unfortunate but I am seeing this as a lil bit taken off wage bill a lil bit of cash and a space opens for the youth to step in to.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 31 Jul 2018 16:59

Coppells Lost Coat Current pricing for CFs atm is insane. So Baldocks price is probably about right. No point worrying about if he get injured as thats part of the game.
Clement can only judge by what h has seen. We needed rid of deadwood in the middle, With Meyler coming in, Evans was probs the only asset in CM that some one was gunna pay for. Therefore we sold him. It is unfortunate but I am seeing this as a lil bit taken off wage bill a lil bit of cash and a space opens for the youth to step in to.

This exactly, Evans was a good player who will probably go on and be a very good player but this deal frees up some salary space and gives the likes of Rhinamota a chance to come through the ranks. Only time will tell :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jul 2018 17:06

Those prices would be a bit disappointing, but Evans' time certainly seems up and Baldock is still a steal at £3m if Waghorn is £8M (he's not).

With Evans and Joey gone we're a bit light in midfield, but maybe good things are expected of Rinomhota or we're working on something that needed Evans to go through. There's also always Bacuna and Edwards potentially too. Kelly has played fairly deep too.

I think our business has been good. We might be too far gone (I doubt it) but it's better for our long term prospects than spunking another shit tonne on toss like Aluko

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 31 Jul 2018 17:14

Love an andrew1957 thread.
andrew1957 In the Championship how you perform the first 6 - 10 games tends to define your season and I cannot say that I am confident of a good start.

I think we have this tete a tete every season, but the first 6-10 games are no more important than the second 6-10 games, or the last 6-10 games.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 31 Jul 2018 17:15

46 cup finals, eh, andrew?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 31 Jul 2018 17:16

Except I should say, the period over christmas. I think I'm right in saying you get 6 points for a win for those games.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 31 Jul 2018 17:18

Green Love an andrew1957 thread.

Hi Green.

Any update on October 6th?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 31 Jul 2018 17:20

Checks his 2011/12 Season Review DVD

1 win
1 draw
4 losses

Top Scorer - Mathieu Manset (2)

8) :lol:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Jul 2018 17:52

Snowflake Royal it’s better for our long term prospects than spunking another shit tonne on toss like Aluko

Spunking another shit tonne? Someone in here today said Aluko was actually
3mil up front, plus any add-on’s. So, similar to Baldock.

Anyway, think there are limits to relevance with regard to Aluko. Thus far, he’s been our worst signing in recent years. If we compare every signing to him, then most every signing will look great. But it’s a very low bar to set, and very much an outlier rather than a useful or valuable metric, imo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 17:54

At an educated guess looking at the accounts, reckon Aluko cost about 5m up front, which is proper nasty

I don’t think the other signings over the last couple of years have been particularly bad value, just too much of the same thing

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jul 2018 17:55

You can't take the lowest value rumour for one player and the highest for another and hope for credibility.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Jul 2018 18:08

Hound Evans was about our 12th best performer in the play off season. He didnt contribute much at all until the play offs

Baldock was 2.5m up front from the sound of it. Which is about right for a 29 year old proven striker

Our squad is anything but thin. It is bloody huge, with many players of a similar standard. We could probably have about 15 injuries and still turn out an experienced 11. The fact we are without Obita, McCleary, Popa, O'Shea, Edwards already and can still only have one recent academy player (Richards) in the first team squad says it all.

Yep and I would expect Popa to be loaned out given we have Barrow, Aluko, McCleary and Harriott.
Edwards injury has prevented us from loaning him out too.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Jul 2018 18:37

Snowflake Royal You can't take the lowest value rumour for one player and the highest for another and hope for credibility.

Yep, credibility can be thin on the ground when we don't know much or it's 'undisclosed'. For example, Aluko has often been pegged at +7mil in here in discussions (maybe by you, too?). When in fact, we don't really know. So at times, we're taking a guess, educated or otherwise.

At one point yesterday, it was alleged Baldock would essentially be a straight swap money-wise to Evans (~1mil).

Then later we read: "The Argus understands the Seagulls will receive a sizeable guaranteed payment from Reading which, supplemented by additional clauses, would elevate the overall figure for Baldock's exit to approaching £5 million".

(Oh, and then Evans leaves for ~250k?)

And anyway, I did say they could be 'similar', and not exactly the same.

But yeah, with all the disinformation and non-information we have to go by, the goal posts can be all over the place. Sometimes, to suit :wink:
Last edited by Denver Royal on 31 Jul 2018 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jul 2018 18:42

I'm satisfied that Aluko was terrible business at £7.50 and some soft mints.

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1