Liam Moore Hypocrite or Hero?

133 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Liam Moore Hypocrite or Hero?

by Hound » 13 Aug 2018 16:09

still managed to concede 3 goals to average teams. Obvious statement but we'd have 4 points if we hadn't conceded a goal this season

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 13 Aug 2018 16:18

Hound still managed to concede 3 goals to average teams. Obvious statement but we'd have 4 points if we hadn't conceded a goal this season

Maybe against forest he could have made a slight difference. But the 2 against Derby, 1 was a GK error and 2nd was a beaut of a ball and a fluke finish. However He could of played and only be 50% committed and they may have scored 4. We'll never know.
Just seems strange that at Villa their player plays, and plays well even though he is being touted to the highest bidder. But our best defender doesn't even feature in the squad even though he apparently was never going to be sold.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 13 Aug 2018 16:30

If you can improve a side, even a position of strength, you do it, regardless of how well you feel you have played. (And that's from someone who, unlike some, has maintained that McShane has played well the first 2 games).

Derby and Forest were good opportunities, and it may have been as good a time to play them as any.

Home opener, vs. young rookie manager, in his first game, with no experience. (They got spanked at home yesterday).

Forest away, have to play that fixture sometime, so why not when they have just brought in 9 new players, and when they may not be fully...'acclimated'. Beating us was their first win in 3 games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Aug 2018 17:36

Victor Meldrew
Snowflake Royal It's really not worth the effort with you two.

Good.
BTW Ian I don't think you even know when you are being objectionable.
Can't you ever post in a considered and occasionally friendly way?
You never know, you might actually enjoy it and find that people are much more inclined to have a civil debate with you.

I can, I just choose not to for people I've no respect for saying something I think is stupid.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Aug 2018 17:38

sandman I actually happen to agree with you on why Moore didn't play, Ian.

Just found it funny you seemed to think Clough, a man who once sent his keeper to go and train on a roundabout, was the sort of bloke that would spend all week doing meticulous tactical work. Most of that would have been left to Taylor.

Oh dear, putting words in my mouth there.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Aug 2018 18:46

Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew
Snowflake Royal It's really not worth the effort with you two.

Good.
BTW Ian I don't think you even know when you are being objectionable.
Can't you ever post in a considered and occasionally friendly way?
You never know, you might actually enjoy it and find that people are much more inclined to have a civil debate with you.

I can, I just choose not to for people I've no respect for saying something I think is stupid.

Roll on may.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Aug 2018 20:19

Denver Royal If you can improve a side, even a position of strength, you do it, regardless of how well you feel you have played. (And that's from someone who, unlike some, has maintained that McShane has played well the first 2 games).

Derby and Forest were good opportunities, and it may have been as good a time to play them as any.

Home opener, vs. young rookie manager, in his first game, with no experience. (They got spanked at home yesterday).

Forest away, have to play that fixture sometime, so why not when they have just brought in 9 new players, and when they may not be fully...'acclimated'. Beating us was their first win in 3 games.

Technically you are correct, but that is "spin"

They overwhelmed WBA for much of that game and it should have
been all over by HT (and WBA will challenge this year despite a sticky start)

and a draw at Bristol will probably turn out to be a very good point

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Aug 2018 20:20

Hound still managed to concede 3 goals to average teams. Obvious statement but we'd have 4 points if we hadn't conceded a goal this season

Maybe six.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Aug 2018 20:22

If we had played "Transfer Request" Moore who then left
how would that have affected team morale?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Aug 2018 20:23

leon Personally I’d have trained the fcuker into the ground and made him clean the toilets with his toothbrush.

That's what happened, except he didn't have his toothbrush so used yours...

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Aug 2018 10:23

Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew
Snowflake Royal I'd suspect he did do some light training, but isn't match sharp and integrated for tactics in time for Forest, plus it sends the message that he doesn't just waltz straight back in.

Blimey Ian when did football stop being the simple game that it is?
"Integrated for tactics"?
He is a centre-back who played under this manager for the last 10 (?) games last season and his job is to stop the opposition strikers from scoring.
Not sure that there is much in terms of tactical discussions that he would have missed out on and I fully expect him to be back in the side sooner rather than later to bring his athleticism and determination to central defence.

You'd think watching football for half a century or more might give you a hint that defence is a bit more complex and involved than a bunch of individuals trying to make tackles and blocks. Or do you think training just involves some exercise, and a fun XI a side kick-about?

Just one further point on your "integrated tactics".
Villa played McGinn on Saturday having signed him on Wednesday and Ipswich played two who had signed on Wednesday.
Moore has been with us for 2 seasons (or is it 3?) and Clement has been his manager/coach for 10 games at the end of last season and through pre-season since July.
Do you seriously believe that he is unaware how this team plays and who does what?
If other managers, including the very experience Steve Bruce, feel that a player can come straight into a side (and put in a man-of-the-match performance) then surely the well-established Moore, very much a leader on the pitch, hardly needs to be a concern to his manager over "integrated tactics".

Other reasons may have affected the manager's decision but this is not one of them and I am afraid that you have fallen into the media trap that football is supposedly so much about tactics when it is now, and always has been, about the players' ability.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2018 11:31

Clement has been working with him every day for the last 2 months over the transfer period. I suspect he is best placed to decide whether Moore was ready or not mentally and physically, and decided he would rather keep Ilori and McShane together, having played reasonably well as a pair against Derby.

Moore will likely play tonight and that hopefully will be the end of the matter

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Aug 2018 11:57

I was always a fan of McShane but seeing him at Forest was like watching Pearce run, his legs move quickly but he doesn't cover the ground.

We need Moore back.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 14 Aug 2018 12:05

The more you look at this the more it doesn't make sense.
The timing of the statement. Why did the owners wait so long before telling Moore that wasn't being sold regardless. Why he hasn't featured in the competitive games since but was involved in the friendlies during.
Lets all hope he gets his head down and pushes for a starting role. But lets face it, we should not be relying on him staying unless we get promoted this season.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Aug 2018 12:07

genome
FiNeRaIn Get over it. Why would any player want to stay in this current Reading setup when we have zero ambition to reach the premier league? If there was any doubt before the transfer window about the clubs intentions, that's been put to bed with the huge lack of investment in our squad while the genuine promotion contenders of the division added all summer. The club is not going anywhere in its current state and I would absolutely try and force a move also. As it stands we have him until January, his agent will be in his ear motivating him so someone from the prem panics and overspends on him during the next window. Fair play to him.

On the flip side - if we didn't have ambition to get to the Premier League, why are our owners saying that they wouldn't sell our best player for any price?
To get the fans off their back and to bump the price up?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Aug 2018 12:13

But how many of them are down to an individual error of one of the CB's? None from what I can tell. Liam Moore playing or not playing hasn't had any impact so far for me. Lack of killer instinct is what has killed us thus far.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Aug 2018 12:53

Old Man Andrews

But how many of them are down to an individual error of one of the CB's? None from what I can tell. Liam Moore playing or not playing hasn't had any impact so far for me. Lack of killer instinct is what has killed us thus far.

Impossible to know how those games would have panned out but the Forest goal looked to be just the sort where Moore would probably have rushed out to block, something he does better than any of our other defenders.

One thought, why is he not our captain?
Clearly on the pitch he is always the team's leader but maybe he really isn't the team player that we all think of him as otherwise he would surely have picked up the captain's armband ahead of the toothless Gunter last season?.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Aug 2018 13:00

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews

Clearly on the pitch he is always the team's leader but maybe he really isn't the team player that we all think of him as otherwise he would surely have picked up the captain's armband ahead of the toothless Gunter last season?.

He should have been made our captain last season for sure. Impossible for him to do it now after what happened this summer, would send the wrong message.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Aug 2018 13:20

Heropocrite?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Aug 2018 20:30

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews

He should have been made our captain last season for sure. Impossible for him to do it now after what happened this summer, would send the wrong message.
uhuh

133 posts