MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7382
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Sutekh » 12 Aug 2018 11:11

ImageImage

When : Tuesday, 14th August, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

A first cup game of the new season against another side already struggling in the early days of the new league season. Birmingham at least have one point to show from their two games though unlike Reading's sorry state of affairs which sees them as one of only 2 teams left to record some pointage.

Paul Clement is expected to play a side that is more about the players that haven't really been involved so far so expect Sam Walker to take over in goal and O'Shea and Moore(!) as the central defenders. Also expect Clement and McNulty to play and probably also Rinomhota

The tie itself is probably one of the least interesting ties of the round and certainly to both sets of supporters is about as dull as you could get. Therefore I'm not expecting much more than around 7/8k in my opinion so travel and parking really shouldn't be any issue if you are going.

Referee

Northamptonshire's Dean Whitestone for this one.

Image

Previously

05 Apr 2016 > Reading 2-1 Nottm Forest
22 Mar 2014 > Birmingham City 1-2 Reading
23 Aug 2011 > Charlton Athletic 2-1 Reading (League Cup)
22 Feb 2011 > Reading 2- Millwall
17 Feb 2010 > Crystal Palace 1-3 Reading
07 Nov 2009 > Reading 1-1 Ipswich Town
26 Aug 2008 > Reading 5-1 Luton Town (League Cup)

Historically

No meetings before 1986 in any competition

First league cup game between the sides. Only other home cup game was the 1-0 win at Elm Park in 1992 in the FA Cup 1st Round

How to follow the game

  1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1094
Joined: 02 Nov 2008 18:56

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Mid Sussex Royal » 12 Aug 2018 12:47

Didn't we play them in the FA cup in the 106 season?

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4616
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Aug 2018 13:55

I don't trust Dean Whitestone. Not even slightly.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4389
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2018 14:30

Presumably be some changes for this one.

I'd quite like to see some starts for at least some of Moore, McNulty, Clement, Rinomhota, Walker, Richards and Bacuna... not sure I can realistically see that many changes though. I'm assuming that the likes of Aluko, Popa and Harriott who didn't make the squad for Forest won't be ready by Tuesday. Most of the new signings should probably get time out there. The right side is a real problem though if Aluko, Popa and Gunter are all unavailable...

.....................Walker
Yiadom, Moore, Ilori, Richards
Meite, Bacuna, Meyler, Barrow
............McNulty, Baldock

Maybe?

User avatar
bobby1413
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11673
Joined: 07 Apr 2005 10:55
Location: Reading

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by bobby1413 » 12 Aug 2018 14:40

Completely forgot about this game


User avatar
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6043
Joined: 12 Aug 2011 13:44

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2018 14:41

.
Last edited by CountryRoyal on 12 Aug 2018 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7298
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Hound » 12 Aug 2018 14:43

I’m actually pretty looking forward to it. Would say it’s far more interesting than if we were playing some rubbish from L2

Will give Moore a decent run out and chance to get back into the swing of things. Bacuna a full game hopefully and likewise for McNulty and maybe Popa

Wouldn’t be that fussed about the result but we could certainly do with a confidence boost

Expect something like

Walker
Yiadom Moore o Shea Richards
Popa Bacuna Clement Meite
Swift
McNulty

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4616
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Aug 2018 14:57

Snowflake Royal wrote:Presumably be some changes for this one.

I'd quite like to see some starts for at least some of Moore, McNulty, Clement, Rinomhota, Walker, Richards and Bacuna... not sure I can realistically see that many changes though. I'm assuming that the likes of Aluko, Popa and Harriott who didn't make the squad for Forest won't be ready by Tuesday. Most of the new signings should probably get time out there. The right side is a real problem though if Aluko, Popa and Gunter are all unavailable...

.....................Walker
Yiadom, Moore, Ilori, Richards
Meite, Bacuna, Meyler, Barrow
............McNulty, Baldock

Maybe?


Why the hell would you want to play Barrow in an early round League Cup game? He gets injured we are f*cked.

User avatar
bobby1413
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11673
Joined: 07 Apr 2005 10:55
Location: Reading

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by bobby1413 » 12 Aug 2018 14:58

CountryRoyal wrote:.


That is one of your better posts tbf


User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4616
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Aug 2018 15:12

CountryRoyal wrote:.


Great shout.

User avatar
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6043
Joined: 12 Aug 2011 13:44

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2018 15:24

bobby1413 wrote:
CountryRoyal wrote:.


That is one of your better posts tbf


Valid.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4389
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2018 17:30

Old Man Andrews wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:Presumably be some changes for this one.

I'd quite like to see some starts for at least some of Moore, McNulty, Clement, Rinomhota, Walker, Richards and Bacuna... not sure I can realistically see that many changes though. I'm assuming that the likes of Aluko, Popa and Harriott who didn't make the squad for Forest won't be ready by Tuesday. Most of the new signings should probably get time out there. The right side is a real problem though if Aluko, Popa and Gunter are all unavailable...

.....................Walker
Yiadom, Moore, Ilori, Richards
Meite, Bacuna, Meyler, Barrow
............McNulty, Baldock

Maybe?


Why the hell would you want to play Barrow in an early round League Cup game? He gets injured we are f*cked.

I think it's mainly because I wanted to keep the best part of our attack present to help the newer strikers, and we don't seem to have a fit alternative.

He's no more likely to get injured against Brum than Bolton or Forest.

User avatar
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7975
Joined: 09 Nov 2016 00:25

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by BR0B0T » 12 Aug 2018 22:43

Big game for Clement!


windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1777
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 12:18

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by windermereROYAL » 12 Aug 2018 23:31

BR0B0T wrote:Big game for Clement!


#obsessed

Rea Ding
Member
Posts: 436
Joined: 07 Dec 2012 21:48
Location: Reading

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Rea Ding » 14 Aug 2018 14:12

penalties after 90 mins could be different

Coppells Lost Coat
Member
Posts: 339
Joined: 28 Sep 2017 15:44

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Coppells Lost Coat » 14 Aug 2018 14:30

Personally I would like to see a strong(ish) squad. A mix of the bench from forest plus a few youngsters and Moore. Maybe Barrow and Kelly on the Bench. McNulty and Baldock to start.
We need a win and get the season on the way.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6229
Joined: 12 Apr 2005 19:22
Location: South Coast

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Aug 2018 15:05

Snowflake Royal wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:Presumably be some changes for this one.

I'd quite like to see some starts for at least some of Moore, McNulty, Clement, Rinomhota, Walker, Richards and Bacuna... not sure I can realistically see that many changes though. I'm assuming that the likes of Aluko, Popa and Harriott who didn't make the squad for Forest won't be ready by Tuesday. Most of the new signings should probably get time out there. The right side is a real problem though if Aluko, Popa and Gunter are all unavailable...

.....................Walker
Yiadom, Moore, Ilori, Richards
Meite, Bacuna, Meyler, Barrow
............McNulty, Baldock

Maybe?


Why the hell would you want to play Barrow in an early round League Cup game? He gets injured we are f*cked.

I think it's mainly because I wanted to keep the best part of our attack present to help the newer strikers, and we don't seem to have a fit alternative.

He's no more likely to get injured against Brum than Bolton or Forest.


Maybe also the players shouldn't train anymore as so many injuries seem to happen then. :wink:

User avatar
Armadillo Roadkill
Member
Posts: 744
Joined: 03 Nov 2007 20:47
Location: In a zone of great calm

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Aug 2018 16:06

A team comprised solely of (the available) players who have not started yet this season would be interesting. Maybe a bit weak up front (as if that wasn't already the case), so we could just play three at the back and the rest could all be midfielders.

Would like to go through, as a decent cup feature is likely to be the best chance we get for a bit of glory. With promotion unlikely, a chance to take on one of the Big Six at home would be something to look forward to. Plus there are few clubs I dislike more then the Blues.

The place will be quiet so a chance to move around a bit - I usually watch the game up close rather than from my usual strategic viewpoint in this sort of fixture.

All in all, looking forward to it.

User avatar
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6043
Joined: 12 Aug 2011 13:44

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by CountryRoyal » 14 Aug 2018 16:48

I can’t remember, is it unreserved seating for this?

Snowball
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15607
Joined: 02 Jan 2009 19:35

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by dull cup draws r us

by Snowball » 14 Aug 2018 18:16

CountryRoyal wrote:I can’t remember, is it unreserved seating for this?


Yes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Singing Defective, windermereROYAL and 51 guests

It is currently 17 Nov 2018 19:30