League Cup 2nd round draw

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: League Cup 2nd round draw

by genome » 16 Aug 2018 21:29

CountryRoyal The most perfectly boring draw for a perfectly boring competition.

YAWN.

Nah, it's not that bad a draw at all.

Premier League team with some handy players, it will be a good test. Certainly better than drawing MK Dons away or something

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Aug 2018 21:39

genome
CountryRoyal The most perfectly boring draw for a perfectly boring competition.

YAWN.

Nah, it's not that bad a draw at all.

Premier League team with some handy players, it will be a good test. Certainly better than drawing MK Dons away or something

Couple of really nice restaurants in Milton Keynes.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Aug 2018 21:42

Old Man Andrews Couple of really nice roundabouts in Milton Keynes.

Fixed that for you

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2018 21:43

Surprised people wanted Oxford really. Horrible stadium in a horrible part of some hard to get to place that it isn’t even very close to Reading.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2018 21:43

genome

Fixed that for you

There’s more than a couple of roundabouts in MK tbf. Very strange place

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Aug 2018 21:44

Hound Surprised people wanted Oxford really. Horrible stadium in a horrible part of some hard to get to place that it isn’t even very close to Reading.

Just wanted to park behind the goal..... Another dream dashed.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Aug 2018 21:46

Hound
genome

Fixed that for you

I went to MK Dons away once, it was a horrendously empty experience. I was going to make a point of it on here after the game but then I figured it's probably what going to the Madejski is like for away supporters

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Aug 2018 21:47

genome
Hound
genome
Fixed that for you

I went to MK Dons away once, it was a horrendously empty experience. I was going to make a point of it on here after the game but then I figured it's probably what going to the Madejski is like for away supporters

It wasn't that awful game that we lost 1-0 was it? I lost part of my soul that day.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Aug 2018 21:48

Old Man Andrews
genome
Hound

It wasn't that awful game that we lost 1-0 was it? I lost part of my soul that day.

It was. I've never quite been the same since.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2018 21:51

Went to the stadium for a non-football related event, stayed in the hotel in the stadium. Proper odd, the hotel is actually part of the stadium that each of the rooms open out onto a view of the pitch

It’s not a bad set up or stadium. Just very middle class and corporate

Can understand why away supporters would compare it to the Madejski. Suppose the difference is you at least have a decent town nearby to have a few drinks in etc before and after the game. Fcuk knows where the centre of MK is, I certainly didn’t find it. MK also somehow manages to be right in the middle of the country but miles away from anywhere

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Aug 2018 22:10

I ventured into the centre of Milton Keyenes after the game. Confusing, odd and robotic place. I got the impression all of the residents are there as a result of a science experiment, all of them were formed in test tubes I'm sure of it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Aug 2018 22:31

Watford? Well at least it’s at home. Will Mariappa play?

JR

by JR » 16 Aug 2018 23:25

Hound Thought it was a reasonable draw. Could be far worse - Norwich away or something

Home tie always helpful. Not that bothered if we win but gives the chance for the fringe players to get a good competitive game in.

Why wouldn’t you want to win this game? Surely the opportunity of an unexpected run to the league cup semis is appealing?

Also this fringe players view is not correct this season - we have a newish manager with 20 odd players fighting for a starting place. Very few are guaranteed and very few are truly fringe, so really it’s the perfect season for the league cup.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 17 Aug 2018 07:26

East Grinstead Royal
Victor Meldrew
bobby1413 Oxford or West Ham - home or away please

If it is West Ham it will bring back memories of that game on 9/11.
The eeriest game I have ever been to.

I was only talking to my eldest son about that a few days ago. I remember driving along the M4 thinking the world will never be quite the same after today. I guess I was right, although not in quite the way I had imagined. As for the game, I know there were chants of "Shaka is a Royal" and we won on penalties. Don't remember much else apart from a general feeling of bewilderment among the crowd.

I remember that game. In fact, as a 15 year old kid it was respite from the news although everyone was like zombies, in their own minds. Surprised it still went ahead

Scenes I never ever want to see again in my lifetime

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Aug 2018 08:02

Reading4eva
East Grinstead Royal
Victor Meldrew
If it is West Ham it will bring back memories of that game on 9/11.
The eeriest game I have ever been to.

I was only talking to my eldest son about that a few days ago. I remember driving along the M4 thinking the world will never be quite the same after today. I guess I was right, although not in quite the way I had imagined. As for the game, I know there were chants of "Shaka is a Royal" and we won on penalties. Don't remember much else apart from a general feeling of bewilderment among the crowd.

I remember that game. In fact, as a 15 year old kid it was respite from the news although everyone was like zombies, in their own minds. Surprised it still went ahead

Scenes I never ever want to see again in my lifetime

Such a shame we didn't draw Bournemouth eh Reading4eva. You could have worn your half and half shirt.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Aug 2018 08:24

What? Half red stripes, half black stripes?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Aug 2018 09:47

Old Man Andrews I ventured into the centre of Milton Keyenes after the game. Confusing, odd and robotic place. I got the impression all of the residents are there as a result of a science experiment, all of them were formed in test tubes I'm sure of it.

The only redeeming feature is going around spotting locations used in Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 17 Aug 2018 11:26

Ark Royal Fond memories of a 2nd round 2-2 draw at Vicarage Road in September 92. One of the first signs that Mark McGhee was beginning to put together something special. Jimmy Quinn and Adie Williams notched IIRC. A biblical downpour flooded the away end and I was sodden by the time I got back to the car parked by the allotments.

Remember this one very well. The scoreline flattered Watford that evening. We took them apart, playing superb stuff. As you say, this was at the start of the time when the team really clicked under McGhee. Adie Williams headed in a corner with 5 minutes left, to send me home happy despite the downpour. We lost the 2nd leg at Elm Park 2-0 IIRC but you still knew that Reading team was going places.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Aug 2018 13:29

Interesting that this is a home tie as well. I guess only time will tell but you really have to feel that this is the last roll of the dice for Club 1871 - the organisation has hit rock bottom after Tuesday. Where do they turn now?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Aug 2018 13:36

You really don’t....

Wtf are you on about now?