Team for Bolton (h)

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Team for Bolton (h)

by SCIAG » 17 Aug 2018 14:27

With all six of our senior wingers struggling with injuries or fitness, who would you pick to play Bolton and how would you line up?

Popa is available but lacking fitness, Bacuna is struggling but should play, and Edwards and Obita are also out. There are also selection dilemmas in defence, midfield, and attack.

I'd be inclined to push Bacuna and Richards up to play on the wings with Yiadom and Blackett at full back.

For me:

Mannone; Yiadom, Ilori, Moore, Blackett; Bacuna, Meyler, Swift, Richards; McNulty, Bodvarsson
Subs: Walker, McShane, O'Shea, Kelly, Popa, Clement, Baldock

Could be a case for playing Clement on the left maybe? What about using one of the strikers out wide? Do you go for Kelly or Swift, Moore or McShane?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Team for Bolton (h)

by Nameless » 17 Aug 2018 15:09

Why not three at the back with Yiadom and Richards as wingbacks ?

Mannone

Ilori. McShame Moore

Yiadom. Myler. Kelly. Richards

Swift

Baldock. McNulty

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Aug 2018 15:35

SCIAG With all six of our senior wingers struggling with injuries or fitness, who would you pick to play Bolton and how would you line up?

Popa is available but lacking fitness, Bacuna is struggling but should play, and Edwards and Obita are also out. There are also selection dilemmas in defence, midfield, and attack.

I'd be inclined to push Bacuna and Richards up to play on the wings with Yiadom and Blackett at full back.

For me:

Mannone; Yiadom, Ilori, Moore, Blackett; Bacuna, Meyler, Swift, Richards; McNulty, Bodvarsson
Subs: Walker, McShane, O'Shea, Kelly, Popa, Clement, Baldock

Could be a case for playing Clement on the left maybe? What about using one of the strikers out wide? Do you go for Kelly or Swift, Moore or McShane?

I'd be very similar to this. I'm assuming one of Meite or Barrow would be fit, so would go:

Mannone; Yiadom, Ilori, Moore, Blackett; Bacuna, Meyler, Swift, Meite/Barrow, Baldock, Bodvarsson

Would be happy to swap in McNulty for either of the other two forwards though, complete toss up between the 3 which 2 start. Agree would like to see Bacuna and Meyler in midfield with Swift in front of them. Thought there was a lot of good stuff from Swift on Tuesday, and Bacuna add more athleticism and strength to the midfield than Kelly. Would really hope those 3 would dominate the middle.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 17 Aug 2018 15:50

McNulty or Baldock ? Was going to make this a separate topic; but in the circumstances, team for Saturday is the right one to raise this question.
Are they too similar ?
I must admit I was more impressed with Baldock on Tuesday night rather than McNulty; but it was only during the highlights after;that I realised McNulty had put in a peach of a pass for the 1st goal. I was also suprised that Baldock played up front and McNulty behind him-but presumably Clement has spotted something in McNulty ;rather than him just being a pure goal poacher.
As to Saturday;this is an absolute must win game, and Parky being Parky he will try to batter us in midfield. So we have to play a three.Bacuna (?), Meyler and Swift,to counter this.

Perhaps Southgates England tactic of three at the back, and two wing backs;with Baldock and McNulty up front could be the answer, if indeed we have no wide players available(Please Meite and Barrow can play).

The problem with that system;is that Clement probably has not had time to bed it in & as transpired Southgates inability to tweak the system against Croatia, cost us a World Cup Final.However Bolton are not Croatia !

I suspect as suggested if we are wingless-then the same back four as against Brum will be employed.Clement will apply the above three in midfield and use Richards on the left, Bod out wide right (mostly); where he can be effective cutting in (peach of a goal early last season, from that position);with Baldock as the central striker.

Anybody for the skyscraper in goal over Vito ?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 17 Aug 2018 15:51

McNulty or Baldock ? Was going to make this a separate topic; but in the circumstances, team for Saturday is the right one to raise this question.
Are they too similar ?
I must admit I was more impressed with Baldock on Tuesday night rather than McNulty; but it was only during the highlights after;that I realised McNulty had put in a peach of a pass for the 1st goal. I was also suprised that Baldock played up front and McNulty behind him-but presumably Clement has spotted something in McNulty ;rather than him just being a pure goal poacher.
As to Saturday;this is an absolute must win game, and Parky being Parky he will try to batter us in midfield. So we have to play a three.Bacuna (?), Meyler and Swift,to counter this.
Perhaps Southgates England tactic of three at the back, and two wing backs;with Baldock and McNulty could be the answer, if indeed we have no wide players available(Please Meite and Barrow can play).

The problem with that system;is that Clement probably has not had time to bed it in & as transpired Southgates inability to tweak the system against Croatia, cost us a World Cup Final.However Bolton are not Croatia !

I suspect as suggested if we are wingless-then the same back four as against Brum will be employed.Clement will apply the above three in midfield and use Richards on the left, Bod out wide right (mostly); where he can be effective cutting in (peach of a goal early last season, from that position);with Baldock as the central striker.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 17 Aug 2018 17:00

Westwood52 McNulty or Baldock ? Was going to make this a separate topic; but in the circumstances, team for Saturday is the right one to raise this question.
Are they too similar ?
Perhaps Southgates England tactic of three at the back, and two wing backs;with Baldock and McNulty could be the answer, if indeed we have no wide players available(Please Meite and Barrow can play).

I doubt Bolton have anyone as good as Modric and Rakatic in midfield to constantly switch play to exploit our full backs though. If no wingers are fit but Bacuna is, then I’d be inclined to play him as our wide right option. Did a decent job as a full back / wing back and used to play further forward for Villa at times.

Also, I thought Rinomhota used to play more as a wide player but seems to be playing more centrally these days. Haven’t seen enough of the U23s to know though

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Aug 2018 17:43

I think Rimonhota has filled in at full back a bit but he’s a central midfielder and couldn’t see him playing on the wing.
A real wild card choice would be to through Josh Barrett in, but he’d probably last about 20 minutes and we’d probably be better off wheeling McLeary out in a chair. Sad that this could have been a big opportunity for Barrett but he’s probably not even on the long list for selection.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Aug 2018 17:43

Nameless Why not three at the back with Yiadom and Richards as wingbacks ?

My thoughts too. Though O'Shea ahead of McShane. Going to a be physical battle from set pieces.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Aug 2018 17:57

Purely from the small bits I’ve read of Bolton this year they’ll be looking for set pieces

Be another reason to give Bod the nod. If you could put out Moore, Ilori, Blackett, Meyler, Bod, Meite and maybe Bacuna should really be able to handle corners etc. Thought we looked a little short against Derby

Not seen enough of Walker yet, but thought he looked handy. Certainly would have Mannone on a final warning after his Derby screw up

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Aug 2018 10:54

Lower West
Nameless Why not three at the back with Yiadom and Richards as wingbacks ?

My thoughts too. Though O'Shea ahead of McShane. Going to a be physical battle from set pieces.

I would love a back three of Ilori, OShea and Moore

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 18 Aug 2018 12:28

Not sure it’s a Kelly type game

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1