BFTG - Bolton

219 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Bolton

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2018 23:43

Zip
Snowflake Royal Kelly can't drive us forward with the ball because his legs are so short he just can't get away from anyone.

Swift's going to have to play better for me to prefer him though. He was out of position, but for every trick he does better than Kelly, Kelly puts in a challenge Swift wouldn't get close to.

To be honest, I don't have any solutions for midfield. None of the four midfielders who played today did anything to secure a place. I think Kelly did more than the others. It's a low bar though. Swift looked more dangerous but just didn't deliver in my opinion. I think he's a luxury.

I think Kelly would benefit from a couple of weeks playing competitive games with the Academy lads, getting his enthusiasm and creativity back against lesser opposition. And the rest of the team showing some movement.

I'd like to drop Mannone, McShane, Meyler, Kelly, Swift and Baldock, but I can only think of Walker, Ilori and Bodvarsson I'd rather play. And I don't think you can play Meite and Bodvarsson because I don't think Meite should play RW. God we're a mess. Hoping Meyler and the rest of the team just had an off day, as they were much better against Forest.

A bit harsh on Baldock. He needs time to adapt to his team- mates. We really lack options in central midfield. I would drop Kelly and give Swift a few more chances because he does have the ability. Ilori has to come in. Perhaps Bacuna for Meyler but then again Bacuna is very inconsistent.
Mannone is borderline but I do think Walker in goal might just give the defence a bit of a boost. I would play Bodvarsson alongside Baldock.

Problem with Baldock, is he's a bit of a workhorse up front, but he lacks height and strength to lead the line. Bodvarsson and Meite both have that. And I think might be more likely to score. McNulty is a bit hit and miss, but looks likely to be our best finisher, so I'd want him on the pitch if we're playing two upfront. It's close between all four for but so far Baldock has impressed me least.

I just think if we play Swift and Meyler/Bacuna, we're going to get even more overrun, but it is a little six of one, half a dozen of another. Personally, I prefer busy triers than fancy dans. Might be because I'm definitely more of the former.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Aug 2018 23:51

Did Meyler ever extend himself beyond walking around trying to avoid space and then the occasional jog?

Edwards with a beard.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Aug 2018 23:51

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Kelly can't drive us forward with the ball because his legs are so short he just can't get away from anyone.

Swift's going to have to play better for me to prefer him though. He was out of position, but for every trick he does better than Kelly, Kelly puts in a challenge Swift wouldn't get close to.

To be honest, I don't have any solutions for midfield. None of the four midfielders who played today did anything to secure a place. I think Kelly did more than the others. It's a low bar though. Swift looked more dangerous but just didn't deliver in my opinion. I think he's a luxury.

I think Kelly would benefit from a couple of weeks playing competitive games with the Academy lads, getting his enthusiasm and creativity back against lesser opposition. And the rest of the team showing some movement.

I'd like to drop Mannone, McShane, Meyler, Kelly, Swift and Baldock, but I can only think of Walker, Ilori and Bodvarsson I'd rather play. And I don't think you can play Meite and Bodvarsson because I don't think Meite should play RW. God we're a mess. Hoping Meyler and the rest of the team just had an off day, as they were much better against Forest.

A bit harsh on Baldock. He needs time to adapt to his team- mates. We really lack options in central midfield. I would drop Kelly and give Swift a few more chances because he does have the ability. Ilori has to come in. Perhaps Bacuna for Meyler but then again Bacuna is very inconsistent.
Mannone is borderline but I do think Walker in goal might just give the defence a bit of a boost. I would play Bodvarsson alongside Baldock.

Problem with Baldock, is he's a bit of a workhorse up front, but he lacks height and strength to lead the line. Bodvarsson and Meite both have that. And I think might be more likely to score. McNulty is a bit hit and miss, but looks likely to be our best finisher, so I'd want him on the pitch if we're playing two upfront. It's close between all four for but so far Baldock has impressed me least.

I just think if we play Swift and Meyler/Bacuna, we're going to get even more overrun, but it is a little six of one, half a dozen of another. Personally, I prefer busy triers than fancy dans. Might be because I'm definitely more of the former.

I know it was in the league cup against Brum reserves but it’s the only game we’ve actually won.

I think we should go 4-4-2 with two of Swift/Meyler/Bacuna in the middle. None of our strikers are suited to one up top for various reasons. Worst case scenario if its getting overrun just make an early change and put an extra midfielder in.

What’s the worst that could happen - we’d lose. We’re doing that anyway. :lol:

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 18 Aug 2018 23:54

Zip
windermereROYAL Last 25 games at fortress Madejski, W5 D8 L12. something needs to change before fans desert us in their droves. personally pissed off with having my Saturday night ruined, and the cat has left home.

They are deserting already with only 13,300 today. It was very quiet outside the ground pre kick off. Sad to see. It’s the start of the season and even the more optimistic supporters on here are concerned.

Agree. There seems to be an all pervading feeling of ambivalence coupled with negativity. This really is the least positive I think I've ever felt about a new season :cry:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2018 23:57

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Zip

I know it was in the league cup against Brum reserves but it’s the only game we’ve actually won.

I think we should go 4-4-2 with two of Swift/Meyler/Bacuna in the middle. None of our strikers are suited to one up top for various reasons. Worst case scenario if its getting overrun just make an early change and put an extra midfielder in.

Yep I agree with that. At a push Meite could play the lone striker role but I think he would struggle. I would go with Bacuna/Swift in central midfield but would want two out and out wingers playing. Barrow would be one, Not sure on the other winger.
One big man/ one small man up top. Moore and Ilori at centre back. Yiadom at right back and for now Blackett at left back. Give Walker a chance in goal.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 19 Aug 2018 00:00

Also funny that I thought we looked far better than we did last season.. didn't we? We lacked so much today but seriously we were more organised and looked far better going forward...... it was abysmal in every other areas though...........

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 19 Aug 2018 00:00

I'm going to post my reactions and thoughts to the game here in reaction to everything I've read on the previous 4 pages. I am currently typing into notepad and will paste it exactly how it comes out...

Swift - I thought he was quality, one of the best things about the team. It seemed that every ball played into him seemed to stick to his boot. Some amazing footwork repeatedly got us more and more attempts going forward.

The attendance shocked me today - not the number but the amount of empty seats, seriously, was there about 13000 fans today? Empty seats everywhere.

Club 1871 is amazing, credit to them and I want them to do well. The bad thing abuot it though is that I wonder if they've nicked all the big mouths from Y25/Y26 as the atmosphere today was pathetic. I admit the game wasn't the best, so it's hard to judge. But it was just a thought. Sheffield Wednesday at home will be a better game to judge it on.

Bacuna - I checked it was him about 10x as I was so shocked - but it was abysmal. Surely he is not match fit? If he is then why? Terrible.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Aug 2018 00:05

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Yep, crucial you get the balance right, and in this team, as you say, Swift is a luxury. He’d be better in a better team.

Really hope the players we’ve brought in are the right players and balance?

Get the feeling opposing managers are on to us. ‘They’ve scored 4 goals in 11 games lads, keep it tight early doors, and then one goal should do us’. Wonder if Parky said similar at HT.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Aug 2018 00:10

bobby1413 I'm going to post my reactions and thoughts to the game here in reaction to everything I've read on the previous 4 pages. I am currently typing into notepad and will paste it exactly how it comes out...

Swift - I thought he was quality, one of the best things about the team. It seemed that every ball played into him seemed to stick to his boot. Some amazing footwork repeatedly got us more and more attempts going forward.

The attendance shocked me today - not the number but the amount of empty seats, seriously, was there about 13000 fans today? Empty seats everywhere.

Club 1871 is amazing, credit to them and I want them to do well. The bad thing abuot it though is that I wonder if they've nicked all the big mouths from Y25/Y26 as the atmosphere today was pathetic. I admit the game wasn't the best, so it's hard to judge. But it was just a thought. Sheffield Wednesday at home will be a better game to judge it on.

Bacuna - I checked it was him about 10x as I was so shocked - but it was abysmal. Surely he is not match fit? If he is then why? Terrible.

The East stand lot were very quiet today. So yes we do lose some of the atmosphere from over there. I did smile early on when the Club 1871 fans chanted ‘Come on you Royals’ when we had a throw in. It’s something we used to sing when we had corners but don’t seem to sing it any more.They deserve a +1 for that.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Aug 2018 01:09

We’re already in the shit.

I’d play the most defensive team possible and try and stop losing games. In the absence of Barrow push Blackett into left wing.

The fact that I’m saying that depresses me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2018 06:47

I’m assuming Barrow even in one leg will be brought back in next game

We played well against Brum. I’d go back to basically that team.

I think this thread is a little over dramatic reading through. I don’t think we’re miles off but yesterday was certainly s big step back. We played ok first half but the ridiculous goal just killed our confidence.

Also would say Bolton defending very well 2nd half. Very disciplined, very aware. The boss had done a good job on them

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Aug 2018 07:07

Waking up on a Sunday and thinking of the reality of the situation we are in is not a nice place to be right now.
Defensively we really aren't too bad, no thrashings yet, and steady players in all positions, that's seriously where the positives end.

The midfield options really are shocking. we have a DM with the turning circle of the QE2. what are the other options in that position? Bacuna, can be a decent player but his brief cameo yesterday was awful to say the least, and probably Edwards if he ever gets fit again.

Then we have the attacking midfield, Kelly sideways and backwards passing, the lad has actually regressed the last year or so, from a promising young footballer to someone who will be plying his trade in the lower divisions in years to come. possibly with us.
Swift is ok, and most of our attacking moves came through him yesterday, but damn he`s no Danny Williams is he, somebody that adds power running and aggression in the middle of the park.
What other options do we have there? Clement. and the youngsters who rarely get a chance Barrett and Rimonhota , god I`m even more depressed now.

Out on the wings on paper we have an abundance of talent , but having them all fit at the same time as been our achilles heel for some time now, Barrow seems to be the jewel in our crown but it showed yesterday how poor we are creativity wise with him on the sidelines. love him or loathe him Aluko give you options on the other side. Meite quite simply is NOT winger, play him through the middle or not at all.

Now the striking options, McNulty and Baldock are the same player, less than 6 foot predators who will stick it away inside the 6 yard box, why we need both of them is truly baffling, another one of RG and BTs masterstrokes again? (file under Aluko)
Bodvarsson adds a bit of muscle and height up top but natural goalscorer he is not, can probably rely on him to get 10. but clearly that is not enough if the rest of the team are not chipping in.
Novakovich scored on his debut yesterday to go with the shedload he got last year, just what is the clubs thinking on this? baffling again.

So in summary where we go from here is anyones guess, the owners must be thinking the club is being run by clueless chimps upstairs.
We will have much more of a clue where we stand this time next week, but I fear we will be playing catch up at a very early stage of the season.
I need a lie down.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 19 Aug 2018 14:07, edited 3 times in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2018 07:43

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Happy with Meyler, Swift, Baldock, x if only to prove me right. :wink:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Aug 2018 07:49

As you say though you can think of players you want to drop but not enough to replace them with. Again we find ourselves with a bloated, mediocre squad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2018 07:55

I think it's important not to get carried away. Yesterday was bad, but by all accounts it's our first poor performance and we've certainly played worse last season.

Hopefully Meyler just had a bad day as he's supposed to have been ok before. We really need to sort out our injuries though so we can play the same XI 3 games in a row. Constant changes to the line up don't help.

We looked like individuals yesterday. Players breaking shape to rush out and make a challenge alone. Lazy passes when they couldn't create anything rather than crisp accurate ones to help someone else do it.

And what the oxf*rd is wrong with our shooting. Everything ballooning miles high and wide.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 19 Aug 2018 08:13

Ascotexgunner Interesting that BBCRB on the way home were reporting Gourley and Clement were on the pitch in deep conversation and Gourleys mobile rang and it was passed to Clement. A loan signing maybe?

A bo**ocking from the owners more likely...Gourlay passes Clement the hot potato....alternatively could have been potential loan signing expressing second thoughts about joining given the situ...

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 19 Aug 2018 08:17

Despite renewing my season ticket decided to give yesterday a miss and get stuff done in the garden. Perhaps this was partially influenced by our uncanny knack of losing to teams we supposedly have a better chance of beating. My sense of doom was not helped pre-match when I heard Ilori was not playing, clearly our best player so far this season.

Still having cancelled iFollow this season I had a productive and stress free afternoon until I tuned in for the aftermath and ended up as depressed as I did after the Derby game - btw Friday night games are the pits as they have the potential to spoil your whole weekend and not just part of it !

I think if it were not for the uncertainty over his future Moore would have taken over the captaincy during the summer - he has to now surely?

Does anyone else think Blackett would make a decent CM - for me he is definitely one of our better players and we are just not getting the best out him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2018 08:30

Need him at left back currently, but was certainly one of our only players to come out with any credit yesterday

Sadly he put in a couple of poor crosses from good positions, which id normally expect better from him. Otherwise played well

Delboy

by Delboy » 19 Aug 2018 08:34

Need Howe and Hammond back asap club lost its way badly

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 19 Aug 2018 08:35

An earlier poster mentioned that we are a club in decline.I counted 13 empty boxes yesterday.
Not surprising when they want £2k more this season!
The advertising revenue must be down judging by the hoardings around the ground.No adverts in the bogs.
Where has the big screen gone outside the East stand? Beer at a fiver a pint and a shitty burger for £6!
Its no wonder gates are down.All this reflects what is going on on the pitch.

219 posts