MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (a) sponsored by 3 league wins in 2018

280 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (a) sponsored by 3 league wins in 2018

by Hound » 23 Aug 2018 09:40

They were both clear penalties. The second the chap was diving, but McShane still went through him, and if he'd stood still, McShane would have wiped him out.

I'm sure he is feeling terrible, but thats pro football. He has cost the team 3 points in the last 2 games, and rather than having an adequate start to the season, we've had a poor one, due to his incompetence.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 23 Aug 2018 09:53

Part of me feels sorry for Clement, because first half it looked like his team was coming together putting in a solid away performance and grafting for the points, thought JDB was excellent ran out of steam a bit at the end but understandable.

Meite ineffective but good header for the goal, thought Aluko was excellent and although Bacuna's range of passing was the standard of a child he battled hard and won the ball back well. He is so obviously a confidence player. Also set piece deliveries aside I thought Kelly was much improved on the Bolton game. My one annoyance with him is he seems to have a real fear when he doesn't have time on the ball, I can't see him ever putting a tackle in or winning the ball like he used to in his first season.

Baldocks touch was one of someone who isn't match ready, probs would start Meite and Bod upfront with Barrow Aluko/Sims on the wings for now.

On to the defence, Yiadom not bad, still would rather have Gunter but they will have a good competition for that position, I thought Blackett was excellent at LB and he has been one of the most improved players this season, great cross for JDB's second goal. Moore was absolutely brilliant again and without him there McShane would have looked even more clueless than he already was. The less said about McShane the better I think I made my feelings clear about him in the BFTG Bolton thread.

Garry Baldy

by Garry Baldy » 23 Aug 2018 09:58

Thought McShane played ok apart from the penalties. He made a crucial last ditch tackle in the first half when a goal seemed probable and contributed well over the 90 mins. Given that, it's hard to fathom what possessed him to make such a rash challenge for the first pen. The second pen was unclear to me and many others. Feel sorry for the guy and suspect he'll lose his place on Sat.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Aug 2018 09:58

Sutekh
leon 2 up at half time and you draw because your captain - gives away 2 stupid penalties?

Not fcuking good enough.

It’s one self inflicted disaster after another. I’ve no confidence in the manager or this shambles of a team.

One of those penalties was highly doubtful and very probably the referee got it wrong. However Paul McShane gave the referee a decision to make so one bad decision looks to have been compounded by another.

Let's not forget the McShane probably feels like **** this morning and while he's made a couple of costly mistakes he hardly deliberately set out to do that. It's honest errors he's made in effort to prevent goals. Just appears to be that Reading are getting more than their fair share of these cock ups at the moment.

You can equally point fingers at other contributions made by members of the team, poor decisions at dead ball situations, poor passing, not enough movement etc.

And while we're all singing the praises of Ilori at the moment let's not forget he has had his less than convincing moments over the last year or two as well.

At the end of the day we have a point more than we set out with yesterday so at least that's something. Luck has to change at some point if you keep asking the right questions and at least Reading seem capable of doing that this time round.

I actually hope McShane plays against Villa and turns in a real MoM performance for the sake of him if not the team.

What the fcuk you are you on about? I agree with an awful lot of what you say but this is just fantasy bullshit.

I honestly don’t care if he meant to do it or not, he did it and honestly there was absolutely NO reason to give away those penalties. Two of the most stupid challenges I’ve ever seen. Just completely nonsensical.

You can’t “equally point fingers at others” because despite the fact that most players were fairly shit, none of them directly cost us a goal. The equivalent would be perhaps if we missed two penalties. The only other person that deserves an almost equal share of the blame is Clement, and the biggest part of that is picking McShane in the first place.

Yes Ilori has had a less than convincing time here but he was nothing but solid this season and indeed arguably our best performer along with Yiadom before he was ridiculously dropped. You don’t pick a team based on past performances and let’s face it McShane isn’t or hasn’t exactly been Mr. Dependable. He gets away with an awful lot because he’s an “old fashioned, all effort, no nonsense defender” and limited football fans sometimes think that’s enough.

I sincerely hope McShane isn’t picked for Villa. This isn’t some romantic poetic fairy tale. Why would a player who has been known throughout his career as a comic liability and consequently an ironic cult hero, suddenly put in a MOTM performance, become a great defender and solve our woes. Don’t be so naive.

He’s mediocre, he’s always been mediocre and he’s only ever going to get worse.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Aug 2018 10:03

Sutekh
leon 2 up at half time and you draw because your captain - gives away 2 stupid penalties?

Not fcuking good enough.

It’s one self inflicted disaster after another. I’ve no confidence in the manager or this shambles of a team.

One of those penalties was highly doubtful and very probably the referee got it wrong. However Paul McShane gave the referee a decision to make so one bad decision looks to have been compounded by another.

Let's not forget the McShane probably feels like **** this morning and while he's made a couple of costly mistakes he hardly deliberately set out to do that. It's honest errors he's made in effort to prevent goals. Just appears to be that Reading are getting more than their fair share of these cock ups at the moment.

You can equally point fingers at other contributions made by members of the team, poor decisions at dead ball situations, poor passing, not enough movement etc.

And while we're all singing the praises of Ilori at the moment let's not forget he has had his less than convincing moments over the last year or two as well.

At the end of the day we have a point more than we set out with yesterday so at least that's something. Luck has to change at some point if you keep asking the right questions and at least Reading seem capable of doing that this time round.

I actually hope McShane plays against Villa and turns in a real MoM performance for the sake of him if not the team.

Normally in agreement with you but you have it so, so wrong here.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Aug 2018 10:19

Garry Baldy Thought McShane played ok apart from the penalties. He made a crucial last ditch tackle in the first half when a goal seemed probable and contributed well over the 90 mins. Given that, it's hard to fathom what possessed him to make such a rash challenge for the first pen. The second pen was unclear to me and many others. Feel sorry for the guy and suspect he'll lose his place on Sat.

He made some good blocks in the first half and did ok.

From conceding the first pen onwards he completely lost the plot. Kept getting beaten on headers, and the only times Blackburn looked dangerous was when they were whacking long balls towards him, and getting flick ons. It was a disastrous performance.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 23 Aug 2018 10:46

Sorry Macca but your time is up as a regular starter. Gone are the days of the solid performance where you bullied your opponents. It probably started half way through last season before his injury. 5 yard passes on the edge of your box going to opposition strikers and then really shooting yourself in the foot with your behavior after a poor performance away at Stevenage.

A great servant to the club but clearly not what he once was as a solid Championship player. Even before the horror show last night I stand by the statement that we should have got rid in the summer and started afresh with a new leader in the dressing room.

A captain is someone who inspires the players and sets the benchmark, not someone who gets sent off in big games, refuses to clap our away fans after a shocking performance against lower league opposition in the cup.

Obviously he didn't mean to make those mistakes and no one sees the day to day ongoings amongst the team. If we are basing it purely on the pitch then Liam Moore is the natural benchmark and man to get the best out of these players. Unfortunately Macca is nearing the category of a has been player.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 23 Aug 2018 11:31

Let's not forget the McShane probably feels like **** this morning

Shall we all chip in and send him a card?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Aug 2018 12:24

Theroyalbox Part of me feels sorry for Clement, because first half it looked like his team was coming together putting in a solid away performance and grafting for the points, thought JDB was excellent ran out of steam a bit at the end but understandable.

Meite ineffective but good header for the goal, thought Aluko was excellent and although Bacuna's range of passing was the standard of a child he battled hard and won the ball back well. He is so obviously a confidence player. Also set piece deliveries aside I thought Kelly was much improved on the Bolton game. My one annoyance with him is he seems to have a real fear when he doesn't have time on the ball, I can't see him ever putting a tackle in or winning the ball like he used to in his first season.

Baldocks touch was one of someone who isn't match ready, probs would start Meite and Bod upfront with Barrow Aluko/Sims on the wings for now.

On to the defence, Yiadom not bad, still would rather have Gunterbut they will have a good competition for that position, I thought Blackett was excellent at LB and he has been one of the most improved players this season, great cross for JDB's second goal. Moore was absolutely brilliant again and without him there McShane would have looked even more clueless than he already was. The less said about McShane the better I think I made my feelings clear about him in the BFTG Bolton thread.

Oh dear, you were doing so well up until that point.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 23 Aug 2018 12:33

sandman
Theroyalbox
I thought Blackett was excellent at LB and he has been one of the most improved players this season, great cross for JDB's second goal. .

I agree with this completely, I'm pleased to see Blackett making that position his own at the moment. Obviously he has made more mistakes than others in the last year or so but the poor lad's confidence was absolutely shot to pieces thanks to Stam and the booing that went on in I think it was the Millwall game last year. No individual deserves that level of treatment from their own fans.

He may not be a natural left back but one thing he does have when he gets it right is a brilliant left footed delivery into the box. I witnessed the cross for Yann's goal at Barnsley too last year and it was a cross Bale would have been proud of.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 23 Aug 2018 12:38

A very frustrating result which was looking like a comfortable 2-0 win until the silly mistakes by McShane. Despite Blackburn's pressure in the second half which you would expect from them being the home team, we actually had been dealing with it pretty well.

Onto the positives it was good to finally see us take our chances in the game and the 2nd goal was a wonderful move. I also felt Aluko had a good game and with him coming inside on the right it allowed Yiadom to bomb forward a lot more.

I am encouraged by the football we are playing at the moment, the team just need to keep working hard and be confident in what they are doing and the results will come. We have competed in every match so far but just need that win to boost there confidence. Just look at Stoke that is a team of players far to good for the Championship managed by a manager who has a half decent track record in the league but lacking in confidence they are 1 point better than us.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Aug 2018 12:39

I generally agree about McShane losing 2 points for us, the first pen he was just an idiot. The second looked dodgy to me, on the replay it looked like he went to ground and the attacker feigned to trip over him by not standing on him and ended up falling without contact. McShane gave him the chance to do that but I very much doubt we'd get one as soft as that.

Otherwise we played well in the first half, apart from two very early chance Blackburn were very poor. I thought Aluko and Bod played well. What has happened to Kelly's set pieces, his corners and free kicks are terrible. Last season he was a threat from a set piece, now they hit the first man or are overhit.

I wonder what Clement says at half time because our second half performances are awful

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 23 Aug 2018 12:57

sandman
Theroyalbox Part of me feels sorry for Clement, because first half it looked like his team was coming together putting in a solid away performance and grafting for the points, thought JDB was excellent ran out of steam a bit at the end but understandable.

On to the defence, Yiadom not bad, still would rather have Gunterbut they will have a good competition for that position, I thought Blackett was excellent at LB and he has been one of the most improved players this season, great cross for JDB's second goal. Moore was absolutely brilliant again and without him there McShane would have looked even more clueless than he already was. The less said about McShane the better I think I made my feelings clear about him in the BFTG Bolton thread.

Oh dear, you were doing so well up until that point.

for my sins I'm a big part of the Gunter fan club, but I knew someone would pick up on it.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 23 Aug 2018 13:06

bracksroyal10
sandman
Theroyalbox
I thought Blackett was excellent at LB and he has been one of the most improved players this season, great cross for JDB's second goal. .

I agree with this completely, I'm pleased to see Blackett making that position his own at the moment. Obviously he has made more mistakes than others in the last year or so but the poor lad's confidence was absolutely shot to pieces thanks to Stam and the booing that went on in I think it was the Millwall game last year. No individual deserves that level of treatment from their own fans.

He may not be a natural left back but one thing he does have when he gets it right is a brilliant left footed delivery into the box. I witnessed the cross for Yann's goal at Barnsley too last year and it was a cross Bale would have been proud of.

Yep, remember the cross and the boo's myself which must make it all the more sweet for Tyler. People are quick to refer to our academy players like Liam Kelly as young and ready to improve but will boo Tyler Blackett who is only a few months older. Good on the bloke.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Aug 2018 13:21

I’ve never really had that much of an issue with Blackett personally

He is a bit limited and prone to a cock up, but is good in the air and has a great cross on him

Thought he was decent enough last night. Classic 6/10 performance on the whole, but the peach of a cross is worthy of a point on top

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 23 Aug 2018 13:48

I would say the challenges McShane made for the pens are so rash and stupid to make. Then add him not challenging for the goal against Bolton...I am hoping Clement grows a pair and decides to 'rest' him for a few games.
If Ilori is fit or I'd take Blackett at CB along side Moore if not (isn't Cb is prefered position)

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 23 Aug 2018 15:03

Coppells Lost Coat I would say the challenges McShane made for the pens are so rash and stupid to make. Then add him not challenging for the goal against Bolton...I am hoping Clement grows a pair and decides to 'rest' him for a few games.
If Ilori is fit or I'd take Blackett at CB along side Moore if not (isn't Cb is prefered position)

I agree

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Aug 2018 15:37

Coppells Lost Coat I would say the challenges McShane made for the pens are so rash and stupid to make. Then add him not challenging for the goal against Bolton...I am hoping Clement grows a pair and decides to 'rest' him for a few games.

I honestly think this was the plan, when Clement was talking about a mistake in selection after Bolton, he meant McShane.

But then Ilori got injured.

If Gunter had been fit, I think he would have got LB, and Blackett would have gone into CB. But with both Ilori and Gunter out, I think he had limited options. O Shea can do 30 minutes (and I wonder how the game would have worked out if he'd subbed off McShane after the first peno cockup), but you can't start with him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2018 18:05

Absolutely appalled by that first challenge. You don't do that in the centre circle let alone your own box.

And whilst the second one was far less bad and maybe the ref could have played advantage as they still got a (n unfortunately shit) shot away, you don't go to ground in your box at 2-1 having already given a penalty away for doing the exact same shit. It is unforgiveable.

I don't get criticism of anyone else. Some may not have had good games, but they did well enough that but for McShane's insanity we get our first win of the season.

I thought people were overly harsh of McShane last season but I'd play Liam Kelly at centeback against Villa over fielding McShane again any time soon. He's been a catastrophe this season, costing us three time more points than we've gained across four games. Although he was far from the only one at fault for Bolton's goal.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 23 Aug 2018 19:27

Sutekh

Not fcuking good enough.

Really good points here, over the course of last season Illori was terrible and was one of the reasons we were in such a mess at the back. Reading fans sometimes take 'the grass is always greener' to the extreme like demanding popa played this season :lol:
If Samuels had scored I bet you would of had many on here asking why the club sold such a talented individual too :roll:

280 posts