Ex Players

3097 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ex Players

by Winston Biscuit » 10 Mar 2019 14:31

This week's Irishman Abroad podcast episode is an interview with Kevin Doyle

A good interview. A fair bit on his time with us. Said Villa offered us £12M for him in the January of our relegation season but the club kept is quiet and even he didn't know until later that season. Also said he was the club's highest paid player during our relegation season.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 10 Mar 2019 15:00

Ranty McRantface
The Enfield Royal71
Old Man Andrews
Yep +2

I'd have a guess that Dundee would struggle to survive in League 2 let alone the Championship.

+3.
And to think CeLOLtic thought they could play in our Premier league a few years ago. They would be a mid table championship side.

Didn't celtic or rangers lose a few years ago in the europa league 1st qualifying round to a team from san Marino or some utterly balls nation?

Edit: it was a team from Luxembourg who were called progres niederhorn.

The Scottish league is laughable. Players getting released from League 2 clubs like Carlisle and joining the Scots Prem. Come on.

Even Celtic are a joke now. Upper Championship at best.

McNulty was scoring goals for fun in League 2 and it's no surprise that he's doing it again against League 2 and some 1 standard teams.

McNulty wasn't given the chance to prove himself.When he did come on he looked lively.I would much rather have got rid of Baldock

I hope McNulty comes back and is given a chance

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 10 Mar 2019 15:03

Josh Sims named MOTM by the BBC against Tottenham yesterday, looked pretty good on Match of the Day. Never really saw anything special earlier this season, maybe he's elevated by the players around him at Soton.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Mar 2019 16:14

Winston Biscuit This week's Irishman Abroad podcast episode is an interview with Kevin Doyle

And he's still as humble and gracious as ever. Top man.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Mar 2019 09:17

CavershamRoyal Josh Sims named MOTM by the BBC against Tottenham yesterday, looked pretty good on Match of the Day. Never really saw anything special earlier this season, maybe he's elevated by the players around him at Soton.

He was fast, fit and agressive. Ideal as a championship winger. When he came on as a sub in a few games, he scared defenders - thinking of at least one penalty directly won.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Mar 2019 09:19

super darren caskey
Ranty McRantface
The Enfield Royal71
+3.
And to think CeLOLtic thought they could play in our Premier league a few years ago. They would be a mid table championship side.

Didn't celtic or rangers lose a few years ago in the europa league 1st qualifying round to a team from san Marino or some utterly balls nation?

Edit: it was a team from Luxembourg who were called progres niederhorn.

The Scottish league is laughable. Players getting released from League 2 clubs like Carlisle and joining the Scots Prem. Come on.

Even Celtic are a joke now. Upper Championship at best.

McNulty was scoring goals for fun in League 2 and it's no surprise that he's doing it again against League 2 and some 1 standard teams.

McNulty wasn't given the chance to prove himself.When he did come on he looked lively.I would much rather have got rid of Baldock

I hope McNulty comes back and is given a chance

Yeah, got bored and looked at his scoring rate.

His big negatives were physical, which can really hinder you in the Championship. He had some pace, but enough brains and movement to succeed, just the physicality of some damp spinach. Also, he wasn't quite rapid enough to rely on that alone.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 12 Mar 2019 15:06

see McNulty has been called up into the Scotland squad today

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Mar 2019 15:12

CavershamRoyal Josh Sims named MOTM by the BBC against Tottenham yesterday, looked pretty good on Match of the Day. Never really saw anything special earlier this season, maybe he's elevated by the players around him at Soton.

He was a wasted loan. Clement didn't know how to use him, only started 3 games under him and averaged 20 mins when brought on as a sub 11 times. Completely get why we sent him back given he loans we have since made but think if he had played more he could have been a great fit under Gomes.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Mar 2019 02:17

Stranded

He was a wasted loan. Clement didn't know how to use him, only started 3 games under him and averaged 20 mins when brought on as a sub 11 times. Completely get why we sent him back given he loans we have since made but think if he had played more he could have been a great fit under Gomes.

Watching him against Sheffield, Rotherham and Boro was enough for me, any player physically incapable of controlling a ball would not be a great fit, absolute waste of space

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 Mar 2019 10:27

3points see McNulty has been called up into the Scotland squad today

Anyone else find it an absolute joke that he's up in Scotland banging in goals for fun and now has been called up to the national team for his performances, and we're playing a winger in his position with a youth product who is yet to deliver our only other option? Insanity.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Mar 2019 10:45

Jagermesiter1871

Anyone else find it an absolute joke that he's up in Scotland banging in goals for fun and now has been called up to the national team for his performances, and we're playing a winger in his position with a youth product who is yet to deliver our only other option? Insanity.

I don't, no. He has numerous chances and fluffed them. Clearly not cut out for this level and that is why he went to Scotland to drop down to a level that better suits him.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Mar 2019 10:46

Jagermesiter1871

He didn't make the impact here and has gone to league which is below our current level.

If Nelson wasn't injured, he wouldn't be considered.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 Mar 2019 10:52

Jagermesiter1871

We know he can bang them in at L2. We know he can bang them in Scotland. What we have seen very little evidence of is him banging them in at Championship level.

I like McNulty, but I think trying to deal with the jump in quality at the same time as a team in turmoil was too much for him. I'd put the likes of Hibernian at L1 level myself.

If he'd still been here with the injury to Oliveira (and Bod and Baldock), then he'd be playing. But still don't think he'd be getting many goals.

Run of goals at the Hibees, get back his confidence, proper pre-season with us, and then there's next season.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 Mar 2019 12:02

John Smith
Jagermesiter1871

I don't, no. He has numerous chances and fluffed them. Clearly not cut out for this level and that is why he went to Scotland to drop down to a level that better suits him.

If we're ruling players out based on fluffed chances then I don't think any of our players make the cut. Did he fluff more chances than Meite has say? He's also far more proven than Meite.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 Mar 2019 12:04

Hendo
Jagermesiter1871

He didn't make the impact here and has gone to league which is below our current level.

Was he given a fair craic and run of games to settle in?

That's my point exactly - Nelson is injured and we have no one other than a kid and an unproven winger to replace him. I'd rather a proven striker, at any level than either of those 2.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 Mar 2019 12:06

muirinho
Jagermesiter1871

We know he can bang them in at L2. We know he can bang them in Scotland. What we have seen very little evidence of is him banging them in at Championship level.

I like McNulty, but I think trying to deal with the jump in quality at the same time as a team in turmoil was too much for him. I'd put the likes of Hibernian at L1 level myself.

If he'd still been here with the injury to Oliveira (and Bod and Baldock), then he'd be playing. But still don't think he'd be getting many goals.

Run of goals at the Hibees, get back his confidence, proper pre-season with us, and then there's next season.

The issue is we need him now. Put him one and one with a keeper I'd fancy him more than I would Meite or Loader. Would you not?

With out current options I can see him banging them in for us in league 1 next year indeed.
Last edited by Jagermesiter1871 on 15 Mar 2019 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Mar 2019 12:06

Jagermesiter1871
Hendo
Jagermesiter1871

That's my point exactly - Nelson is injured and we have no one other than a kid and an unproven winger to replace him. I'd rather a proven striker, at any level than either of those 2.

Did you foresee Nelson getting injured then? Perhaps you should've notified the club!

He couldn't get in the team ahead of the unproven winger earlier in the season, what makes you think he would be able to now?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Mar 2019 12:22

Jagermesiter1871
John Smith
Jagermesiter1871

If we're ruling players out based on fluffed chances then I don't think any of our players make the cut. Did he fluff more chances than Meite has say? He's also far more proven than Meite.

He's shit mate. End of.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 Mar 2019 12:54

Hendo
Jagermesiter1871
Hendo

Did you foresee Nelson getting injured then? Perhaps you should've notified the club!

He couldn't get in the team ahead of the unproven winger earlier in the season, what makes you think he would be able to now?

I'm mean tbh yes. He's fairly injury prown and our fitness team appear to be abysmal. It was fairly likely. Either way next to no cover was always going to be an issue.

New manager? New desperation for a striker that might see us persevere with him? Next to no other options? He's in form again.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Mar 2019 13:51

McNulty is someone that thrives off service, in our team the service is poor, and thus most goals are a result of a player having to do it themselves

I’m not convinced mcnulty is a championship level player but put him in a team that creates chances and you never know. Calling him terrible is pretty harsh considering he’s barely played for us

3097 posts