143 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (a) sponsored by hoping it's 1959/1960 all over again

by Sutekh » 23 Aug 2018 14:51

When : Saturday, 25th August 2018, 3pm
Where : Villa Park, Trinity Road Birmingham B6 6HE
Capacity : 42,785
Away Stand : Doug Ellis Stand, towards the North end of the stadium.
What might I see in the area : Birmingham

Off to the Villa next for our rag bag of misfiring misfits as they go in search of another point or three. It may well be highly unlikely that Saturday will see any return for the team’s efforts but if they can persist with the general level of performances that they’ve shown in all but one game so far this season then at least there’s some hope.

Barrow seems to be fit again and we’re told Ilori’s thigh problem was just a minor knock so I’d expect him to be in contention for a place. In addition, there could be a chance of Chris Gunter being fit enough to make the bench as well which would leave one of the shortest injury lists ever seen at Reading in the last 2 years (by my reckoning just Obita, Edwards, Harriott and McCleary).

Villa are annoying me. They’re meant to be facing a tough financial situation but there doesn’t seem to be too much affecting the squad they have and Yannick Bolaise is the latest name expected to be joining them on loan before Saturday.

As with Blackburn, Villa are also unbeaten and still as dangerous as ever. True that it was a late equaliser they needed v Brentford on Wednesday but reports of the game seem to indicate that Villa were unlucky to be in that situation so a visit from the mighty Reading isn’t really going to induce to much panic in their ranks.

As it’s a Saturday, the good news is that Reading are away so that’s one less curse to worry about but it could be that Reading are trying to match the 1959/1960 season which saw Reading lose 3, draw 1 then lose another 3 before finally recording a league win. If Reading were to match that season’s results though then it would actually be a reasonably successful season as they finally finished in 11th place.

Referee

England’s Darren England takes control of only his second ever Reading game and he’s yet to award a goal to anyone though I suspect it won’t take too long to change that on Saturday.

Previously

13 Jan 2018 > Hull City 0-0 Reading

Historically

It took 5 totally pointless failures to record any form of pointage at Villa Park a couple of season ago, before that win the only thing the club had earned from a visit was a relegation in 1971. Last season normal service was resumed so it’s now 6 defeats and 1 win in the 7 league trips up there.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (a) sponsored by hoping it's 1959/1960 all over again

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Aug 2018 14:55

Getting beat aren't we? Might as well just accept that now and move on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (a) sponsored by hoping it's 1959/1960 all over again

by Hound » 23 Aug 2018 15:40

Old Man Andrews Getting beat aren't we? Might as well just accept that now and move on.

oh yeah of course.

A respectable performance, not too much damage to the GD and no injuries to our better players would be a reasonable outcome. Id really like to see a front 4 of Barrow Bod Baldock/McNulty Sims given a go, with Swift in behind, but might be the wrong game to try it.

Guessing we'll go with:

Mannone
Yiadom Ilori/O Shea Moore Blackett
Barrow Meyler Bacuna Aluko
Bod Baldock

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Aug 2018 15:45

The fixture list really hasn't been kind

Derby home, who are usually top 6
Forest away, who have spent a load
Bolton home, who are joint top of the league, let's not forget
Blackburn away, promoted side on a high, unbeaten

And now Villa away

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 23 Aug 2018 15:47

McShane and Mannone have cost us 2 wins and 6 points as far as I'm concerned , they can keep the bench warm.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 23 Aug 2018 16:18

Villa are annoying me. They’re meant to be facing a tough financial situation

New owners and now no longer in as bad a situation

A respectable performance, not too much damage to the GD and no injuries to our better players would be a reasonable outcome.

This please

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Aug 2018 16:56

genome The fixture list really hasn't been kind

And now Villa away

When you’re shit every team looks hard.

When you’re good every game looks winnable.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 23 Aug 2018 17:42

The somber black away kit was well chosen, judging by expectations. Let’s hope the wake afterwards is a good one (any pubs recommended in Aston?), and that some muppet doesn’t spoil a long weekend.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2018 18:12

Hound
Old Man Andrews Getting beat aren't we? Might as well just accept that now and move on.

oh yeah of course.

A respectable performance, not too much damage to the GD and no injuries to our better players would be a reasonable outcome. Id really like to see a front 4 of Barrow Bod Baldock/McNulty Sims given a go, with Swift in behind, but might be the wrong game to try it.

Guessing we'll go with:

Mannone
Yiadom Ilori/O Shea Moore Blackett
Barrow Meyler Bacuna Aluko
Bod Baldock

You want a one man midfield? LOL. :wink:

This is a game that form and history say we're so certain to lose, so I think we're guaranteed at least a point and I'll predict 1-2, Barrow and Kelly

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 23 Aug 2018 19:30

Reckon we will sneak another point here with backs against the wall kinda stuff, 1-1 and we move on

The Cube

by The Cube » 23 Aug 2018 20:17

Sutekh It took 5 totally pointless failures to record any form of pointage at Villa Park a couple of season ago, before that win the only thing the club had earned from a visit was a relegation in 1971. Last season normal service was resumed so it’s now 6 defeats and 1 win in the 7 league trips up there.

Maybe no points, but Reading did earn a 2-1 win from a visit to Villa Park in 1927. Not against Aston Villa, but a neutral ground FA Cup second replay against some Mickey Mouse outfit.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Aug 2018 23:53

CountryRoyal
And now Villa away

When you’re shit every team looks hard.
When you’re good every game looks winnable.

Yep, this.
If Derby finish Top 6, then our opening game at home vs young rookie mgr was fine
Forest spent, so playing them away 2nd game when they had 9 new players was fine
Bolton, many in here have them going down, so fine for 3rd game at home
Blackburn, only just promoted, and missing star players, fine by me
Villa were in turmoil, haven’t hit stride yet, may as well play em there now vs. later
Have we played against a really good side yet?
Current table shows we’ve avoided 7 of the top 8 (thus, the ‘in form’ teams) so far
Only one we’ve played is Bolton, at home, who everyone said would be crap anyway

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Aug 2018 07:13

Don’t think it was an especially tough start and all the teams have looked pretty poor to me

1 point is a pretty terrible outcome from them really

Still I suspect bar 2 or 3 teams most other teams we play will be of a similar standard, so not exactly anything to be scared of

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2018 07:33

You've only got to consider that but for individual mistakes we could comfortably be sitting unbeaten on six to eight points. None of the teams we've played have battered us. None have even looked very good.

It simply wasn't a difficult start. We've just fluffed it and bought ourselves another tough season playing catch up.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Aug 2018 08:34

I’ll give you guys a tough start in a minute!

elrey

by elrey » 24 Aug 2018 09:23

And now Villa away

Yes, we should be complaining to the league that we keep having to play teams above us in the league. At this rate we'll only get to play a team worse than us twice this season. It's really not fair. We should complain to the FA.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Aug 2018 09:25

That wasn't my point but thank you for your contribution

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Aug 2018 10:55

genome I’ll give you guys a tough start in a minute!

Ooh you're hard.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Aug 2018 10:57

Old Man Andrews

Ooh you're hard.

Running joke with Winston on here

Where's he gone btw?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Aug 2018 11:04

genome
Old Man Andrews

Ooh you're hard.

Running joke with Winston on here

Where's he gone btw?

Think I saw him in AE complaining about being bored this morning.

143 posts