BFTG - Weds H

252 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Weds H

by Hound » 03 Sep 2018 10:57

Snowflake Royal I've noticed a few people complain about Aluko bottling a 50-50 challenge in the build up to their first goal. Not noticed anyone mention the fact he then made literally no effort to pick up his man and get goalside until he'd received the ball, and then narrowly avoided giving away a penalty by pulling out of a stupid lunge.

Half tempted to do a Woodcote and wait outside for the teams to be announced, so I can just go home if he ever plays again rather than have to watch that utterly useless waste of oxygen.

He wasn’t much better on the second goal either. Watched Ilori’s header go to a Wed player, make no effort to tackle, and watch the player drive forward in his own time and make the pass

He is an awful player. Will celebrate the day he leaves the club. As said elsewhere, epitomises everything wrong about the current side

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Sep 2018 11:03

Hound
Snowflake Royal I've noticed a few people complain about Aluko bottling a 50-50 challenge in the build up to their first goal. Not noticed anyone mention the fact he then made literally no effort to pick up his man and get goalside until he'd received the ball, and then narrowly avoided giving away a penalty by pulling out of a stupid lunge.

Half tempted to do a Woodcote and wait outside for the teams to be announced, so I can just go home if he ever plays again rather than have to watch that utterly useless waste of oxygen.

He wasn’t much better on the second goal either. Watched Ilori’s header go to a Wed player, make no effort to tackle, and watch the player drive forward in his own time and make the pass

He is an awful player. Will celebrate the day he leaves the club. As said elsewhere, epitomises everything wrong about the current side

I have a feeling he must have some sort of clause in his contract about the amount of game time he gets. Doesn't add up that he consistently is getting picked despite never giving us anything of value on the pitch.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Sep 2018 11:03

Hound

Hopefully Sims will take his spot shortly. Hopefully, we can see Popa back involved shortly - can't be any worse than we see at the moment.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Sep 2018 11:04

Snowflake Royal
Maneki Neko
Frankly, from the day Leigertwood was booed and Brian was ultimately sacked some fans have now got what they deserve. How's their "better football so we can survive when we get to promoted back to the Premier League" working out

throw in when madejski was boo'd on the pitch and chanted where has "all the money" gone which was the last straw and caused him to pull the plug on his support.

these were the days the club lost its soul

And the way Adkins was treated for being shafted harder by Anton than any manager in our history and not being McDermott. Ever since McDermott half of the fanbase has embraced a new manager because they're not the old, and the other half have rejected him because he's not the old manager.

We were all going well until this point.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Sep 2018 11:05

Snowflake Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Old Man Andrews
If we needed a fantastic athlete I'm sure Daley Thompson would have got a run out by now. Gunter is negative and slows our play down massively. Yiadom and Blackett were about our only positives in this shower of shite season and poor Tyler Blackett who is in the best form he has been for us is rewarded by being dropped. Gunter has had his time here and needs to go.

I was just trying to find as many positives as I could rather than add to the mass of negativity.

Having said that my opinion is Blackett is still a liability and don't understand the love he gets. Yes a few games of not-totally-shit performance in a team that is generally awful doesn't inspire me with confidence. Gunter on the other hand has been solid, fit and will give us stability. His negativity is down to Stam. He hasn't always been like that. It's Clements' job to get him to play more positively.
Gunter has always been over cautious and negative. Stam just gave it official sanction.

Blackett may have his flaws, but Gunter is absolutely one of the reasons the TEAM plays badly.

Ok. I'm on the fence with Gunter. Its just that we've been utterly shit with or without him so whilst he may have his flaws he clearly isn't the main problem (and I know you're not suggesting that).

However I'm not on the fence with Blackett. Seen enough of him to not have any confidence in him in our defensive line, even if he has improved a little over time and has his best form for us and is less shit than he was.

Gunter has been part of a successful Wales team, has been rated by every manager, and I just can't see him being that bad. Infinitely better than Blackett in my opinion and worth starting in his place. I think it was perfectly reasonable for PC to bring him in and many including me would've been shocked had he chosen not to. Would've made more sense to play him on the left though and let Yiadom keep his spot.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2018 11:06

Hound

Freeze the RFC highlights at 25 seconds and just look at our shape for their second goal. Bacuna and Meyler are doing nothing to screen the defence, with Bacuna having just rushed 20 yards towards the ball where there were two other Reading players pressing instead of dropping in to help the defence.

Gunter is nowhere, Aluko is outside the attacker and so Ilori is having to cover for them, leaving Moore and Yiadom trapped in no man's land. They need to hold a line and cover the cut inside and shot to far post, but in doing so they are at least 5 yards from the players then need to be marking who are all queuing up outside the box where midfield should be. If they push out to those players there's a big gap in behind them and they're easily beaten by good movement.

The entire goal is a calamity of midfield ineptitude from Aluko, Meyler and Bacuna.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Sep 2018 11:12

Stranded
Hound

Hopefully Sims will take his spot shortly. Hopefully, we can see Popa back involved shortly - can't be any worse than we see at the moment.

I'd rather Meite ahead of Pops. He can win a header and would offer more defensive solidity than anyone else. Sims should be building up to make that starting spot his own though.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Sep 2018 11:17

Superb post and I'm glad someone else spotted this. Dellor was complaining about the first bottled challenge and Gooding said "yeah but then others messed it up in the box so you can't just blame him".

Then I saw the replay and had to watch it 5 times in disbelief as he continued to be shit and just let the left winger run whilst he walked around enjoying the weather. Then the half lunge. What's wrong with him?

I get that he's not a defender but that's just basic football.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 03 Sep 2018 11:17

Snowflake Royal For those of you criticising the signings of players like McNulty and Baldock, or of the love for Meite.

I just want you to have a think about what's wrong with our players. They're gutless, negative, lethargic and apathetic.

None of those things describe our two new strikers or Meite.

Our biggest problem is player attitude. So oxf*rd the likes of Gunter, Meyler, Bacuna, Aluko. Play the ones that run. That try. That move. That have an ounce of positivity.

I'll give you the "player attitude" bit - the gutless, here for the paycheck 'stars' can just do one.

However, while Meite's passion is commendable .... he's just not a very good footballer. You can't polish a turd... :roll:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Sep 2018 11:20

Snowflake Royal
I was just trying to find as many positives as I could rather than add to the mass of negativity.

Having said that my opinion is Blackett is still a liability and don't understand the love he gets. Yes a few games of not-totally-shit performance in a team that is generally awful doesn't inspire me with confidence. Gunter on the other hand has been solid, fit and will give us stability. His negativity is down to Stam. He hasn't always been like that. It's Clements' job to get him to play more positively.
Gunter has always been over cautious and negative. Stam just gave it official sanction.

Blackett may have his flaws, but Gunter is absolutely one of the reasons the TEAM plays badly.

Ok. I'm on the fence with Gunter. Its just that we've been utterly shit with or without him so whilst he may have his flaws he clearly isn't the main problem (and I know you're not suggesting that).

However I'm not on the fence with Blackett. Seen enough of him to not have any confidence in him in our defensive line, even if he has improved a little over time and has his best form for us and is less shit than he was.

Gunter has been part of a successful Wales team, has been rated by every manager, and I just can't see him being that bad. Infinitely better than Blackett in my opinion and worth starting in his place. I think it was perfectly reasonable for PC to bring him in and many including me would've been shocked had he chosen not to. Would've made more sense to play him on the left though and let Yiadom keep his spot.

When your competition is Jazz oxf*rd Richards of course you're going to get picked for your national team.
Last edited by sandman on 03 Sep 2018 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 03 Sep 2018 11:21

Superb post and I'm glad someone else spotted this. Dellor was complaining about the first bottled challenge and Gooding said "yeah but then others messed it up in the box so you can't just blame him".

Then I saw the replay and had to watch it 5 times in disbelief as he continued to be shit and just let the left winger run whilst he walked around enjoying the weather. Then the half lunge. What's wrong with him?

I get that he's not a defender but that's just basic football.

Ummm, I think I can put my hand up and say I said exactly this .... I think in the match thread, virtually in real time..... just a lazy, over paid, ball watching bottler.

Would it be churlish to actually hope he does fall down the stairs at home ... or gets squeezed between two cars while trying to cross the road?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Sep 2018 11:27

I also have no confidence in blackett, but at the very least his youth means he has the potential to improve. gunter is going nowhere but down from an already low base

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Sep 2018 11:28

sandman
Snowflake Royal Gunter has always been over cautious and negative. Stam just gave it official sanction.

When your competition is Jazz oxf*rd Richards of course you're going to get picked for you national team.

Yeah we need to retire this argument. He's an ok player. Completely for a place against Neal Eardly for most of your career must be crazy difficult.

The managers haven't come in and said "oxf*rd hell! We have Chris Gunter?!?! We're sorted so. No need to sign any players. Gunter is the shit. Premier league here we come."

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Sep 2018 12:39

sandman
Snowflake Royal Gunter has always been over cautious and negative. Stam just gave it official sanction.

When your competition is Jazz oxf*rd Richards of course you're going to get picked for your national team.

And a certain Hal Robson-Kanu has had 44 caps for this fantastic National team albeit he has now retired after scoring 5 goals as a striker to concentrate on playing for West Brom reserves.

Whitley

by Whitley » 03 Sep 2018 13:44

RoyalBlue
Whitley Our squad is so unbalanced, we have too many similar players and not the type of players we need, we still lack a midfield general and a goalscorer.

So what was Clement doing about that during the transfer window? Where are the leaders on the pitch that he said he was going to get?

Clement said in his interview that he was trying to offload players, he hinted that the people above him didn't do their part in this process.

I think Clement hoped Meyler as many of us thought would be his midfield general, unfortunately he's been utter shite. We also signed two strikers, neither are the type of strikers we need imo, but McNulty got 28 goals last season (albeit at a lower level, although he might be more in his depth next season) but can clearly find the goal.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 03 Sep 2018 14:19

Took my 5yo boy to his first match on Saturday. My first home match in about 7 years, prior to that was 11years ST, so I've seen both the rough and the smooth; What a shower of shite we are!! Has to be said though, not the worst I have first hand ever seen us play. However that midfield was bloody awful, and for me that is where Saturday was lost. Until Kelly & Sims came on, which made us look better, I was dumbfounded at how less that average we looked. Not a great advert for first timers!!

As I'm a firm believer in supporting your locals; Next game for K jr - Bournemouth. At least I'll enjoy the footy as a neutral

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Sep 2018 14:21

Matt de K Took my 5yo boy to his first match on Saturday. My first home match in about 7 years, prior to that was 11years ST, so I've seen both the rough and the smooth; What a shower of shite we are!! Has to be said though, not the worst I have first hand ever seen us play. However that midfield was bloody awful, and for me that is where Saturday was lost. Until Kelly & Sims came on, which made us look better, I was dumbfounded at how less that average we looked. Not a great advert for first timers!!

As I'm a firm believer in supporting your locals; Next game for K jr - Bournemouth. At least I'll enjoy the footy as a neutral

Are you going with Reading 4 Eva?

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 03 Sep 2018 14:29

Old Man Andrews
Matt de K Took my 5yo boy to his first match on Saturday. My first home match in about 7 years, prior to that was 11years ST, so I've seen both the rough and the smooth; What a shower of shite we are!! Has to be said though, not the worst I have first hand ever seen us play. However that midfield was bloody awful, and for me that is where Saturday was lost. Until Kelly & Sims came on, which made us look better, I was dumbfounded at how less that average we looked. Not a great advert for first timers!!

Are you going with Reading 4 Eva?

If he can get me a couple of tickets then yes

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Sep 2018 15:19

Victor Meldrew
sandman

And a certain Hal Robson-Kanu has had 44 caps for this fantastic National team albeit he has now retired after scoring 5 goals as a striker to concentrate on playing for West Brom reserves.

Yep a national team that reached the semi finals of a major tournament and knocked out a superb Belgian side in doing so. As for HRK he has had a perfectly decent career. How many other players in our entire history have scored an outstanding goal in a major international quarter final?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Sep 2018 15:27

Zip
Victor Meldrew
sandman

Yep a national team that reached the semi finals of a major tournament and knocked out a superb Belgian side in doing so. As for HRK he has had a perfectly decent career. How many other players in our entire history have scored an outstanding goal in a major international quarter final?

Not really a fair question that.

252 posts