252 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Weds H

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Sep 2018 13:42

Hound
leon
Snowball
An example is Meyler. I took special note of him in the first 20/25 minutes and I thought he was very tidy. I forget what he did wrong, but he made a bad mistake around 22 minutes and you could literally see his head go. Had he been subbed off for Kelly on 25, it would have been a different game.

I thought Meyler did OK in the 1st half against Bolton both positionally and technically. Second half the entire midfield collapsed. Since then he's been poor. He's an international - he was brought in, presumably to bring in some experience and leadership. His head shouldn't be dropping after a few games.

Is he really happy at Reading?

He should be. He has a nice contract I imagine, 2 old mates from the Ireland squad and a place in the first team. What is there to be unhappy about?

Going back to the PO season, I think a lot of the work done by McCleary and Beerens is often overlooked. I think we miss Williams massively, but if I recall, a lot of people spent a large amount of time suggesting he should be dropped. Obvs his form took a massive upturn in the last couple of months when he was outstanding.

Both Beerens and McCleary, esp before Christmas, scored a number of goals, but also created a number of outstanding chances. McCleary was also pretty disciplined defensively, even playing as a RWB on a number of occasions. I think Aluko has been a massive downgrade on what Beerens initially offered. I don't think we created a great deal more than what we are now, but it was of higher quality, and those 2 finished the chances themselves.

I'd love to see McCleary back to his form of that season, though its probably never going to happen

I genuinely believe if McCleary never got injured and his form didn't drop off as far as it did we would never have had the rapid fall from grace after the playoff game.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Sep 2018 15:36

Snowball I thought BOTH Reading fullbacks had an excellent game.

As others have said, the invisible midfield were the problem.

Thought the three subs showed commitment and energy. I really think McNulty should be given a decent run. He seems to play deeper, like a number ten (which might help the midfield)

Sims on his own would probably beat a team of Aluko's. Kelly was decent when subbed on.

The defence, with a bog-standard hard-working midfield in front of it would be more than adequate for a top half finish, probably a top third finish. ATM we aren't giving away many clear-cut chances but opponents are taking a high percentage of the chances they get.

Would love to see the stats for opponents' shots on target (Stam's last twenty games versus this season's games). I think, ATM, we are "kind of" unlucky. We are letting in an unusually high percentage of chances conceded, and sadly, heads drop. It isn't "gutless". It's due to the sheer number of lost games.

When we get our first win, if we could then fluke a second and deserve a third, these same players, this team, will suddenly look pretty decent.

Apart from Watford we have yet to be played off the park, as our GD shows. We need a mini-miracle, a lucky 90th minute winner off someone's knee, anything.

An example is Meyler. I took special note of him in the first 20/25 minutes and I thought he was very tidy. I forget what he did wrong, but he made a bad mistake around 22 minutes and you could literally see his head go. Had he been subbed off for Kelly on 25, it would have been a different game.

Yes, I'm worried that 2-3 more games without wins will very likely put us on a definite road to relegation, but I also feel a win at Preston (for example) followed by beating Norwich, would totally turn the club around.

yep, agreed. the FBs were both decent
not a mad gunter fan, but he did ok

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Sep 2018 15:39

Maneki Neko
Snowball I thought BOTH Reading fullbacks had an excellent game.

As others have said, the invisible midfield were the problem.

Thought the three subs showed commitment and energy. I really think McNulty should be given a decent run. He seems to play deeper, like a number ten (which might help the midfield)

Sims on his own would probably beat a team of Aluko's. Kelly was decent when subbed on.

The defence, with a bog-standard hard-working midfield in front of it would be more than adequate for a top half finish, probably a top third finish. ATM we aren't giving away many clear-cut chances but opponents are taking a high percentage of the chances they get.

Would love to see the stats for opponents' shots on target (Stam's last twenty games versus this season's games). I think, ATM, we are "kind of" unlucky. We are letting in an unusually high percentage of chances conceded, and sadly, heads drop. It isn't "gutless". It's due to the sheer number of lost games.

When we get our first win, if we could then fluke a second and deserve a third, these same players, this team, will suddenly look pretty decent.

Apart from Watford we have yet to be played off the park, as our GD shows. We need a mini-miracle, a lucky 90th minute winner off someone's knee, anything.

Yes, I'm worried that 2-3 more games without wins will very likely put us on a definite road to relegation, but I also feel a win at Preston (for example) followed by beating Norwich, would totally turn the club around.

yep, agreed. the FBs were both decent
not a mad gunter fan, but he did ok

That back 4 is our strongest defence.

As has been mentioned here ad nauseum, the issue is midfield particularly central midfield - sort that and we *should* be ok.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2018 15:54

Gunter's tolerable as long as he's played at LB where he's less inclined to take his first touch back inside and pass to a centre back.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 04 Sep 2018 16:20

Stranded

As has been mentioned here ad nauseum, the issue is midfield particularly central midfield - sort that and we *should* be ok.

I would say its the wings as the non tracking back ethic they have and outrageous positional play (aluko) stretches out the middle allowing opposition just to waltz through. Once a manager see's that wingers dont track back or consistently out of position, it is extremely easy to set up to play against us.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Sep 2018 16:46

Coppells Lost Coat
Stranded

I would say its the wings as the non tracking back ethic they have and outrageous positional play (aluko) stretches out the middle allowing opposition just to waltz through. Once a manager see's that wingers dont track back or consistently out of position, it is extremely easy to set up to play against us.

Perhaps our manager might see that too and do something about it.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Sep 2018 18:04

Victor Meldrew Perhaps our manager might see that too and do something about it.

Clement needs to trim the squad. Once they'll be frozen out permanently. I have no preference as to who now walks on the pitch. Other than that they give a full 90 minutes of effort. Even if the football is direct and not pleasing on the eye. Better than sinking without a fight. At least it would rouse the crowd. Which in turn would lift the players.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 04 Sep 2018 18:36

NewCorkSeth I genuinely believe if McCleary never got injured and his form didn't drop off as far as it did we would never have had the rapid fall from grace after the playoff game.

While I don't disagree, the alternate angle is we were massively reliant on an over-performing player who was likely past his peak (25-26 is usual for a winger). Add in Kermorgant having an extraordinary season at 34/35 and a drop off in the following season would have been expected.

Had both regressed slightly last season rather than completely failed to recover from injuries - one of the key risk when you are dependent on older players - I believe we would have been safe, but likely not in the play off mix. Without either of them, AAH, Beerans, Obita and Williams it turns out the rest of the squad are not very good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2018 19:09

Victor Meldrew
Coppells Lost Coat
Stranded

How. He can't just chase Aluko and Barrow around with a cattleprod until they get to the right place and make a challenge. I'd oxf*rd love to see him try though.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Sep 2018 19:14

Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew
Coppells Lost Coat

How. He can't just chase Aluko and Barrow around with a cattleprod until they get to the right place and make a challenge. I'd oxf*rd love to see him try though.

:lol:

Me too. Whatever it takes. The beatings will continue until morale improves.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Sep 2018 21:53

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew

KMFDM?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Sep 2018 22:31

John Madejski's Wallet
Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal How. He can't just chase Aluko and Barrow around with a cattleprod until they get to the right place and make a challenge. I'd oxf*rd love to see him try though.

KMFDM?

:wink:

252 posts