BFTG - Weds H

252 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Weds H

by Zip » 02 Sep 2018 17:58

Denver Royal
Pandoras Box Be it the style or the players’ psyche, the amount of damage Stam has done to this club is unbelievable.

Yeah, I keep hearing this. Might one say then, the damage done by Adkins/Clarke (17th and 19th) hampered Stam in his 1st season here, and that it prevented us gaining promotion? I don't recall that having been espoused, if it ever was.

Yep I agree. Stam left in March. We can’t keep blaming him for what is happening now. I don’t recall many posters blaming Gourlay and the owners back in March either. Stam paid the penalty. He was sacked. We have moved on.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Sep 2018 19:27

Zip
Denver Royal
Pandoras Box Be it the style or the players’ psyche, the amount of damage Stam has done to this club is unbelievable.

Yeah, I keep hearing this. Might one say then, the damage done by Adkins/Clarke (17th and 19th) hampered Stam in his 1st season here, and that it prevented us gaining promotion? I don't recall that having been espoused, if it ever was.

Yep I agree. Stam left in March. We can’t keep blaming him for what is happening now. I don’t recall many posters blaming Gourlay and the owners back in March either. Stam paid the penalty. He was sacked. We have moved on.

Yep, when we ran in to probs last season and Stam came out and said ‘Things are not right off the field, the club has been mis-managed for years’, etc, he caught a lot of grief for it. Now, most everyone in here is saying similar. And now, Clement is starting to ‘allude’ to same...and people are talking him up for being honest and speaking his mind.
Anyway, while people are ‘feeling sorry’ for Clement, we only missed promotion on pen, and if Stam had taken over a better situation then we might be in PL right now. I’ve not heard that cited much, is all.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Sep 2018 20:07

tbf Denver, think you’re the one who needs to move on from Stam. He came, almost cracked it, but then got massively found out. He almost worked a miracle but ended up leaving us in as bad a state as when he arrived, it not more so

He’s gone now - no real point keep reminding us all we almost got to the Prem.

Whitley

by Whitley » 02 Sep 2018 20:30

Literally no point talking about yesterdays performance, we were shite and there isn't much more Clement can do. His post match interview said it all, very honest but sounded like a defeated man.

Clements subs yesterday were spot on, however he should've made them at half time imo or atleast taken off the useless Aluko and Meyler, we played the first half with 9 men. Barrow looked unfit or just uninterested and was rightly taken off.

The problem with our team is our midfield is so woeful, we have some decent players at this level but not any that seem to be able to play with each other, certainly not in a 2. Hopefully this Iranian lad is able to give us more steel in midfield that we desperately lack, Bacuna did OK yesterday, but Meyler was invisible.

Playing 4-4-2 or (4-2-4) with Aluko and Barrow is a waste of time, neither are able to defend and hardly track back especially when our midfield are so useless but provided no protection from the wingers.

Our squad is so unbalanced, we have too many similar players and not the type of players we need, we still lack a midfield general and a goalscorer.

Its going to be a long season

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Sep 2018 20:54

Whitley Literally no point talking about yesterdays performance, we were shite and there isn't much more Clement can do. His post match interview said it all, very honest but sounded like a defeated man.

Clements subs yesterday were spot on, however he should've made them at half time imo or atleast taken off the useless Aluko and Meyler, we played the first half with 9 men. Barrow looked unfit or just uninterested and was rightly taken off.

The problem with our team is our midfield is so woeful, we have some decent players at this level but not any that seem to be able to play with each other, certainly not in a 2. Hopefully this Iranian lad is able to give us more steel in midfield that we desperately lack, Bacuna did OK yesterday, but Meyler was invisible.

Playing 4-4-2 or (4-2-4) with Aluko and Barrow is a waste of time, neither are able to defend and hardly track back especially when our midfield are so useless but provided no protection from the wingers.

Our squad is so unbalanced, we have too many similar players and not the type of players we need, we still lack a midfield general and a goalscorer.

Its going to be a long season

Spot on - good post

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Sep 2018 21:10

Agree with some of what you say Whitley, but PCs job is to manage this team. There is plenty he can do - from dropping the woeful Aluko, sticking with a consistent 2 or 3 in midfield, to taking out a full detailed look at why we concede so often from 45-60

It’s a privileged and well paid job and he needs to step up to it

The squad also is absolutely huge - which brings with it its own problems - but we have 2 players for every position, and could play 4-4-2, 5-3-2, 2-3-5 or whatever we wanted with the set of players. Could play 2 wide defensive midfielders, 2 target men whatever. Could play half a team of U23s if he wanted. I don’t think imbalance is any excuse. Too many average players - yes

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Sep 2018 21:41

Hound tbf Denver, think you’re the one who needs to move on from Stam. He came, almost cracked it, but then got massively found out. He almost worked a miracle but ended up leaving us in as bad a state as when he arrived, it not more so

Stam apologists are like a cult. Obviously a very small cult because it's only Meffff and Denver.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Sep 2018 22:03

sandman
Hound tbf Denver, think you’re the one who needs to move on from Stam. He came, almost cracked it, but then got massively found out. He almost worked a miracle but ended up leaving us in as bad a state as when he arrived, it not more so

Stam apologists are like a cult. Obviously a very small cult because it's only Meffff and Denver.

And Denver uses the expressions “rookie coach” and “defensive shutouts” too many times

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Sep 2018 22:10

leon
sandman

And Denver uses the expressions “rookie coach” and “defensive shutouts” too many times

‘“Defensive shutouts” is a bit of a give away but I have no problem with “rookie coach”. Stop being such a girl Leon. 8)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Sep 2018 22:20

Zip
leon
sandman

‘“Defensive shutouts” is a bit of a give away but I have no problem with “rookie coach”. Stop being such a girl Leon. 8)

Someone needs to have standards.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 02 Sep 2018 23:39

1. Aluko is an absolute disgrace to Reading FC, the bottled tackle is not the first and won’t be the last

2. It’s time to protest against the way the club is being ran Gourlay and Tevreden should have left with Stam

3. Clement isn’t the source of this rut. When is this team going to have some form of togetherness?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Sep 2018 07:59

bracksroyal10 1. Aluko is an absolute disgrace to Reading FC, the bottled tackle is not the first and won’t be the last

2. It’s time to protest against the way the club is being ran Gourlay and Tevreden should have left with Stam

3. Clement isn’t the source of this rut. When is this team going to have some form of togetherness?

When it comes to 3, that is surely the manager's job to create/instil.

Whitley Our squad is so unbalanced, we have too many similar players and not the type of players we need, we still lack a midfield general and a goalscorer.

So what was Clement doing about that during the transfer window? Where are the leaders on the pitch that he said he was going to get?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Sep 2018 08:45

RoyalBlue
bracksroyal10 1. Aluko is an absolute disgrace to Reading FC, the bottled tackle is not the first and won’t be the last

It is. But the majority of this squad apparently liked and respected Stam and couldn't get it together. Nothing seems to have changed under Clement. Question is, would it change under another manager? Evidence of having made a change suggests probably not.

The issue is the underwhelming crap we have in the squad. They are here for a pay cheque and nothing else. Think it speaks volumes that we were unable to move many players on even on loan.
Last edited by Stranded on 03 Sep 2018 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2018 08:53

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Old Man Andrews
2 world wars, 1 world cup The positives:

1) Gunter, fantastic athlete survived the game. Put him at left back as people have suggested. Good to see him back.

If we needed a fantastic athlete I'm sure Daley Thompson would have got a run out by now. Gunter is negative and slows our play down massively. Yiadom and Blackett were about our only positives in this shower of shite season and poor Tyler Blackett who is in the best form he has been for us is rewarded by being dropped. Gunter has had his time here and needs to go.

I was just trying to find as many positives as I could rather than add to the mass of negativity.

Having said that my opinion is Blackett is still a liability and don't understand the love he gets. Yes a few games of not-totally-shit performance in a team that is generally awful doesn't inspire me with confidence. Gunter on the other hand has been solid, fit and will give us stability. His negativity is down to Stam. He hasn't always been like that. It's Clements' job to get him to play more positively.
Gunter has always been over cautious and negative. Stam just gave it official sanction.

Blackett may have his flaws, but Gunter is absolutely one of the reasons the TEAM plays badly.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 03 Sep 2018 08:54

Stranded
RoyalBlue

It is. But the majority of this squad apparently liked and respected Stam and couldn't get it together. Nothing seems to have changed under Clement. Question is, would it change under another manager? Evidence of having made a change suggests probably not.

The issue is the underwhelming crap we have in the squad. They are here for a paycheck and nothing else. Think it speaks volumes that we were unable to move many players on even on loan.

I agree

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2018 09:08

bobby1413 Any moron that sees relegation as good, or a chance to rebuild is a bloody idiot.

It is nothing other than a complete and utter disaster.

These same morons seem to think it's a one season visit to league one. Not sure why, absolutely no guarantee we would come back up. For 20ish years Reading have been playing in the top two tiers. That has had an immense impact on the clubs stature. It's made us into an established championship team.

I think you fundamentally misunderstand the position.

Firstly, relegation seems pretty inevitable sooner or later right now. Secondly, no one takes it for granted we'll bounce straight back. In fact at this point it's extremely unlikely.

I've said all along its better to go straight down and break the cycle of shit rather than spending 5 years narrowly avoiding the inevitable and getting stuck in a cycle of losing constantly. Many people thought I was mad, well sadly we're most of the way towards doing the latter and seeing why I wanted to avoid it at all costs. Going down is not the end of the world. It may be extremely damaging, but if you're committed to the club long term then you'll likely see and enjoy us recover.

At the end of the day, we go to watch Reading FC and want to see them win. What division it's in is important, but not more important than winning. Most of those who stick by the side and continue to go will be happier seeing 20 wins a season in League One than seeing 12 wins a season in the Championship.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Sep 2018 09:09

Snowflake Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Old Man Andrews
If we needed a fantastic athlete I'm sure Daley Thompson would have got a run out by now. Gunter is negative and slows our play down massively. Yiadom and Blackett were about our only positives in this shower of shite season and poor Tyler Blackett who is in the best form he has been for us is rewarded by being dropped. Gunter has had his time here and needs to go.

I was just trying to find as many positives as I could rather than add to the mass of negativity.

Having said that my opinion is Blackett is still a liability and don't understand the love he gets. Yes a few games of not-totally-shit performance in a team that is generally awful doesn't inspire me with confidence. Gunter on the other hand has been solid, fit and will give us stability. His negativity is down to Stam. He hasn't always been like that. It's Clements' job to get him to play more positively.
Gunter has always been over cautious and negative. Stam just gave it official sanction.

Blackett may have his flaws, but Gunter is absolutely one of the reasons the TEAM plays badly.

Total agreement shocker!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Sep 2018 09:20

Snowflake Royal
bobby1413 Any moron that sees relegation as good, or a chance to rebuild is a bloody idiot.

It is nothing other than a complete and utter disaster.

These same morons seem to think it's a one season visit to league one. Not sure why, absolutely no guarantee we would come back up. For 20ish years Reading have been playing in the top two tiers. That has had an immense impact on the clubs stature. It's made us into an established championship team.

I think you fundamentally misunderstand the position.

Firstly, relegation seems pretty inevitable sooner or later right now. Secondly, no one takes it for granted we'll bounce straight back. In fact at this point it's extremely unlikely.

I've said all along its better to go straight down and break the cycle of shit rather than spending 5 years narrowly avoiding the inevitable and getting stuck in a cycle of losing constantly. Many people thought I was mad, well sadly we're most of the way towards doing the latter and seeing why I wanted to avoid it at all costs. Going down is not the end of the world. It may be extremely damaging, but if you're committed to the club long term then you'll likely see and enjoy us recover.

At the end of the day, we go to watch Reading FC and want to see them win. What division it's in is important, but not more important than winning. Most of those who stick by the side and continue to go will be happier seeing 20 wins a season in League One than seeing 12 wins a season in the Championship.

Whilst I see some logic in that there are plenty of teams who manage to sort out their problems without going down, so that is preferable.

My concern should we go down, is will we be a Blackburn, sort the issues and come back or would be a Charlton, Coventry etc where issues pervading the club are not sorted and we begin to stagnate in L1 or lower.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2018 09:21

For those of you criticising the signings of players like McNulty and Baldock, or of the love for Meite.

I just want you to have a think about what's wrong with our players. They're gutless, negative, lethargic and apathetic.

None of those things describe our two new strikers or Meite.

Our biggest problem is player attitude. So oxf*rd the likes of Gunter, Meyler, Bacuna, Aluko. Play the ones that run. That try. That move. That have an ounce of positivity.

Until the playing staff and attitude change it doesn't matter who is in charge. We're doomed.

Our problems are typified by the lack of first time or early passes and crosses into the front two. Baldock actually breaks the lines and finds space very well, but the ball is almost never played up early to his feet.

So often a winger, midfielder or fullback plays a poorly weighted pass to a winger or fullback only for them to take three touches rather than just whip a ball in early.

It's the early pass / shot / cross that defenders can't cope with. They're off balance, unprepared, not set. By the time we do anything opposition defences are in perfect position because we're not playing by instinct.

Managers can tell players to do it. They can coach players to do it. But they can't make players do it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2018 09:24

Denver Royal
Zip
Denver Royal Yeah, I keep hearing this. Might one say then, the damage done by Adkins/Clarke (17th and 19th) hampered Stam in his 1st season here, and that it prevented us gaining promotion? I don't recall that having been espoused, if it ever was.

Yep, when we ran in to probs last season and Stam came out and said ‘Things are not right off the field, the club has been mis-managed for years’, etc, he caught a lot of grief for it. Now, most everyone in here is saying similar. And now, Clement is starting to ‘allude’ to same...and people are talking him up for being honest and speaking his mind.
Anyway, while people are ‘feeling sorry’ for Clement, we only missed promotion on pen, and if Stam had taken over a better situation then we might be in PL right now. I’ve not heard that cited much, is all.

acually everyone agreed with him. They were pissed off at him because he was the manager who had wasted the most money on shit signings and was mismanaging the team the worst.

oxf*rd Stam he's gone. He was a disaster. Forget him.

252 posts