Who can save us

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Who can save us

by Hound » 02 Sep 2018 20:11

Colin crossed my mind as well

Not that I’d want him in as such - but I do think we need to somewhat do what Cardiff did the season he took over

A lot of the players do seem to need a bit of an arse kicking from the management. I look at people like Meyler and Aluko and wonder what motivation they have to do well. They are already rich, coming to the end of the careers - can they be bothered scrapping it out at a half empty Mad Stad? Evidence suggests not. Then you have the younger Kelly’s and Swifts with big fat contracts earned on half a season of decent form. Again do they know how to really scrap?

I’m not sure it’s a huge coincidence that Meite is working his backside off despite his limitations - and is in the last year of his contract. Likewise to an extent Blackett, who has started the season ok

Clement needs to find and consistently pick the hungriest looking players and keep a system which they know and can play with.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Sep 2018 22:06

Hound Colin crossed my mind as well

Not that I’d want him in as such - but I do think we need to somewhat do what Cardiff did the season he took over

A lot of the players do seem to need a bit of an arse kicking from the management. I look at people like Meyler and Aluko and wonder what motivation they have to do well. They are already rich, coming to the end of the careers - can they be bothered scrapping it out at a half empty Mad Stad? Evidence suggests not. Then you have the younger Kelly’s and Swifts with big fat contracts earned on half a season of decent form. Again do they know how to really scrap?

I’m not sure it’s a huge coincidence that Meite is working his backside off despite his limitations - and is in the last year of his contract. Likewise to an extent Blackett, who has started the season ok

Clement needs to find and consistently pick the hungriest looking players and keep a system which they know and can play with.

Yep agree with that. I would love to see Meite do well but he doesn’t look to have the ability to do so. Is he a better option than Novakovich? I have my doubts. Too many players were rewarded with fat contracts too easily and too quickly. Look at the shambles surrounding Kermorgant getting another year when he had only just come back from injury and no one knew if he would be up to it.

Then we have Jaakkola given another year? Why? He wasn’t deemed good enough to be our number two so he should have been told he had no future with us.
Then we sign O’Shea who isn’t really a viable option because McShane is still ahead of him in the pecking order despite being very poor over the past twelve months.

Then there is David Meylor....and Leandro Bacuna and Liam Kelly and John Swift and David Edwards and Pelle Clement. We don’t have two out of this shower that can play together and hold their own meaning a 4/4/2 formation isn’t going to work.

To trump it all we have Sone Aluko on a long term deal. It would cost a fortune to pay him off. Pound for pound he is the worst signing in our history. His heart is not with Reading FC.

Terrible decision making at the club has left us with a bloated, lethargic squad with most of the players on long contracts happy to be paid a fortune without remotely justifying their massive wages. We are currently a shell of a club.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Sep 2018 23:07

What about big Mick? Cheap and available and would more or less guarantee survival.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Sep 2018 23:15

Old Man Andrews

What about big Mick? Cheap and available and would more or less guarantee survival.

The members of the cult of Stam would have a heart attack if Mick came in. "Doesn't play the right brand of football" or some shit.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Sep 2018 23:18

sandman
Old Man Andrews

The members of the cult of Stam would have a heart attack if Mick came in. "Doesn't play the right brand of football" or some shit.

You've just made his appointment extremely appealing......

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Sep 2018 23:21

It is appealing until you consider the prospect of Meyler and McShane being the first names on the team sheet every week.
Last edited by sandman on 02 Sep 2018 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 02 Sep 2018 23:28

Murty would be a huge gamble but one I would be willing to see. At this stage I just want to see a team that cares.

Clement is a likeable person and I want to see him to turn this around but I can’t see it

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 03 Sep 2018 07:06

I'd pick up big Mick and deliver him to the stadium myself. I like him as a bloke and he will get us out this mess.

However Gourlay won't want that and will eventually get us relegated

I don't blame Clement. I like his honesty and whatever happens history will be kind to him here. He will be seen as a man who inherited a mess, a man who did his best. He will get another job after Reading.

Jaap not so much. Gourlay no one else will touch with a barge pole. Tevreden will disappear back to Holland never to be heard from again
Last edited by Reading4eva on 03 Sep 2018 07:16, edited 1 time in total.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 03 Sep 2018 07:10

Its evident the Chinese have money and lots of it. However what's also evident is they are trusting an idiot in Gourlay to spend it.

It's like me handing you my bank account, asking you to build me a house and you buying a load of jam jars. The Chinese are trusting the wrong man. If they want the right man, Nicky Hammond is available

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Sep 2018 07:55

Reading4eva I'd pick up big Mick and deliver him to the stadium myself. I like him as a bloke and he will get us out this mess

+1

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Sep 2018 07:57

Reading4eva

Its evident the Chinese have money and lots of it. However what's also evident is they are trusting an idiot in Gourlay to spend it.

It's like me handing you my bank account, asking you to build me a house and you buying a load of jam jars. The Chinese are trusting the wrong man. If they want the right man, Nicky Hammond is available

I wonder what type of reference the West Brom faithful would give him!

Returning to managers, a good coach doesn't necessarily make a good manager and vice versa. Reading Marcus Hahnemann's Premiership Diaries it became clear that whilst 'Steve Coppell pulled the strings', Kevin Dillon led the day to day training and coaching. Maybe that's what's wrong with the present set up. Clement is clearly a coach, do we need someone to work with him as manager.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2018 09:38

CountryRoyal Honestly, realistically no one. We’d need a really good man manager and motivator and then still 3 or 4 actually good players. In this league once you string a few wins together it’s relatively easy to build up a bit of confidence and a winning mentality to carry a limited team a long way. Look at Cardiff for example. Organisation and work ethic combined with a couple of quality players go a long way.

I do like Clement I do, but every shroud of evidence - anecdotal or self-observed has suggested that whilst he’s a very accomplished coach and assistant, he hasn’t aptly demonstrated adequate managerial ability to suggest he is the right man to either keep us in this division, or get us up from the one bellow.

I genuinely think the only one who might have what it takes is Warnock.

He'd bully our lot into at least fighting. Whether that'd be enough... who knows

Whoever we get if we change they have to experienced. McCarthy isn't a bad shout either, but passed his best. If he couldn't turn us around this season he's got a better chance than most in L1.

Failing that, Parky post relegation.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Sep 2018 10:10

Can’t believe I’m saying it but would love Warnock at club right now. :shock:

Wtf has happened to us??

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Sep 2018 12:14

Nigel Pearson. The man we should have got in after McDermott (II)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Sep 2018 12:31

I think we will struggle to attract a decent manager to be honest, not that the board will necessarily identify anyone half decent.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Sep 2018 20:43

Gourley will never sack Clement. It would make him look even more clueless in his running of the club than he already looks. Mick McCarthy is an interesting shout. It appears he did a much better job at Ipswich than he was given credit for. He certainly has the right personality for a fight. Couple of years ago I would have said no f-ing way. But now I think he might be a decent fit.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Sep 2018 22:07

The choice is almost endless

Big Mick
Big Sam
Olly
Psycho Roy Keane
Saggy Harry
Steve Cotterell
David Moyes
Shaven Bilic
Terry Henry
Glenn the Messiah
Paul Lambert
Gus Poyet
Claudio Ranieri
Mark Warburton
Felix Magath
Chris Coleman

Boy, there’s some crap managers out there!

Seriously wouldn’t mind Carlos Carvahal

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Sep 2018 22:26

Holloway
Pulis was available
Potter obv was
Nigel Clough prolly would be
Steve Bruce almost was

Btw, by Leeds' own admission, Bielsa was actually their 4th choice, behind Conte, Ranieri, and Roberto Martinez

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 03 Sep 2018 22:28

bracksroyal10 Clement is a likeable person and I want to see him to turn this around but I can’t see it

I don't get why people say this, he's so dour and isn't exactly enigmatic. I don't see anything inspiring in his demeanor.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Sep 2018 23:38

We don't need saving, we are wonderful :D

EFL Stats

@EFLStats
Sep 2

EFL Championship top teams – GW6
Passing accuracy
1 Aston Villa 83% #AVFC
2 Millwall 81% #MillwallFC