Oxf*rd off Maff
12%
Ian Royal
12%

Total votes: 139
earleypr

Re: Clement

by earleypr » 20 Sep 2018 19:33

Clement was always a lazy appointment for me. I feel like they just went for him because of his Chelsea/Madrid/Bayern connections but he was an assistant in all of those jobs, and its a totally different level. He's not terrible but I've always thought he would be a stopgap. If he had done well at Reading he was never going to be around long, the club would have just been a stepping stone for him. And if things went badly as they are doing now I could only see the negativity creep in and Clement getting sacked, which is going to be likely by Christmas.

I don't blame him entirely, the club has lost it's way. Better times will come back but I think relegations likely before then.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2018 20:01

leon
Snowflake Royal I understand the urge to blame the manager, after all Clement is the only person at the club we can actually do anything to get rid of as fans. I also accept that Clement is not doing a good job.

What I can no longer accept is blaming managers for the poor performance of the players. These players have had ample opportunity to perform under at least two and in many cases three or four different managers. They have failed nearly to a man. I'd expect the players to perform better than they are with no coaches or manager at all!

In my opinion you can't complain about the pitchside performance in one breath, followed by how angry Clement obviously was at it, and then reach the conclusion that it's him that has to go. As far as I can tell he's the one oxf*rd person at the club that gives a shit and IS trying.

The only continuity in poor performance is the players. There is only so long you can blame and sack managers before there is a clear common denominator on display and I've reached that point. I'm sickened by them. They can quite literally just oxf*rd off.

Play the Academy, we're going down anyway, at least it will be professional league experience whilst they can get it. Send a message to the poncy overpaid clowns in the first team.

He keeps picking exactly the same underperforming players. Aluko, Gunter , Kelly, Swift, Bacuna that he gets cross with.

Being angry with your own team selection turning out the inevitable shit performances time after time can only last so long.

That’s the point.

That's not entirely accurate though is it. We've played 8 games and our midfield starting appearances have been:
Swift - 4
Bacuna - 5
Kelly - 6
Meyler - 5

Aluko has 6 and Barrow, McCleary, Popa and Harriott have all been out injured with Meite playing upfront sometimes.

Gunter has only played 3, and Blackett and Obita are injured.

He's got to play someone. Give him some decent players and maybe he wouldn't be getting angry at poor performances because different players would actually do what they were asked and make an effort.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Sep 2018 20:04

leon
Snowflake Royal I understand the urge to blame the manager, after all Clement is the only person at the club we can actually do anything to get rid of as fans. I also accept that Clement is not doing a good job.

What I can no longer accept is blaming managers for the poor performance of the players. These players have had ample opportunity to perform under at least two and in many cases three or four different managers. They have failed nearly to a man. I'd expect the players to perform better than they are with no coaches or manager at all!

In my opinion you can't complain about the pitchside performance in one breath, followed by how angry Clement obviously was at it, and then reach the conclusion that it's him that has to go. As far as I can tell he's the one oxf*rd person at the club that gives a shit and IS trying.

The only continuity in poor performance is the players. There is only so long you can blame and sack managers before there is a clear common denominator on display and I've reached that point. I'm sickened by them. They can quite literally just oxf*rd off.

Play the Academy, we're going down anyway, at least it will be professional league experience whilst they can get it. Send a message to the poncy overpaid clowns in the first team.

He keeps picking exactly the same underperforming players. Aluko, Gunter , Kelly, Swift, Bacuna that he gets cross with.

Being angry with your own team selection turning out the inevitable shit performances time after time can only last so long.

That’s the point.

Yes he keeps playing the same players because we don't have others in reserve who are any better in many cases. He stuck to a winning side after Preston (ironically many on here moaned at Stam for not doing this!!) but after the Norwich loss I am sure that on Saturday Barrow and Sims will start but there is not a great deal else he can do. We might have a big squad but there are lots of injured players still.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2018 20:09

Yeah, if Sims and Bod don't start on Saturday, the mind boggles.

Just FYI all those who enjoyed slating Bod last season and through the summer... currently got a scoring record of less than 1 in 2. Minutes wise its a frankly ludicrously good 1 goal ever 97 minutes 30 seconds. Still only starts half our games mind, I guess we don't need a 42 goal a season striker. :roll:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Sep 2018 20:11

andrew1957
leon

That’s the point.

Yes he keeps playing the same players because we don't have others in reserve who are any better in many cases. He stuck to a winning side after Preston (ironically many on here moaned at Stam for not doing this!!) but after the Norwich loss I am sure that on Saturday Barrow and Sims will start but there is not a great deal else he can do. We might have a big squad but there are lots of injured players still.

Anyone seriously think Aluko will be dropped to let Sims have a start?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2018 20:19

Within three games, assuming Sims doesn't get injured in the meantime. Hopefully he'll be in on Saturday.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2018 20:49

Aluko has to go. And not just for a game or two, for good. Clement has to now back his own eyes and get rid. It’s obvious he doesn’t think a great deal as he keeps getting subbed

Get Sims in. Hope McCleary can do a passable impersonation of his previous self, and hopefully we’ll see the back of him for good

Gunter is likely to play a while longer unfortunately. Unless Blackett is back fit, no chance he’ll be dropped for a U23

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2018 21:56

I think Clement needs to seriously look at whether we play with wingers too.

If McClearly, Harriott plus Popa are injured and not up to it, Aluko is terrible and Barrow is a hit and miss luxury... you've got to think about ditching wingers and doing something different.

.........................Walker
............Gunter, Moore, Ilori
Yiadom....Moron..Clueless..Sims
...................Lightweight
.............Baldock, Bodvarsson

For example.

Hell, Aluko might actually contribute something in Swift's position even.

Compact in defence with plenty of numbers, pace on the break and strikers who can harry from the front when needed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2018 22:06

Don’t like that LHS. And suprised you of all people have picked Gunter

Could do it with Obita if he comes back ok.

Not sure it’d really do much better than we are now. I wouldn’t say playing with wingers isn’t working esp - out Preston winner was through wing play, as our goal was yesterday

Barrow and Sims should get a few games together imo

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Sep 2018 22:11

Snowflake Royal
leon

That’s the point.

That's not entirely accurate though is it. We've played 8 games and our midfield starting appearances have been:
Swift - 4
Bacuna - 5
Kelly - 6
Meyler - 5

Aluko has 6 and Barrow, McCleary, Popa and Harriott have all been out injured with Meite playing upfront sometimes.

Gunter has only played 3, and Blackett and Obita are injured.

He's got to play someone. Give him some decent players and maybe he wouldn't be getting angry at poor performances because different players would actually do what they were asked and make an effort.

Indeed one of those slots was taken up by Meyer. A Clement signing. Who’s been utter shit as well.

Clement got cross about him as well. :lol:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2018 08:36

Snowflake Royal I think Clement needs to seriously look at whether we play with wingers too.

If McClearly, Harriott plus Popa are injured and not up to it, Aluko is terrible and Barrow is a hit and miss luxury... you've got to think about ditching wingers and doing something different.

.........................Walker
............Gunter, Moore, Ilori
Yiadom....Moron..Clueless..Sims
...................Lightweight
.............Baldock, Bodvarsson

For example.

Hell, Aluko might actually contribute something in Swift's position even.

Compact in defence with plenty of numbers, pace on the break and strikers who can harry from the front when needed.

Could we not play Clueless where Lightweight is? I genuinely think Lightweight is a bit tougher than Clueless and can semi-tackle properly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2018 17:36

Hound Don’t like that LHS. And suprised you of all people have picked Gunter

Could do it with Obita if he comes back ok.

Not sure it’d really do much better than we are now. I wouldn’t say playing with wingers isn’t working esp - out Preston winner was through wing play, as our goal was yesterday

Barrow and Sims should get a few games together imo

Oh I'd never play Gunter again if I thought I had a viable alternative. But with Blackett injured and McShane done, there's not a lot of choice for a third centre back, and if you're going to play wing backs you need three centre backs.

It's not brilliant and we could play a front three with strikers instead of wingers as well. What ever we do it can't be continuing to play Aluko as a winger.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Sep 2018 18:21

Snowflake Royal Oh I'd never play Gunter again if I thought I had a viable alternative. But with Blackett injured and McShane done, there's not a lot of choice for a third centre back, and if you're going to play wing backs you need three centre backs

Wasn't that why we signed O'Shea?

We also have McIntyre and u23 captain Osho....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2018 18:22

maffff
Snowflake Royal Oh I'd never play Gunter again if I thought I had a viable alternative. But with Blackett injured and McShane done, there's not a lot of choice for a third centre back, and if you're going to play wing backs you need three centre backs

I forgot O'Shea existed. TBH I've still no idea why we signed him.

We do have CB options from the academy.... I'd be hesitant about introducing any of them to the wasters in our first team though.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Sep 2018 19:06

Snowflake Royal
maffff

We do have CB options from the academy.... I'd be hesitant about introducing any of them to the wasters in our first team though.

I'd be perfectly happy to give one a go alongside Ilori or Moore.

Don't know why we played with O'Shea in the cup with 3 at the back. That was the perfect opportunity for Osho.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2018 19:11

maffff
Snowflake Royal
maffff

I'd be perfectly happy to give one a go alongside Ilori or Moore.

Don't know why we played with O'Shea in the cup with 3 at the back. That was the perfect opportunity for Osho.

Yeah, it's not Ilori or Moore that's the problem. It's the shower in the middle of the park I don't want them anywhere near.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Sep 2018 19:39

osho has looked half decent whenever I have seen him

Would happily give him a go alongside Moore and Ilori if we were to play 3 CBS

We won’t though

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Sep 2018 19:57

If we’re playing 3 CBs then Blackett’s best position is left sided centre back out of 3.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Sep 2018 20:07

NewCorkSeth
John Smith
SCIAG ...eventually this approach paid dividends and we had one of our most successful spells at scoring set piece goals, particularly through Bikey.

Who scored 6 goals in 3 seasons for us. What are you on about? Stop guessing to try and sound clever.

Perhaps he meant having a nutter in the opposition box for a corner resulted in more goals than statistically average.

That season Bikey scored three goals in 25 games, which is good... but not as good as Sonko, who scored 3 goals in 2 or 3 games. Pearce and Ingimarsson also got one each. So that season our centre backs scored as many goals as Moore and Ilori have scored in their whole careers (2 for Ilori, 6 for Moore). That's before anyone bothers to check if any of our other players scored at set pieces that season - seems fairly likely given we had Doyle, NHunt, Long, Gunnarsson, and Cisse, but I really can't be bothered to check.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Sep 2018 20:51

CountryRoyal If we’re playing 3 CBs then Blackett’s best position is left sided centre back out of 3.

People have been saying he's injured though?

880 posts