Total votes: 139
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Clement

by maffff » 28 Oct 2018 11:51

Kulshaw72RFC
genome Someone apparently ITK on Twitter claiming Clement may be off

.who and how are they in the know?

Jordan is a former academy player, has lots of links to the club and media side. Knows his cabbages.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 28 Oct 2018 13:25

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2018 13:46

DOYLERSAROYALER https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ambitious-ron-gourlay-strives-lead-13604146?utm_source=sharebar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sharebar

The masterplan :shock: :shock:

Thanks, an article from September 2017 is really helpful.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 28 Oct 2018 13:57

Snowflake Royal
DOYLERSAROYALER https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ambitious-ron-gourlay-strives-lead-13604146?utm_source=sharebar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sharebar

Its relevant because that was his plan and now a year later look was a sh*tpile hes made of it and that includes the appt of Clement...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Oct 2018 14:11

DOYLERSAROYALER
Snowflake Royal

Its relevant because that was his plan and now a year later look was a sh*tpile hes made of it and that includes the appt of Clement...

Don't worry about Ian, he must just be coming on soon.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 28 Oct 2018 14:51

Old Man Andrews
DOYLERSAROYALER
Snowflake Royal Thanks, an article from September 2017 is really helpful.

Don't worry about Ian, he must just be coming on soon.

Didn't he make 2 snipey posts just this morning about how he only replies in an intelligent way when people talk to him in a stupid way? What was so bad about sharing that article?

Sundays must he hard I suppose. When families have roast dinners together or you go to the park with your kids, he must be really bored be all bitter and alone.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2018 16:07

Does seem to be a bit of noise around pretty much for the first time about a replacement for PC

Very much suspect it’s 2 weeks to save his job

Orion

by Orion » 29 Oct 2018 10:02

Anyone know if Clement is taking training this morning?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Oct 2018 15:03

Hoop Blah
Denver Royal ...Every day in here there are comparisons and references to Stam.
Not sure it’s relevant. Very low bar. 1st year mgr, short tenure, good first season (which nobody references). Bad partial 2nd season, so let’s key in on that for a metric and try to come up smelling like roses.
Unless one is trying to bail out Clement, really don’t see how Stam, at his juncture as a mgr, is really of much reference for anything as it relates to Clement.

Perhaps it's a relevant reference because Stam was working with largely the same squad and within the same overall environment that Clement is. There is nobody else who has done that so it's about as relevant a reference as there is.

Thought of that, but don't recall this many comparisons to the previous manager when Stam was in his first season? At least, not with the same frequency. But anyway, assuming you are right and comparison's are fine and relevant:

Stam:
P84 W34 D20 L31 F112 A121 GD -9 Avg pts pg 1.45 Avg goals pg 1.33 Avg goals against pg 1.44

Clement thus far ('massive upgrade'):
P23 W5 D5 L13 F23 A38 GD -15 Avg pts pg 0.86 Avg goals pg 1.00 Avg goals against pg 1.65

Orion

by Orion » 29 Oct 2018 15:20

Thought he would have been gone this morning, he's had his chance and has predictable messed it up.

Wrong appointments however it appears Gourley is going to give him the time to get us truly in the mire.

8 points adrift by December.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 29 Oct 2018 15:37

Hound Does seem to be a bit of noise around pretty much for the first time about a replacement for PC

Very much suspect it’s 2 weeks to save his job

anything less then a point v Brizzle (4 out of next 6 ) he has to go.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 29 Oct 2018 15:47

Orion Thought he would have been gone this morning, he's had his chance and has predictable messed it up.

Wrong appointments however it appears Gourley is going to give him the time to get us truly in the mire.

8 points adrift by December.

As its Gourmless's appointment, I think in the act of delaying Clements execution, hes trying to save his own arse from
yet another embarrassment to his damaged ego of being a sh*te CEO!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Oct 2018 16:05

Denver Royal Thought of that, but don't recall this many comparisons to the previous manager when Stam was in his first season? At least, not with the same frequency. But anyway, assuming you are right and comparison's are fine and relevant:

Stam:
P84 W34 D20 L31 F112 A121 GD -9 Avg pts pg 1.45 Avg goals pg 1.33 Avg goals against pg 1.44

P23 W5 D5 L13 F23 A38 GD -15 Avg pts pg 0.86 Avg goals pg 1.00 Avg goals against pg 1.65

Obviously there was less comparison because Stam was outperforming Clarke and McDermott during his first season and then football fans don't tend to be quite so retrospective. After that the comparisons would've been against the success of the previous season and why the second season wasn't working out so well. I don't think that's surprising either way is it?

I think there was plenty of comparison on playing style and entertainment though.

In relation to the stats, you probably need to compare Stam's second season with Clements season so far, to keep some degree of relevance, but I don't see why you're getting a little perplexed by the comparisons to be honest.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Oct 2018 16:10

i'm happy for him to have another month, but feels like he's on the brink, but the owners have shown patience before and will again imo.
think he will have at least till the intl. break.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Oct 2018 16:20

Hoop Blah
Denver Royal Thought of that, but don't recall this many comparisons to the previous manager when Stam was in his first season? At least, not with the same frequency. But anyway, assuming you are right and comparison's are fine and relevant:

Stam:

In relation to the stats, you probably need to compare Stam's 2nd season with Clements 1st season so far, to keep some degree of relevance

So the other thread 'Worst RFC manager statistically after 23 league games' doesn't have much relevance for you then?

When making comparisons, is an overall record more relevant, or is cherry-picking a segment of a particular season, be it the first 23 games, the last 23 games, or whatever?

Orion

by Orion » 29 Oct 2018 16:33

I don't think the first 23 stat is fair as he came into a mess. I would much rather use the stat that he's failed everywhere as a manager and I just don't think he has the intellect to do the job.

Waiting will hurt us imo.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Oct 2018 17:01

Denver Royal So the other thread 'Worst RFC manager statistically after 23 league games' doesn't have much relevance for you then?

When making comparisons, is an overall record more relevant, or is cherry-picking a segment of a particular season, be it the first 23 games, the last 23 games, or whatever?

It depends on the comparison you want to make.

If you're comparing Clements start with every other managers start then those 23 games is a great place to start.

If you're comparing what the current manager is getting out of the resources available to him currently, and in this era and in the clubs current situation, and then trying to gauge if his performance warrants the sack, then comparing to the last manager in the run that also got him the sack is a pretty relevant yardstick.

Either way, people like to compare in all walks of life so I think you just have to get used to that.

oggy

by oggy » 29 Oct 2018 17:07

this is my first comment as i have only joined, shoot me down but surely Stuart pearce could do a good job

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Oct 2018 17:14

Hoop Blah
Denver Royal So the other thread 'Worst RFC manager statistically after 23 league games' doesn't have much relevance for you then?

It depends on the comparison you want to make.

If you're comparing Clements start with every other managers start then those 23 games is a great place to start.

If you're comparing what the current manager is getting out of the resources available to him currently, and in this era and in the clubs current situation...

Which 'era' are you referring to and what, if anything, is different or unique about it with Clement?
As far as the club's 'current situation', Clement was going to be a 'massive upgrade' with player's that 'have talent', some think his summer signings were good, and quite a few predicted Top 10?
Has he fallen below your expectations thus far?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Oct 2018 17:35

Denver Royal Which 'era' are you referring to and what, if anything, is different or unique about it with Clement?
As far as the club's 'current situation', Clement was going to be a 'massive upgrade' with player's that 'have talent', some think his summer signings were good, and quite a few predicted Top 10?
Has he fallen below your expectations thus far?

Era? This ownership, senior management, run of seasons in the Championship. Call it where you want. For me it's essentially the post-Zingaravich era as since then the club has been in a general decline having lacked the excellent stewardship of Sir John.

I don't really buy into any hyperbole that suggests that the current crop of players (over the last 3 or 4 years) are any great talents I'm afraid. They're decent enough, but I don't see them ever doing much in this league, especially with the apparent lack of leadership from above.

Fan's predicting top 10, well that's just positive thinking IMO. Predicting where a side will finish in the Championship is a bit of a lottery and I'd guess a lot more where predicting relegation than they were play-offs or even top-10.

As for Clement, of course he's disappointed as any fan should hope that a new manager has a positive impact. Has he fallen below my expectations? Yeah, I'd say he has. He's improved the way we play but unfortunately results haven't followed and we're still pretty crap. As alluded to above, I think that it's the general state of malaise at the club that is having the biggest bearing on performance at the moment, but that doesn't give the manager a free ride.

None of that changes the fact that the most appropriate comparison for Clements performance is that of Stam last season.

880 posts