Total votes: 139
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Clement

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Nov 2018 08:28

Brain Traysers
NewCorkSeth
Brain Traysers
True - the point is our academy has been producing players who will likely play the majority of their careers at Championship or below level, which in itself is an achievement, but a long way behind Dembele (22 and playing in CL with Lyon) and Sessegnon (a top Championship player while 17), who are both very likely future internationals.

We have a decent crop of youngsters, but Jokanovic inherited a team with those two (having just sold Patrick Roberts to Man City), which in today's money is probably >£40m in talent.

But you have the benefit of hindsight with those players.. you don't know what our crop will be like in 4 years. Dembeles breakout season was 4 years into his Fulham stint.

Patrick Roberts isn't exactly living up to his touted potential either.

I think its a fair comparison, and comparable generations - Dembele and Roberts were in the Fulham team that always seemed to beat our most promising generation of youngsters (Fosu, Kelly, Fosu, Kuhl, Stacey, Watson all played against them in the FA youth cup final back in 2014). Dembele has gone onto big things, and Roberts is being nurtured by Man City, with 1.5 very good seasons at Celtic on his CV, and he is currently a bit part player at 8th placed La Liga team Girona - this is a much higher level than any of our bunch. Only Gylfi is playing at a comparable level and at Robert/Dembele's age he was in his final season with us playing Championship football.

Sessegnon ins't comparable with any of our lot, and until we get a 16 year old good enough to play first team football, he never will be.

The point stands - Jokanovic inherited two incredibly talented players for this level, and we (and every other club at this level) are unlikely to be able to do the same any time soon. I don't place too much weight on him bringing them through either - there has been a lot of hype over them for a number of years. Novakovich (already 22) and Loader (only 18) look the most likely, but neither are seemingly near the starting line up

I completely understand what you are saying but the point I didn't make clear enough was that we have seen the Fulham players succeed so of course they were successful.

There is no evidence that a different manager than Stam could have come in, promoted someone like Loader to the first team and seen a meteoric rise. We have had managers who slowly blood the players. Teams like Fulham and Leeds have more recently (and Norwich now I guess?) Promoted players straight up and seen the benefit.

To the point about championship level players only coming from our academy I think it's too early to say. Trippier went from released by Man City to being England's best player at the world cup. Would he have been the same level of player had they kept him? Probably not.

I'm a bit tired so I'm probably not making my points well at all.. It makes sense in my head..

Kane for another, was behind another youth striker at Tottenham. Sometimes you just need the right manager to identify who can be promoted.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 15 Nov 2018 09:37

I am still Clement in. Just about.

I do not think a single manager worth their salt would either come to us and would turn our players into something they are not.

At the end of the day, we are simply not good enough. Look at your top level championship teams and the players they brought in vs us getting a L2 Striker.

Come the end of the season I think we will just about survive. Clement then goes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Nov 2018 09:47

Did Roberts and Dembele even really play for him? Both left before they became ‘good’ - Dembele for free wasn’t it?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Nov 2018 13:03

Hound Did Roberts and Dembele even really play for him? Both left before they became ‘good’ - Dembele for free wasn’t it?

IIRC Dembele went for only £500,000 or so after not agreeing a new contract.
One of the bargains of recent years and we could all see that he would become a decent player.
BTW isn't there another Sessegnon on the fringes of their first team?

We can but hope that one day the millions spent on the Academy will bear fruit.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Nov 2018 13:12

Victor Meldrew
Hound Did Roberts and Dembele even really play for him? Both left before they became ‘good’ - Dembele for free wasn’t it?

One of the bargains of recent years and we could all see that he would become a decent player.

His twin brother..

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 15 Nov 2018 13:27

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Brain Traysers
True - the point is our academy has been producing players who will likely play the majority of their careers at Championship or below level, which in itself is an achievement, but a long way behind Dembele (22 and playing in CL with Lyon) and Sessegnon (a top Championship player while 17), who are both very likely future internationals.

We have a decent crop of youngsters, but Jokanovic inherited a team with those two (having just sold Patrick Roberts to Man City), which in today's money is probably >£40m in talent.

But you have the benefit of hindsight with those players.. you don't know what our crop will be like in 4 years. Dembeles breakout season was 4 years into his Fulham stint.

iirc Fulham's youth sides usually played us off the park. I watched a game with Roberts in and he was miles ahead of anyone we had. And he wasn't at the same level as Sess.

We've got a decent crop and Loader in particular looks good. But it's not in the same league.

They played us in a Semi final of the youth cup and had a very good team. Emerson Hyndman, Dembele and Roberts destroyed us.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 15 Nov 2018 13:40

Can we not negotiate some deal where we keep the benefits of Clement, but are also allowed to sign deals with new managers?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Nov 2018 13:46

Kulshaw72RFC
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth But you have the benefit of hindsight with those players.. you don't know what our crop will be like in 4 years. Dembeles breakout season was 4 years into his Fulham stint.

iirc Fulham's youth sides usually played us off the park. I watched a game with Roberts in and he was miles ahead of anyone we had. And he wasn't at the same level as Sess.

We've got a decent crop and Loader in particular looks good. But it's not in the same league.

They played us in a Semi final of the youth cup and had a very good team. Emerson Hyndman, Dembele and Roberts destroyed us.

The game ended 5-4.. seems we did alright with a man sent off.

Chelsea won that year according to my quick Google search.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 15 Nov 2018 14:27

NewCorkSeth
Kulshaw72RFC
Snowflake Royal iirc Fulham's youth sides usually played us off the park. I watched a game with Roberts in and he was miles ahead of anyone we had. And he wasn't at the same level as Sess.

Chelsea have won 7 , lost 2 and not been in it once since 2008

pretty insane. they have won 5 in a row. the last 4 they have won on aggregate 5,2 4-2, 6,2 and 7-1 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Nov 2018 15:00

Kulshaw72RFC
NewCorkSeth
Kulshaw72RFC

Chelsea have won 7 , lost 2 and not been in it once since 2008

pretty insane. they have won 5 in a row. the last 4 they have won on aggregate 5,2 4-2, 6,2 and 7-1 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bunch o' pricks.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 15 Nov 2018 18:01

I'm Clement in, slow steady improvement and i really believe this club needs continuity and needs to stick with Clement and give him at least two more windows to prove he has what it takes. Injuries have hampered the season so far most important being the Ezatolahi injury. The DM position is key to how we play and would really help shore up our leaky defense.
My only issue with Clement is the lack of trust in our youth system. I really believe that Loader should now be given time to a least see if he is up to the grade, and maybe Barrett should have been given a chance in the middle.
Maybe another worth a shout is Axel Andresson whom has just won a league winners medal with Viking, Yes, maybe the standard isn't up to Chump standard but again, a winning mentality and he looks to be a big guy and if Scandinavian defenders from the past are anything to go by he could end up a big bruising defender in the future which is exactly what we require a la Sonko in his prime.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2018 18:44

Victor Meldrew

We have received literally millions for its products and first team starts from players in their first two - three seasons after debuting is easily in triple figures.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Nov 2018 18:48

Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew

We have received literally millions for its products and first team starts from players in their first two - three seasons after debuting is easily in triple figures.

Cooper and Tshibola probably paid off a fair chunk? How much did McCarthy go for again?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2018 18:51

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew

Cooper and Tshibola probably paid off a fair chunk? How much did McCarthy go for again?

No idea, but big Hec went for about £4m and Gylfi £7m so you've got to be looking at £15 - 20 m. That's 5 - 10 years costs right there.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Nov 2018 18:58

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal We have received literally millions for its products and first team starts from players in their first two - three seasons after debuting is easily in triple figures.

No idea, but big Hec went for about £4m and Gylfi £7m so you've got to be looking at £15 - 20 m. That's 5 - 10 years costs right there.

I keep forgetting how much we fleeced off Chelsea for Hector.
Shane Long fee counts as well..... as long as you don't think about it too much...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2018 19:00

Not a chance does Long count. We signed him at about 18 and he was basically straight in the First Team squad.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Nov 2018 19:03

Snowflake Royal Not a chance does Long count. We signed him at about 18 and he was basically straight in the First Team squad.

I said don't think about it too much. Just think about him being a, technically, homegrown player.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2018 19:07

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Not a chance does Long count. We signed him at about 18 and he was basically straight in the First Team squad.

I said don't think about it too much. Just think about him being a, technically, homegrown player.

Not even if I was barely better than a persistent vegetative state.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Nov 2018 19:23

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Think you might have left the goal open with that comment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2018 19:50

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth I said don't think about it too much. Just think about him being a, technically, homegrown player.

Think you might have left the goal open with that comment.

And you've just skied the shot I teed up. :roll:

880 posts