Ian Royal
12%

Total votes: 139
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Clement

by paultheroyal » 20 Nov 2018 12:56

Hound to be honest, they cast the net quite wide already in the academy/Development squads, at least within the Greater Reading area (is that a thing?)

Pretty much every decent kid I've come across in my time coaching is already on the books in some way or another by the age of 8

Be interesting to know what they do slightly further afield

Pretty much this. So many scouts out there - word gets out if anyone is decent watching. Also the parent has a key role to play, putting him up with advanced football centres who often play matches against professional run teams etc. In general, the cream get identified.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Nov 2018 13:05

Victor Meldrew
Forbury Lion
sandman
Distinctly remember Glen Little saying at an "evening with" do that Doyle was fine and you could see he had something about him but Long could barely make a 5 yard pass in training when he first arrived.
Maybe McDermott was ahead of the game here then, Like British Athletics, they now search out potential athletes at schools/uni's and see what attributes they have and then match them up to any sports they should be good at...... Long presumably had the right attributes and just needed coaching/educating/toning etc to become the player he is.
This is what our academy should be doing - don't just focus on the lads who actually play football, Cast the net wider and find someone who maybe isn't even a fan of football but has the potential, then train them.

A relative of ours who is a keen young footballer was approached by Southampton and they converted him from an outfield player to a keeper solely based on the height of his parents-the dad is about 6ft 4 in and the mum about 5ft 7 in.
Up till then he had shown no interest in playing in goal.

For a while last year he travelled up to Reading from Southampton for coaching (as a keeper)-he enjoyed the sessions but because of the travelling he returned to Southampton and is now very much part of their set-up (despite our efforts to get him to carry on with Reading).
He is 11 years old.

Funnily enough also know Saints are switching from the Fraser Forster model to a more Pickford / De Gea. They plucked a kid out of their development centres, this one north of the county because they saw he was a good footballer but was not going to make it but spotted some goalkeeping credentials in a kick about at start of training. A good footballer turned keeper who is not that tall. He is now down at Staplewood. Facilities down there are quire incredible.

Orion

by Orion » 20 Nov 2018 14:05

If aything, this Gourlay business has saved Clement a little bit. We wont sack out manager and our CEO in the space of a week.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Nov 2018 15:00

Orion If aything, this Gourlay business has saved Clement a little bit. We wont sack out manager and our CEO in the space of a week.

After the last couple of games Clement is going to be safe until after Stoke at a minimum. Therefore this was the best time to part company with RG. Would presume a new CEO will be appointed in next couple of weeks and his first act may well be to replace the manager.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 20 Nov 2018 15:33

paultheroyal
Hound to be honest, they cast the net quite wide already in the academy/Development squads, at least within the Greater Reading area (is that a thing?)

Pretty much every decent kid I've come across in my time coaching is already on the books in some way or another by the age of 8

Pretty much this. So many scouts out there - word gets out if anyone is decent watching. Also the parent has a key role to play, putting him up with advanced football centres who often play matches against professional run teams etc. In general, the cream get identified.

Exactly,my lad is 6 and with his Sandhurst Town football and school football he also goes to a advanced football centre on a Thursday as a scout noted that even at 5/6 he held the ball well and played the ball out with a little more vision than others.I don't expect him to become Pro i just like the fact he goes some where at an early age where in a small group he gets a better insight into playing and improves his game.
His little mate went to one of the Chelsea regional academies and after 3 months was given the push at 6 yrs old

I run the U7's teams for Sandhurst and if you enter any of the tournaments around here you can guarantee they'll be a plethora of scouts there.Even at Under 6's we had a tournament where Chelsea,QPR,AFC Wimbledon,Brighton,Bournemouth,Reading and Aldershot were in attendance

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Nov 2018 12:23

With Martin O'Neill no longer the Ireland manager does he now become a manager that we would like?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 Nov 2018 12:27

Victor Meldrew With Martin O'Neill no longer the Ireland manager does he now become a manager that we would like?

Well, he'd certainly make people appreciate the excitement of a Jaap Stam game....

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Nov 2018 12:32

Victor Meldrew With Martin O'Neill no longer the Ireland manager does he now become a manager that we would like?

I reckon he will be waiting for a premier league sacking. Southampton maybe?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Nov 2018 12:34

muirinho

Well, he'd certainly make people appreciate the excitement of a Jaap Stam game....

Your comment is presumably based on how his (poor quality) Irish team has played of late rather than the up-and-at-em McDermott type style that he had at Leicester?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Nov 2018 12:36

Think he could do far better than us. He is someone the likes of Newcastle would bring in if Benitez goes.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Nov 2018 12:39

Old Man Andrews

Think he could do far better than us. He is someone the likes of Newcastle would bring in if Benitez goes.

I don't think so- I feel that he would be seen as a yesterday's man at the top level and probably not foreign enough.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Nov 2018 12:49

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews

I don't think so- I feel that he would be seen as a yesterday's man at the top level and probably not foreign enough.

I reckon he has a huge amount of contacts left at the top level and is still widely respected in the game. Teams like Newcastle, Southampton, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Palace would be foolish not to consider him if that have a change in manager.

Orion

by Orion » 21 Nov 2018 13:49

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews

He needs a break, then join a team at the end of. Aseasin, not half way through. Probably still premier quality - just.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 Nov 2018 14:18

Victor Meldrew
muirinho

Your comment is presumably based on how his (poor quality) Irish team has played of late rather than the up-and-at-em McDermott type style that he had at Leicester?

The standard of players in the Irish team probably is equivalent to or higher than the level of player he'd have here. So it's a very fair comparison.

And it's been dire.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Nov 2018 14:45

muirinho
Victor Meldrew
muirinho

The standard of players in the Irish team probably is equivalent to or higher than the level of player he'd have here. So it's a very fair comparison.

And it's been dire.

Uhm.. There a few players notably better than the standard here (Coleman, McCarthy, Brady) but most are about our level.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 Nov 2018 15:04

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
Victor Meldrew

And it's been dire.

Uhm.. There a few players notably better than the standard here (Coleman, McCarthy, Brady) but most are about our level.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here! The Irish football team has, in the main, been extremely painful to watch over the last while. If that's the best he can do with those players, then why would he be able to do any better with Reading's players? Victor seems to be claiming that Ireland were dire because of the players - by that reckoning Reading, would be worse.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Nov 2018 15:21

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
muirinho

And it's been dire.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here! The Irish football team has, in the main, been extremely painful to watch over the last while. If that's the best he can do with those players, then why would he be able to do any better with Reading's players? Victor seems to be claiming that Ireland were dire because of the players - by that reckoning Reading, would be worse.

I both agree and disagree. The team has been awful for sure. But could they have done that much better? I don't think so. The average player in the ireland team isn't that much better than a Reading player.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 Nov 2018 15:31

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
NewCorkSeth Uhm.. There a few players notably better than the standard here (Coleman, McCarthy, Brady) but most are about our level.

I both agree and disagree. The team has been awful for sure. But could they have done that much better? I don't think so. The average player in the ireland team isn't that much better than a Reading player.

N Ireland are better to watch with lower standard players.

Wales have fairly similar players and beat us on aggregate 5 -1

We had 5 shots on target and no goals over the last 4 games.

We have been harder to watch than Reading at their worst under Jaap Stam, while having players that are as good as, or better than, Reading's players.

So why on earth would anybody think MON would be a good manager at Reading?

He might be fine at a PL club, with better players than he has at his disposal than he has with Ireland - but that's not the question here.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Nov 2018 15:42

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
muirinho

N Ireland are better to watch with lower standard players.

Wales have fairly similar players and beat us on aggregate 5 -1

We had 5 shots on target and no goals over the last 4 games.

We have been harder to watch than Reading at their worst under Jaap Stam, while having players that are as good as, or better than, Reading's players.

So why on earth would anybody think MON would be a good manager at Reading?

He might be fine at a PL club, with better players than he has at his disposal than he has with Ireland - but that's not the question here.

Because I think comparing a manager at international level and championship level is tricky. The Ireland players are, for the most part, championship and low premier league level. (Yes that's the same for Wales and Northern Ireland.. Northern Ireland probably lower...) so it's not like he took over a stronger level team like Austria or Switzerland and made them crap. They were crap to begin with.

I thinks it's easy to forget the injury issues he faced and the lack of talent coming up. He showed how good a manager he can be at the start of his reign then faded after the euros. The benefit of Reading over Ireland is that reading has the ability to create squad depth. MON could do nothing about the lack of CBs or LBs or wingers. Reading has a lot more flexibility in that sense.

The manager I want to take over is Michael O'Neill. He has shown he can make a low quality team perform and that's the reality for us now. We're shite.

Anyway I don't think we could get him if we wanted him. He'll get a better job.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 21 Nov 2018 16:49

RFCMod
paultheroyal

Exactly,my lad is 6 and with his Sandhurst Town football and school football he also goes to a advanced football centre on a Thursday as a scout noted that even at 5/6 he held the ball well and played the ball out with a little more vision than others.I don't expect him to become Pro i just like the fact he goes some where at an early age where in a small group he gets a better insight into playing and improves his game.
His little mate went to one of the Chelsea regional academies and after 3 months was given the push at 6 yrs old

I run the U7's teams for Sandhurst and if you enter any of the tournaments around here you can guarantee they'll be a plethora of scouts there.Even at Under 6's we had a tournament where Chelsea,QPR,AFC Wimbledon,Brighton,Bournemouth,Reading and Aldershot were in attendance

how can a 6 year old be given the push? bit harsh that!

880 posts