Total votes: 139
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Clement

by Hound » 01 Dec 2018 18:56

Yep +1 in Ian’s post

We were an absolute abomination when he took over

We’re now integrating more academy players, scoring goals and showing fight

This season was always going to be a struggle. Seen enough to think we’ll climb to lower mid in the second half of the season and be far more dangerous next year. Get rid of some of the crap he inherited and give him a bit of time

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 Dec 2018 19:10

Snowflake Royal I think there's a lot to be pleased with. I come back to what Clement inherited:

A team with no fight, who couldn't create chances and put themselves under pressure by playing in their own half.

We now have fight.
We now create and score chances. We no longer play stupid tippy happy keep ball.

Yes, defensive frailties and midfield softness are still huge issues, if
possibly worse in the case of defence. But as I see it he's improved three of our five problem areas in one transfer window and despite an injury list longer than a whale's cock. I reckon he can do a bit about the other two in January and if we can ever keep key players like Ezatolahi, Bod and co fit.

And if we go down, well now we're seeing what potential we have in the Academy with Loader, Rino and co.

Agreed. And I think Clement is improving as a manager also. Those were good tactical substitutions today. The starting line-up was forced by illness and injury, so anybody criticising him because of that is being unfair.

I don't like that narrow defence he uses, as particularly on Swifts side (for obvious reasons) it leaves the freedom of the county. But it wasn't that which led to the goals.

Also much happier with him using academy players more, and integrating some that haven't played yet into the squad.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Dec 2018 19:17

I guess the question has to be asked (sorry if already discussed already but)

Was Aluko injured/poorly today, or is his time up with PC?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Dec 2018 20:11

34 page Rowett out thread on the Stoke city board, we aren`t unique.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Dec 2018 20:20

AthleticoSpizz I guess the question has to be asked (sorry if already discussed already but)

Don’t think PC mentioned him when talking about the ill/injured

To be honest if he isn’t in the squad today with the number of injuries we have, it’s pretty much time up

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Dec 2018 20:21

Knob-jockeys

What they need is another one of our players...

Sone Aluko is worth a £10m punt.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Dec 2018 20:22

Snowflake Royal I think there's a lot to be pleased with. I come back to what Clement inherited:

A team with no fight, who couldn't create chances and put themselves under pressure by playing in their own half.

We now have fight.
We now create and score chances. We no longer play stupid tippy happy keep ball.

Yes, defensive frailties and midfield softness are still huge issues, if
possibly worse in the case of defence. But as I see it he's improved three of our five problem areas in one transfer window and despite an injury list longer than a whale's cock. I reckon he can do a bit about the other two in January and if we can ever keep key players like Ezatolahi, Bod and co fit.

And if we go down, well now we're seeing what potential we have in the Academy with Loader, Rino and co.

Agree with some but not all of this. There is no doubt that we have the potential of a very good side if these frigging injuries cleared up. However there is still a lot wrong. We still play too much football in our own half with hospital passes a regular feature of our play. There is still a lack of movement and a painful inability to counter attack at pace.

Having said that Rinohmota looks like he is going to be a very good player for us and of course we have hope that Loader will be a bit special. Jaakkola and Meite have both come in and done really well too. So there is hope there but defensively we are all over the place. Time for a Moore/Blackett combo at centre back. I’m done with Ilori.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Dec 2018 20:25

I still think there's potential in Ilori, but as Moore's understudy. You want one cultured one physical... sadly our physical ones are slow and shit.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 02 Dec 2018 15:35

Snowflake Royal I still think there's potential in Ilori, but as Moore's understudy. You want one cultured one physical... sadly our physical ones are slow and shit.

Ilori, to me, is a player who thinks he's a lot better than he actually is. He strolls around the pitch looking like he believes he's Franco Baresi, controlling the world around him, unaware of how what he perceives as calmness is actually just sloppy play.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Dec 2018 15:49

tmesis
Snowflake Royal I still think there's potential in Ilori, but as Moore's understudy. You want one cultured one physical... sadly our physical ones are slow and shit.

Ilori, to me, is a player who thinks he's a lot better than he actually is. He strolls around the pitch looking like he believes he's Franco Baresi, controlling the world around him, unaware of how what he perceives as calmness is actually just sloppy play.

That’s where coaching comes in. I think he’s a decent defender but yes he’s too casual. One of the things that disappointed me with Stam was the lack defensive improvement individually and as a unit he brought for being a world class defender.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Dec 2018 16:02

leon
tmesis

That’s where coaching comes in. I think he’s a decent defender but yes he’s too casual. One of the things that disappointed me with Stam was the lack defensive improvement individually and as a unit he brought for being a world class defender.

Was delighted to see Bacuna giving him a bollocking for one of his casual donations of the ball to the opposition. (although Ilori may well have felt that Bacuna idn't entirely guilt-free of the same failing)

While on that subject - is Moore captain because it was part of the deal to keep him? Or because he's a good captain? Does it matter?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Dec 2018 12:22

I mentioned either in this topic or elsewhere how we have been running in tandem with Southampton.
A new manager came in just in time last season to have enough influence to keep the teams up.

This season both teams are very near the bottom of their divisions and ironically both teams got a 2-2 result at home on Saturday against upper middle opposition.

This morning Hughes has been sacked ergo...………...

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Dec 2018 14:08

Hound
AthleticoSpizz I guess the question has to be asked (sorry if already discussed already but)

To be honest if he isn’t in the squad today with the number of injuries we have, it’s pretty much time up

This is the burning question for me, too.

Since Clement has FINALLY given the chances to our youth so many have been clamouring for, for a year or more, I' m firmly in the camp that wants him to be given more time while progress continues, however slowly, and he grapples with a whale's penis sized in jury list (yes, just how big is that :| ).

What shakes this resolve to it's core is every time I see Aluko on the team sheet/bench.

Arguably our best chance of 3pts over the last 3 games was at Wigan where, in my view, he played the weakest team .

Was that the night he finally washed his hands of someone whose one Champagne moment has cost £7m or is the player destined to rise from his sick bed to take the place of others who have done more to deserve it?

While I'm of the view, in this very tight league, our better performances have shown that only further modest improvements and the return of key players would be required to see us climbing the table to relative safety, if we go down with a very promising bunch of youngsters who have the talent to make a swift return , I believe there's a fair chance the fan base would take on the chin.

On the other hand, if we are sinking without trace with the likes of Aluko and Gunter going through the motions watched by Richards, Sims and Loader , Clements days should be numbered in no more than weeks

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Dec 2018 14:39

Woodcote Royal
Hound

Since Clement has FINALLY given the chances to our youth so many have been clamouring for, for a year or more, I' m firmly in the camp that wants him to be given more time while progress continues, however slowly, and he grapples with a whale's penis sized in jury list (yes, just how big is that :| ).

What shakes this resolve to it's core is every time I see Aluko on the team sheet/bench.

Arguably our best chance of 3pts over the last 3 games was at Wigan where, in my view, he played the weakest team .

Was that the night he finally washed his hands of someone whose one Champagne moment has cost £7m or is the player destined to rise from his sick bed to take the place of others who have done more to deserve it?

While I'm of the view, in this very tight league, our better performances have shown that only further modest improvements and the return of key players would be required to see us climbing the table to relative safety, if we go down with a very promising bunch of youngsters who have the talent to make a swift return , I believe there's a fair chance the fan base would take on the chin.

On the other hand, if we are sinking without trace with the likes of Aluko and Gunter going through the motions watched by Richards, Sims and Loader , Clements days should be numbered in no more than weeks

Oi thief. An injury list as long as a Whales cock is MY simile.

:twisted:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Dec 2018 15:19

Woodcote Royal
Hound

Quoting Woodcote as above:-
]Just out of interest who do we think, out of the walking wounded, would be selected if everybody were available?.

In addition to Saturday's squad I can only think of Moore and Bod, although whether he would now get selected ahead of Meite is questionable.
Obita, who gets better the longer he is out, has been unavailable for so long that he can't really be considered.

It is good to see the youngsters getting a chance and I agree that the fans would be onside with the manager if we were to see something being built but I'm not convinced that Clement can be trusted when you look at the erratic team selections including the ridiculous amount of chances given to Aluko.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Dec 2018 16:46

Snowflake Royal
Woodcote Royal
Hound

Oi thief. An injury list as long as a Whales cock is MY simile.

:twisted:

I know, was hoping someone would come up with a "distance" for this analogy (but nevermind :roll: )

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Dec 2018 17:32

Victor Meldrew
Woodcote Royal

On the other hand, if we are sinking without trace with the likes of Aluko and Gunter going through the motions watched by Richards, Sims and Loader , Clements days should be numbered in no more than weeks.

Just out of interest who do we think, out of the walking wounded, would be selected if everybody were available?.

In addition to Saturday's squad I can only think of Moore and Bod, although whether he would now get selected ahead of Meite is questionable.
Obita, who gets better the longer he is out, has been unavailable for so long that he can't really be considered.

It is good to see the youngsters getting a chance and I agree that the fans would be onside with the manager if we were to see something being built but I'm not convinced that Clement can be trusted when you look at the erratic team selections including the ridiculous amount of chances given to Aluko.

Bod's return would be a major boost IMHO

Whether he and Meite played together or one was subbed for the other, they offer something completely different and both have the happy knack of finding the back of the net. Meite is also not fully fit and this is effecting his performance.

Ezatolahi arrived on the scene to rave reviewes and is now in danger of becoming yet another player who was supposed be sidelined for a few matches who disappears for months on end.

I hope the above doesn't apply to Richards as I'd sooner watch him learning his trade than "back pass" Gunter .

We could do worse than replacing those responsible for the rehabilitation of the walking wounded. Their success rate has been atrocious for longer than most of us can remember. Sort it out on your watch, please, Mr Howe.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2018 12:14

Interesting interview on JLows gig with Madejski.

This one caught my eye particularly:

If Gourlay interfered in team selection

"I can't say that for sure but if he had an office at the training ground then that says something."

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/ ... g-15502346

No names mentioned, but one that starts with 'Al' and ends in 'O' comes to mind

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Dec 2018 12:18

Hound Interesting interview on JLows gig with Madejski.

This one caught my eye particularly:

If Gourlay interfered in team selection

"I can't say that for sure but if he had an office at the training ground then that says something."

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/ ... g-15502346

No names mentioned, but one that starts with 'Al' and ends in 'O' comes to mind

Gourlay leaves and Aluko isn't in the squad. Definite link for me.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Dec 2018 18:19

Also support for Clement from SJM in the article. With Gourlay gone obviously feels he can let off his feelings. Most likely with the owners approval. Certainly feels a positive vibe coming through. A charm offensive. Hopefully our new owners will buy into the Reading "way". Perhaps the unfortunate loss of life at Leicester has awakened them to what really matters to football fans and the connection to the local community. Long term success is a partnership of many facets.

880 posts