12%
Ian Royal
12%

Total votes: 139
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Clement

by Hoop Blah » 04 Nov 2018 14:17

If Dyche is right, and that’s the way it goes, then I’m sure contracts and expectations will become aligned to it so that big payouts aren’t a consideration.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Nov 2018 14:29

Hoop Blah If Dyche is right, and that’s the way it goes, then I’m sure contracts and expectations will become aligned to it so that big payouts aren’t a consideration.

Good managers, like players can dictate their own terms. Market forces rule.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Nov 2018 14:45

The same people moaning about results now are also the same people that were moaning under Stam even when we won because the football wasn't great. Under the circumstances, Clement isn't doing a bad job, barring a couple of games, we're creating opportunities and scoring goals and as soon as Eza comes back, I think the defence will solidify. Sacking him will only put us back to square one, however I do still think a defeat next week will be the end of him

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Nov 2018 14:48

Lower West
Hoop Blah If Dyche is right, and that’s the way it goes, then I’m sure contracts and expectations will become aligned to it so that big payouts aren’t a consideration.

Good managers, like players can dictate their own terms. Market forces rule.

Dyche's comment was that managers would be looking for the short stints as well though. My thinking is that the contracts will reflect that so they won't be paying off the rest of a 3 year contract when they give them the elbow after 9 months.

Those shorter contracts might well be for more per year, and good managers will be able to demand more, but it will be over the shorter stints they've agreed on so it won't be uncosted pay offs.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Nov 2018 16:27

URZZZZ The same people moaning about results now are also the same people that were moaning under Stam even when we won because the football wasn't great. Under the circumstances, Clement isn't doing a bad job, barring a couple of games, we're creating opportunities and scoring goals and as soon as Eza comes back, I think the defence will solidify. Sacking him will only put us back to square one, however I do still think a defeat next week will be the end of him

Some of the goals we let in are shocking, but I'd rather score and concede, then never score. Bit more excitement.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 04 Nov 2018 23:11

muirinho
URZZZZ The same people moaning about results now are also the same people that were moaning under Stam even when we won because the football wasn't great. Under the circumstances, Clement isn't doing a bad job, barring a couple of games, we're creating opportunities and scoring goals and as soon as Eza comes back, I think the defence will solidify. Sacking him will only put us back to square one, however I do still think a defeat next week will be the end of him

Some of the goals we let in are shocking, but I'd rather score and concede, then never score. Bit more excitement.

And Clement fully understands the problems. And the problems are deficiencies in the overall squad as a result of poor past recruitment. We don't have enough good defensive midfielders who are aggressive. But Clement understands this and it is clear he is trying to solve it. We have to give him the chance with transfer windows to re-jig the squad and re-balance it.

He has done a great job so far.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 04 Nov 2018 23:16

Recently as well, Clement has dropped Tiago. There is no way Tiago would have ever got near to a Coppell first eleven. He is a lovely footballer and good on the ball. But he makes too many mistakes in key areas and isn't an aggressive all action defender.

First and foremost a centre back should be a top defender. After that if he can play a bit as well then that is good. Unfortunately Tiago is not proving to be a top drawer defender.

Again Clement showing good management. Understanding the problems and putting a proper defender at the back in O'Shea. I'm sure he has his eyes on a more long-term solution that he can act upon in January or over the summer if not possible in Jan. Clement is definitely the right man for Reading FC. In Clement I trust.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Nov 2018 23:20

muirinho

I admire Clement's desire to maintain an attacking formation. Be easy to play 5 at the back , 4 in midfield (no out and out wingers) and 1 up top. Playing for 1-0 wins and dour draws. If I recall Pardew adopted the same tactics when we had Upson on loan.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Nov 2018 23:21

Top Flight Recently as well, Clement has dropped Tiago. There is no way Tiago would have ever got near to a Coppell first eleven. He is a lovely footballer and good on the ball. But he makes too many mistakes in key areas and isn't an aggressive all action defender.

First and foremost a centre back should be a top defender. After that if he can play a bit as well then that is good. Unfortunately Tiago is not proving to be a top drawer defender.

Again Clement showing good management. Understanding the problems and putting a proper defender at the back in O'Shea. I'm sure he has his eyes on a more long-term solution that he can act upon in January or over the summer if not possible in Jan. Clement is definitely the right man for Reading FC. In Clement I trust.

Convert him into a defensive midfielder perhaps.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Nov 2018 00:56

Top Flight Recently as well, Clement has dropped Tiago. There is no way Tiago would have ever got near to a Coppell first eleven. He is a lovely footballer and good on the ball. But he makes too many mistakes in key areas and isn't an aggressive all action defender.

This is all bollocks. We’re third bottom you lunatic. Ilori is not the issue it’s a total lack of midfield cover for the defence. A situation Clement hasn’t fixed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Nov 2018 07:37

leon

This is all bollocks. We’re third bottom you lunatic. Ilori is not the issue it’s a total lack of midfield cover for the defence. A situation Clement hasn’t fixed.

He's clearly working on it though.

Signed Meyler and Ezatolahi and brought through Rinomhota. Playing harder workers upfront and wide where he can in Baldock, Meite and McCleary. Brought in O'Shea for experience and steel at the back.

This side could be decent if it can just shift the losing mentality and get used to winning games and playing well. At the moment we're still nervy and panic ridden, which other teams can sesnse and exploit.

I still think the mental side will see us down, but Clement is building foundations of improvement that are the way forward.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2018 07:52

Always thought Clement sees the basic issues pretty well. He can see Aluko is shite, McShane is a liability and our midfield is lightweight

He certainly tried to address the midfield issue with Meyler and Eza, and has been unfortunate with their form/injury

Agree the mentality is the main thing holding us back. Heads go down too quickly, we are too accepting of conceding goals.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Nov 2018 09:35

Lower West

Convert him into a defensive midfielder perhaps.

I'm not a fan of square pegs in round holes, but I was thinking the same as I read Top Flights post (which I largely agree with, at least in theory). Illori is just a little bit too pretty to be a Championship centre half, and not good enough to be in the Premier League where it might well suit his style a little more.

The squad is full of players that were gamble signings or players on the wane. Until that is addressed anyone is going to struggle to get consistent results out of them. There's still big doubts over Clement the manager vs Clement the coach, but this morning I think we should be sticking with him to see us through the clear out and rebuild.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2018 09:49

Tbf to Ilori though, we certainly don’t look any more reliable at the back with him out of the side

Thought O Shea looked decent enough saturday but is very much a short term option. Wouldn’t argue with him coming back in

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Nov 2018 10:46

I recall Clement bemoaning our two points from six games start

The Derby game was a killer start as we should have had three, got zip

But I thought I'd take a look at the 10 league games since that poor start

13 Points, 12th in the table on current 10-game form

13 points from ten games is the equivalent of a sixty-point season

It seems really hard to believe that we are playing mid-table quality, but the stats are clear. We are!

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.a ... e=england2

Last Four home games FIFTH IN THE TABLE!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2018 10:51

Yep was thinking that myself, that form hasn’t been too dreadful recently. Beat Ipswich and would be 9 points from 15 in this run of games, though 3 pretty easy hone games in that

On the other hand, lose to Ipswich and we’ll be in the bottom 3 with a very tough month of games to follow

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Nov 2018 11:23

Hound Tbf to Ilori though, we certainly don’t look any more reliable at the back with him out of the side

Thought O Shea looked decent enough saturday but is very much a short term option. Wouldn’t argue with him coming back in

McShane and O'Shea are both much of a muchness, and neither a satisfactory upgrade on Ilori really. It's just style and, in O'Shea's case, perhaps the impact he can have on those around him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Nov 2018 11:32

Hoop Blah
Hound Tbf to Ilori though, we certainly don’t look any more reliable at the back with him out of the side

McShane and O'Shea are both much of a muchness, and neither a satisfactory upgrade on Ilori really. It's just style and, in O'Shea's case, perhaps the impact he can have on those around him.

Really hope someone has the balls to press Clement on McShane. He clearly wasn't injured, McShane was being punished for something in my opinion. Maybe something happened in the aftermath of the Blackburn game?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2018 11:39

Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah

Really hope someone has the balls to press Clement on McShane. He clearly wasn't injured, McShane was being punished for something in my opinion. Maybe something happened in the aftermath of the Blackburn game?

Maybe. He isn’t injured now, think that was confirmed in last weeks press conference

That Blackburn performance was so horrific, I’m sure there was some fallout from that. Wouldn’t be surprised if he never appears for us again - reckon he’ll be shifted to a L1 club in jan

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Nov 2018 11:42

Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah

Something happened when he was at Hull I recall..

880 posts