Where have the hardcore gone? Culture loss.

158 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Where have the hardcore gone? Culture loss.

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Sep 2018 08:55

BR0B0T
leon So basically we’re saying supporting Reading is like being married. When you first met, you’d try and get up there every chance you got nowadays you’d rather watch it on the Internet.

depends on the LTRPAWI rate!

AE to TB crossover skillz in effect

Congrats Bro, you the man now dawg.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 Sep 2018 09:08

The detachment thing is real. There is little sense that the club is 'Reading's football team', more a football team that happens to play in Reading. And then only on the outskirts. I'm with Mags in not really knowing who owns the club. Outside of Chris Gunter, we don't have any players who define Reading's recent years, success or otherwise. It's a collection of players not good enough for the Premier League trying to get 'a team that happens to play in Reading' into the top division. That's so far removed from my first experiences of Reading at Elm Park - Parky sprinting out of the tunnel towards the South Bank, squeezing in at the back of the stand for the Forest game after missing my normal train, and watching Nicky Hammond leap around like a deranged salmon to keep Cardiff at bay in the FA Cup.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 05 Sep 2018 09:09

Old Man Andrews
BR0B0T
leon So basically we’re saying supporting Reading is like being married. When you first met, you’d try and get up there every chance you got nowadays you’d rather watch it on the Internet.

depends on the LTRPAWI rate!

AE to TB crossover skillz in effect

Congrats Bro, you the man now dawg.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

The thing that makes me (much) better than Newton is that I'm prepared to actually namecheck those giants

Shoutouts to Waxers and Brendy

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2018 14:01

Old Man Andrews
Coppells Lost Coat
Old Man Andrews I was having a think about this stuck in traffic yesterday. Why are the club not doing more offers on home games, especially the ones they know full well are going to be quiet? The Bolton one for example. They are doing NOTHING to incentivize people to turn up to the games they know will be a struggle to sell. Its a oxf*rd easy win lads, you make things cheaper or put on an offer the public cannot refuse then they turn up. Its so basic and an easy win and takes literally a little bit of social media advertising to do. Where is kids for a quid or a buy one get one free adult ticket? Yes the club lose out on a bit of ticket revenue but they will gain massively in terms of food and drink sales and they might just get a few new regular fans out of it.

This is what is worrying me about the club, there is nobody anywhere in it who knows what they are doing from a business or footballing level. That combined is why we are where we are. We are ridiculously short-sighted.

Probably to appease the people who have forked out for season tickets already. If they keep doing deals the incentive for a season ticket falls significantly.

They can easily work around that though. Give discounts on food and drink for season ticket holders etc. They have to be seen to be doing something for everyone though you're right. I am not saying offer ticket deals on every home game, just those they know are a hard sell. We have to start getting more people in through the door and pretty quickly.

I don't see how offering a free pint with every pie and £5 off your ticket price is going to entice anyone to come and watch shit boring losing football.

I don't think you could get an extra 2000 people through the gates more than once or twice if you gave the bloody tickets away right now.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Sep 2018 14:03

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Coppells Lost Coat

Probably to appease the people who have forked out for season tickets already. If they keep doing deals the incentive for a season ticket falls significantly.

They can easily work around that though. Give discounts on food and drink for season ticket holders etc. They have to be seen to be doing something for everyone though you're right. I am not saying offer ticket deals on every home game, just those they know are a hard sell. We have to start getting more people in through the door and pretty quickly.

I don't see how offering a free pint with every pie and £5 off your ticket price is going to entice anyone to come and watch shit boring losing football.

I don't think you could get an extra 2000 people through the gates more than once or twice if you gave the bloody tickets away right now.

You genuinely do not believe offering cheap tickets won't encourage people to come to watch live? Really? Go have a look at the Burton game last season.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Sep 2018 14:11

id defo consider going more often if they did that

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Sep 2018 14:17

Old Man Andrews You genuinely do not believe offering cheap tickets won't encourage people to come to watch live? Really? Go have a look at the Burton game last season.

I'd really rather not.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Sep 2018 14:19

Sutekh
Old Man Andrews You genuinely do not believe offering cheap tickets won't encourage people to come to watch live? Really? Go have a look at the Burton game last season.

I'd really rather not.

*Please go look at the attendance and interest for the Burton game last season but never, ever watch the game, speak about the actual game, think about the game or mention the scoreline.

Fixed myself.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2018 14:25

Maneki Neko

id defo consider going more often if they did that

I'll buy you pint to go with your pie every game if you come join me in the South. It's getting lonely.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Sep 2018 14:27

Are you coming on to Brendy?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Sep 2018 14:28

Trying to get Brendy drunk........

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2018 14:29

genome Are you coming on to Brendy?

Not on a first date.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Sep 2018 14:30

I said coming on to, not coming into

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Sep 2018 14:32

I think our players need to come out and talk to the media more.

That is part of the problem in terms of the detachment factor. We don't really know these players anymore. What makes them tick. What motivates them. What their interests are. Who they are as people. We knew Hahnemann (Mr Motor head, into heavy music), Shorey (Quiet and shy but always gave his all, Murty(bubbly personality), Sidwell(serious, utmost professional could hold his own and give out the banter, Harper (What a joker he was), Kitson (The intelligent one, deeper thinker, always had a different angle on things) We knew this team inside and out and felt attached to them.

Our current team. We don't know who the hell they are.

Why should the players not have to come out and answer for their poor performances? This is why they continue not to deliver on the pitch. It's because they have this media protection. It's nonsense. They should come on air and speak to the fans. Answer questions about their perfomances, their attitude etc. They will then make promises on air to the fans and then they will need to deliver in the next game so that they don't come across as a hypocrite. I think their performances will improve if they come out and chat to the radio.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Sep 2018 14:41

Top Flight I think our players need to come out and talk to the media more.

That is part of the problem in terms of the detachment factor. We don't really know these players anymore. What makes them tick. What motivates them. What their interests are. Who they are as people. We knew Hahnemann (Mr Motor head, into heavy music), Shorey (Quiet and shy but always gave his all, Murty(bubbly personality), Sidwell(serious, utmost professional could hold his own and give out the banter, Harper (What a joker he was), Kitson (The intelligent one, deeper thinker, always had a different angle on things) We knew this team inside and out and felt attached to them.

Why should the players not have to come out and answer for their poor performances? This is why they continue not to deliver on the pitch. It's because they have this media protection. It's nonsense. They should come on air and speak to the fans. Answer questions about their perfomances, their attitude etc. They will then make promises on air to the fans and then they will need to deliver in the next game so that they don't come across as a hypocrite. I think their performances will improve if they come out and chat to the radio.

What do you want them to say though? The club wouldn't allow them to do fan podcasts and that Royal Exchange thing was so desperately stage managed by the club it was pathetic. The players will continue to give their generic footballer thoughts after the game and say things like "we will go again" and "we have to pull together and get through it".

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Sep 2018 14:49

Old Man Andrews

What do you want them to say though? The club wouldn't allow them to do fan podcasts and that Royal Exchange thing was so desperately stage managed by the club it was pathetic. The players will continue to give their generic footballer thoughts after the game and say things like "we will go again" and "we have to pull together and get through it".

They should come out after a game and speak to Tim Dellor on Berks and give him interviews during the week. Just like Kitson used to. Just like Murty, Shorey, Harper, Doyler. They all used to come and speak to Dellor. Hahnemann would come out and talk and give regular interviews. These days everything is too stage managed and as a result you lose that attachment and connection with the fans. We want to see the real people.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Sep 2018 14:55

Top Flight
Old Man Andrews

They should come out after a game and speak to Tim Dellor on Berks and give him interviews during the week. Just like Kitson used to. Just like Murty, Shorey, Harper, Doyler. They all used to come and speak to Dellor. Hahnemann would come out and talk and give regular interviews. These days everything is too stage managed and as a result you lose that attachment and connection with the fans. We want to see the real people.

They came out and spoke because things were going well back then. We have a bunch of players who hide on the pitch and off of it which is why we are where we are. The club also are completely on a different planet when it comes to access to the players and what they can and can't say. Having been behind the scenes a fair amount at the club there is a really horrible little woman who kinda looks after the players and manages their interaction with supporters and possibly the media too. Everything they say or do is stage mananged and robotic. Shes normally there on matchdays too and the reason why the whole pre-match and half time experience is so bad.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Sep 2018 14:58

It's the club who are losing in the end by protecting the players from the media.

We don't feel connected to this group of players. Not like we felt so connected to Glenn Little, Harps and the rest. As the connection fades, people get less interested and the passion starts to die.

The players should come and talk straight after the match, while emotions are still running high. Come on air and rant about the referee, how he robbed us of the game. Come and defend your comrade for receiving stick after making a suicidal mistake that lead to a goal. Come and heap praise on the striker who banged in that last minute winner. Come on air and show your passion. Show us that you care. If the players don't care. We don't care anymore either.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2018 16:01

genome I said coming on to, not coming into

I know.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Sep 2018 16:17

Top Flight It's the club who are losing in the end by protecting the players from the media.

We don't feel connected to this group of players. Not like we felt so connected to Glenn Little, Harps and the rest. As the connection fades, people get less interested and the passion starts to die.

The players should come and talk straight after the match, while emotions are still running high. Come on air and rant about the referee, how he robbed us of the game. Come and defend your comrade for receiving stick after making a suicidal mistake that lead to a goal. Come and heap praise on the striker who banged in that last minute winner. Come on air and show your passion. Show us that you care. If the players don't care. We don't care anymore either.

they did this on twitter after last week and everyone moaned at them

158 posts