Madejski Out

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Madejski Out

by Forbury Lion » 04 Sep 2018 14:44

So.... those who, over the years voiced a desire for Sir John to step aside and let rich owners take over..... How's that worked out?

Anton came from a rich family... but had his pocket money stopped
The Thai's had loads of money and wanted to hang onto it/make more from the land
The Chinese are loaded but don't seem to have any interest in the management of the club

The rich get rich and stay rich for a reason, Sir John was our Jack Walker, he wasn't in it for the money as much as the plaudits... everyone else who has come since

I miss the Madejski way of doing things.

Old Man Andrews

Re: Madejski Out

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Sep 2018 14:48

Forbury Lion So.... those who, over the years voiced a desire for Sir John to step aside and let rich owners take over..... How's that worked out?

The Thai's had loads of money and wanted to hang onto it/make more from the land
The Chinese are loaded but don't seem to have any interest in the management of the club

The rich get rich and stay rich for a reason, Sir John was our Jack Walker, he wasn't in it for the money as much as the plaudits... everyone else who has come since

The Madejski way is unsustainable in modern football. Unless you'd like us to be a National League side??

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Sep 2018 15:07

Old Man Andrews
Forbury Lion So.... those who, over the years voiced a desire for Sir John to step aside and let rich owners take over..... How's that worked out?

The Madejski way is unsustainable in modern football. Unless you'd like us to be a National League side??
Long term maybe, but I can't help thinking the club would be in less of a mess now if Sir John was still in charge - on the downside, we would have likely missed out on winning the championship under McDermot and one terrible season in the premiership without Anton's short term cash injection but the ship would have been straightened and we would have kicked on.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Sep 2018 15:17

If sir John had just taken the risk and invested in our great 2006 side we could have been a Bournemouth or Brighton, instead he was scared of the huge costs of sustaining PL survival. I still don't believe all that TV money went out on wages, Bournemouth get crowds of 11.000 for Christ sake. it was a big chance missed and we went down in the 2nd season.
Of course nobody doubts the good he did for the club, but his choice of new owners was questionable to say the least.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Sep 2018 15:19

windermereROYAL If sir John had just taken the risk and invested in our great 2006 side we could have been a Bournemouth or Brighton, instead he was scared of the huge costs of sustaining PL survival. I still don't believe all that TV money went out on wages, Bournemouth get crowds of 11.000 for Christ sake. it was a big chance missed and we went down in the 2nd season.
Of course nobody doubts the good he did for the club, but his choice of new owners was questionable to say the least.

A Brighton? What exactly is that?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Sep 2018 15:20

windermereROYAL If sir John had just taken the risk and invested in our great 2006 side we could have been a Bournemouth or Brighton, instead he was scared of the huge costs of sustaining PL survival. I still don't believe all that TV money went out on wages, Bournemouth get crowds of 11.000 for Christ sake. it was a big chance missed and we went down in the 2nd season.

This is unfortunately the sad, sad reality of Reading FC. A crying shame.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Sep 2018 15:23

NewCorkSeth

Teams the have been on level playing field as us but now leaving us behind

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Sep 2018 15:24

Forbury Lion
Old Man Andrews

Long term maybe, but I can't help thinking the club would be in less of a mess now if Sir John was still in charge - on the downside, we would have likely missed out on winning the championship under McDermot and one terrible season in the premiership without Anton's short term cash injection but the ship would have been straightened and we would have kicked on.

this^^^
Last edited by Maneki Neko on 04 Sep 2018 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Sep 2018 15:26

windermereROYAL
NewCorkSeth

Teams the have been on level playing field as us but now leaving us behind

Bit soon to say that no? They're in their second season in the top flight and are easily still candidates for relegation.

Bournemouth yes, Palace yes, Burnley yes but Brighton? Some ways to go before we can say that I reckon.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Sep 2018 15:31

after morons bood him on his own pitch, and even bigger morons sung"where has all the money gone?"id imagine he probably thought, oxf*rd it, I'm not going to bankrupt myself for these ungrateful and brainless cretins.

he wasn't scared of the costs. he just couldn't afford them.

I still don't believe all that TV money went out on wages

its not a question of faith or belief. :|
its there for all to see in the accounts

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Sep 2018 15:36

RoyalBlue .

:?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Sep 2018 15:42

Yep, it was considered slanderous by some to say that at the time (or to even think it), but it's true, I think. Whether he could have afforded it is another matter, but it was clear that one way or another more investment was needed to keep us there.
Similar would be required if we went up now. The PL is what it is, and we don't get to set the rules. I'm not sure any club of our approx size who goes up totally embraces everything the PL embodies.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2018 15:45

Old Man Andrews

:lol: It was the only sustainable way. It might not have been enough to make us an established PL club, but it was plenty to keep us at the upper end of the Championship, as evidenced by the fact since we got promoted back to the second tier we never once finished below 9th until after he sold up. We've finished in the bottom 10 in almost half the seasons since.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2018 15:50

Denver Royal

Yep, it was considered slanderous by some to say that at the time (or to even think it), but it's true, I think. Whether he could have afforded it is another matter, but it was clear that one way or another more investment was needed to keep us there.
Similar would be required if we went up now. The PL is what it is, and we don't get to set the rules. I'm not sure any club of our approx size who goes up totally embraces everything the PL embodies.

We got promoted in 2005/06. We finished 8th in 2006/07. We got relegated in 2007/08. Now what was it that happened in around 2008? Oh that's right, the GEC where Madejski lost approximately half his fortune having sunk a lot of it into print media and developing real estate in the centre of Reading. Then Anton sodded off having got us into stupid debt and Madejski kept us afloat until someone else could save us, even though he couldn't really afford us anymore.

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 04 Sep 2018 16:40

Denver Royal

It wasn't considered slanderous at all. Sir John himself made absolutely no secret of the fact that he couldn't and wouldn't be able to fund premiership football to the extent needed. Although a wealthy individual, compared to the costs associated with established premiership clubs his fortune was modest.

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 04 Sep 2018 16:44

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

We got promoted in 2005/06. We finished 8th in 2006/07. We got relegated in 2007/08. Now what was it that happened in around 2008? Oh that's right, the GEC where Madejski lost approximately half his fortune having sunk a lot of it into print media and developing real estate in the centre of Reading. Then Anton sodded off having got us into stupid debt and Madejski kept us afloat until someone else could save us, even though he couldn't really afford us anymore.

Totally agree, I love the idea of encouraging someone else to gamble their money. Madjeski only real mistake (and I don't really think he had a choice at the time as he needed to get out due to the print company fiasco) was to believe that Anton was backed by his father.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Sep 2018 17:01

I won't have a bad word said about Sir John

under the tin

by under the tin » 04 Sep 2018 17:28

I recall an interview with Nicky Shorey about that era when he signed a new improved contract.
He said that "This club is going places" when asked about why he did.
SJM was always completely honest when interviewed at the time about his experience of life in the top flight, always stating that financially, the water was too deep for him, and the whole world knew that he was looking to sell out.
I think that this sent the wrong message to our best players, who came to the conclusion that the club had gone as far as it could under SJM's stewardship. Ambitious professionals, we all know the rest.
The subsequent publication of the accounts gave all of us a wake up call. I don't think any of us thought the player wageroll would grow so dramatically.
TBF Coppell did try to strengthen, and the names included 2 players who subsequently played internationally for England. We were just beaten to them by bigger, more attractive rival clubs.

IMHO the time to "throw the kitchen sink at it" was Brian's 2012 champions. That side needed strengthening anyway, but the following season after our relegation, and the one of Bournemouth's promotion was the year when the TV deal money went total batshit.
Had we managed to stay up, we would probably have won more in TV rights the following season than at any time in the club's history.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Sep 2018 17:41

Nomad_Royal I love the idea of encouraging someone else to gamble their money.

Yeah, the 'spending other people's money' thing. So as a fan, if we got promoted you wouldn't be hoping the Chinese made further investment in hopes of keeping us there?
(Just to be clear, if they weren't able to, I wouldn't blame them, just as I don't SJM, but one can still recognize the need, and hope it materializes...assuming our goal is to actually be in the PL).

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Sep 2018 17:59

windermereROYAL If sir John had just taken the risk and invested in our great 2006 side we could have been a Bournemouth or Brighton, instead he was scared of the huge costs of sustaining PL survival.

SJM's business empire suffered in the property downturn of 2007 and GFC of 2008. Bigger players started to buy into football clubs. What he invested into the club in total would barely buy you 3 premier league quality players now.

It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:49