Tevreden Out, Nani In

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Tevreden Out, Nani In

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Sep 2018 11:28

Armadillo Roadkill Reading fans: "Our recruitment has been terrible for two years now"

*man in charge of recruitment for two years is replaced*

Reading fans: "Everything's rotten, the club is falling apart, panic! panic!"

Yep and?

Whats your point?.....Not sure if your aware but last time we won a League match seems a lifetime away now, and Ive just checked the table and scanning down it and I cant see us.......oh yes there we are....right at the bottom with 0 wins for 2018/19.
So if people are in a panic, you can see why.
Are you suggesting we carry on, bury our heads in the sand and everything will but hunky dory?

bagman

by bagman » 13 Sep 2018 11:52

Nani worked with Duxburry (CEO) and Zola (Manager) at both West Ham and Watford. Maybe its all part of a masterplan !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Sep 2018 12:23

Ascotexgunner
Armadillo Roadkill Reading fans: "Our recruitment has been terrible for two years now"

Yep and?

Whats your point?.....Not sure if your aware but last time we won a League match seems a lifetime away now, and Ive just checked the table and scanning down it and I cant see us.......oh yes there we are....right at the bottom with 0 wins for 2018/19.
Are you suggesting we carry on, bury our heads in the sand and everything will but hunky dory?

its not quite true anyway. Don't think anyone thought recruitment in Year 1 was too bad - Beerens, Swift, Moore etc

It was last year's which was the issue, after Gourlay came in specifically. With BT allegedly being sidelined, I think you can see where the problem seems to be

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Sep 2018 12:33

Seems to be a lot of stressing going on here. BT sparked a few embers on his way out for sure but I don't blame him. As pointed out it's probably either A: an attempt to pass the blame or B: a way to oxf*rd over a guy he hated working with by whipping the fans (who had already noted the decline under RG) into a frenzy.

It is interesting the owners liked him. I wonder if he is good at his job or just one of those people who bosses like.

Ron isn't coming out looking golden is he? There were already murmurs of him being challenging to work with. Replacement seems ok I guess.. he should have some contacts in england. I know I say don't go back a lot but isn't Hammond available? Seems the obvious choice no?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Sep 2018 12:39

bagman Nani worked with Duxburry (CEO) and Zola (Manager) at both West Ham and Watford. Maybe its all part of a masterplan !

This is my main (hopefully unfounded) fear. A Watford supporting friend of mine immediately texted me to say that the next step would be Zola as manager and that he fears for us. I hope he's wrong...

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 13 Sep 2018 12:55

NewCorkSeth Ron isn't coming out looking golden is he? There were already murmurs of him being challenging to work with. Replacement seems ok I guess.. he should have some contacts in england. I know I say don't go back a lot but isn't Hammond available? Seems the obvious choice no?

To replace Gourlay?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2018 13:00

So, we clearly don't know the full ins and outs here but this is how I think things are at the club currently:

RG was brought in with at least one of his tasks to cut costs across the board, so that whatever cash we do have can be maximised for squad additions. This meant taking over some responsibility for transfers which overlapped with BTs role - the two had different views on recruitment which has muddied the waters of late i.e Sidoel is clearly a BT player, the rest of the summer signings suggest a more collaborative approach between PC and RG.

Staff are unhappy at the moment as job security is scarce and as some leave, those who need to be are being replaced, others not, Nani had been brought in as I can only assume that he is more in line with the current strategy behind the scenes. This should see a more coherent transfer policy rather than having two competing strategies.

All of this taking place is ending the "Dutch Revolution" so again some noses are out of joint. BT's choice of players for the club clash with what the current management want to do but it is cheaper for him to resign/shift across the group than fire him.

My feeling is that behind the scenes as more people come on board who buy into the strategy then things will appear more stable.

BT used his clearly good relationship with Charlie Watts to get a view out there which mainly shows a changing of the guard than anything else (attendances are linked to performances only, they improve, crowds improve).

Is RG the problem, I don't think so necessarily, he is clearly a catalyst for change on the business side, whether those changes will end up being beneficial we will have to wait and see, and may never actually know. We need to get the team right and at the moment that is the issue - in many ways, this change may help to improve that.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Sep 2018 13:20

Hound
Ascotexgunner

Yep and?

its not quite true anyway. Don't think anyone thought recruitment in Year 1 was too bad - Beerens, Swift, Moore etc

It was last year's which was the issue, after Gourlay came in specifically. With BT allegedly being sidelined, I think you can see where the problem seems to be

Thing is football is a results game Hound. I was more than happy with the signings in the first year. Beerens really was, for me, a player who could help make us more exciting and drive us onwards and upwards. Ive no idea why it didn't happen. You could see the talent, I would point the finger at Stam and the way we played personally. But we are where we are. Recruitment in the last 2 seasons hasn't been great and the players havnt performed. Can we blame BT? not 100% sure we can. Its a real grey area. I cant believe any of these players are as bad as they seem to be at times (Aluko included).....what is going on though? BT is the easy choice to point the finger. I hope we arnt gonna solely blame him for continuing this appalling season though because Im looking at two other people who to me are part of a much bigger issue.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 13 Sep 2018 13:49

Is BT leaving a big blow to the club?? I'm more concerned about the scouts and youth managers moving on than BT.
If Brian said he was leaving months ago but would stay on until a replacement has come in, I take it that means the club have waited for the replacement to come in and then recruit replacement staff that has left recently??
Gourlay by the looks of it has had to be ruthless and been told to come shake things up, save some money. Surely he hasn't come into a club he doesn't know and be prick off his own back?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Sep 2018 13:55

Uke
NewCorkSeth Ron isn't coming out looking golden is he? There were already murmurs of him being challenging to work with. Replacement seems ok I guess.. he should have some contacts in england. I know I say don't go back a lot but isn't Hammond available? Seems the obvious choice no?

To replace Gourlay?

BT. It's his old job and he knows the club like the back of his hand. Has contacts and a proven track record. Should have been (and could have been) the first call they made when BT said he can't work with Ron.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 13 Sep 2018 14:43

Coppells Lost Coat Is BT leaving a big blow to the club?? I'm more concerned about the scouts and youth managers moving on than BT.
If Brian said he was leaving months ago but would stay on until a replacement has come in, I take it that means the club have waited for the replacement to come in and then recruit replacement staff that has left recently??
Gourlay by the looks of it has had to be ruthless and been told to come shake things up, save some money. Surely he hasn't come into a club he doesn't know and be prick off his own back?

This is definitely possible, you don't "lose" your Director, your International Recruitment guy, your Marketing Team (all of them I believe), your Academy Manager - plus numerous coaches etc by accident.

If Gourlay is throwing his weight around, he's been given backing to do so.

I don't like the smell of this, and I don't like Gourlay.

But perhaps the owners felt that it wasn't the players who were complacent and accepting of mediocrity, but staff at all levels of the club.
As it didn't seem to make any difference really how many players or managers came and went. (Apart from one very lucky season).
So they deliberately brought in the heavies to go for root and branch reform

It is their club, after all. It's cost them millions.

And that's the problem in a nutshell. We feel it is our club. But the money we have put into it is miniscule in comparison to the amount tv deals, commercial agreements, and owners have put into it. Money talks. We've no more rights to ReadingFC now than paying a Sky Sports subscription allows you to control their live match picks.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 13 Sep 2018 15:12

Can't believe were losing our head of international recruitment.

Who will find gems like wieser, rakels and popa now??

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Sep 2018 15:22

I wouldn't have a major issue with the club cost cutting etc, if it wasn't spending a ridiculous amount on wages for about 10 experienced players who aren't even going to make the match day squad in the next 3 months

Surely the place to have started would have been to cut back the playing staff and used more academy players

I'm sure pretty much everyone who has left the club's wages combined don't come to as much as Aluko and Meyler's combined

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Sep 2018 17:39

It's all in transition. Mr Gourlay might actually be the solution the club needs in the long term and we're seeing the fall out from things starting to be resolved after a season or so looking to see how things were working and where things have to be changed to bring the overall management of the club into the current era.

Equally it might all be a complete and utter foul up all round and bad things are about to get worse.

We just aren't going to be completely sure for, quite probably, another 12 months or so. Just have to hope the results from playing side start coming together quickly so we can see some signs of tangible improvement.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2018 19:20

Someone certainly needs to take a hatchet to our costs... I'd have thought more on the playing side though, and whilst Gourlay's been here we've given out some oxf*rd stupid playing contracts.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 13 Sep 2018 19:26

RoyalBlue
El Diablo Ahh bless. All those poor employess at RFC , whove been given a kick up the ass by their Boss.

We've been drifting on & off the field for 5 years. About time someone came in and gave the place a shake.

Tevreden going is no loss.

Disagree. It wasn't that long ago that the majority of fans, rightly IMO, were speaking pretty highly of Tevreden. I think the truth is now surfacing and it's becoming increasingly evident that Gourlay is the main cause of our malaise. Charles Watts has a pretty good record as being a reliable source of info. I don't believe he writes/tweets things without checking they have some foundation.

Gourlay OUT!

Normally , in the world of Senior Management , you get judged on your results, and not whether the /staff/customers like you. He's not a player, he's there to get results , make good decisions , spend his budget wisely and grow the Brand.

Nobody on here knows the ins & outs of whats been going in behind the scenes - but as a Fan, since he's been here , our signings have been poor, and if rumour is to be believed on stupid money.

Gourlays brief is to come in and sort things out. Its clear that the Chinese arent happy with how the club had been run ( a succesion of ownership changes doesnt help) His breif will be get the budget under control, manage cash, sort out the Sales & Marketing, etc etc. When these type guys come in, they spend time at first assessing whats in front of them, and then, with the owners/shareholders backing, start putting into place changes. This takes time. This also means that 'underperforming' people/teams etc will be moved out , let go, etc.

Downside - well given his breif, within the walls of RFC he's not going to be popular with some, is he.

Its well known that Charles Watts had Tevredens mobile number. Infact I queried with Watts on one of his webchat Q&A things, before he left about the leadership within the Club. He backed BT. No surprises. Think he was wrong on that.

BT has been farmed out to gain more experience I think, at 'smaller' club. I'm not saying he's crap, I just think the job at Reading is too big for him right now.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 13 Sep 2018 21:45

[quote="Sutekh"]
Equally it might all be a complete and utter foul up all round

It's the Reading way

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Sep 2018 22:19

BT must have been on thin ice after Stam's underwhelming second year. Particularly as it must have been his influence that saw McD get sacked. The owners most likely accept that Clement needs time and a fair crack. Little point in churning managers. A period of stability is what's required. With a quality day to day management team in place.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Sep 2018 01:23

Lower West BT must have been on thin ice after Stam's underwhelming second year. Particularly as it must have been his influence that saw McD get sacked. The owners most likely accept that Clement needs time and a fair crack. Little point in churning managers.

You keep saying that, but you are fine with ‘churning managers’ if you don’t happen to like/rate them? Churn em if it suits you.
Last season was a mare, coming off 3rd place. Who deserves a ‘fair crack’? The more experienced Clement is coming off nothing, yet ‘Keep Clement, come what may, whatever the outcome, that’s fine by me’. You advocate logic and long term strategy, save for happenstance of your own particular personal preference for that particular bloke at any given time. If we ever hired Warnock/Pulis (unlikely) would you say same? You’d agree their credentials tower over Clement. And, you couldn’t get much more organic growth than Stam was.
Not sure what ice BT was on last season, since we finished 17th/19th years prior (which, you rarely mention).
Sounds to me like BT left (as many have done) because of Gourlay? Sooo, Gourlay better be da man, and have things right. If he doesn’t, we’re up the creek without a paddle. Or maybe, he’s just a hatchet man, doing a job,. And, he’d get one again.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 14 Sep 2018 02:32

Denver Royal
Lower West BT must have been on thin ice after Stam's underwhelming second year. Particularly as it must have been his influence that saw McD get sacked. The owners most likely accept that Clement needs time and a fair crack. Little point in churning managers.

You say that, but you are fine with ‘churning managers’ if you don’t happen to like/rate them? Churn em if it suits you.
Last season was a mare, coming off 3rd place. Who deserves a ‘fair crack’? The more experienced Clement is coming off nothing, yet ‘Keep Clement, come what may, whatever the outcome, that’s fine by me’. You advocate logic and long term strategy, save for happenstance of your own particular personal preference for that particular bloke at any given time. If we ever hired Warnock/Pulis would you say same? You couldn’t get much more organic than Stam was.
Not sure what ice BT was on last season, since we finished 17th/19th years prior (which, you rarely mention).
Sounds to me like BT left (as many have done) because of Gourlay? Sooo, Gourlay better be da man, and have things right. If he doesn’t, we’re up the creek without a paddle. Or maybe, he’s just a hatchet man, doing a job,. And, he’d get one again.

I'd like to see someone take a hatchett to our medical team that can seemingly never get a player fit once they are injured. That has cost us dear in the last year or so..