MATCHWATCH : Hull City (h) sponsored by a distinct lack of Saturday home wins

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Hull City (h) sponsored by a distinct lack of Saturday home wins

by Sutekh » 20 Sep 2018 09:43

When : Saturday 22nd September, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

It’s a Saturday, Reading are at home so is there even any point in turning up? If Reading players aren’t going to do Saturday league home games then should the Reading public do them either? Bound to be other games at Maidenhead, Slough, Bracknell etc. available that will offer up the chance of a home win and probably entertainment as well.

But of course we will. The hardcore of support will always turn out for the home games even if it means yet another depressing miserable performance to endure.

If you were to trace back through history and all the days of Elm Park I find it hard to believe anything would come near to the current utterly appalling run for Saturday league home games (I now expect Strap to come up with the fact it’s been eclipsed on at least 3 or 4 previous occasions).

The record is that since the end of April 2017 Reading have played 18 league games at home on a Saturday and managed ONE solitary win - and that arrived almost year to the day after the previous Saturday home win had turned up. Of the other 17 games played in that run Reading have managed 6 draws and 11 defeats. So that means the club have racked up an amazing total of 9 points from a possible 54.

In that run Reading have scored 14 goals and conceded 30 and the best run of results they’ve had is a whole 4 games without defeat (3-3 v Derby, 2-2 v Leeds, 1-0 v Preston and 2-2 v Sunderland).

And to aid it all Reading are now on a run of 5 successive home league defeats (anyone know what is the worst record of successive home league defeats for Reading?) and in these games have scored 3 and conceded 11.

Now these sorts of runs are there to be broken and one day this one must be put to death, so please can it start this weekend as I really don’t want to have to wait until April 2019 for the next one.

So, up for the chance to start the ball roiling is Hull City, managed by one time Royals favourite Nigel Adkins. Hull complete a triumvirate of sides not having a particularly bright start to the season so the chance of 3 points on a Saturday is, in reality, about as good a chance as you’re ever going to get at this level.

Dan Batty is a doubt for Hull with a knee injury while Mr Adkins will have a selection dilemma over whether to persist with former Reading loanee Chris Martin or opt for a Nouha Dicko or Frazier Campbell. Tommy Elphick is also expected to play in defence for Hull as he continues his loan spell from Aston Villa.

Reading have Obita and Edwards out for another month or so at least but McCleary and Harriott might be able to make the bench soon. Sadly neither Gunter nor Aluko are suspended or injured.

Referee

The expected referee for this one is Jeremy Simpson

Previously

21 Apr 2018 > Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 Reading
14 Oct 2017 > Leeds United 0-1 Reading
31 Jan 2017 > Birmingham City 0-1 Reading
17 Dec 2016 > Blackburn Rovers 2-3 Reading
09 Sep 2016 > Reading 2-1 Ipswich Town (managed to book 9 players)
16 Apr 2016 > Leeds United 3-2 Reading
09 Jan 2016 > Huddersfield Town 2-2 Reading (FA Cup 3)
20 Oct 2015 > Rotherham United 1-1 Reading

Historically

There have been 24 previous league games in Reading against Hull City and it's not an especially good record either with 9 Reading wins compared to Hull's 7. On top of that Reading's recent run at home to Hull is completely pathetic with just one win and four draws to show from the last 8 attempts. Defeats tend to be close affairs with just one goal deciding it (6 of Hull's wins have been by just 1 goal) while 8 of Reading's wins have been by at least a 2 goal margin. There has only been one 0-0 in those previous 24 games.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Hull City (h) sponsored by a distinct lack of Saturday home wins

by Hound » 20 Sep 2018 09:56

If we can’t beat Hull at home we seriously should just give up and plan for Div1 next season

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Hull City (h) sponsored by a distinct lack of Saturday home wins

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Sep 2018 10:07

Anyone else noticed that David Coote hasn't refereed us yet? Definitely could be a reason for our lack of success.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Sep 2018 16:36

-------------------Walker
Yiadom---Moore---Ilori---Richards
-------Iranian Guy---Bacuna
Sims--------------Swift-----------Barrow
---------------------Bod

Mannone
Gunter
O'Shea
Kelly
Meite
Baldock
Loader

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2018 16:45

NewCorkSeth -------------------Walker
---------------------Bod

Mannone
Gunter
O'Shea
Kelly
Meite
Baldock
Loader

Yeah, though harsh on McNulty

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Sep 2018 16:46

Hound If we can’t beat Hull at home we seriously should just give up and plan for Div1 next season

They've got some decent players to be fair. I wouldn't be that harsh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2018 17:03

John Smith
Hound If we can’t beat Hull at home we seriously should just give up and plan for Div1 next season

They've got some decent players to be fair. I wouldn't be that harsh.

They’ve got Chris Martin

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Sep 2018 17:15

And Tommy Elphick.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Sep 2018 17:24

---------------------Bod

Mannone
Gunter
O'Shea
Kelly
Meite
Baldock
Loader

Yep exactly the team I would go with and I would have Loader on the bench too.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Sep 2018 17:37

On Saturday first and foremost I want to see this lot come out of the traps fast and put Hull under pressure and get the supporters behind them.
Inexcusable to start like we did last night against a team that hadn’t won away in the League since January.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Sep 2018 18:01

Zip On Saturday first and foremost I want to see this lot come out of the traps fast and put Hull under pressure and get the supporters behind them.
Inexcusable to start like we did last night against a team that hadn’t won away in the League since January.

And when we don't and we then lose I'm sure Clement will come on the radio and be very cross. Very cross.

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 20 Sep 2018 22:12

---------------------Bod

Mannone
Gunter
O'Shea
Kelly
Meite
Baldock
Loader

+1 I'm predicting we'll completly dominate Hull and win 3-1, you heard it hear first.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 21 Sep 2018 08:52

Might get a clue to tomorrow`s possible team tonight, as the U 23`s are playing West Brom at Wycombe Wanderers KO 7pm. I`m sure Gunter and Aluko as over age players would be a great addition to the youngsters squad !!!!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2018 08:56

Royals and Racers Might get a clue to tomorrow`s possible team tonight, as the U 23`s are playing West Brom at Wycombe Wanderers KO 7pm. I`m sure Gunter and Aluko as over age players would be a great addition to the youngsters squad !!!!

Wouldn't want them two anywhere near the youngsters to be honest.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Sep 2018 09:00

leon
Zip On Saturday first and foremost I want to see this lot come out of the traps fast and put Hull under pressure and get the supporters behind them.

And when we don't and we then lose I'm sure Clement will come on the radio and be very cross. Very cross.

Don't know why but I read this is in Steve Coogans impression of Michael Caine.

But yeah. That's for sure what's going to happen.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 21 Sep 2018 15:17

we will finally win 2-0/2-1

Hopeful

by Hopeful » 21 Sep 2018 15:55

Zip
-------Ezatolahi------Kelly
---------------------Bod

Mannone
Gunter
O'Shea
Bacuna
Meite
Baldock
Loader

Yep exactly the team I would go with and I would have Loader on the bench too.

Similar for me, but I'd swap Kelly for Bacuna. I might be the only one on here who rates/likes Kelly, and think Ezatolahi has been brought in to play the Meyler/Bacuna/Leigertwood role.

After all the combinations we have tried in the locker, above must be our best 11 to face Hull. If we lose with this squad, I think that's it. The end.

For good order and as courtesy, I have amended 'Iranian Guy' to Ezatolahi. Hopefully (afterall I am Hopeful) we will be singing his name loud and proud Saturday..

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Sep 2018 19:45

Loader starting for the U23s tonight but no Rinomhota. May be a clue that Rinomhota will be in the squad tomorrow - hope so

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Sep 2018 19:57

Hound Loader starting for the U23s tonight but no Rinomhota. May be a clue that Rinomhota will be in the squad tomorrow - hope so

I'd focus on McCleary tbh - though he might just be injured!

Loader probably isn't what we need right now. Novakovich is, but...

McIntyre is the one I think we might benefit from playing - he has some experience at left back, which would allow us to shift Yiadom over and give us some better balance. But Richards is a better option.

I do find it odd that our fan base seems to simultaneously hate Liam Kelly and want us to play more young players. There is nobody close to Kelly in the U23s.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 22 Sep 2018 00:37

thanks