BFTG , Hull.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG , Hull.

by Snowball » 23 Sep 2018 11:36

Ascotexgunner
LightwaterRoyal Paul Clement - 10. Ballsy team selection. Paid off for him. Finally a manager that has enough about him to drop poor performers.

And if he hadn't been "ballsy" I suspect he would have been looking for another job tomorrow morning.
It's a bit sad we have to suffer an infinite amount of losses, plummeting attendances and be at the wrong end of the table to get this reaction from him. But hey if we start picking up points he may yet survive his first ever full season at a club......but there is a bloody long way to go.

Yeah but.

Think from a player's POV or Clement.

Easy to say we should have beaten Derby. Most fans did.
Played well at Forest, could easily have got a result.

So continue as you are...

Then we win against Birmingham in the Carabao. See we were right!

We lose to Bolton 0-1 through a combo of lovely lifted through ball and individual mistakes. "One of those things"

We go to Blackburn, a tough trip, go 0-2 u. See we were right, we're OK
but the McShane manages to give away two penalties...

Tough trip to Villa, not a lot of possession but we follow 2-2 away with 1-1 away. "Not a lot wrong"

We're outclassed by Watford in the cup, but that's hardly surprising. They were very good.

Then we win at Preston. More evidence of "We're OK"

IMO the only "bad" result 1-2 was Norwich where we just didn't compete for the first 30 minutes.

Arguably the system was OK, the team was OK but had a losing habit, and individuals were passing sideways/back to avoid risks.

I suspect there were other issues (perhaps Aluko OFF the pitch?) and the negativity/safety of Gunter, and their being dropped made a difference, as did playing Ezi in front of the back four, bringing back Bod, and having Sims wide, but our GD shows us, that despite those home defeats we were genuinely close to decent results in every game except Watford.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Sep 2018 11:48

MOre weird comments .

Walker was ‘let off’ by the linesman ?

One of their ‘disallowed’ goals was tapped in after not only the Lino had flagged but the ref has blown his whistle and was pointing to where the kick was to be taken. If a player puts the ball in the net either illegally of after play has already been stopped it’s Not a ‘let off’.

If claiming ‘disallowed’ goals are of any relevance I’d point out that we hit the post twice in one move against Norwich suggesting that morally we won the game !

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Sep 2018 12:03

Snowball
Ascotexgunner
LightwaterRoyal Paul Clement - 10. Ballsy team selection. Paid off for him. Finally a manager that has enough about him to drop poor performers.

And if he hadn't been "ballsy" I suspect he would have been looking for another job tomorrow morning.
It's a bit sad we have to suffer an infinite amount of losses, plummeting attendances and be at the wrong end of the table to get this reaction from him. But hey if we start picking up points he may yet survive his first ever full season at a club......but there is a bloody long way to go.

Yeah but.

We lose to Bolton 0-1 through a combo of lovely lifted through ball and individual mistakes. "One of those things"

Tough trip to Villa, not a lot of possession but we follow 2-2 away with 1-1 away. "Not a lot wrong"

We're outclassed by Watford in the cup, but that's hardly surprising. They were very good.

IMO the only "bad" result 1-2 was Norwich where we just didn't compete for the first 30 minutes.

Arguably the system was OK, the team was OK but had a losing habit, and individuals were passing sideways/back to avoid risks.

I suspect there were other issues (perhaps Aluko OFF the pitch?) and the negativity/safety of Gunter, and their being dropped made a difference, as did playing Ezi in front of the back four, bringing back Bod, and having Sims wide, but our GD shows us, that despite those home defeats we were genuinely close to decent results in every game except Watford.

The other view would be.

We’ve played absolutely appallingly against Bolton and Norwich, managed to throw away points including Blackburn and Derby while consistent poor performers have been rewarded with selection at the expense of others.

We’ll see. What was interesting about yesterday was the attitude. We were by no means world beaters but the team played with tempo and effort. Baldocks running around actually came to something because he had Bod and Sims pressing as well.

And guess what? The atmosphere improved dramatically. The crowd got behind the team.

It’s really not complicated is it?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Sep 2018 12:07

leon
Snowball
Ascotexgunner

Yeah but.

The other view would be.

We’ve played absolutely appallingly against Bolton and Norwich, managed to throw away points including Blackburn and Derby while consistent poor performers have been rewarded with selection at the expense of others.

We’ll see. What was interesting about yesterday was the attitude. We were by no means world beaters but the team played with tempo and effort. Baldocks running around actually came to something because he had Bod and Sims pressing as well.

And guess what? The atmosphere improved dramatically. The crowd got behind the team.

It’s really not complicated is it?

I wasn't arguing THAT case, just making the point that we were't getting honked anywhere. Our GD after seven games was -4 so it would be easy to that things weren't that bad. Hell our away form was/is excellent. I meant it would be easy (for Clement) to argue it was just a mental thing at home and the players just needed one good win to make everything better.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Sep 2018 13:02

Good stuff from my POV. Played with an intensity that’s been missing thus far. Very happy to see Sims start at last and the shah looks like he has something about him. Throw in the experienced head of O’Shea not really putting a foot wrong* and it’s all good.

Not sure why people are using Hull being shit as some sort of stick to beat us with, Norwich were bobbins too and that didn’t do us any good. Still, LOLz @ Atkins, what a chump.

*I'm sure some would say his final action disproves this but for me that was what pundits call a good red card to take, not least b3cause his suspension next Saturday is for a game I doubt he would have started anyway.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2018 14:08

Snowball
Ascotexgunner

Yeah but.

You forgot Wednesday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2018 14:14

Silver Fox Good stuff from my POV. Played with an intensity that’s been missing thus far. Very happy to see Sims start at last and the shah looks like he has something about him. Throw in the experienced head of O’Shea not really putting a foot wrong* and it’s all good.

Not sure why people are using Hull being shit as some sort of stick to beat us with, Norwich were bobbins too and that didn’t do us any good. Still, LOLz @ Atkins, what a chump.

*I'm sure some would say his final action disproves this but for me that was what pundits call a good red card to take, not least b3cause his suspension next Saturday is for a game I doubt he would have started anyway.

Have we played anyone who isn't shit yet? Every team I've seen against us so far has been turd. That's Derby, Bolton, Wednesday, Hull and Preston

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 23 Sep 2018 16:20

Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox Good stuff from my POV. Played with an intensity that’s been missing thus far. Very happy to see Sims start at last and the shah looks like he has something about him. Throw in the experienced head of O’Shea not really putting a foot wrong* and it’s all good.

Have we played anyone who isn't shit yet? Every team I've seen against us so far has been turd. That's Derby, Bolton, Wednesday, Hull and Preston

I thought Norwich were good, and Watford reserves just looked like they were playing a different sport to us...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2018 16:22

Linden Jones' Tash
Snowflake Royal

I thought Norwich were good, and Watford reserves just looked like they were playing a different sport to us...

Got a pal who supports Norwich and they are considered pretty far from good. Don't count Watford, not our league so don't care.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Sep 2018 16:40

I thought Sheffield Wed were decent. Missed the Derby game. Norwich good in the first half but absolutely there for the taking in the second period.Bolton limited and Hull poor.

The players showed yesterday that the squad has been under-achieving. Yesterday they proved that. It was by no means perfect but in the end we were a good deal better than Hull.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Sep 2018 16:45

I thought Norwich were comfortably the best team to come to the Mad Stad this season. While we probably made them look better than they are, their movement off the ball was pretty decent and they all looked pretty comfortable on the ball, even their huge No 6 centre back

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Sep 2018 17:09

Ascotexgunner

Before yesterday 4 wins in 35 championship games. Another job, no chance. The problems lie far deeper than the manager alone.

Yesterday was pleasing as there were a fair number of positives. So so different to the turgid lacklustre team who turned out at Sheff Weds in the FA Cup in January. Stam's philosophy of ball retention appears to have destroyed the players confidence to be adventurous. Good to see Kelly try Hollywood passes. Rather than another 10 yard sideway pass. The shackles do seem to be coming off.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Sep 2018 18:48

Watching Ilori yesterday you could see why Liverpool got him as a youngster-with them it was thought that he tended to overplay and lacked a bit of bite but I hope that Clement now realises that he is one of our better players and (unlike his view a few weeks ago) a far better player than McShane.
O'Shea had a decent game with so little to do and he has always been good in the air from the time I saw him as a 17 year-old on loan at Bournemouth -on the ground now not so good.
The effect of his sending-off presumably means Gunter coming back in and Ilori moving back to the middle so we haven't seen the end of Gunter yet.

Yesterday I thought Clement gambled everything and there was no time for this formation to be practised-it just shows that if you can play, you can play as witnessed with the Iranian and Sims.
A very enjoyable game with the commitment levels that have been missing for so long and there was not a passenger in sight.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Sep 2018 18:53

Victor Meldrew Watching Ilori yesterday you could see why Liverpool got him as a youngster-with them it was thought that he tended to overplay and lacked a bit of bite but I hope that Clement now realises that he is one of our better players and (unlike his view a few weeks ago) a far better player than McShane.
O'Shea had a decent game with so little to do and he has always been good in the air from the time I saw him as a 17 year-old on loan at Bournemouth -on the ground now not so good.
The effect of his sending-off presumably means Gunter coming back in and Ilori moving back to the middle so we haven't seen the end of Gunter yet.

Yesterday I thought Clement gambled everything and there was no time for this formation to be practised-it just shows that if you can play, you can play as witnessed with the Iranian and Sims.
A very enjoyable game with the commitment levels that have been missing for so long and there was not a passenger in sight.

The question is why did it take until yesterday to see that level of commitment. It should be there every week.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2018 19:45

Zip
Victor Meldrew Watching Ilori yesterday you could see why Liverpool got him as a youngster-with them it was thought that he tended to overplay and lacked a bit of bite but I hope that Clement now realises that he is one of our better players and (unlike his view a few weeks ago) a far better player than McShane.

The question is why did it take until yesterday to see that level of commitment. It should be there every week.

It's just the wrong make up of player. Bacuna has been shackled by the lack of Ezatohali, Aluko sucks the life out of things and Gunter is ever Mr slightly over-cautious. Bod, Baldock, Sims and Ezatoholi, plus Bacuna's shackles released gives Kelly far more passing options and ups our tempo, making everything better.

Aluko really must never play again, same for Meyler unless he can play very differently in future. Gunter's always ok with players around him who will do things - so his career isn't done... but he shouldn't be first choice, assuming we can get Blackett or Obita fit.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Sep 2018 20:37

Victor Meldrew O'Shea had a decent game with so little to do and he has always been good in the air from the time I saw him as a 17 year-old on loan at Bournemouth -on the ground now not so good.

O'Shea went from someone who could meg Figo to someone I was just delighted with if he could just find another United player...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2018 20:57

Aluko clearly has been a major problem with this side and agree id be delighted if he never gets another minute in a Reading shirt

We need a bit of cover on the wings - not sure pressing is really McCleary’s game but he is disciplined. Harriott could do a job if he ever does get fit

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 23 Sep 2018 20:59

Snowflake Royal
hughsies no.1 Summary:
- What a relief to get a home win
- Yiadom again impressive, Can’t wait to see him in his natural position with Obita at LB
- Kelly and Bacuna both turned up, impressed with both
- Why didn’t Barrow start, our most dangerous player, something going on there?
- Sims 10x the player Aluko is
- New lad in the middle needs time in u23s to adapt, I don’t think he had a good game at all (despite others thinking he did), looked slow on the ball, poor passing, caught out a few times. Didn’t offer anymore than Meyler
- O’Shea made a big difference, calm and effective, definitely a blow him being banned now
- The booing of Gunter coming on was pathetic, very poor to see / hear
- Jon Dadi just keeps scoring goals, turning into a real fans favourite
- Bring on Brentford (a)

Hang on! People booed Gunter on? No wonder he didn't look happy to see a Reading shirt after the game. oxf*rd outrageous behaviour.

I don't rate the guy but he doesn't deserve booing, especially coming on as an emergency sub. He's never given less than total commitment to us.

Dont remember any booing when he came on

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2018 21:11

Wasn’t booing as such but there were definitely a few grumbles

Tbh after that performance on Wednesday I don’t think a little reminder of how the fans perceived it is that a bad a thing really. I’m sure he did realise being dropped was deserved but maybe a little confirmation of that won’t hurt

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 24 Sep 2018 02:34

I thought it was booing, in fact I attempted a particularly loud cheer to try and drown out the morons around me. Felt embarrassed and ashamed to hear that, wasn't many but enough to be heard. It took the gloss off the win actually. This is a player who has played nearly 300 games for us and is almost always available and manages to stay injury free. If you had Aluko playing in front of you wouldn't you rather play the ball sideways or backwards ? Yes he's currently lacking in confidence but is a good lad and should be backed to the hilt.