BFTG , Hull.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG , Hull.

by Zip » 22 Sep 2018 20:08

Hound
Denver Royal
SCIAG Very pleased with that.

Only thing to add that might be controversial is that while O'Shea was immense in the air, Hull really played into his hands - the two times they ran at him he went in the book. Think he'd be a big liability against a better team. But we have to work with the players we have.

Yep, think you're right. Hull played to his strengths.
That said, think we could use more aerial dominance in central defence in this league.
And, prolly most players in general looked better today on account of opposition.

Do you think they played to his strengths as the front 4/5 were pressing so well?

That’s how I watched it. Made them resort to long balls which Tiago, Moore and O Shea are going to deal with all day

We see other teams constantly press and chase our defence. Finally we saw the tables turned with Bod, Sims and Baldock working so hard to close down their defenders. So pleasing to see

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2018 20:31

Decent game for once.

Thought Ilori was MoM, did really well at right back. O’Shea did well too, apart from two moments the first of which left him with a yellow card and a beak.

Just do much better without Aluko and Gunter and looked more evenly balanced with so much more directness on the right. Hoping that a spell on the sidelines will serve to wake them both up and see them come back as better players and able to contribute much more positively

Overall though 6 points from 3 games is promotion form :lol:

Of course one win doesnt make a season and Hull are a poor team struggling and suffering from money worries that has seen much of last seasons squad depart and they struggled with that squad so it’s no real surprise to see them still with problems.

And, just as an aside, with David Meyler being one of those players that left it seems he was very close to packing the game in altogether last season

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 42268.html

So with all that and a move to a new area with his family to play for another club in its own malaise it’s no wonder he’s struggled a bit for form.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 22 Sep 2018 20:44

Encouraging signs but still some things to fix. Clement did the sensible thing and made the changes that pretty much everyone has been saying for weeks - no Gunter, Aluko or Meite, though seeing O'Shea was a bit of a surprise.

Some standout comments:
Yiadom again showed real class. Shift him to right back with Ilori at left back who struggled a bit first half finding his positions.
Baldock - ran his nuts off covering Yiadom and sharp for his goal.
Ezatoholi - looks a bit 'languid'.... needs to find the pace of the game quickly. Got robbed a couple of times just dwelling on it too long but certainly brings presence and some skill in front of the back four. When he gets up to speed and is more attuned, his dodgy passes will vanish.
Bacuna - my player of the season so far with Yiadom - and much more effective pushed forward. Why has he not been on dead balls this season? (Oh, and what is that shit green - it really is bilious - car he has with the naff number plate?)
Bod - yeah, has a great scoring ratio and works hard but he's just not very good with the ball at his feet (if he has managed to control it.)
Swift and Barrow showed intent and stretched the game when they came on .... and two goals.
Sims - he's like an angry wasp. Nipping heels, chasing down, confident enough to run at defenders... good to see.
O'Shea - consummate professional but never, ever let anyone run at him....

Oh, and 'Ull are really, really poor. Even Oompah Loompah Perma-tan gave up with 15 minutes left.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Sep 2018 20:47

I wonder who that huge Rolls Royce belonged to?

biff

by biff » 22 Sep 2018 21:01

Bloody brilliant. Ilori opening up and stretching every sinew to get to that last ditch tackle, followed by good work Bacuna before being scythed was moment of the season for me. Blood and thunder football, something we've missed but had today in spades.

Simms should start every game, such a bright spark. Bod's holdup play is brilliant too, really allowed people to come and join him in attack, especially the ever-present Baldock.

Their chances will come with 3 at the back, its inevitable. But the clean sheet was well earned and I'm a lot more positive.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Sep 2018 21:02

Zip I wonder who that huge Rolls Royce belonged to?

Somebody that didn`t know how to park that`s for sure.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 22 Sep 2018 21:03

During the warm up, the midfield and attackers were clearly practising inticrate little moves, rather than just take shots.

The first goal was scored using one of these moves. Really impressive!!

Lori MotM for me.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 22 Sep 2018 21:16

Ascotexgunner
Lower West
Ascotexgunner Anyone know what the attendance was?

587 from Hull

Yeah looked similar to Norwich......that really is poor.

Hardly surprising given the terrible performances and results over the last 18 months in fact I was expecting it to drop below 10k today. Wigan have been winning for fun at home for the last year and get less than us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Sep 2018 21:18

windermereROYAL
Zip I wonder who that huge Rolls Royce belonged to?

Somebody that didn`t know how to park that`s for sure.

Yep was going to say that about Bacuna ‘s horrid car as well. His parking is fcuking awful. Lazy git

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Sep 2018 21:27

Snowflake Royal O'Shea was in Yiadom's ear intently before one of Bacuna's set pieces, really good to see him passing on his experience and leading.

"Watch me get sent off lol x"

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 22 Sep 2018 22:33

Great stuff. The win looked on after about ten minutes, and we retained our superiority for all but a short spell in the second half.

Ilori was motm? I thought he defended beautifully and constantly got into forward positions.

The red card seemed harsh - aren't they supposed to let players off for professional fouls if they make an attempt for the ball?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Sep 2018 22:39

Jack Celliers
The red card seemed harsh - aren't they supposed to let players off for professional fouls if they make an attempt for the ball?

Only inside the box. to prevent getting punished by a penalty and a sending off.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Sep 2018 22:41

Keeper

I haven't seen him make a great save, or a horrible mistake, yet I feel better when he's in goal rather than Mannone..

Defence

Illori, for me, is improving every game. Today he played out of position and did very well indeed. His last-ditch tackle saving an almost-certain goal was top-drawer. Easy 8, possibly MoM

Yiadom

One of the best signings for years. Solid in defence, tough, very decent going forward, now gets goals. Should become a real fan favourite.

Moore.

Strange, but I can't remember specifics about his performance. Just the usual, solid Moore.

O'Shea

Solid, great in the air, big talker. Never let the side down and his sending-off was taking one for the team. The Radio Berks pundits (and me) read the team wrong and presumed a back fife with wing backs (because O'Shea was 87 and could barely walk...). Of course he isn't QUICK but, IMO, for the games I've seen him play he doesn't look like a liability.

His two fouls? He was isolated. Once out on the wing, the second time, last man in the middle. That suggests a failure of organisation.

MIDFIELD

Thought Bacuna looked VG first half, a very solid 7 for the 90 minutes. With Ezi behind him seemed far freer and much better.

Kelly may not yet be at his best but it seems to me he's on his way back. He seems far more fired up, more committed (as were the rest of the team).

Ezi. Big, strong-looking, wins headers. These are good extras. First 15 minutes he seemed to have three times the time his team-mates had, time to control the ball, look around, choose his passes. He made some mistakes, took a few chances... There was a hospital pass that Lori did brilliantly to save. BUT he did a superb job protecting the back four, and allowed Bacuna-Kelly to move more freely. IMO Ezi and Bacuna should be fixtures with Kelly/Swift fighting for the other midfield place. I liked his debut a LOT.

BTW, great header that helped us to our first goal

SIMS. Love this guy. All action, fast, skilful. I didn't think we used his speed enough, but if he becomes a regular, I think he will be as important as Barrow. Different kind of player, but VVG.

Baldock. I couldn't figure out the set-up for a while but he seemed to play wider. Was he actually a winger for the day? Whatever, that's easily the best he's played for Reading and I think he's finding his feet. Let's remember he played very little last season.

No way can he be a lone striker, but off a big man, yes!

(We have a fair few players who have been underperforming, down, misused, out of position, but they DO have class. Baldock is an example of that. Should get better and better if we can put together a half-reasonable run.)

Bod. Someone said he didn't win a header. Of course he did! Plenty. He's a hard-working, hard-running front-man that takes a fair bit of stopping. He held up the ball well for the most part. (I would rather him than two Meites). And yet again, he scored. When strikers are on a purple patch, play them!! End.

He has returned these excellent goal-scoring stats for almost a season's worth of games in two different calendar years. Even if we partly discount his hat-trick v Stevenage down to 1 goal, his stats are superb.

I couldn't get over the space we seemed to find in the first half. Was that skillz or because Hull dropped back too much? Hull were poor and look relegation-fodder, but, more importantly, we looked A LOT better than that.

What was also pleasing was the buzz, the energy, the closing down, the not-giving-up.

On the radio later it was suggested that Aluko or Aluko/Gunter were spoiling the team's dynamic. The impression was that Aluko's temperament was a problem. Bod, in his interview was saying that the difference today was that the team clicked. The inference was something to do team-spirit being notably better.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but...

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Sep 2018 22:58

Snowball
On the radio later it was suggested that Aluko or Aluko/Gunter were spoiling the team's dynamic. The impression was that Aluko's temperament was a problem. Bod, in his interview was saying that the difference today was that the team clicked. The inference was something to do team-spirit being notably better.

Aluko was a big money signing. Possibly on much better wages. Does little for dressing room harmony. When performances on the pitch are so obviously are under par.

Likewise didn't Barrow play at Swansea while Clement was there. Barrow does seem to fade when playing a full 90 minutes. Being a super might be a better role.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 22 Sep 2018 23:02

Wigan have been winning for fun at home for the last year and get less than us.

Wigan is a Rugby League town. HTH

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Sep 2018 23:09

Muskrat
Wigan have been winning for fun at home for the last year and get less than us.

Wigan is a Rugby League town. HTH

Or watch Liverpool or Everton.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Sep 2018 23:13

Snowball
Yiadom

One of the best signings for years. Solid in defence, tough, very decent going forward, now gets goals. Should become a real fan favourite.

Prior to Barnsley. Played as winger. Perhaps explains role and freedom today.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Sep 2018 23:25

Today was the performance I expected on Wednesday.

We looked a totally different team.

Baldock was excellent, seemingly covered the entire pitch.

Bod is on a goal scoring streak and why he hasn’t started every game this season is mystifying.

Generally it looked like a team that actually wanted to compete and win. We actually won tackles in midfield - unheard of with this team.

I’m dreadfully confused.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Sep 2018 23:45

I'm dreadfully happy

Fair fuks to Clement for playing ‘his team’

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Sep 2018 00:33

Yup. Massive kudos to PC, especially dropping the undroppable Gunter. Ilori at FB looked pretty promising. Ezatolahi is probably the best player I've ever seen live.