On this day

413 posts
Kulshaw72RFC

Re: On this day

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Oct 2018 13:33

stealthpapes
Chris Armstrong was on of our best LBs of recent times IMHO. I hope he is okay. What a great bloke.

popped in to say this.

----

I got a few games last season and that’s something that I thought I would never be able to do, that was an amazing feeling,” Armstrong admitted.

I’m just thankful that I got those few games and managed to step out onto the Madejski Stadium pitch for the fans.

I loved every time I played for Reading from that first season I came here in 2008.

I just love playing and I had a decent debut season.

I have my player-of-the-season trophy at home and that means a lot to me.

I unfortunately never really managed to get back after that, but that’s life, isn’t it? You just have to get on with it."

:cry:

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 25 Oct 2018 15:09

Kulshaw72RFC
grey_squirrel
Kulshaw72RFC I just put that team on my left hand computer screen at work and the current team on my right hand moniter and just started uncontrollably weeping.

Really?????

Despite this being only 2 years after the 106 team, there is plenty of shlt in there. Rosenior, Cisse, Noel Hunt, Bikey, Karacan. No better than some of what we have today.........

The 1985/6 team however is a completely different matter. This oozed pure class and commitment all over the pitch.

Stupid statement of the year award goes to you.

Stupid statement of the year award goes to you Half term this week?

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Oct 2018 15:33

grey_squirrel
Kulshaw72RFC
grey_squirrel
Really?????

Despite this being only 2 years after the 106 team, there is plenty of shlt in there. Rosenior, Cisse, Noel Hunt, Bikey, Karacan. No better than some of what we have today.........

The 1985/6 team however is a completely different matter. This oozed pure class and commitment all over the pitch.

Stupid statement of the year award goes to you.

Stupid statement of the year award goes to you Half term this week?

Yes it is. I fail to see what relevancy that has on this post.

Explain your statement? Utter tripe it was!

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 26 Oct 2018 23:27

grey_squirrel
Kulshaw72RFC I just put that team on my left hand computer screen at work and the current team on my right hand moniter and just started uncontrollably weeping.

Really?????

Got to agree with grey squirrel here, but have some empathy with Kushaw. I mean just compare any squad of ours from the last 17 years with today’s squad and you will feel a little sad.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 28 Oct 2018 08:55

18 years ago

Reading 4-3 Oxford

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/281000.html

Phil Whitehead’s cock up trying to stop a corner :lol:

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 28 Oct 2018 10:01

URZZZZZZZZ 18 years ago

Reading 4-3 Oxford

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/281000.html

Phil Whitehead’s cock up trying to stop a corner :lol:

What a game that was, and a great way to win it with a late goal.
The only real shame that day was not that it hammered with rain, it was that the large away following were afforded a roof over them, unlike a couple of years earlier when they would have been out on the tundra of the Town End Terrace.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 28 Oct 2018 13:31

Kulshaw72RFC
stealthpapes
Chris Armstrong was on of our best LBs of recent times IMHO. I hope he is okay. What a great bloke.

popped in to say this.

----

I got a few games last season and that’s something that I thought I would never be able to do, that was an amazing feeling,” Armstrong admitted.

I’m just thankful that I got those few games and managed to step out onto the Madejski Stadium pitch for the fans.

I loved every time I played for Reading from that first season I came here in 2008.

I unfortunately never really managed to get back after that, but that’s life, isn’t it? You just have to get on with it."

I would imagine he is in a bad way right now. MS is a cruel horrible disease. For a young man at the peak of physical fitness to get this was truly heartbreaking. With all our current problems just spare a thought for Chris and his family. At the end of the day it’s only a game.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 28 Oct 2018 14:48

Jackson Corner
Kulshaw72RFC
stealthpapes
popped in to say this.

----

I would imagine he is in a bad way right now. MS is a cruel horrible disease. For a young man at the peak of physical fitness to get this was truly heartbreaking. With all our current problems just spare a thought for Chris and his family. At the end of the day it’s only a game.

True.

I saw a sky sports doc about fernando rickson from rangers who now has MS. Made me cry.... he looked so frail :cry:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Oct 2018 16:28

Kulshaw72RFC
Jackson Corner
Kulshaw72RFC

True.

I saw a sky sports doc about fernando rickson from rangers who now has MS. Made me cry.... he looked so frail :cry:

Yes, let’s not forget Chris - and Bobby Convey too. I hope that STAR and/or the club would try and regularly reach out to any former player suffering even if it’s no more than just asking after them.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 30 Oct 2018 10:14

gonna put myself through this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHPTyuFFgM

4-0 up just before half time and completely and utterly sure we'd stack it.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 01 Nov 2018 17:48

stealthpapes gonna put myself through this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHPTyuFFgM

4-0 up just before half time and completely and utterly sure we'd stack it.

I agree

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Nov 2018 09:52

On this day in 1999 we drew 1-1 with Brentford. Below is the feedback from the game.

BRENTFORD 1 READING 1 Attendance: 6,774
Scorers: Gurney Date: 2 November 1999
Team: Whitehead, Casper, Bernal, Hunter, Primus, Gurney (McIntyre), Parkinson, Evers, Caskey (Caskey), Williams, Scott (Grant).
Audio: Supplied by Classic Gold
0-1: Gurney scores
1-1: Brentford Equalise Match Hero: Evers

Post Match Opinions

I thought that we defended far too deep in the second half but also thought that we should have sown the game up with a breakaway goal. I also thought that Hunter and Primus have forged a brilliant central defensive partnership and Casper and Bernal are looking like decent full backs and with the capabilities of getting forward too we look like we have a settled defence.With Forster, Evers, Murty, Williams all comming together very soon mid table and futher should suerly beckon.-- Jeremy Skates

Classic game of two halves, we should have gone in at half time at least a couple of goals up Primus and Hunter were outstanding for the Royals at the back, with most of the other players also showing a refreshing amount of effort . Evers had a good game and will only improve with time and fitness. At the end a draw was a fair result, when Brentford equalised you could sense all the fans were waiting for the Brentford winner but it never came . A special mention for the fans who were quite magnificent! If that support doesn't lift the players then nothing will . I thought it was the best atmosphere at a Royals game since we left Elm Park . -- Nick Poole

We are improving with every game now. Whitehead has installed confidence in the defence and it's great to have a player like Evers who is every inch the box to box player he was billed as. The lads worked tirelessly last night and it's refreshing to see defenders joining in the attacks compared to the disjointed isolation the strikers experienced during the Burns era. We still need to stop giving the ball away needlessly though and the continual problem of defending too deep needs to be solved urgently. Parky is giving his all but is looking worryingly off the pace. Brentford were pretty formidable at the back, and it was nice to see a team playing out and out wingers throughout. We can be happy with a point but it could so easily have been three. A special mention must go to the fans: We were deafening last night and produced a fantastic atmosphere - Bring on the Oxford!!!!! - Rob Webb

From where I was standing in the away end you could see the space the Brentford striker had to choose from to score at the near post - another example of the many crappy, unneccesary goals we've given away this season. Still, Evers looks good going forward, and the expected second half collapse a la Craven Cottage never happened. Interesting to see the substitution of Caskey as well. Perhaps Alan & John don't subscribe to the 'base the team around him' philosophy.... -- Hair Trigger

Two points lost, rather one gained. Reading defended far too deep and too often. With a little more application and communication between the front players, we would have come away with all three points and a hat full oif goals. Evers was a revelation, unfortunately his teammates do not appear to have the pace or intelligence to play in the same team. Can Forster and Evers can propel the Royals up the table ? The answer is YES based upon last nights performance. -- Robert Sadler

I thought Royals looked really good in the first half - apart from a dodgy spell midway through when they kept giving the ball away. We dominated possession and looked a class or two above Brentford. The speed with which we closed players down in midfield was impressive. In the second half Brentford were better and always looked like equalising. We stopped closing down their midfield and with Scottie tiring alarmingly upfront we threatened only occasionally. We seemed to have trouble getting men forward. Was this a deliberate tactic (to sit on the lead) or are our players not as fit as they should be? Caskey in particular looked out of touch. If Premiership clubs really were interested in him before last night they won't be now - stick a sprig of holly on him and he'd make a pretty good Christmas Pudding. -- "Ichcon

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Nov 2018 14:32

Old Man Andrews Match Hero: Evers

:shock:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 07 Nov 2018 13:42

Two pretty memorable games from 7 Nov.

1999 - lost 2-1 at home to Oxford. I think this game kicked off at 11am on Sunday morning? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l2Gt3AoKtc

1998 - drew 3-3 with Bournemouth. Cracking game and, as a footnote, I think it was the game that led to the introduction of the post-match gates outside the East Stand. Bournemouth brought about 3500 and there was some properly scary crushing afterwards outside the south east corner.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Nov 2018 13:44

Jerry St Clair Two pretty memorable games from 7 Nov.

1999 - lost 2-1 at home to Oxford. I think this game kicked off at 11am on Sunday morning? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l2Gt3AoKtc

1998 - drew 3-3 with Bournemouth. Cracking game and, as a footnote, I think it was the game that led to the introduction of the post-match gates outside the East Stand. Bournemouth brought about 3500 and there was some properly scary crushing afterwards outside the south east corner.

This is the game which first made Reading4eva fall in love with Bournemouth. Been a supporter of them ever since.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Nov 2018 14:06

Old Man Andrews

This is the game which first made Reading4eva fall in love with Bournemouth. Been a supporter of them ever since.

Mark Stein dived horrifically for the pen that they equalised from. We was really robbed.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Nov 2018 16:43

John Smith
Old Man Andrews

Mark Stein dived horrifically for the pen that they equalised from. We was really robbed.

And to this day they still dive and get more than their fair share of penalties.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 26 Nov 2018 22:24

13 years ago. Oh yes, what a beauty.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q68ch5w8sFY

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Nov 2018 23:06

Jerry St Clair 13 years ago. Oh yes, what a beauty.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q68ch5w8sFY

My 9 year old calls lobbed goals Glen Little goals, after I played clips of this goal repeatedly to him about a year ago.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 30 Nov 2018 10:46

Lost 3-1 to Swindle at the County Ground on this day in 1996.

I must have been there, but have absolutely no recollection of the game. Probably for the best.

413 posts