Club developed players

The Cube

Club developed players

by The Cube » 24 Sep 2018 13:25

There's a rule change for this season that says that each Football League matchday squad of 18 must include a "club developed player", or else you can only name 6 subs. The definition is of someone who spent 12 months at the club before their Under-19 season ended. There is a vaguely worded exemption which I think applies if you've sold two such players to clubs in the same division or higher, and they are still under 24.

So I don't see that the exemption is relevant, which means Reading need to name one club developed player in each squad. So far this season Liam Kelly has been in every squad so that's that.

However, the only other players I can see in a squad this season who might count are Rinomhota and Richards (not completely sure if Rinomhota meets the 12 month rule). So Kelly had better stay fit and not get suspended. Any potential problems reduce significantly once Obita is fit.

I wonder if there are any journalists in this town who could investigate futher. Wait a minute - that's a silly mistake....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Club developed players

by Hound » 24 Sep 2018 14:06

presumably if we were at risk, we'd just name Loader, Southwood or Richards on the bench to be sub number 7

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Sep 2018 14:59

If only this rule were enforced in the Prem

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Sep 2018 16:26

John Smith If only this rule were enforced in the Prem

It wouldn't change anything?
Arsenal - Bellerin
Chelsea - Loftus-Cheek
Liverpool - Alexander-Arnold
Man City - You got me there..
Man Utd - Pogba
Tottenham - Kane

Unless I misunderstood this entirely.

Is there a team in the premier league without an academy player in the first team right now?

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 24 Sep 2018 16:28

The Cube There's a rule change for this season that says that each Football League matchday squad of 18 must include a "club developed player", or else you can only name 6 subs. The definition is of someone who spent 12 months at the club before their Under-19 season ended. There is a vaguely worded exemption which I think applies if you've sold two such players to clubs in the same division or higher, and they are still under 24.

So I don't see that the exemption is relevant, which means Reading need to name one club developed player in each squad. So far this season Liam Kelly has been in every squad so that's that.

However, the only other players I can see in a squad this season who might count are Rinomhota and Richards (not completely sure if Rinomhota meets the 12 month rule). So Kelly had better stay fit and not get suspended. Any potential problems reduce significantly once Obita is fit.

I wonder if there are any journalists in this town who could investigate futher. Wait a minute - that's a silly mistake....

Not a well publicised change, as you say, not an issue when Obita is back, and with Kelly there it isn't currently an issue. Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years though. Certainly places an emphasis on youth, although there are obvious ways around it......

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 24 Sep 2018 16:30

Hound presumably if we were at risk, we'd just name Loader, Southwood or Richards on the bench to be sub number 7

And therein lies the problem. You promote one of those, they miss out on game time with the U23's with no chance Clement is going to use them in a match situation.......

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Sep 2018 16:40

again Citeh would just chuck Phil Foden on the bench

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Sep 2018 16:50

Kick in the teeth to english players - only 1 per match day squad requirement.
Would be better to have a minutes played quota to actually get them out on the pitch. Punishments for not filling the quota - being told to start a home grown player or a small points reduction. A bit extreme but it would be incentive to develop the youth and play them.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Sep 2018 16:57

Coppells Lost Coat Kick in the teeth to english players - only 1 per match day squad requirement.
Would be better to have a minutes played quota to actually get them out on the pitch. Punishments for not filling the quota - being told to start a home grown player or a small points reduction. A bit extreme but it would be incentive to develop the youth and play them.

CLC, to aid more youth development, weren't the FA thinking about letting some clubs' reserves teams play in the football league, like 'Barcelona B' in Spain?

'Reserve teams in Spain play in the same league system as the senior team, rather than in a reserve team league. They must play at least one level below their main side, and thus Barcelona B are ineligible for promotion to La Liga. They also cannot play in the Copa del Rey'.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/27289819

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... the-ashes/
Last edited by Denver Royal on 24 Sep 2018 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Sep 2018 17:09

NewCorkSeth

Arsenal - Bellerin
Chelsea - Loftus-Cheek
Man Utd - Pogba
Tottenham - Kane

Is there a team in the premier league without an academy player in the first team right now?

Well yes you're right. My point should have been something more like 'if only the Prem adopted a rule something along these lines but harsher and that stated more than one home grown player must be named in the starting line up'. is that more accurate for you Seth you pedantic old sod?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Sep 2018 17:13

John Smith
NewCorkSeth

Arsenal - Bellerin
Chelsea - Loftus-Cheek
Man Utd - Pogba
Tottenham - Kane

Well yes you're right. My point should have been something more like 'if only the Prem adopted a rule something along these lines but harsher and that stated more than one home grown player must be named in the starting line up'. is that more accurate for you Seth you pedantic old sod?

:cry:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Sep 2018 17:15

Hound again Citeh would just chuck Phil Foden on the bench

Or Brahim Diaz for those who think only English youth would benefit.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Sep 2018 17:22

Coppells Lost Coat Kick in the teeth to english players - only 1 per match day squad requirement.

Home grown does not mean English. Gylfi was home grown. Bellerin and Pogba as I mentioned above are home grown. All the Irish, Scottish and Welsh players that have been and are home grown.

I really don't think this system would improve the England team. There would just be a load more players like Shawcross and Noble. Good enough for the premier league, not good enough for England.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Sep 2018 17:41

Coppells Lost Coat Kick in the teeth to English players - only 1 per match day squad requirement.
Maybe it starts with 1 this season, then increases by 1 each season after?
or maybe they go with the home grown players rather than club grown?
If Brexit happens, maybe they could be allowed to specify home nations players?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Sep 2018 18:22

England U15 thru U21 teams have improved and done well in recent seasons(?)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Sep 2018 18:57

I don’t think this would be a problem for us at all.
We could name any one of 4 home grown centre backs on the bench without a problem. We’ve got several keepers who would be ok as reserve keeper. Loader currently and Novacovic next season qualify as would Smith. Obita and Richards when fit plus Watson when back from loan. Other than Obita and Richards (plus Kelly) not sure many of these are ready to start 20+ games a season this year but you would hope some would start featuring in match squads soon and be challenging for the starting line up from next season. I certainly think when Moore leaves we should be replacing him from within the club.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Sep 2018 20:12

Nameless I don’t think this would be a problem for us at all.
We could name any one of 4 home grown centre backs on the bench without a problem. We’ve got several keepers who would be ok as reserve keeper. Loader currently and Novacovic next season qualify as would Smith. Obita and Richards when fit plus Watson when back from loan. Other than Obita and Richards (plus Kelly) not sure many of these are ready to start 20+ games a season this year but you would hope some would start featuring in match squads soon and be challenging for the starting line up from next season. I certainly think when Moore leaves we should be replacing him from within the club.

I know just the guy too. He's 6ft6, left footed, has scored a decent amount of goals despite being young.
Jake Coop.. oh..

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Sep 2018 20:54

The Cube There's a rule change for this season that says that each Football League matchday squad of 18 must include a "club developed player", or else you can only name 6 subs. The definition is of someone who spent 12 months at the club before their Under-19 season ended. There is a vaguely worded exemption which I think applies if you've sold two such players to clubs in the same division or higher, and they are still under 24.

Tshibola and Cooper are still under 24 for this season (I would assume that it uses "u24 season" rather than "precisely under 24", but they're both 23 anyway). The exemption currently applies to us if what you say is correct.

Rinomhota signed for us a month before the end of his U18 season, so should also be eligible.

The Cube

by The Cube » 24 Sep 2018 21:01

It's only a problem if our admin is sufficiently poor to forget about the rule. Like, for example, not knowing who is eligible to play in the FA Youth Cup.

Having said that I had forgotten that Cooper went for a fee, so that could well make us exempt.

And for the record, this is different from the "home grown rule" which refers to any player developed in England and / or Wales for 3 years up to the age of 21.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 Sep 2018 23:23