MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h) sponsored by Michael Meaker

167 posts
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h) sponsored by Michael Meaker

by Top Flight » 03 Oct 2018 00:29

Meite was very unlucky tonight. He did well with one shot that hit the post. And that glorious header just missed by a fraction.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Oct 2018 00:34

I’m glad I didn’t go to this. I’m bored of this season already. JUST END IT NOW.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2018 07:16

genome
Snowflake Royal
genome Losing patience with Clement. Team selection and tactics were awful.

I just can't figure out why you would drop Swift after Saturday, unless he wasn't fit enough to play 3 games in a week - in which case you should play him in the match we'd have more chance of getting something in. And continuing to play Gunter and Aluko is utterly baffling. It's like playing with no right flank.

I'm not Clement Out but the team lacks identity. The fight and effort is much better all round than last year, but I can't really figure out what his philosophy is.

He came off injured in the last game, so to be honest, it makes perfect sense to not risk him so soon after.

Picking Aluko after he came on and did sweet FA so we lost all momentum against Brentford, having seen him be absolutely and irredeemably bad time and time again is the thing to complain about. Not resting Swift.

Just cramp on Saturday I think. I don't think it would've affected his ability to play today. Clement said he wanted to freshen things up tonight and admitted it was the wrong thing to do in the post-match interviews. Swift should've played - rest him on Saturday when we will need to set up more defensively.

I'll leave the fitness diagnosis to the club experts rather than second guess them thanks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 07:24

No major problem with him picking Kelly over Swift. He did at Hull and it worked

The shape was just wrong. Whereas Bacuna was or most forward mid against Hull (and it worked a treat) Kelly seemed to be playing almost as a striker. Not sure why they did that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Oct 2018 08:15

Hound No major problem with him picking Kelly over Swift. He did at Hull and it worked

The shape was just wrong. Whereas Bacuna was or most forward mid against Hull (and it worked a treat) Kelly seemed to be playing almost as a striker. Not sure why they did that.

Bacuna was f*cking horrific last night, seems to have gone under the radar.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 03 Oct 2018 09:07

Sigh.

All the QPR supporting dimwits have come out of the shadows at work today. Suddenly they like football.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2018 09:17

Snowflake Royal
genome
Snowflake Royal He came off injured in the last game, so to be honest, it makes perfect sense to not risk him so soon after.

Picking Aluko after he came on and did sweet FA so we lost all momentum against Brentford, having seen him be absolutely and irredeemably bad time and time again is the thing to complain about. Not resting Swift.

Just cramp on Saturday I think. I don't think it would've affected his ability to play today. Clement said he wanted to freshen things up tonight and admitted it was the wrong thing to do in the post-match interviews. Swift should've played - rest him on Saturday when we will need to set up more defensively.

I'll leave the fitness diagnosis to the club experts rather than second guess them thanks.

Interesting logic. So I guess we should leave the team selection to the club experts as well then, and not express our opinions on them picking Aluko?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 09:33

Old Man Andrews
Hound No major problem with him picking Kelly over Swift. He did at Hull and it worked

Thought he was ok. Bar one crap corner didn’t do much wrong

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Oct 2018 09:46

Hound
Old Man Andrews

Lacked energy, had no real influence in the game at all for me. If anything he is one of the guys who should have been rested last night. I would have been happy with an Ezatolhi and Swift midfield with Kelly just in front.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 10:20

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews

Lacked energy, had no real influence in the game at all for me. If anything he is one of the guys who should have been rested last night. I would have been happy with an Ezatolhi and Swift midfield with Kelly just in front.

Kelly really :? Thought you couldn't stand him :)

Rinomhota looks the ideal Bacuna back up to me. Time to start getting him some game time imo

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 03 Oct 2018 10:22

I have never really questioned Clements tactics but starting with a front 3 that have scored 1 goal between them, Why did he not play Bodvarsson or Mcnulty. I know Baldock is injured.

at the end of the day when you dont play with an out and out striker you get what we got last night 13 or 14 attempts and none on target.

It just does not make sense.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Oct 2018 10:23

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hound

Rinomhota looks the ideal Bacuna back up to me. Time to start getting him some game time imo

Oh I can't I am just working with what is available. If you have Kelly in a floating CAM role then he could do damage with through balls perhaps. Bacuna just looked jaded to me from minute one, wasn't the only one mind.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Oct 2018 10:23

linkenholtroyal I have never really questioned Clements tactics but starting with a front 3 that have scored 1 goal between them, Why did he not play Bodvarsson or Mcnulty. I know Baldock is injured.

at the end of the day when you dont play with an out and out striker you get what we got last night 13 or 14 attempts and none on target.

Bodvarsson is injured. Did his calf in the warm up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 10:25

linkenholtroyal I have never really questioned Clements tactics but starting with a front 3 that have scored 1 goal between them, Why did he not play Bodvarsson or Mcnulty. I know Baldock is injured.

Bod was injured. Agree in retrospect that McNulty prob would have been a better choice to start.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 03 Oct 2018 10:28

Hound

Bod was injured. Agree in retrospect that McNulty prob would have been a better choice to start.

Fair enough wasn't aware of that but I still think this was the underlying issue. at the moment if Bod was injured and I had the choice of Aluko or Mcnulty I know which one I would pick.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 10:34

Missing both Baldock and Bod was a huge blow tbf. International break after WBA isnt it? Just rest them both til after that, and then back in the starting line up

3rd of 4th time Bod has had a calf injury from memory. He has been annoyingly injury prone

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2018 18:00

genome
Snowflake Royal
genome

Interesting logic. So I guess we should leave the team selection to the club experts as well then, and not express our opinions on them picking Aluko?

I've got 20 years experience watching live professional football and more knowledge than i want of how Aluko plays.

I don't have any real of sports pyshiotherapy or science, nor any access to decent information of the state of Swift's fitness.

I think there's a significant difference personally. Although I'd usually give management the benefit of the doubt and try not to judge them by hindsight too much.

Kelly's had good games (and recently). Swift has a history of delicacy and Clement said he felt he needed to freshen the first XI because some had struggled with fitness. Fair enough I say.

Clement could reasonably expect Kelly to do ok. I don't see how he could expect anything other than utter shit from Aluko.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2018 18:05

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hound

I also thought Bacuna was toss from the little I saw. Every pass over casual and underhit and then the sort of set piece that would see Aluko or Kelly pilloried.

Agree Rinomhota could be an answer to cover him.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Oct 2018 20:40

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Old Man Andrews

I also thought Bacuna was toss from the little I saw. Every pass over casual and underhit and then the sort of set piece that would see Aluko or Kelly pilloried.

Bacons is far too inconsistent.

Another is Barrow who is a player that we can afford when the rest of the team is solid. Which it rarely did is (and certainly isn’t with Kelly and Aluko in it)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2018 21:05

leon
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Bacons is far too inconsistent.

Another is Barrow who is a player that we can afford when the rest of the team is solid. Which it rarely did is (and certainly isn’t with Kelly and Aluko in it)

Agree.

I genuinely like Kelly, but he's been poor for a while and definitely isn't the player you want in a struggling team. And certainly not in a struggling team with fairies like Aluko, Barrow and often Swift drifting around like dandelion seeds.

167 posts