MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h) sponsored by Michael Meaker

167 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h) sponsored by Michael Meaker

by sandman » 03 Oct 2018 21:08

Bacuna is a legend in his own mind. The little trick he tried to pull off in the first half, which resulted in him kicking the ball on to his own foot and giving it straight to QPR was a particular low light. As is his insistence on the playing that crossfield pass that continually goes between full back and winger and out of play.

He has the first touch of Cristiano Ronaldo... in an American hotel room.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Oct 2018 14:06

Snowflake Royal
genome
Snowflake Royal I'll leave the fitness diagnosis to the club experts rather than second guess them thanks.

Interesting logic. So I guess we should leave the team selection to the club experts as well then, and not express our opinions on them picking Aluko?

I've got 20 years experience watching live professional football and more knowledge than i want of how Aluko plays.

I don't have any real of sports pyshiotherapy or science, nor any access to decent information of the state of Swift's fitness.

I think there's a significant difference personally. Although I'd usually give management the benefit of the doubt and try not to judge them by hindsight too much.

Kelly's had good games (and recently). Swift has a history of delicacy and Clement said he felt he needed to freshen the first XI because some had struggled with fitness. Fair enough I say.

Clement could reasonably expect Kelly to do ok. I don't see how he could expect anything other than utter shit from Aluko.

Within twenty minutes it was obvious that Kelly was having an absolute nightmare. Not only did he look lost but he also looked completely disinterested. He should have been replaced by Swift at that point.

Swift has made it clear that he did not have any injury problem and that it was just cramp at Brentford. It also appears that, either he is covering up for Clement, or he genuinely wasn't told why he wasn't selected for the starting lineup against QPR (absolutely p*ss poor management if true).

Clement should've started with his strongest team (Swift is far, far superior to Kelly) to try to get our noses in front and then used his subs to replace tired players if necessary, not wait until we were a goal down to bring on two players who could have made a significant positive contribution had they started the game.

biff

by biff » 04 Oct 2018 15:18

Clement's youtube interview emphasising our lack of consistency. Would somebody kindly tell him changing the lineup every fcking week does that to a team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2018 18:35

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
genome
Interesting logic. So I guess we should leave the team selection to the club experts as well then, and not express our opinions on them picking Aluko?

I've got 20 years experience watching live professional football and more knowledge than i want of how Aluko plays.

I don't have any real of sports pyshiotherapy or science, nor any access to decent information of the state of Swift's fitness.

I think there's a significant difference personally. Although I'd usually give management the benefit of the doubt and try not to judge them by hindsight too much.

Kelly's had good games (and recently). Swift has a history of delicacy and Clement said he felt he needed to freshen the first XI because some had struggled with fitness. Fair enough I say.

Clement could reasonably expect Kelly to do ok. I don't see how he could expect anything other than utter shit from Aluko.

Within twenty minutes it was obvious that Kelly was having an absolute nightmare. Not only did he look lost but he also looked completely disinterested. He should have been replaced by Swift at that point.

Swift has made it clear that he did not have any injury problem and that it was just cramp at Brentford. It also appears that, either he is covering up for Clement, or he genuinely wasn't told why he wasn't selected for the starting lineup against QPR (absolutely p*ss poor management if true).

Clement should've started with his strongest team (Swift is far, far superior to Kelly) to try to get our noses in front and then used his subs to replace tired players if necessary, not wait until we were a goal down to bring on two players who could have made a significant positive contribution had they started the game.

I think we've frequently seen in the past that players are not great judges of their own fitness.

I also completely disagree that Swift is far superior to Kelly. They have different strengths and weaknesses and have both been at times excellent and at times shambolic. Kelly's fitness is certainly more reliable.

Maybe Clement just didn want to run the risk of more forced subs from Swift cramping up again, or a consequent injury. I don't care. The decision to play Kelly pre-match was not unreasonable under the circumstances IMO.

And the conversation isn't about what should have happened once the game had started.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Oct 2018 18:56

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal I've got 20 years experience watching live professional football and more knowledge than i want of how Aluko plays.

I think we've frequently seen in the past that players are not great judges of their own fitness.

I also completely disagree that Swift is far superior to Kelly. They have different strengths and weaknesses and have both been at times excellent and at times shambolic. Kelly's fitness is certainly more reliable.

Maybe Clement just didn want to run the risk of more forced subs from Swift cramping up again, or a consequent injury. I don't care. The decision to play Kelly pre-match was not unreasonable under the circumstances IMO.

And the conversation isn't about what should have happened once the game had started.

Kelly’s shit and has been for over a year. He shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team.

Swift, though, is injury prone and I can see why he wasn’t played from the off.

So who did that leave us in centre mid?

We really still are fcuked when it comes to the midfield. Still.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Oct 2018 19:14

leon
Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

Kelly’s shit and has been for over a year. He shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team.

Swift, though, is injury prone and I can see why he wasn’t played from the off.

So who did that leave us in centre mid?

We really still are fcuked when it comes to the midfield. Still.

As Adie Williams and Mick Gooding would always say, if Swift was fit enough to be on the bench and quite likely to be brought on then he was fit enough to start. If he wasn't fit enough to come on as a sub other than in a real emergency then his place on the bench should've been taken by someone else.

Swift should've been on for the start to give us the strongest possible team from the start and then been subbed if he tired. He certainly should've been brought on in the first half when it was evident that Kelly was having a nightmare game.

There is no doubt at all that Swift is a far better player than Kelly (which of the two has played for the international team?). Furthermore, he was only really injury prone last year when he didn't have any real rest over the summer period, broke down and then kept returning too early.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2018 20:23

Would happily see Rinomhota play more than he has. Clement obvs rates him

167 posts