Next Reading Manager

Old Man Andrews

Re: Next Reading Manager

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Oct 2018 14:54

John Smith
Old Man Andrews
John Smith This is crazy! 3 good results on the trot followed by admittedly one very bad performance and result last night. Not enough to call for the manager's head, even at Leeds.

Calm down everyone please.

Surely a heavy defeat Saturday and the owners will think it is time to go?

Wouldn't have thought so. Are you expecting to win up there or something?

No not at all. I am just trying to think like a football club owner would. Manager admits to getting his team selection badly wrong, home attendances down about 40% plus bad results could mean he might go.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 03 Oct 2018 14:55

You lot are oxf*rd morons.

May as well start another thread now for who the replacement manager after next will be when inevitably the new guy is fired within a year. Clueless.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 03 Oct 2018 14:56

Hound Wouldn't be against McCarthy, just to restore a bit of order. Don't think he'd have any qualms about booting out the likes of Aluko immediately. Not sure it'd be great football to watch mind you

Do we think Aluko has some sort of Clause in his contract where he has to play a certain amount? I can't think of another reason to pick some who never seems to give 100% effort.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 14:58

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hound Wouldn't be against McCarthy, just to restore a bit of order. Don't think he'd have any qualms about booting out the likes of Aluko immediately. Not sure it'd be great football to watch mind you

Do we think Aluko has some sort of Clause in his contract where he has to play a certain amount? I can't think of another reason to pick some who never seems to give 100% effort.

Nope. But I do expect there is pressure from Gourlay to keep playing him in the hope that he turns it round.

After all, doesn't look good to the owners that he spent 5m of their money (and a chunky 4 year contract) on an absolutely waster

I think large part of the problem is Aluko left Fulham because they only offered him another year. He wanted a longer deal. He got that, is well paid, towards end of the career. The fans don't like him and he has joined a poor team. The motivation to do well just isn't there. He isnt especially good anyway. He is just going through the motions and it shows.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Oct 2018 15:04

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 03 Oct 2018 15:04

Hound
Tilehurstsouthbank

Nope. But I do expect there is pressure from Gourlay to keep playing him in the hope that he turns it round.

After all, doesn't look good to the owners that he spent 5m of their money (and a chunky 4 year contract) on an absolutely waster

I think large part of the problem is Aluko left Fulham because they only offered him another year. He wanted a longer deal. He got that, is well paid, towards end of the career. The fans don't like him and he has joined a poor team. The motivation to do well just isn't there. He isnt especially good anyway. He is just going through the motions and it shows.

Should be on a performance clause. If he's shit he loses half his pay....

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2018 15:25

If he goes after the next game? Bilic. I liked Bilic. Got hard done by at West Ham and speaks very intelligently about the game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 16:38

Bruce just sacked by Villa. There’s an option I suppose

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2018 16:55

Hound Bruce just sacked by Villa. There’s an option I suppose

Wouldn't be the worst tbh

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2018 17:02

genome

+1.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Oct 2018 18:07

NewCorkSeth
genome

+1.

Well it's -1 from me. Look at Aston Villa's squad, and how much they have spent. With that squad, Bruce has massively underachieved. Would he really do a good job with our squad?

I can see the point of Colin, or Mick McCarthy - because they've shown they have the nous to cope with limited squads. But Bruce? Nope.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2018 18:08

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
genome

+1.

Well it's -1 from me. Look at Aston Villa's squad, and how much they have spent. With that squad, Bruce has massively underachieved. Would he really do a good job with our squad?

I can see the point of Colin, or Mick McCarthy - because they've shown they have the nous to cope with limited squads. But Bruce? Nope.

I just meant he wouldn't be the worst..

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Oct 2018 18:34

Hound think he is better saying he got the selection wrong, than denying what everyone could see with their own eyes tbh

He'll address the issues internally. Not publically deride any single player. Reading into the comment. Some players are finally destined to be dropped from the squad. Come what may. With no depth. No guarantee that results will be any better.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Oct 2018 19:41

It's nonsense to suggest that no other manager would be able to get better performances and results from the squad of players we have. These are not shyte players.

Most are talented players who for whatever reason are not performing to the levels they are capable of. It is the manager and coaches jobs to identify those reasons and work with the players to get them back to form.

It is also the job of the manager to get the team playing effectively as a team.

In the real world, if I took over as a manager of a team of talented employees who in previous years had performed very well but were currently under performing it would be my job to improve their performance and my employer would not expect me to fire the lot and start again. We like to say 'change the people or change the people'. The second change is a last resort and probably only applies to 5-10% of a team at most. If I failed to turn the team's performance around with that approach, I would be the first to be moved on.

At the very least a change of manager might give the supporters a temporary lift, and greater belief and positivity from them would help the team. Currently how many people on here turn up to our games a) looking forward to them? b) expecting to see entertaining football? c) thinking there is a reasonable chance of us getting a win?

I don't know about the team but the supporters' morale, confidence and belief have been absolutely shot to pieces.

You can't help liking Clement as an individual but being likable doesn't necessarily mean that he will be a good manager and can get us out of this mess. I absolutely loved Brian but I really didn't see any indication that he could find a way to get us out of the downward spiral on his second spell as a manager with us.

As Garry Thompson said today of Steve Bruce. 'Do I have sympathy for him? Yes and No. I have sympathy for him as a bloke but....'

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Oct 2018 20:08

I honestly don't know on Steve Bruce. I thought he would do well at Villa but I just don't see him as a fit.
McCarthy would fit in perfectly and Warnock, well he can get even sh+t to smell lovely in the rancid parts of the Championship. But Bruce.......I just don't know.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Oct 2018 20:29

Jagermesiter1871 You lot are oxf*rd morons.

May as well start another thread now for who the replacement manager after next will be when inevitably the new guy is fired within a year. Clueless.

These people are fools Jagermeister. Oh well..... Hopefully those who make the decisions are not swayed by the uneducated opinions of these losers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2018 20:34

Manager is least of our problems.

If we did get a new manager they should be experienced. But we don't sign experienced managers. I'd take McCarthy with a sigh.

But I don't want a new manager. I want Clement to get two full seasons, just to make a oxf*rd change if nothing else.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Oct 2018 20:57

Top Flight

These people are fools Jagermeister. Oh well..... Hopefully those who make the decisions are not swayed by the uneducated opinions of these losers.

You've got confused with your accounts again, Double D. Top Flight is your relentlessly positive alter ego.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Oct 2018 21:05

Top Flight

:lol: It’s called having a different opinion. Get over yourself.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Oct 2018 21:10

:wink: