Corners

Crotts

Corners

by Crotts » 03 Oct 2018 15:52

Does anyone know how many goals we have conceded from corners in the last 2 seasons and how many we have scored from corners ?
It just seems that every time we defend a corner you can feel the trepidation in the team and expect the worst. Likewise when we get a corner, I rarely think that we have a good chance of scoring.
I'm sure we practice corners in training but whatever our coaches are doing it doesn't appear to be working. Maybe we just don't have centre backs that are dominant in the air like we used to have in Ibrahim Sonko, Jake Cooper or Martin Hicks back in the old days or dominant centre forwards like Trevor Senior, Kerry Dixon, Jason Roberts or Jimmy Quinn.

Hopeful

Re: Corners

by Hopeful » 03 Oct 2018 15:58

Some of our best defenders of corners over the last few years were our strikers: Yann Kermogant and Dave Kitson spring (excuse pun) to mind

And no, I don't have any stats

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Oct 2018 16:03

Crotts Does anyone know how many goals we have conceded from corners in the last 2 seasons and how many we have scored from corners ?
It just seems that every time we defend a corner you can feel the trepidation in the team and expect the worst. Likewise when we get a corner, I rarely think that we have a good chance of scoring.
I'm sure we practice corners in training but whatever our coaches are doing it doesn't appear to be working. Maybe we just don't have centre backs that are dominant in the air like we used to have in Ibrahim Sonko, Jake Cooper or Martin Hicks back in the old days or dominant centre forwards like Trevor Senior, Kerry Dixon, Jason Roberts or Jimmy Quinn.

Maybe its me, but the consistancy of us taking sh*t corners is amazing.
I actually don't think taking a corner is that much of a difficult skill.....yet players earning thousands every week cant even clear the first man!!!! Or am I being too harsh? Wonder what they do in training?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 16:11

According to PC (and I think this is true) we hadn’t conceded from a corner under his reign until Brentford

We are normally actually pretty decent and defending set pieces. 2 melt downs in the last two matches though

Attacking wise, Moore scored one against Sheff Weds, and Baldock against Hull. We’ve had decent chances in other games since Bacuna took over corner duties

So we’re basically about as good on attacking corners as we are on defending them

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2018 16:23

According to whoscored one of our main strengths this season is defending set pieces..

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 03 Oct 2018 16:32

I assume they're talking relatively.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 16:33

NewCorkSeth According to whoscored one of our main strengths this season is defending set pieces..

This time last week I’d have fully agreed

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Oct 2018 16:34

NewCorkSeth According to whoscored one of our main strengths this season is defending set pieces..

So basically, other teams are worse. OK...

I think this is a bit like crosses / taking corners. Watch another game where you are not emotionally involved, and see how many either fail to beat the first man or sail over everybody. Tend to notice only how often your own team do it.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 03 Oct 2018 16:43

NewCorkSeth According to whoscored our only strength the last 2 seasons is almost defending set pieces..

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2018 16:52

muirinho

So basically, other teams are worse. OK...

I think this is a bit like crosses / taking corners. Watch another game where you are not emotionally involved, and see how many either fail to beat the first man or sail over everybody. Tend to notice only how often your own team do it.

I think when you take into consideration the sheer amount of free kicks (around the box) and corners we give away we actually have done well this season not to concede more from them.

How many goals have we conceded from corners and free kicks? 2. Just 2. Both in the last 2 games. Both from corners.

We mainly conceded from open play because Clement farted around with the line up, formation and tactics so much.

Ezatolahi is not a god of football but he is exactly what we've been missing to help stop us conceding so many simple goals.

Defending corners is not an issue. Attacking and counter attacking is. That will be sorted out once we get a proper rhythm going by playing a consistent starting 11 that doesn't include Aluko.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Oct 2018 16:54

Always seems to be that the best corners are those whipped in at speed over the penalty spot. But we rarely do those. High floaty ones to the back post seem to achieve nothing.

I vaguely remember we went through a stage where Darren Caskey was creating havoc by chipping the ball softly to the near post.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2018 16:57

Sanguine Always seems to be that the best corners are those whipped in at speed over the penalty spot. But we rarely do those. High floaty ones to the back post seem to achieve nothing.

I vaguely remember we went through a stage where Darren Caskey was creating havoc by chipping the ball softly to the near post.

I think that this was all gone over in another thread but the vast majority of corners that lead to goals are scored by the second player to touch the ball.

The reason we seem to aim far post often is for Moore (usually) to head the ball back in towards other teammates.

We have been fine at attacking corners in recent weeks. No need to criticise them unless Aluko is taking one.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Oct 2018 17:04

It was pretty obvious McLaren watch the Brentford goal against us because it was obvious most of their corners were hit to the near post for a flick on, why PC didn`t pick up on this at HT I can`t speculate on. but we all know their goal came about by exactly this kind of set piece.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2018 17:12

windermereROYAL It was pretty obvious McLaren watch the Brentford goal against us because it was obvious most of their corners were hit to the near post for a flick on, why PC didn`t pick up on this at HT I can`t speculate on. but we all know their goal came about by exactly this kind of set piece.

I'm not really a stat guy but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that QPR have several of the most successful players in aerial duels thus far this season.
They were bound to do well against us in the air when our wingers are shorter, less physical types and Liam Kelly was leading the line..

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Oct 2018 11:50

windermereROYAL It was pretty obvious McLaren watch the Brentford goal against us because it was obvious most of their corners were hit to the near post for a flick on, why PC didn`t pick up on this at HT I can`t speculate on. but we all know their goal came about by exactly this kind of set piece.

You can say that but you can also say we prepared by having Gunter on the line who didn't get rid and now we are being laughed at by Soccer AM banter ladz

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Oct 2018 22:29

Ok. 3 matches and 4 corners conceded in a row. Not looking good...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Oct 2018 15:29

Before the Champ TV game Leeds v Brentford they put up a stat
that showed Reading were joint top with scoring goals from
corners this season

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2018 16:47

We’re definitely quite good offensively at them. Can think of 4 we’ve scored from off the top of my head

Just currently a shambles defending them. Not sure what has happened there

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Oct 2018 17:09

windermereROYAL why PC didn`t pick up on this at HT I can`t speculate on. but we all know their goal came about by exactly this kind of set piece.

Players need to track the oppositions run. In this instance Meite let his man go.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Oct 2018 09:36

Hound We’re definitely quite good offensively at them. Can think of 4 we’ve scored from off the top of my head

Just currently a shambles defending them. Not sure what has happened there

Moore vs Wednesday?
Ilori vs Preston?
Bodvarson vs Norwich?
Baldock vs Hull?