[POLL] Is Aluko really that poor?

Is Aluko really that shit?

Yes.
70%
No he has bad form at the moment like most of the team and is just a scapegoat because he cost loads.
20%
He's actually great and will end up being a Kebe if we give him a chance.
4%
Ian Royal.
6%

Total votes: 138
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: [POLL] Is Aluko really that poor?

by leon » 09 Oct 2018 12:09

Wimb
leon
Wimb His tracking back is a bit of a weakness, can't deny that. Still think he puts in a decent shift though, certainly on a par with most of our attack minded players aside from Baldock who you really appreciate for the yards he covers.

There's obviously something about him that keeps getting him selected ahead of Sims/Academy players. If his attitude was absolutely awful I can't see why Clement would pick him.

He won't cancel his contract, the best you could do is find a club who are prepared to take him and pay him maybe 75% so we'd pay the rest. Think we had to do something similar to move Drenthe along?

He loses the ball. Thinks he's been fouled, throws his hands in the air and stands there moaning.

No thanks.

If you'd had a year of awful form both personally and as part of a squad I'd dare suggest you'd have moments like that when you wonder if everything is against you.

Not condoning it, more saying I can understand it. Some players are so mentally tough that they're unphased by anything but just look at someone like Paul McShane. He literally got into a fight with his own team mate he cared so much and yet has also had a row with fans who were getting on his back. You can also never fault his effort on the pitch but some question his selection on account of quality levels.

Passion and effort are great and I'd love having a squad full of it but it's hard to sustain when you're taking a mental beating week after week. As I said, he strikes me as a player that's perfect for teams who are performing well. If he's not someone who handles tough situations well then that should have been part of the consideration when signing him and by the managers who pick continued to pick him for the team.

All fair enough. I think he needed to be dropped for everyone's sake. How he's going to improve he performances is anyone's guess.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2018 12:27

yep, he's not going to get better here.

I'm afraid he definitely doesn't put in the effort that a lot of the other players do, and that is his overall downfall. The number of times you see him wandering around etc.

Someone like Vydra was a big money signing, played sh!t for the majority of his time, but at least you could see he was straining every sinew to try to stop being so poor

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2018 17:33

Hound yep, he's not going to get better here.

I'm afraid he definitely doesn't put in the effort that a lot of the other players do, and that is his overall downfall. The number of times you see him wandering around etc.

Someone like Vydra was a big money signing, played sh!t for the majority of his time, but at least you could see he was straining every sinew to try to stop being so poor

This exactly. He looks lost and is doing nothing. He may as well not have been there when he came on against Brentford.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2018 09:57

Snowflake Royal
Hound yep, he's not going to get better here.

This exactly. He looks lost and is doing nothing. He may as well not have been there when he came on against Brentford.

That terrible performance has been swept under the carpet somewhat, thought it was a pathetic display and arguably was a factor in us letting in a late goal. Poor management from Clement and extremely poor effort from Aluko. We should be touting him around to every single Championship club right now in time for January 1st. Lets just take the financial loss on him and get him out of this club.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 10 Oct 2018 14:05

Seems totally devoid of a football brain, which is a shame, because he has the ability to be a half decent player.

If you look at his career history, his time with Reading is not a great deviation from the norm - i.e. he hasn't been very good.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Oct 2018 15:04

royal_rumble Seems totally devoid of a football brain, which is a shame, because he has the ability to be a half decent player.

If you look at his career history, his time with Reading is not a great deviation from the norm - i.e. he hasn't been very good.

I'm just not sure he has. I think that is the crux really. He isn't especially quick, he is very lightweight, no real passing ability, no finishing ability, can beat a man but hasn't got the pace to really get away after, and is very 1 footed.

Added to an overall lack of real effort.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 19 Oct 2018 14:49

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/ ... t-15299650

Clement really has lost it.

Show me one season where Aluko has consistently been a 'really good player'?

Closest he got was that last season at Fulham, and we were stupid enough to buy him.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Oct 2018 18:34

royal_rumble

Zero point in being negative. If Aluko comes off the bench and gains us a few points then job done.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2018 19:46

Lower West
royal_rumble

Zero point in being negative. If Aluko comes off the bench and gains us a few points then job done.

Well it’s be a miracle if he did considering his previous performances

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 19 Oct 2018 19:57

Lower West
royal_rumble

That 'if' is doing a fair bit of heavy lifting there.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Oct 2018 21:42

Hound Is he even actually quick? Think that’s a myth

Put a freight train up his arse and he might break into a trot

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Oct 2018 22:02

royal_rumble https://www.football.london/reading-fc/reading-fc-manager-paul-clement-15299650

Show me one season where Aluko has consistently been a 'really good player'?

Closest he got was that last season at Fulham, and we were stupid enough to buy him.

Will be taking my seat tomorrow for the first time this season (due to work mostly) and it could be the last if Aluko starts.

He shouldn't even make the bench :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2018 22:58

Lower West
royal_rumble

As long as he isn't starting any more games that'll do.

Decent response from Clement to pointed criticism of Aluko. Obviously Aluko has been consistent this season (and much of last) consistently shit. The test is whether that's just diplomacy and properly managing his players to protect and try to improve them, or whether he genuinely believes it and continues to start and sub on the shithouse regularly with other options available.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Oct 2018 12:47

Obviously Aluko is a good player, you don’t get to hang around this level of football without being able to play, it’s just that, for whatever reason, Aluko has continuously failed to perform at that level for Reading.

I think a lot of it is down to the fact he is your proverbial “confidence” player and given the utterly dire state of the club on and off the field at the moment it’s no surprise he plays like a dolphin stuck in a dustbin.

Given this I would have to say that Sims, or McCleary (depending on what sort of player he is after such a long injury saga) should be starting ahead if him and Aluko should be on the bench being used to run at tired defenders for the last 20/30 minutes of games.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Oct 2018 08:18

The fact more people believe in Ian Royal than Sone Aluko coming good just about sums his Reading career up.