Will going down be a bad thing? poll added.

SO WILL IT?

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2018 17:46
YES
51%
NO
18%
WHAT A STUPID QUESTION.
23%
IAN ROYAL
8%

Total votes: 84
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Will going down be a bad thing? poll added.

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Oct 2018 18:33

Best case scenario if we go down:

We have an exodus of a lot of the bloat in the squad and we offload the deadwood like Meyler, Aluko, McShane, Popa, Kelly, Gunter and Mannone. Could see Moore and Baldock going too but he'd be great to keep. Expect O'Shea will retire this summer.

We add a few players with a big reputation in league 1 like Blackburn did with Dack and Wigan with Will Grigg. We also blood in Southwood/Legg Rinomhota, Watson, Novakovich and Loader.

We blood in a couple of these youth players with 2-3 quality additions for that level and we bounce back within 1-2 years.

This would likely need the owner to dig deep.

Worst case scenario is we lose some of our better performers (Yiadom, Moore, Ilori, Bod, Swift and Barrow) and are left with the deadwood with a big losing mentality. Unless we go into financial meltdown I doubt we'd fall any further. I do think if we don't bounce back quickly then it could be a Sheffield United style stint in league one.

With the clueless board we have I don't have the confidence that we'd bring in young hungry and academy players to replace the deadwood.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 07 Oct 2018 18:35

Lower West
Kulshaw72RFC Can you add in if they got promoted again to PL, how many years and money was spent?

Noticable how relegated clubs no longer bounce back instantly. Money is no guarantee of success. Fall in revenue means clubs still have to cut back. Lose best players etc.

The only 3 I remember from our league was last season when all 3 went down and back up. Mostly it means going down 2 leagues or more like Blackpool, Wolves, Southampton or Pompey and then rebuilding.

Over a LONG TIME.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2018 19:32

windermereROYAL We`ve been there before I tend to disagree that the crowds will dip below 10,000. if we are having a bad season maybe, but if we are up there challenging fans will come to see a winning team.

‘If’ isn’t a certainty though. If we are challenging is fine but if we are not challenging then it becomes a big problem. What if our owners pull the plug? What then? I certainly don’t think we would hold onto our best academy players. That’s just for starters.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Oct 2018 19:44

Royal_jimmy Best case scenario if we go down:

We have an exodus of a lot of the bloat in the squad and we offload the deadwood like Meyler, Aluko, McShane, Popa, Kelly, Gunter and Mannone. Could see Moore and Baldock going too but he'd be great to keep. Expect O'Shea will retire this summer.

We add a few players with a big reputation in league 1 like Blackburn did with Dack and Wigan with Will Grigg. We also blood in Southwood/Legg Rinomhota, Watson, Novakovich and Loader.

We blood in a couple of these youth players with 2-3 quality additions for that level and we bounce back within 1-2 years.

This would likely need the owner to dig deep.

Worst case scenario is we lose some of our better performers (Yiadom, Moore, Ilori, Bod, Swift and Barrow) and are left with the deadwood with a big losing mentality. Unless we go into financial meltdown I doubt we'd fall any further. I do think if we don't bounce back quickly then it could be a Sheffield United style stint in league one.

With the clueless board we have I don't have the confidence that we'd bring in young hungry and academy players to replace the deadwood.

The whole best case/worst case is kind of pointless when you don’t consider relegation to League Two a possibility under worst case.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Oct 2018 20:21

It’s football, relegations, promotions and mediocre happens.

The real question should be, in (this) modern-day game would doing a Hull, Swansea or Wolves still be possible?

The first two being a season away from virtual extinction, yet have graced the Prem, the latter having sunk to the lowest of lows, yet clawed their way back. Man City?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2018 20:33

AthleticoSpizz It’s football, relegations, promotions and mediocre happens.

The real question should be, in (this) modern-day game would doing a Hull, Swansea or Wolves still be possible?

The first two being a season away from virtual extinction, yet have graced the Prem, the latter having sunk to the lowest of lows, yet clawed their way back. Man City?

You can add Burnley to that list as they were a game away from relegation to non League football. Fair play rules now make it harder for teams to buy their way to promotion but I still think with the right manager in place backed by the boardroom these sort of success stories are still possible.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 07 Oct 2018 21:56

Bournemouth.

10 years ago came within about 15 minutes of relegation to non league. Pretty sure they got deducted points 2 years in a row and started on -17 points. Now look.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Oct 2018 09:42

Kulshaw72RFC

Bournemouth.

10 years ago came within about 15 minutes of relegation to non league. Pretty sure they got deducted points 2 years in a row and started on -17 points. Now look.

Reading

12 years ago won the Football League with the most points ever recorded and the greatest team ever seen in the town. They then had one of the best seasons ever for a side promoted to the top flight. Now look.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 08 Oct 2018 09:51

Sutekh
Kulshaw72RFC

Bournemouth.

Reading

12 years ago won the Football League with the most points ever recorded and the greatest team ever seen in the town. They then had one of the best seasons ever for a side promoted to the top flight. Now look.

:lol:

Touche

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 08 Oct 2018 13:23

Bournemouth

Bournemouth have had a sugar daddy for quite some time now.

Portsmouth

We are nowhere near the financial trouble that they were in. If they can (eventually) turn around their fortunes, so can we.

The main reason I think going down could actually be good for us, is that we are making fundamental mistakes based on us trying to match the quality of the Championship. Primarily I'm thinking constantly changing the team because the last team selection wasn't quite good enough, and buying 5 random chance signings each transfer window hoping one or two might be good enough. If we can go through a period of being more astute in the transfer market and playing a settled first 11 (and first 16) then that can be beneficial to us.

Also, from the list of teams relegated, I would say the team that our current predicament has most in common with is Blackburn. And they didn't get relegated to Division 2 which I admit is a different story altogether

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Oct 2018 13:46

The financial aspect behind Bournemouth's success should not be underestimated.
In this latest transfer window they spent another £50 million or so but with more than twice that amount coming in from TV Revenue their match-day revenue is peanuts by comparison but it took a major input by their Russian owner (and breaking FFP rules leading to a fine of around £9 million) to get them to the land of milk and honey.

Unfortunately our owner chickened out (for his own understandable reasons) when we needed major investment to remain in the Premier League when we all knew that even bigger bucks were just around the corner-if we had similar investment to that of Bournemouth we might even still be there.
It was our chance on both promotion occasions to try and cement a place at the top level but we chose not to take it.

A good comparison Dr H with Blackburn as for our impoverished lying Russian read the Venkys-both clubs now appear to be in similar straits but they look stronger currently ON the pitch.

The question of whether relegation would be a good thing may in a few months' time no longer be hypothetical.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Oct 2018 14:20

Anyone arguing that relegation would not be a bad thing is simply undertaking their own delusion so that if it does it won't seem as bad.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 08 Oct 2018 14:42

Honestly I am not sure now, we do need to do something to get the confidence back and getting relegated may actually do that. we would be likely to take apart league 1.

I really am not sure anymore. All i know is that currently our squad looks shot and I do not know what the answer is.

as far as the squad is concerned this is likely what would happen.

Vito Mannone Will Leave
Anssi Jaakkola Will stay 1 more year
Sam Walker 1st team keeper
Liam Moore will leave for less than offered this summer
Tiago Ilori probaly stay for 1 season in league 1
Paul McShane free transfer would leave
John O'Shea free transfer would leave
Jordan Obita would stay for one season unless a big offer came in
Tyler Blackett free transfer but would probaly be given another 2 yr contract
Omar Richards Stay
Andy Yiadom Stay
Chris Gunter Leave and really good riddance but someone would have him
Saeid Ezatolahi Loan Return
John Swift Not sure probably leave
Leandro Bacuna Stay for 1 season unless big offer comes in
David Meyler Stay unfortunately
David Edwards Free transfer
Pelle Clement Stay
Liam Kelly Stay as noone else would want him at the moment
Yakou Méïté Stay
Callum Harriott Free transfer
Modou Barrow Hopefully stay
Garath McCleary Stay and have one last hurrah in league 1
Josh Sims Loan Return
Adrian Popa Probably go
Sone Aluko Will do everything to leave and be sold off for a pittance
Sam Baldock Probably Stay
Jón Dadi Bödvarsson Stay
Marc McNulty Stay

So line up would be

GK Walker
LB Obita
RB Yiadom
CB Llori
CB Blackett
CM Kelly
CM Bacuna
RW Gmac
LW Barrow
CF Bod
CF Baldock

Subs
Jaakola
Richards
Meyler
Clement
Meite
Mcnulty

Not being funny that squad would tear up League 1 get some confidence back blood our youngsters and get some confidence back.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Oct 2018 14:48

What makes you think that squad would tear up a league of hungrier, more committed, better organised players?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Oct 2018 13:58

CountryRoyal What makes you think that squad would tear up a league of hungrier, more committed, better organised players?
The solution to our current predicament may be to sign some of these league 1 players who will play their socks off at this level to prove they deserve to be here. .... Wasn't Adam Le Fondre playing for Rotherham in league 2 when we signed him as a first teamer in the championship? Wasn't Sonko was league 1 with Brentford?
This is what we're missing.