Will going down be a bad thing? poll added.

SO WILL IT?

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2018 17:46
YES
51%
NO
18%
WHAT A STUPID QUESTION.
23%
IAN ROYAL
8%

Total votes: 84
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Will going down be a bad thing? poll added.

by windermereROYAL » 04 Oct 2018 15:54

Yes still early days but nothings seems to change does it? with a likely defeat at the baggies on Saturday we could arguably be back in the bottom 3
5 wins in 2018 is a shameful stat and unless improvement is forthcoming we will almost certainly be playing league 1 football next season.

But the question is, will this be such a bad thing? since our last relegation from the PL its been a perennial struggle, 7th 19th. 17th lucky 3rd (not my words but the general consensus) and 20th,
Seriously something as to give, we can`t keep struggling year on year, if we stay up what will change? another struggle next year and the year after that?

I`m likely to get shot down but I feel a spell in the 3rd tier could do us good and maybe, just maybe we could come back as a stronger unit. Wigan Blackburn and to a lesser extent Rotherham are prime examples, of how the drop isn`t the disaster it could be.

in the worse case scenario we could tumble right through that league too, but I feel that`s pretty unlikely.

Winning more games is fairly likely , it will be good to walk away from the stadium with a smile and see others smiling too apart from the gloom and despair from 6 wins in 29 home games.

There would also be less taxing away games and possibly derby games against Oxford and Swindon if one manages to stay up and the other gets promoted.

I would prefer it obviously if we turned it around in this league, but I don`t see that happening anytime in the foreseeable future.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 08 Oct 2018 14:24, edited 2 times in total.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Will going down be a bad thing?

by Sanguine » 04 Oct 2018 16:27

Yes, it would be a bad thing. The specific 'problem' we have is not quite that our players aren't good enough, and I'd argue that Stam's squad was even better, but that they are under-performing. In the event that we go down, they all leave, almost to a man. Does Bodvarsson stay and play in League One when he has Iceland ambitions? Does Swift, who has obvious technical ability but needs better coaching, play in League One or does he join another Championship side? And Mannone, Moore, Ilori, O'Shea, Gunter, Yiadom, Barrow, Bacuna, Blackett. All Championship level players, or better.

If we go down, I'd say we're building a team around Walker, Omar Richards, maybe Gunts, Meite, McNulty, Callum Harriot, and maybe Aluko if no-one will have him, but we'd probably look to shed his wages. Less money coming into the club, which means half the matchday squad is from the academy.

None of this is necessarily a bad thing, but it would certainly be 'back to square one', with promotion not even visible in the distance.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 04 Oct 2018 16:39

It will be a bad thing if the owners and Gormlessly stay.

The sooner the pfuck off the better. I would not mind going down to L1 much, IF we make a success of it. Bring in Loader, Nova, Walker 1st team GK, Yiadom etc.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2018 16:47

yeah it'd be pretty rubbish really.

We could sort things out by shedding all the sh!t players without actually going down. I don't think it would necessarily be a disaster as such, but I personally wouldn't fancy watching L1 football for even a season

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 04 Oct 2018 16:50

Whether relegation hurts or helps you in the long run is 99% down to the finances of the club and owners. If they have the capacity and willingness to fund us whilst we're in League One it would probably be ok.

You can say we have players that are too good for the league and will leave, but ask yourself who would in the Championship would match our wages for players who have just been relegated? Obviously Moore goes but the rest of the squad? People at the end of their contracts will go (and with relegation release clauses) but otherwise I think most of them stay if they get the impression from the club that they are looking to bounce back.

Then we would actually have an opportunity to win games and get some success. A decent run through the season will give the manager (whoever they are) to establish a stable team and a winning mentality. Then when you go back up people start talking about you as the 'dark horse' and are able to attract those players looking for promotion.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Oct 2018 16:59

Elm Park Kid Whether relegation hurts or helps you in the long run is 99% down to the finances of the club and owners. If they have the capacity and willingness to fund us whilst we're in League One it would probably be ok.

You can say we have players that are too good for the league and will leave, but ask yourself who would in the Championship would match our wages for players who have just been relegated? Obviously Moore goes but the rest of the squad? People at the end of their contracts will go (and with relegation release clauses) but otherwise I think most of them stay if they get the impression from the club that they are looking to bounce back.

Then we would actually have an opportunity to win games and get some success. A decent run through the season will give the manager (whoever they are) to establish a stable team and a winning mentality. Then when you go back up people start talking about you as the 'dark horse' and are able to attract those players looking for promotion.

There's a lot of ifs in there. And sadly given only Gunter has any long-term affilitation with the club or the fans, I doubt many would be longing to stay should we go down.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Oct 2018 17:03

windermereROYAL Yes still early days but nothings seems to change does it? with a likely defeat at the baggies on Saturday we could arguably be back in the bottom 3
5 wins in 2018 is a shameful stat and unless improvement is forthcoming we will almost certainly be playing league 1 football next season.

I'm not even going to entertain responding to this topic with utter drivel posting like what I've just read here ^

What the hell are you on about you daft clown?

Hopeful

by Hopeful » 04 Oct 2018 17:10

Less income (gate receipts/merchandise) resulting in having to pay lower wages, means attracting a different type of player, plus being in lower League means we wouldn't be competitive in trying to get the players the fans crave.
In addition, reducing resources of club infrastructure (pitch maintenance/marketing/funding for academy) will have a knock-on effect, plus less coverage means less TV revenue, resulting in further reductions.

To counter some of this, the cost of "stuff" e.g. pints / programmes / merchandise would possibly go up.

On the plus side, it would mean more parking being available and perhaps easier queues at half-time to buy a pie. So, not all doom and gloom.
And we may win more than we lose. Then, again, we may not.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Oct 2018 17:12

John Smith
windermereROYAL Yes still early days but nothings seems to change does it? with a likely defeat at the baggies on Saturday we could arguably be back in the bottom 3

I'm not even going to entertain responding to this topic with utter drivel posting like what I've just read here ^

What the hell are you on about you daft clown?

That`s a bit rich coming from you. :D and BTW you did just respond .

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Oct 2018 17:17

Hopeful Less income (gate receipts/merchandise) resulting in having to pay lower wages, means attracting a different type of player, plus being in lower League means we wouldn't be competitive in trying to get the players the fans crave.
In addition, reducing resources of club infrastructure (pitch maintenance/marketing/funding for academy) will have a knock-on effect, plus less coverage means less TV revenue, resulting in further reductions.

To counter some of this, the cost of "stuff" e.g. pints / programmes / merchandise would possibly go up.

On the plus side, it would mean more parking being available and perhaps easier queues at half-time to buy a pie. So, not all doom and gloom.
And we may win more than we lose. Then, again, we may not.

Didn`t hurt the teams that went down the season before last too much did it? they all bounced back at the first time of asking. Of course it`s not a given.
I put this up for debate, as I said in my post I expected to be shot at,
Sticks and stones and all that, I don`t get upset by keyboard abuse.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Oct 2018 17:26

Kulshaw72RFC It will be a bad thing if the owners and Gormlessly stay.

The sooner the pfuck off the better. I would not mind going down to L1 much, IF we make a success of it. Bring in Loader, Nova, Walker 1st team GK, Yiadom etc.

Seriously can't see the likes of Yiadom staying, he's only been here a year, so isn't going to have a lot of loyalty to the club, and is clearly a Championship player. Why would Nova come back for a L1 club, I'm sure he'd get a better offer from another Dutch club?

The players that would stay are mostly the ones that wouldn't get a move elsewhere. With the exceptions of Kelly, McCleary, Gunter and Obita, there's nobody with long-term connections with the club, "loyalty" isn't going to play a big part in any decisions. Even Gunter, who comes across like he'd stay for ever if he was let, would move in a heartbeat if he thinks staying will jeopardise his chances of Wales call-ups.

The likes of Loader may well decide to move elsewhere also - the attraction of breaking into a L1 team is not as good as breaking into a Championship team, and given his PL2 scoring record, there's bound to be a club willing to take a punt.
So you'd mostly be left with the aging crocks and the ones who are too poor to get a move.

One possible plus as I see it is that Aluko may regard himself as above a L1 team, and sort himself out a move elsewhere. but who'd pay him what we are paying him, basing it on his performances so far this season?

The main benefit to being in L1 might be remembering what it's like to win games at home regularly - but what if we don't?

So yeah, it might be OK, but I reckon most of the players that stay would be the ones I never want to see again, whereas the players I like - they'd all be gone gone gone.

Still, a change is a good as a rest....

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Oct 2018 17:38

Add a poll.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Oct 2018 17:40

Yes. HTH.

Old Man Andrews

Re: Will going down be a bad thing? poll added.

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2018 17:56

As in all questions of this nature I can only go with Ian Royal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2018 18:42

I don't think it would have necessarily been in any of the last three seasons we struggled. But we've been poor for so long that it almost certainly will be bad. But I think we've been poor so long that relegation soonee or later is inevitable and we aren't going to be regularly back in the top half of the Championship until we've dropped and come back.

So I'd prefer we walk through the fire sooner rather than later. Because this is no fun at all. And we just might sort our shit out quicker and better than feared in an easier, lower division.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2018 18:47

Sanguine Yes, it would be a bad thing. The specific 'problem' we have is not quite that our players aren't good enough, and I'd argue that Stam's squad was even better, but that they are under-performing. In the event that we go down, they all leave, almost to a man. Does Bodvarsson stay and play in League One when he has Iceland ambitions? Does Swift, who has obvious technical ability but needs better coaching, play in League One or does he join another Championship side? And Mannone, Moore, Ilori, O'Shea, Gunter, Yiadom, Barrow, Bacuna, Blackett. All Championship level players, or better.

If we go down, I'd say we're building a team around Walker, Omar Richards, maybe Gunts, Meite, McNulty, Callum Harriot, and maybe Aluko if no-one will have him, but we'd probably look to shed his wages. Less money coming into the club, which means half the matchday squad is from the academy.

None of this is necessarily a bad thing, but it would certainly be 'back to square one', with promotion not even visible in the distance.

Interesting. You see a player exodus as a negative, whereas i see it as essential no matter the division.

Besides, an exodus on the level you describe is extremely unlikely. These players would all have to find Championship clubs who wanted them, were prepared to pay us for them and willing to offer them wages comparative to what they are stealing here. Simply won't happen for the majority.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Oct 2018 19:02

Snowflake Royal
Sanguine Yes, it would be a bad thing. The specific 'problem' we have is not quite that our players aren't good enough, and I'd argue that Stam's squad was even better, but that they are under-performing. In the event that we go down, they all leave, almost to a man. Does Bodvarsson stay and play in League One when he has Iceland ambitions? Does Swift, who has obvious technical ability but needs better coaching, play in League One or does he join another Championship side? And Mannone, Moore, Ilori, O'Shea, Gunter, Yiadom, Barrow, Bacuna, Blackett. All Championship level players, or better.

Interesting. You see a player exodus as a negative, whereas i see it as essential no matter the division.

Besides, an exodus on the level you describe is extremely unlikely. These players would all have to find Championship clubs who wanted them, were prepared to pay us for them and willing to offer them wages comparative to what they are stealing here. Simply won't happen for the majority.

The good ones find clubs and the shit ones stay.

That sounds promising.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Oct 2018 19:25

Relegation would be a disaster for the club. We have a core of awful players who are on long term contracts so we can't release them like that. I also couldn't see many clubs wanting to buy them. That leaves a number of players on big wages at a lower level. Those high wages could cripple the club.

Attendances would often be sub 10K as well making the former more likely. Lower league clubs rely more on gate reciepts to stay afloat and we'd be a smaller prospect for commercial sponsorship. We'd get next to no TV revenue either.

We'd have no guarantee of bouncing back. Yes your Wigan's, Blackburn's, Barnsley's, Norwich's, Wolves' have bounced back quickly but we'd have as much chance of going the other way like Pompey, Bradford, Charlton and Coventry have done.

It's out of the question, relegation would not be a good thing. Even if the owners could and would bankroll us, I don't think we'd necessarily shed the losing mentality we now have over 1 summer. Sunderland aren't ripping that league up exactly are they?
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 04 Oct 2018 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 04 Oct 2018 19:28

Do you think we could go into administration? I fear for the club if the clowns that "run" it are in charge still.

How disappointing would that be. 1 or 2 years before our 150th anniversary. What an utter disgrace and humilation this lot are. Tarnishing the good name of legends past.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Oct 2018 19:32

We`ve been there before I tend to disagree that the crowds will dip below 10,000. if we are having a bad season maybe, but if we are up there challenging fans will come to see a winning team.