BFTG Millwall Home

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Millwall Home

by Jack Celliers » 21 Oct 2018 11:41

It was a good team performance. Millwall were powerful but one dimensional. We coped defensively by having enough commitment to win or block the second ball so many times that them being superior aerially didn't matter so much. Also, our goalie played well, but we mustn't forget, after a season of Mannone, that goalkeepers should make some saves in a game - that is their job.

Jaakola 8 - very encouraging, especially the final catch of the game. If he can do that more he will be great for us.
Blackett 7 - looks better this season
Yiadom 7 - he's ok
Moore 7 - never stopped battling
Ilori 8 - man of the match, perhaps
Bacuna 7 - very competent, but looks better without both Swift and Kelly
Swift 8 - most of the good things came from him
Kelly 6 - quiet but not outclassed
Baldock 6 - great pen and kept the shape well.
Meite 8 - heartwarming performance
McCleary 6 - good to see him back and getting into dangerous areas in the first half

The penalty was a penalty. Perhaps people think it was dodgy because it was such an unexpected and senseless foul?

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 21 Oct 2018 11:42

It was a good team performance. Millwall were powerful but one dimensional. We coped defensively by having enough commitment to win or block the second ball so many times that them being superior aerially didn't matter so much. Also, our goalie played well, but we mustn't forget, after a season of Mannone, that goalkeepers should make some saves in a game - that is their job.

Jaakola 8 - very encouraging, especially the final catch of the game. If he can do that more he will be great for us.
Blackett 7 - looks better this season
Yiadom 7 - he's ok
Moore 7 - never stopped battling
Ilori 8 - man of the match, perhaps
Bacuna 7 - very competent, but looks better without both Swift and Kelly
Swift 8 - most of the good things came from him
Kelly 6 - quiet but not outclassed
Baldock 6 - great pen and kept the shape well.
Meite 8 - heartwarming performance
McCleary 6 - good to see him back and getting into dangerous areas in the first half

The penalty was a penalty. Perhaps people think it was dodgy because it was such an unexpected and senseless foul?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Oct 2018 13:45

Swift 8................................

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 21 Oct 2018 16:09

Did anyone else notice Meite after his first goal. Ran towards the away end going to give it large, he then seemed to have a Saul on the road to Damascus moment remembering who we were playing and wheeled away to Y25 Y26 instead. Quite amusing.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Oct 2018 19:09

RG7Fan Not much coverage on TV again. Also have you seen the Bristol City away kit - worse than QPR!

I quite liked that kit :oops: , what I don't get is why championship clubs are appreciated to have 3 strips....taking the piss a bit.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 21 Oct 2018 19:44

Snowflake Royal
OldBiscuit
Snowflake Royal Light years is a measure of distance not time. :wink:

Actually, it is just a cliche and used as a measure of ability. When used there will be someone or something happening to compare two or more parties, so that one could be said to be light years ahead of others.

Yes, I know how it is used figuratively, but still as a measure of distance to show how far apart they are, as in 'he is miles ahead'.

You wouldn't say how many miles would it take Gunter to win a pen, it makes no sense. You'd say how many games / years would it take Gunter to win a pen - time, not distance. Or you could say Gunter is miles behind Blackett in being able to win a pen. But that isn't what was said.

I really didn't think this was controvertial and would derail in need of an explanation.

Didn

Stop waffling, your miles out (sorry about the pun), it's a comparision measure, not a measure of time or distance, and that's it, there's nothing much more to say.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Oct 2018 20:21

I think if Millwall had carried on with the passing game where they dominated for the first 25 minutes we could well have lost the game but fortunately they didn't.
26 attempts plus 14 corners for an away side is exceptional especially for a side near the relegation places but goals win matches of course and the dodgy penalty came just at the right time.
Brilliant (unexpected) performance from Jakkola and for once an end result from Meite who worked tirelessly and fully deserved his rewards.

We lack quality but if Clement can chop and change and get those selected to give everything then we can survive this season.
A shame to hear him dismiss Barrow in his BBCRB interview and I guess his (Barrow's) days are numbered.
At long last the manager has had the balls to drop Aluko and Gunter-whether (as before the Hull game) his decisions were taken out of desperation and a gamble to keep his job we will never know but if he stays I hope he becomes a lucky manager.

The spirit of yesterday will be needed in spades for the next 2 games but it is a pleasure to come on here and praise the effort rather than (deservedly on most occasions) bemoan the lack of it.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Oct 2018 20:37

I know it doesn't behoove folks on here to enjoy when things work out for us but how anyone can say there was doubt about the penalty is beyond me. Admittedly I didn't see it in real time as I was queuing for a pint but seeing it on the limited highlights it was as clear as you like, although it was pretty much the only decision the ref gave us all day.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Oct 2018 20:42

Silver Fox I know it doesn't behoove folks on here to enjoy when things work out for us but how anyone can say there was doubt about the penalty is beyond me. Admittedly I didn't see it in real time as I was queuing for a pint but seeing it on the limited highlights it was as clear as you like, although it was pretty much the only decision the ref gave us all day.

Those highlights that lasted for about a minute covering the whole game?
But it was the one decision that mattered-thank goodness.
All around us in the East Stand were surprised...but delighted.

BTW nice biblical but misspelt word "behoove" for a Sunday. :wink:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Oct 2018 21:07

Looked like the defender got a good chunk of the ball in real time tbh, might have been a bit soft, but it certainly makes up for the last minute stone wall pen at the den last season.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Oct 2018 00:18

windermereROYAL Looked like the defender got a good chunk of the ball in real time tbh, might have been a bit soft, but it certainly makes up for the last minute stone wall pen at the den last season.

Haven't seen any highlights but in real time it was very soft. It looked like the defender got the ball pretty cleanly from where I sat but as you say who cares?!

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Oct 2018 08:58

Looking at the replays this morning it does looks more of a pen,, he comes in from the side, looks like he makes the ball but then goes through the side of Blackett, there is a second motion which scissors his trailing leg which brings Blackett down.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Oct 2018 09:02

It was a pen but I have definitely seen them not given. It really wound the Millwall supporters up too which was a lovely sight to see.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Oct 2018 09:09

It was a good win! We need to be beating the teams around us and we did that. Let's not get carried away though, a more clinical side would have scored at least 3 goals in the first half and we would have lost. We need to improve how we play when we're not in possession. That said, if we can grind out the odd win out here and there then we will be fine. Millwall gifted us 2 of those goals but we did our job seeing it out.

Jaakola - 8. Played very well. Should keep his place for the 2 away games up this week. Distribution was disappointing or he would have got a 10
Yiadom - 8. Very good again. Him and McCleary had a great understanding
Moore- 7. Solid game, didn't do lots wrong
Ilori - 7. Same as Moore. Did some clever forward passes
Blackett - 8. Played ok. Gets an extra point for assisting in 2 of the goals. Brilliant cross for the 1st, it's a shame he doesn't have the pace or trickery as he'd be a great winger if he did.
McCleary - 7. Played fairly well. So glad to see him back in the side. We've missed him a lot. Be interesting to see if he gets back his form of 2 years ago.
Swift- 5. A bit pants
Kelly - 6. Ok
Bacuna - 6. Some good runs but gave Millwall the ball back frequently which led to us being under pressure.
Meite - 9. MoM (Just). Excellent first goal. Showed potential and why he got a 4 year contract. Put in the 3rd nicely after poor Millwall defending. Worked hard all game.
Baldock- 7. Didn't notice him much. Well taken penalty so gets an extra point.

Subs
Gunter - 7
Rinomhota - 6
McNulty - 5

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2018 09:23

I'm too latte to post a full BFTG but I want to focus on something I really liked during the game.

The tactical switch. As it was happening I thought "that is exactly the right thing to do, well done Clement"

A switch to a back 3 was the perfect thing to do at that point in the game as not only did it pack the box that Millwall were desperately chucking balls into, it also put our full backs further out to close down the crossing faster.

I did have one issue which was why switch Yiadom to left back when he had his man pocketed all game but Clement seems to think Gunter is incapable on the left (despite him often producing better football when there)

Also lol at all the low marks for Swift. He was playing a number 10 role... so marking him down for not tracking back is thick as shit. He was clearly told not to. It wasn't a phenomenal performance but he did what he was asked to do in a team that struggled to retain possession for most of the game. A 7 would be fair.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Oct 2018 09:36

NewCorkSeth I'm too latte to post a full BFTG but I want to focus on something I really liked during the game.

The tactical switch. As it was happening I thought "that is exactly the right thing to do, well done Clement"

A switch to a back 3 was the perfect thing to do at that point in the game as not only did it pack the box that Millwall were desperately chucking balls into, it also put our full backs further out to close down the crossing faster.

I did have one issue which was why switch Yiadom to left back when he had his man pocketed all game but Clement seems to think Gunter is incapable on the left (despite him often producing better football when there)

Also lol at all the low marks for Swift. He was playing a number 10 role... so marking him down for not tracking back is thick as shit. He was clearly told not to. It wasn't a phenomenal performance but he did what he was asked to do in a team that struggled to retain possession for most of the game. A 7 would be fair.

Brave decision from Clement. If Millwall had equalised he would have got real stick for switching the formation.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2018 09:39

Sutekh
NewCorkSeth I'm too latte to post a full BFTG but I want to focus on something I really liked during the game.

Brave decision from Clement. If Millwall had equalised he would have got real stick for switching the formation.

Our commentators alluded to that as well but I thought it was a great decision to nullify Millwall who (yes they cut through the middle once) were only really attacking from their right flank. Even the player he chose to take off was correct.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Oct 2018 09:53

NewCorkSeth
Sutekh

Our commentators alluded to that as well but I thought it was a great decision to nullify Millwall who (yes they cut through the middle once) were only really attacking from their right flank. Even the player he chose to take off was correct.

Brave decisions all round i think. An off form light weight Kelly, McCleary and former scapegoat Blackett all starting - could have really back fired. No Barrow in the squad (i think he has got lazy and sulky recently). Then bringing on current scapegoat Gunter, the meltdown would have been biblical if we lost points.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Oct 2018 09:53

NewCorkSeth
Sutekh

Brave decisions all round i think. An off form light weight Kelly, McCleary and former scapegoat Blackett all starting - could have really back fired. No Barrow in the squad (i think he has got lazy and sulky recently). Then bringing on current scapegoat Gunter, the meltdown would have been biblical if we lost points.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Oct 2018 10:53

I can’t agree on Swift. He did track back on one occasion and just about got a tackle in. On another occasion he completely failed to track back. It was the same Millwall player that was running through so it seemed Swift was responsible for marking him. You can’t have it both ways. Besides how do you know he was told not to track back? It wasn’t just about that. He was caught in possession at times and was too slow. He did one decent through ball to Meite and it was his pass to Blackett that led to the pen but overall he didn’t do much.