BFTG Millwall Home

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Millwall Home

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Oct 2018 11:06

I feel a bit for Swift .
As with Guthrie and Norwood before him he suffers from the lack of movement from other midfielders and strikers who don't readily make themselves available for a pass.
Baldock does make some good runs but otherwise players are too static and the ball ends up too often with one of our defenders who then try the Hoddle/Beckenbauer ball......but into touch.

This is a poor side but if the spirit of Saturday is maintained we might stay in this division for next season.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Oct 2018 11:08

Danny Guthrie deserves absolutely no sympathy from anyone. What a totally mad thing to suggest.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Oct 2018 11:10

Victor Meldrew I feel a bit for Swift .
As with Guthrie and Norwood before him he suffers from the lack of movement from other midfielders and strikers who don't readily make themselves available for a pass.
Baldock does make some good runs but otherwise players are too static and the ball ends up too often with one of our defenders who then try the Hoddle/Beckenbauer ball......but into touch.

This is a poor side but if the spirit of Saturday is maintained we might stay in this division for next season.

Yes I do too. I like Swift. On his day he is a very good player at this level and a Ezatolahi/Bacuna/Swift midfield should be fine. You are right about the lack of movement. He does lack options at times and that isn’t good enough.
Having said that I still question his fitness levels. He looks so laboured at times. His passing is also erratic.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2018 11:23

Zip
NewCorkSeth I'm too latte to post a full BFTG but I want to focus on something I really liked during the game.

The tactical switch. As it was happening I thought "that is exactly the right thing to do, well done Clement"

A switch to a back 3 was the perfect thing to do at that point in the game as not only did it pack the box that Millwall were desperately chucking balls into, it also put our full backs further out to close down the crossing faster.

I did have one issue which was why switch Yiadom to left back when he had his man pocketed all game but Clement seems to think Gunter is incapable on the left (despite him often producing better football when there)

Also lol at all the low marks for Swift. He was playing a number 10 role... so marking him down for not tracking back is thick as shit. He was clearly told not to. It wasn't a phenomenal performance but he did what he was asked to do in a team that struggled to retain possession for most of the game. A 7 would be fair.

I can’t agree on Swift. He did track back on one occasion and just about got a tackle in. On another occasion he completely failed to track back. It was the same Millwall player that was running through so it seemed Swift was responsible for marking him. You can’t have it both ways. Besides how do you know he was told not to track back? It wasn’t just about that. He was caught in possession at times and was too slow. He did one decent through ball to Meite and it was his pass to Blackett that led to the pen but overall he didn’t do much.

I would argue that the time he tracked back was him deciding he could get the tackle in rather than instructions from the manager.

The reason I believe he was clearly asked to not track back and only press players around the centre circle is for several reasons.

1: Clement knows Swift. He doesn't have the pace to press everywhere. He's a championship version of Christian Eriksen. Poch plays a high pressing game and the one player he doesn't ask to press is Eriksen as he needs to be free to receive and lay off balls. Swift should (and imo is) be played as a false 10 drifting around the opposition half, pulling layers out of position and looking to bring through faster teammates.

2: Clement would not tolerate a player doing the opposite of his instructions every week. If Swift is told to track back but never does then Clement could not continue to play him. Not only would it undermine his authority it would also completely oxf*rd over the teams tactics. It would be like a goalkeeper continually passing it out from the back despite being told to go long and all the team in front of him lined up to go long. He would be dropped.

3: From my viewing of the game. Not only does Swift position himself in a way that clearly shows he's there to counter attack and retain possession but also none of his teammates ever have a go at him. Several times this season we have seen Bacuna, Yiadom, Ilori to name a few shout or get shouted at by their teammates for passes/positioning. Why would they not treat a player refusing to do what he was instructed to do similarly? No he's not shouted at on the pitch for not tracking back because they know he isn't supposed to.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 22 Oct 2018 11:24

Old Man Andrews Danny Guthrie deserves absolutely no sympathy from anyone. What a totally mad thing to suggest.

+100000.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Oct 2018 11:25

muirinho
Old Man Andrews Danny Guthrie deserves absolutely no sympathy from anyone. What a totally mad thing to suggest.

+100000.

Arguably the laziest footballer I have seen in over 30 years supporting the club.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Oct 2018 11:43

Jaakkola has the shirt, as far as I'm concerned he's now our first choice keeper - Kept us in the game

McCleary - So many good crosses into the box, unlike other wingers we have he doesn't feel the need to cut inside every time. Bodvarsson must have been watching relishing the chance to play up front with McClearly pinging then in.

Meite - 2 goals, Keep that up and the doubters will be won over.

The main positive is that we were not afraid to go forward and attack.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2018 11:43

Swift is a decent player, but benefits massively from having Eza sitting in behind him

Eza, Bacuna and Swift is a good midfield at this level and will win us games. The problem is Kelly and Meyler aren't currently up to the standard required. Kelly is ok as cover for Swift/Bacuna but would not want him starting regularly

Meyler really should be able to cover the Eza role, but is clearly on pi$$ poor form at the moment

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Oct 2018 12:45

Am not suggesting sympathy for Guthrie, my point was simply a footballing one about playing in midfield.
If you have ever played there you will know that it is very much about moving the ball on to players who are available.
Good ball-players like Norwood, Guthrie and now Swift look worse on the pitch because of the lack of movement and awareness shown by others.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Oct 2018 13:05

Victor Meldrew

Am not suggesting sympathy for Guthrie, my point was simply a footballing one about playing in midfield.
If you have ever played there you will know that it is very much about moving the ball on to players who are available.
Good ball-players like Norwood, Guthrie and now Swift look worse on the pitch because of the lack of movement and awareness shown by others.

Movement is a problem with this team and has been for some time. If you are going to play possession football tempo and movement is vital.

Baldock seems an intelligent player in that respect as is Bodvarsson.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Oct 2018 13:18

leon
Victor Meldrew

Movement is a problem with this team and has been for some time. If you are going to play possession football tempo and movement is vital.

Baldock seems an intelligent player in that respect as is Bodvarsson.

I do like McNultys movement, albeit he hasn't played that many minutes.
Would say the dynamic on the wings is the problem. When your wingers are either pushing far too high (barrow) or not keeping his position (aluko) you look at your options and instantly isolated. You watch swift when he gets the ball he wants to either drive into the space if its there or pass it to the wings. Once we get some discipline in the wide positions the team plays better.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Oct 2018 14:16

Victor Meldrew

Matějovský also suffered from this.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Oct 2018 15:06

Old Man Andrews It was a pen but I have definitely seen them not given. It really wound the Millwall supporters up too which was a lovely sight to see.

TBF it didn't take much to rattLOLe them

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Oct 2018 15:21

Silver Fox
Old Man Andrews It was a pen but I have definitely seen them not given. It really wound the Millwall supporters up too which was a lovely sight to see.

Never does

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Oct 2018 15:25

3points
Silver Fox

Never does

They were relatively happy until the penalty. Their anger really increased when the big litre bottle of Lucozade got chucked in at them just after Baldock scored. The cheeky scamp who threw it left the lid off and it soaked about 5 people.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Oct 2018 19:46

Old Man Andrews
3points
Silver Fox

Never does

They were relatively happy until the penalty. Their anger really increased when the big litre bottle of Lucozade got chucked in at them just after Baldock scored. The cheeky scamp who threw it left the lid off and it soaked about 5 people.

No harm caused then :lol: a sticky situation for opposition players and fans

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2018 21:58

NewCorkSeth I'm too latte to post a full BFTG but I want to focus on something I really liked during the game.

The tactical switch. As it was happening I thought "that is exactly the right thing to do, well done Clement"

A switch to a back 3 was the perfect thing to do at that point in the game as not only did it pack the box that Millwall were desperately chucking balls into, it also put our full backs further out to close down the crossing faster.

I did have one issue which was why switch Yiadom to left back when he had his man pocketed all game but Clement seems to think Gunter is incapable on the left (despite him often producing better football when there)

Also lol at all the low marks for Swift. He was playing a number 10 role... so marking him down for not tracking back is thick as shit. He was clearly told not to. It wasn't a phenomenal performance but he did what he was asked to do in a team that struggled to retain possession for most of the game. A 7 would be fair.

Not sure how you could be sure Swift wasn't told to track back just because he was playing No. 10 when he doesn't regardless. Also, I disagree with the fundamental argument that a No 10. shouldn't be tracking back. The whole team needs to work at defending from the front to the back.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2018 22:25

Snowflake Royal

Not sure how you could be sure Swift wasn't told to track back just because he was playing No. 10 when he doesn't regardless. Also, I disagree with the fundamental argument that a No 10. shouldn't be tracking back. The whole team needs to work at defending from the front to the back.

Read my other post.

Don't be naive Ian. Not every team that plays a number 10 asks them to defend or even track back. There are many tactics that require a man to give up on defending for the good of the team. Look at Hazard this season for example. I was not suggesting ALL number 10s don't track back but that AS a number 10 it is understandable that he doesn't track back.. it's much like many defensive mids don't carry the ball forward but some do.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 22 Oct 2018 22:53

Forbury Lion Jaakkola has the shirt, as far as I'm concerned he's now our first choice keeper - Kept us in the game

I agree

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Oct 2018 23:57

Old Man Andrews
3points
Silver Fox

Never does

Interesting that you say it was Lucozade. Someone else thought it was Fanta. I must admit my first thought as it sailed past me was that it was Lucozade. :)

It certainly made quite a loud thwack as it hit the wall near the away fans exit. I expected an excitable reaction but there was a lot more after we scored the penalty. Ugly scenes. For no apparent reason really. Calm down fellas

It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:55