BFTG Millwall Home

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Millwall Home

by URZZZZ » 20 Oct 2018 20:42

Good result against a limited yet dangerous side at the same time. Agree with comments re Barrow, it's embarrassing how Blackett can get the same amount of assists in one game than Aluko and Barrow can combined through the season. However, Blackett was still shaky defensively. I think it was his man for the goal for the initial flick down, the header onto the crossbar from Elliot and the one on one early on. Creates a little bit of a dilemma for Clement, especially against better sides. Nonetheless, overall I was happy with his performance. Midfield three were poor today, like to see Meyler in for Kelly on Tuesday. Meite and Jaakkola proved a lot of people wrong today, including myself and both deserve to keep their place. Finally, will be good to see Bod return to the squad, him in place of Mcnulty and Harriott in place of Aluko and I think we've got a strong 18 again

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Oct 2018 20:51

muirinho
3points I’ve been saying for ages that Barrow is part of the problem. He’s wasteful going forward and poor defensively. Compare him to McCleary who’s positional sense is so much better. .

3points . Great to see Blackett getting some plaudits today as well. I think the fans have been overly harsh on him in the past but he’s clearly talented and showed today he’s happy to have a scrap and a battle when needed (plus he has a sweet left foot Anderson the s3cond goal he’s created this season from a great cross).

Actually think these two things are related - if you think about Aluko on the other side, he's even worse than Barrow.

Our full backs were regularly getting slated last season because they were being pulled all over the place, because of the poor tracking of the wingers in front of them. And this season was more of the same. Last couple of games I saw, I was moaning about Barrow constantly either being nowhere to be seen, or else he was following the ball, and trying to tackle the same guy Yiadom was tackling, leaving the other winger/fullback completely free. It was so obvious at Brentford I was wondering if he'd been told to double up, so I was blaming Clement!

I wonder if Obita could play in front of Blackett when he comes back in? I thought Baldock did well today, but is he really a winger?

This. The entire midfield has been piss weak down the middle and the wings. Mccleary was always good defensively as were all our best wingers.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Oct 2018 21:09

PieEater Well that was a nice 3 pts, we rode our luck and somehow came away with a win. It was pretty even before Meite scored, a nice move, cross and header into the corner. Before that it looked like they'd take one of the many chances that fell their way. After the goal we just sat back and let them play, they had chances but the goal from a corner landed on his toe to whack in - it was coming.

Somehow we got a second from a dodgy penalty, it's one of those you'd complain if given against but we'll take what little luck we've had this year where we can. After that it was backs to the wall defending, and a couple of great saves from Jaakkola kept us in it. The third killed it, hats off to Meite who previously had showed potential but not delivered, finally he did.

Good game from Blackett (yes!) Swift and Jaakkola and of course Meite.

If I was a Millwall fan I'd be miffed at the score line given their chances and how much they dominated.

Pfft.. even game my ass. They battered us until we somehow scored. They should have been 2 or 3 up at HT. We deserved 3 or 4 goals in the 2nd half

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 20 Oct 2018 21:27

Well that was far more enjoyable than being battered for 80 odd mins should be! Delighted to see Meite play so well, I’ve always rated him....but previously this has been because he works so damn hard and clearly loves playing for us, regardless of the quality of his output. Today he showed that quality. A few more games like that and the four year contract starts to make sense. As others have said, we need more players like him and Bod who give everything in every game.

The other revelation today was Jaakkola. I was disheartened when I saw the team. I’d seen Jaakkola a few times for us under Stam and never, ever rated him. Proved me wrong today though!

As for the rest, Blackett was excellent and needs to stay at LB for the foreseable future. We looked so much more balanced with him there. Swift was infruriating again....some lovely touches and intelligent passes, but he still looks like he is struggling with one of his many injuries. He always seems to be playing at about 75% these days. I do wonder about his future at this level, purely based on his fitness. Great to see GMac back, but most of his work was defensive. It certainly helped, but we needed more of a creative outlet at times and after so long out, he clearly wasn’t fully fit. Amazed the subs worked, I was raging about all 3 of them but PC got it right today. I was very happy to be so wrong.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 20 Oct 2018 21:33

Never seen a team drop 2 keepers within 2 months on form alone. :lol:

Well played Jaakola. Deserves to keep his place now.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 20 Oct 2018 22:07

Woodcote Royal They weren’t mugged, we got ahead and the whole team defended for their lives to earn a well deserved 3pts.

The margins between the best and worst in this division are very fine and today we did the basic well and took a fair percentage of chances that came our way while Millwall didn’t.

They put in a lot of effort while missing too many chances and conceding three.

Our No3 keeper put in a man of the match performance and is surely now our No1!

Meanwhile, no one was having a bad game and Meite his best for us so far.

I would give Blackett a special mention. For a player who has taken so much stick he was excellent today defending and going forward.

He made the cross for the first goal and, unless I’m mistaken, won the penalty for the second. How many light years would it take for Gunter to win a pen :D

I was delighted not to see Aluko start or come off the bench but how he got that spot ahead of Barrow beggars belief.

Agreed

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 20 Oct 2018 22:08

alfie9 Never seen a team drop 2 keepers within 2 months on form alone. :lol:

Well played Jaakola. Deserves to keep his place now.

Our under 15 keeper must be licking his lips at this rate!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2018 22:12

Woodcote Royal They weren’t mugged, we got ahead and the whole team defended for their lives to earn a well deserved 3pts.

The margins between the best and worst in this division are very fine and today we did the basic well and took a fair percentage of chances that came our way while Millwall didn’t.

I would give Blackett a special mention. For a player who has taken so much stick he was excellent today defending and going forward.

He made the cross for the first goal and, unless I’m mistaken, won the penalty for the second. How many light years would it take for Gunter to win a pen :D

I was delighted not to see Aluko start or come off the bench but how he got that spot ahead of Barrow beggars belief.

Light years is a measure of distance not time. :wink:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Oct 2018 22:18

Some points....

Blackett put in a very good performance today
We looked really balanced and solid on the right (attacking and defending) with McCleary and Yiadom working ad a proper pair.
Jaakola's shot-stopping was ace
Bacuna/Kelly/Swift js not a great combo
Millwall should be livid losing that 3-1

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Oct 2018 22:48

alfie9 Never seen a team drop 2 keepers within 2 months on form alone. :lol:

Both injured. :roll:

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 21 Oct 2018 00:03

What ever you have in life you need good luck and we certainly had some good fortune today especially with the penalty. Today was the first game I’ve enjoyed this season (missed Hull) great game great fun good atmosphere.

Jaakkola was a revelation what a game , that should be the keepers position sorted.

A precious three points let’s hope we kick on now

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Oct 2018 00:07

Pity SKY and Quest neglected to show the saves the keepers saves tonight..now if it been Leeds...

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Oct 2018 00:40

Gunny Fishcake What ever you have in life you need good luck and we certainly had some good fortune today especially with the penalty. Today was the first game I’ve enjoyed this season (missed Hull) great game great fun good atmosphere.

Jaakkola was a revelation what a game , that should be the keepers position sorted.

A precious three points let’s hope we kick on now

People said the same thing about Walker after a good game, he'll need a few good games before we can say that with any confidence.

GazzTheSpaz

by GazzTheSpaz » 21 Oct 2018 02:07

Woodcote Royal He made the cross for the first goal and, unless I’m mistaken, won the penalty for the second. How many light years would it take for Gunter to win a pen :D

Light years are a measure of distance, it's like saying you weigh 17 miles per hour :D

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Oct 2018 09:13

He weighs a damn sight more than that.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 21 Oct 2018 09:20

Snowflake Royal

Actually, it is just a cliche and used as a measure of ability. When used there will be someone or something happening to compare two or more parties, so that one could be said to be light years ahead of others.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2018 09:30

How bad was their marking for the 3rd goal? Unbelievably rubbish

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 21 Oct 2018 09:46

Hound How bad was their marking for the 3rd goal? Unbelievably rubbish

It was strange. In the run up to it being taken, Cooper was man marking Meite. As the corner came in, Meite stayed where he was and Cooper moved about 5 yards away from him moving inside instead of staying with his man. Perhaps now we understand why Stam wasn’t too despondent when he chose to leave

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Oct 2018 10:32

OldBiscuit
Snowflake Royal

Actually, it is just a cliche and used as a measure of ability. When used there will be someone or something happening to compare two or more parties, so that one could be said to be light years ahead of others.

Yes, I know how it is used figuratively, but still as a measure of distance to show how far apart they are, as in 'he is miles ahead'.

You wouldn't say how many miles would it take Gunter to win a pen, it makes no sense. You'd say how many games / years would it take Gunter to win a pen - time, not distance. Or you could say Gunter is miles behind Blackett in being able to win a pen. But that isn't what was said.

I really didn't think this was controvertial and would derail in need of an explanation.

Didn

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 21 Oct 2018 10:44

Not much coverage on TV again. Also have you seen the Bristol City away kit - worse than QPR!