BFTG Millwall Home

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Millwall Home

by bcubed » 23 Oct 2018 00:03

My view on Swift is that he has plenty of skill but is pretty lazy, doesn't track back, doesn't tackle much and worst of all he is too lightweight and gets knocked off the ball way too easily. I'm sure that's why Chelsea released him.

Really needs strong tacklers around him. Kelly doesn't qualify as one of those and Bacuna is not much better. So it was hardly surprising we were overrun in midfield

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Oct 2018 07:22

Which is why you need Eza in there. Big lump who can dominate

Re: Swift and #10. Wouldn’t have him tracking back as long as he is pressing when they have possession. Big ask to do both

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Oct 2018 08:32

bcubed
Old Man Andrews
3points Never does

They were relatively happy until the penalty. Their anger really increased when the big litre bottle of Lucozade got chucked in at them just after Baldock scored. The cheeky scamp who threw it left the lid off and it soaked about 5 people.

Interesting that you say it was Lucozade. Someone else thought it was Fanta. I must admit my first thought as it sailed past me was that it was Lucozade. :)

It certainly made quite a loud thwack as it hit the wall near the away fans exit. I expected an excitable reaction but there was a lot more after we scored the penalty. Ugly scenes. For no apparent reason really. Calm down fellas
Could have been a Lucozade or Fanta bottle but possibly filled with urine

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Oct 2018 08:35

Forbury Lion
bcubed
Old Man Andrews
They were relatively happy until the penalty. Their anger really increased when the big litre bottle of Lucozade got chucked in at them just after Baldock scored. The cheeky scamp who threw it left the lid off and it soaked about 5 people.

Interesting that you say it was Lucozade. Someone else thought it was Fanta. I must admit my first thought as it sailed past me was that it was Lucozade. :)

It certainly made quite a loud thwack as it hit the wall near the away fans exit. I expected an excitable reaction but there was a lot more after we scored the penalty. Ugly scenes. For no apparent reason really. Calm down fellas
Could have been a Lucozade or Fanta bottle but possibly filled with urine

Can someone track down that Mockney oxf*rd in the flat cap who felt the full brunt of the impact? It was deeply satisfying to see him wringing his flat cap out just before half time.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Oct 2018 08:45

alfie9 Never seen a team drop 2 keepers within 2 months on form alone. :lol:
According to the club, they both picked up injuries.... unclear whether Jaakkola was the cause of those injuries or not :lol:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Oct 2018 08:48

Royal Rother He weighs a damn sight more than that.
If anything, higher speed = lower weight because thin people tend to run faster than fat people.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Oct 2018 09:27

Hound Which is why you need Eza in there. Big lump who can dominate

Re: Swift and #10. Wouldn’t have him tracking back as long as he is pressing when they have possession. Big ask to do both

Seth made the point about not expecting Swift to track back if he’s playing the ten role and it’s a valid point but it does mean that either Kelly or Bacuna must then do that tracking back instead. To have a midfield runner being allowed to run through into our penalty box with no one tracking back isn’t good enough.

Swift does need to work on the physical side of his game though as he is too easily knocked off the ball. He is never going to be a ball winner. However no reason why he can’t gain more bodily strength.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Oct 2018 09:35

Forbury Lion
If anything, higher speed = lower weight because thin people tend to run faster than fat people.

Tell that to sprinters v long distance runners - who do you think weighs more?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2018 09:42

Thank you for understanding the role he's being asked to play.

Anyone watch the Arsenal game last night? Ozil pressed in and around the centre circle but didn't track back unnesecarily which freed him up to be involved in the creation and completion of all 3 goals.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2018 09:48

Zip

Seth made the point about not expecting Swift to track back if he’s playing the ten role and it’s a valid point but it does mean that either Kelly or Bacuna must then do that tracking back instead. To have a midfield runner being allowed to run through into our penalty box with no one tracking back isn’t good enough.

Swift does need to work on the physical side of his game though as he is too easily knocked off the ball. He is never going to be a ball winner. However no reason why he can’t gain more bodily strength.

Thinking about it more do you remember when Kelly played Swifts position this season? He just stayed as far forward as possible contributing almost nothing (tbf Clement may have asked him to do this). That, imo, highlights that Swift actually does more than it often seems.

He's cautious in who he chases and why but does so when the game calls for it. He hovers around between 2 players near the centre circle when the opponents have the ball in our half (I think he was doing this when he released that fabulous ball for Meite against Millwall) so that they can't keep possession too easily. It's a small defensive role but someone has to do it (imo)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Oct 2018 10:02

NewCorkSeth
Zip

Thinking about it more do you remember when Kelly played Swifts position this season? He just stayed as far forward as possible contributing almost nothing (tbf Clement may have asked him to do this). That, imo, highlights that Swift actually does more than it often seems.

He's cautious in who he chases and why but does so when the game calls for it. He hovers around between 2 players near the centre circle when the opponents have the ball in our half (I think he was doing this when he released that fabulous ball for Meite against Millwall) so that they can't keep possession too easily. It's a small defensive role but someone has to do it (imo)

I think Clement tinkers with the Swift and Kelly roles. On Saturday Kelly was far more advanced in the second half and it was he who was pressing Millwall and forcing them to play back towards their keeper. I’m not a Kelly fan but he did that effectively.

I think the biggest problem is that both Kelly and Swift are physically weak. Neither are ball winners. Swift is in the side for his creativity. I’m not sure whether Kelly is good enough at Championship level. Playing them both in midfield becomes an issue and we tend to be outmuscled.

Going forward the Ezatolahi/Bacuna/Swift combination gives us that protection and physicality at CDM to allow Swift free reign to focus on what he does best. We just need to keep all three fit at the same time.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2018 10:12

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip

I think Clement tinkers with the Swift and Kelly roles. On Saturday Kelly was far more advanced in the second half and it was he who was pressing Millwall and forcing them to play back towards their keeper. I’m not a Kelly fan but he did that effectively.

I think the biggest problem is that both Kelly and Swift are physically weak. Neither are ball winners. Swift is in the side for his creativity. I’m not sure whether Kelly is good enough at Championship level. Playing them both in midfield becomes an issue and we tend to be outmuscled.

Going forward the Ezatolahi/Bacuna/Swift combination gives us that protection and physicality at CDM to allow Swift free reign to focus on what he does best. We just need to keep all three fit at the same time.

Oh I completely agree. Swift has bulked up and can make the wrong decision from time to time when closed down but is the only player in our team capable of pulling off something magical with his close control.

It's easy to forget Ezatolahi has shown real talent on the ball as well. He's not just a "tough tackling, no nonsense" defensive mid. He's shown far more quality in depth than that and could really turn out to be our key midfielder if his performances stay consistent.

With those 3 on the pitch we have buckets of creativity coming from the central positions and some real determination from Bacuna who, despite some sporadic performances, really does show quite a lot of desire.

If those 3 stay fit all season we never have to think about centre midfield again. Kelly is fine as a sub and Meyler might be able to step back up to the plate.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Oct 2018 10:36

NewCorkSeth
Zip
NewCorkSeth Thinking about it more do you remember when Kelly played Swifts position this season? He just stayed as far forward as possible contributing almost nothing (tbf Clement may have asked him to do this). That, imo, highlights that Swift actually does more than it often seems.

Oh I completely agree. Swift has bulked up and can make the wrong decision from time to time when closed down but is the only player in our team capable of pulling off something magical with his close control.

It's easy to forget Ezatolahi has shown real talent on the ball as well. He's not just a "tough tackling, no nonsense" defensive mid. He's shown far more quality in depth than that and could really turn out to be our key midfielder if his performances stay consistent.

With those 3 on the pitch we have buckets of creativity coming from the central positions and some real determination from Bacuna who, despite some sporadic performances, really does show quite a lot of desire.

If those 3 stay fit all season we never have to think about centre midfield again. Kelly is fine as a sub and Meyler might be able to step back up to the plate.

Yep agreed. Ezatolahi also gives us height and greater ability to win aerial challenges. We finally have the midfield we need to push on.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Oct 2018 10:52

CountryRoyal
Forbury Lion

Tell that to sprinters v long distance runners - who do you think weighs more?
An exception to the rule, One look at Woodcote Royal and you'd know he's neither a sprinter nor a long distance runner.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Oct 2018 11:12

:lol: :lol:

Lydia Dustbin

by Lydia Dustbin » 23 Oct 2018 12:42

Weldun boys a grate win very plesed to get 3 gaols

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 23 Oct 2018 16:05

oldebiscuit
Snowflake Royal
OldBiscuit
Actually, it is just a cliche and used as a measure of ability. When used there will be someone or something happening to compare two or more parties, so that one could be said to be light years ahead of others.

Yes, I know how it is used figuratively, but still as a measure of distance to show how far apart they are, as in 'he is miles ahead'.

You wouldn't say how many miles would it take Gunter to win a pen, it makes no sense. You'd say how many games / years would it take Gunter to win a pen - time, not distance. Or you could say Gunter is miles behind Blackett in being able to win a pen. But that isn't what was said.

I really didn't think this was controvertial and would derail in need of an explanation.

Didn

Stop waffling, your miles out (sorry about the pun), it's a comparision measure, not a measure of time or distance, and that's it, there's nothing much more to say.

Nope. Ian's right. It's a measure of distance, typically used in space.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 23 Oct 2018 16:11

Lydia Dustbin Weldun boys a grate win very plesed to get 3 gaols

Predictive text or are you just Gangster? 8)