Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a) sponsored by Nigel Adkins last game

by Sutekh » 20 Oct 2018 19:12

Wr

When : Tuesday 23rd October, 7.45pm
Where : St Andrews, Birmingham, B9 4RL
Capacity : 30,016
Away Stand : Gil Merrick Stand (lower tier)

Birmingham City are due a beating. Birmingham City are exceptionally difficult to beat. Birmingham City have not lost a game since a trip to Bolton Wanderers on 22nd August and so are sitting happily in mid table on 17 points and enjoying an unbeaten run now of 9 games. However they don’t win many either with 8 of their points coming from stalemates although they have won both of their last 2 games. This, of course, is what Birmingham need as they could well be staring a severe pointage penalty from the FL before Christmas for being naughty under FFP restrictions.

Reading are now on a winning run themselves have managed to overcome Millwall at the weekend and so someone’s winning run has to give. Reading also have another demon to overcome as their run of just 2 wins in 28 away midweek league games is spectacularly awful and will take quite something to improve.

Looks like Birmingham have no injury concerns while Reading will be without Edwards, O’Shea, Popa, Walker, Obita, Richards, Clement and Ezatolahi. In addition Mannone may also still be feeling a problem with his ankle injury but in the bright side at least Bodvarsson should be able to play some part even if it’s only from the bench

Referee

Tony Harrington from Cleveland steps up for this one

Previously...

24-Feb-18 > Reading 3-3 Derby County
16-Sep-18 > Brentford 1-1 Reading
21-Feb-17 > Huddersfield Town 1-0 Reading
10-Dec-16 > Reading 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday
06-Feb-16 > Reading 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
29-Sep-15 > Burnley 1-2 Reading
01-Oct-14 > Reading 0-0 Leeds United

Historically

It took Reading until 1986 before they managed a league game with Birmingham and of the first nine league games played between the sides, seven ended in draws. To me it just seems that the fixture has subsequently struggled with an air of dour tedium ever since.

That said Reading do seem to do slightly better against the Blues in their own back yard as opposed to playing in Reading as the Royals have recorded as many wins as Birmingham's (six).

Usually there are goals in this game and a clean sheet for either side is a bit unlikely and who would bet against a draw?

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to St Andrew's
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM ; 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4, BBC iPlayer Radio (other radio apps are available ))
  6. Sky red button

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a) sponsored by Nigel Adkins last game

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 20 Oct 2018 21:53

thanks

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 20 Oct 2018 22:08

2-1 rfc

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Oct 2018 10:06

Both sides to come from behind to draw

1-0
1-1
1-2
2-2

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2018 15:42

Be more than happy with a draw here. Been playing well have Birmingham

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Oct 2018 18:07

Not an easy game, fancy us more on Tuesday than away at Swansea.

Would take a point, think we can go nick a win there though. Will go 2-1 to us

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Oct 2018 18:33

One of the toughest games we'll face in a while, Birmingham are unbeaten at home since the 6th March with a 1-0 defeat to Middlesbrough. Saying that, we do have a decent away record this season so should be a close game. As to the 11, Sims for Mccleary would be the obvious choice if Mccleary can't play twice in four days but I wouldn't be surprised to see Aluko back in either. Hopefully Bod and O'Shea will be back for the bench and I wouldn't complain to see Meyler in for Kelly/Swift who flattered to decieve yet again yesterday. 1-1 draw with a late leveller from Bodvarsson

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 21 Oct 2018 19:03

£10 a ticket

Couple of hours up the road. Should take a few to this

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Oct 2018 19:12

Royality creeps In £10 a ticket

Couple of hours up the road. Should take a few to this

Excellent.....I'm in Solihull, think I've just arranged my evening :)

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Oct 2018 20:32

Game should be on the Sky red button as there is a Championship game being televised.
Much will depend upon how we handle Lukiewic (sp?) and the lively Jota.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2018 21:30

URZZZZ One of the toughest games we'll face in a while, Birmingham are unbeaten at home since the 6th March with a 1-0 defeat to Middlesbrough. Saying that, we do have a decent away record this season so should be a close game. As to the 11, Sims for Mccleary would be the obvious choice if Mccleary can't play twice in four days but I wouldn't be surprised to see Aluko back in either. Hopefully Bod and O'Shea will be back for the bench and I wouldn't complain to see Meyler in for Kelly/Swift who flattered to decieve yet again yesterday. 1-1 draw with a late leveller from Bodvarsson

Brum are a difficult team to beat. It’s a tough game. A draw would be a good result. Think they will edge it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Oct 2018 01:18

Bit of a weird one, Birmingham have been drawing too many games but their 3 wins have come in the last 6 games and they're unbeaten in 9. I'd actually fancy our chances more against Swansea on Saturday.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 22 Oct 2018 06:27

We are on a roll, scoring goals, taking the lead and sometimes winning, but I can't quite see us getting much from this one. A loss tonight that doesn't sap the confidence too much and a glittering victory on Saturday will do for me.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Oct 2018 08:37

Take a draw and run! Would take a draw in both games this week to be honest.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2018 09:11

This will be a really interesting game following on from Millwall. I'm looking forward to seeing what Clement does.

He has so many questions to answer. Formation, starting 11, tactics..

Should he persist with Meite up front now that he's undoubtedly built up some confidence? Or should he consider Baldock to lead the line after a second "cool as you like penalty?

I presume McCleary will not be fit to start (which is a huge shame as based on that performance he still has a lot in his engine room and showed, briefly, his natural wing play) so I'm gonna go with:

----------------Jaakola
Yiadom---Ilori---Moore---Blackett
-------------Kelly---Bacuna
Sims----------Swift-----------Baldock
-----------------Meite

Now is a good time to reward the players. Minimal changes. They need to know that good performances will be rewarded. Kelly starts despite being shite against Millwall as we have no other options. Sims comes in for McCleary in a like for like swap. Most importantly Blackett and Yiadom retain their places. They deserve to.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2018 09:31

Be just about the team I would pick. Certainly keep the back 4. I don't like Bacuna/Swift/Kelly and think I'd rather see Meyler in for Kelly, but could understand keeping team as is. I'd be pretty confident if the big Iranian lad was fit, he really is a huge part of making our midfield work.

Same front 3 if possible. If Garath needs a rest, then so be it, but he has been fully training for a month+ and was a broken bone rather than a muscle injury, so no real risk of giving him another game. If not, Sims.

Bod should be back on the bench which is a nice option to have.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2018 09:37

Hound Be just about the team I would pick. Certainly keep the back 4. I don't like Bacuna/Swift/Kelly and think I'd rather see Meyler in for Kelly, but could understand keeping team as is. I'd be pretty confident if the big Iranian lad was fit, he really is a huge part of making our midfield work.

Same front 3 if possible. If Garath needs a rest, then so be it, but he has been fully training for a month+ and was a broken bone rather than a muscle injury, so no real risk of giving him another game. If not, Sims.

Bod should be back on the bench which is a nice option to have.

Exactly my thinking all of that. Would prefer to see Barrow on the bench over Aluko but I read Barrow is out of favour.

Im not sure I trust Meyler atm but certainly think Kelly is the weak point in the team. If we had Ezatolahi I would be looking for 3 points.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2018 21:53

Minimal changes. Bod and Eza obviously have to come in if they're fully fit, but that seems unlikely. Happy for either McCleary or Sims to start on the right depending on McCleary's fitness. Be nice to see Harriott get a few minutes.

But mainly, don't change a winning team when you don't have any obviously superior fully fit players missing.

I'd have Kelly over Meyler any day of the week. Meyler has been an abomination whenever I've seen him other than against Derby. Kelly has merely been meh. Agree I'd rather see Barrow on the bench than Aluko, but then I'd rather see my Nan on the bench than Aluko and she's been dead for about 30 years.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2018 14:50

Wait a minute..

YOU CHANGED THE READING BADGE!

Are you insane? That's the last thing we need after an unlikely win. You've doomed us.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 23 Oct 2018 15:10

I feel Meite should only be leading the line if we intend to put crosses in. He is wasted if we are playing to feet as the balls just bounce off his feet if its fizzed into him.
An out of form Kelly v Meyler who hasn't played or impressed?? Think Kelly will keep his place for this one but dropped soon as Eza is definitely fit. Rather we dont risk players atm as our record with injuries being elongated is quite special.

138 posts