Bust up between Clement and Barrow

168 posts
Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Bust up between Clement and Barrow

by Denver Royal » 25 Oct 2018 21:29

Not sure what Clement would publically say. Don’t know how I’d know, and in the overall scheme of things it’s of rather limited relevance anyway. I really could care less what he (or any mgr) says publically, anyway.

This is obviously not a good look for Clement (or any manager). He is tasked with man management and finding a way to get the best out of each and every player (esp in our predicament). Managers know that, and they sign on for same. It’s not for everyone, but it’s key to the success (or otherwise) of any club.

Not sure what happened at Swansea, but that should be in past. We’re talking about our player of the year here. Even if he’s no longer a good fit, then if nothing else, we’re hardly maximizing his transfer value (to our club). We may have had around 10 mil for him a few months back in the Summer? This is really not a good look, esp in our boat.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 26 Oct 2018 08:45

With out the facts its tough to judge. We just dont know.
Barrows just had a kid, he might be wanting to spend more time at home than training? PC could of said to him, if you dont come in to train you will be dropped and disciplined? Or Barrow didn't want to be sat on the subs bench and stay at home with the kid instead?
If this is the case then Barrows actions are understandable and forgivable.
But if Barrow in general has refused to train / travel / or being disruptive behind the scenes then Clements actions are correct.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Oct 2018 08:49

Having a child isn't an excuse to be unprofessional. Barrow and the other first teamers are probably "working" on average 5 hours a day, it's not like Barrow is a junior doctor working 18 hour shifts is it. Barrow and Clement fell out before and I would guess it has something to do with his effort in training and matches, Clement is demanding more from Barrow and I am all for that. Mo Barrow is no doubt very talented but is a lazy sod, we have all seen it. If Clement can't tolerate that then it will only end one way.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Oct 2018 09:03

Squad discipline isn't something that can be ignored or under valued.

One of the early changes Pep made at Barcelona was to weed out those who weren't pulling for the team. He even had his staff watch the subs bench to see which of those players not playing showed the right character he wanted by celebrating the teams achievement and being disappointed by their failings.

Obviously it's a lot easier to be picky when your Barcelona and not Reading but I wouldn't criticise a manager for trying to install a bit of the right stuff in his squad.

Difficult to know exactly what has gone on here though when the details aren't public.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 26 Oct 2018 09:13

Old Man Andrews Having a child isn't an excuse to be unprofessional. Barrow and the other first teamers are probably "working" on average 5 hours a day, it's not like Barrow is a junior doctor working 18 hour shifts is it. Barrow and Clement fell out before and I would guess it has something to do with his effort in training and matches, Clement is demanding more from Barrow and I am all for that. Mo Barrow is no doubt very talented but is a lazy sod, we have all seen it. If Clement can't tolerate that then it will only end one way.

You are right. But modern day footballers have such a way of doing what they like and getting paid regardless.
This is obviously hypothetical but I am just playing devils advocate. But maybe Barrows priority has changed, probably got a few quid in the bank, he might be struggling with the kid mrs might be struggling? we dont know.
But what i do know is if I just had a kid and the mrs was struggling - playing footy / going to work would be low on my list of things to do.

If he is being a brat then absolutely right to be dropped as there is no excuse. He is a professsional and been in the game for long enough to understand what is expected of him. If there is no positive reaction from him, then should be offloaded. Team spirit is quite possibly the best asset we can achieve with zero investment.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Oct 2018 09:22

I also don't think that any club would cite disciplinary issues if there were problems at home but the player addressed it in the right way.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Oct 2018 09:43

Just look on trnsfrmkt and the number of clubs he's played at for a very short time.

Sometimes you can have all the talent in the world but have other bits missing
like guts, hard-work, team-spirit, discipline

Many/some of us have wondered about some changing-room issues
and thought it might have been Aluko. Maybe it's Barrow? We don't know.

But Clement knows what Barrow is capable of at his best. He doesn't drop
him merely because he doesn't like him personally.

There are so many possibilities... refusing to train, refusing to travel, refusing to be a sub,
missing training, being late for training, physical bust-ups, being spotted out at 0400 the day
before a game, turning up drunk, drugs.

Not saying ANY of these apply, but we are arguing about stuff that's occurred
out of our sight.

What we do know is Barrow's iffy club record, what other fans have said, the
manager's awareness of sell-on values, usefulness to the team etc

Without facts, I leave it to the professionals and presume they are right until proven otherwise

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Oct 2018 09:49

Maybe Clements just a massive racist?

I’ve no evidence to support this, clearly bollocks statement but it’s no doubt about as accurate as the shite the rest of you are dreaming up.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Oct 2018 09:51

Snowball Just look on trnsfrmkt and the number of clubs he's played at for a very short time.

There are so many possibilities... refusing to train, refusing to travel, refusing to be a sub,
missing training, being late for training, physical bust-ups, being spotted out at 0400 the day

out of our sight.

Without facts, I leave it to the professionals and presume they are right until proven otherwise

Stop being sensible and criticise the manager for having a personal vendetta and hating Barrow.
Last edited by sandman on 26 Oct 2018 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Oct 2018 09:56

sandman
Snowball Just look on trnsfrmkt and the number of clubs he's played at for a very short time.

out of our sight.

Stop being sensible and criticise the manager for having a personal vendetta and hating Barrow .

Sorry....

Clement OUT!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Oct 2018 10:00

Snowball
sandman

out of our sight.

Stop being sensible and criticise the manager for having a personal vendetta and hating Barrow.

Sorry....

Clement OUT!

That's better.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Oct 2018 12:45

Even when out loan very few appearances. Not a regular first team choice in any side.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 Oct 2018 13:20

RoyalBlue We're told it's a disciplinary issue but that could cover a multitude of sins, some of which might not be that serious. Could Clement/the Club be overreacting? Has Barrow fallen foul of what, given the dire situation the team is in, might be regarded as a rather petty rule?

One thing's certain, it's a good job Clement wasn't in charge when Robin Friday blessed us with his presence!

There are plenty of decent sticks to beat Clement with, but this is inane, even from serial point-misser RB.
It's not 1976 any more Grandad.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Oct 2018 13:27

Platypuss
RoyalBlue We're told it's a disciplinary issue but that could cover a multitude of sins, some of which might not be that serious. Could Clement/the Club be overreacting? Has Barrow fallen foul of what, given the dire situation the team is in, might be regarded as a rather petty rule?

One thing's certain, it's a good job Clement wasn't in charge when Robin Friday blessed us with his presence!

There are plenty of decent sticks to beat Clement with, but this is inane, even from serial point-misser RB.
It's not 1976 any more Grandad.

I bet George Best would get away with it if he was coming up.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Oct 2018 14:34

Just looked at Wikipedia where it says that having played 20 times in the Premier League under Bob Bradley he was made available for transfer after falling out with new manager Paul Clement.
So there is clear history.
If I were Mo i would keep my head down and wait to see what happens over the next few weeks-a new manager might feel he is worth persevering with once he establishes why Aluko was accommodated for so long.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Oct 2018 14:40

Fans speculating as to why last seasons Player of the Season is suddenly out of favour shocker

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Oct 2018 16:15

Victor Meldrew Just looked at Wikipedia where it says that having played 20 times in the Premier League under Bob Bradley he was made available for transfer after falling out with new manager Paul Clement.

Selective reading. Wiki basically says Barrow moved down the pecking order because Clement brought in Luciano Narsingh for 4 million.

Prior to that, in two seasons, 36 Premiership appearance, Barrow had scored two goals, one each season.

Quote:

Despite playing 20 times for Swansea during the first half of the 2016–17 season under Guidolin and Bob Bradley, after falling out of favour under new manager Paul Clement due to the signing of Luciano Narsingh, Barrow was made available for a transfer. He was strongly linked with a move to Championship side Newcastle United.[17] On 31 January 2017, Barrow joined Leeds United on loan until the end of the 2016–17 season, with a view to a permanent deal. The move saw him link up with Monk.[18] After failing to break into the first team, he was not purchased by Leeds.[19] During his time at Swansea he became the first Gambian to score a premier league goal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2018 17:26

Coppells Lost Coat
Old Man Andrews Having a child isn't an excuse to be unprofessional. Barrow and the other first teamers are probably "working" on average 5 hours a day, it's not like Barrow is a junior doctor working 18 hour shifts is it. Barrow and Clement fell out before and I would guess it has something to do with his effort in training and matches, Clement is demanding more from Barrow and I am all for that. Mo Barrow is no doubt very talented but is a lazy sod, we have all seen it. If Clement can't tolerate that then it will only end one way.

You are right. But modern day footballers have such a way of doing what they like and getting paid regardless.
This is obviously hypothetical but I am just playing devils advocate. But maybe Barrows priority has changed, probably got a few quid in the bank, he might be struggling with the kid mrs might be struggling? we dont know.
But what i do know is if I just had a kid and the mrs was struggling - playing footy / going to work would be low on my list of things to do.

If he is being a brat then absolutely right to be dropped as there is no excuse. He is a professsional and been in the game for long enough to understand what is expected of him. If there is no positive reaction from him, then should be offloaded. Team spirit is quite possibly the best asset we can achieve with zero investment.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say if it was just Barrow struggling with personal issues Clement would support him, not discipline him.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Oct 2018 18:15

i reckon he's got a sulk on for not being picked when he came back from injury, either didn't turn up for training or refused to travel as a non-playing sub for an away game and has been fined for doing so. Now he's thrown his toys out of the pram and it'll be see ya later come January (unless Clement has been sacked by then)

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Oct 2018 11:44

Snowball
Victor Meldrew Just looked at Wikipedia where it says that having played 20 times in the Premier League under Bob Bradley he was made available for transfer after falling out with new manager Paul Clement.

Selective reading. Wiki basically says Barrow moved down the pecking order because Clement brought in Luciano Narsingh for 4 million.

Prior to that, in two seasons, 36 Premiership appearance, Barrow had scored two goals, one each season.

Quote:

Despite playing 20 times for Swansea during the first half of the 2016–17 season under Guidolin and Bob Bradley, after falling out of favour under new manager Paul Clement due to the signing of Luciano Narsingh, Barrow was made available for a transfer. He was strongly linked with a move to Championship side Newcastle United.[17] On 31 January 2017, Barrow joined Leeds United on loan until the end of the 2016–17 season, with a view to a permanent deal. The move saw him link up with Monk.[18] After failing to break into the first team, he was not purchased by Leeds.[19] During his time at Swansea he became the first Gambian to score a premier league goal.

Am not sure what that proves.
"Despite playing 20 times for Swansea during the first half of the 2016/17 season........."
The fact is that he was a regular before Clement arrived and straight away Clement signed another winger.
These are semantics-for whatever reason Clement doesn't fancy him and presumably only played him at the end of last season under sufferance.
For the sake of our club's prospects I hope this gets sorted one way or another as Barrow was our best player last season and we need him firing on all cylinders again.
From what I have seen on the pitch I would prefer it if Clement left rather than Barrow.

168 posts