Bust up between Clement and Barrow

168 posts
paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Bust up between Clement and Barrow

by paddy20 » 23 Oct 2018 16:27

Being reported that the two have come to loggerheads once again, allegedly due to his attitude. Not the best time to have this. He's already got rid of him once at Swansea. Shame because he is one of our best players

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Bust up between Clement and Barrow

by Zip » 23 Oct 2018 16:31

paddy20 Being reported that the two have come to loggerheads once again, allegedly due to his attitude. Not the best time to have this. He's already got rid of him once at Swansea. Shame because he is one of our best players

This would not surprise me. Barrow has not been the same player since Clement became manager. A huge shame if true because a fit and flying Barrow is an asset and a big plus.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2018 16:57

I would love a fly on the wall type experience of watching a few training sessions to see what Clement sees.

The arguments being made appears to be he is lazy in training or has clashed with Clement. I would love to know what you all think about that? Imo a certain amount of laziness is tolerable provided the player is producing the goods (which last season he was). Planetfootball did a piece earlier this year on great players who never trained.

He is out of form. I accept that completely. But when he's in form he adds a dynamic no other player on our team can offer. I know some seem to think Sims is as fast but I really havent seen any evidence of that.

If this is all about a personality clash I think it's Clements job to get over it. We don't have many options in his position and I think we all agree that the current formation is worth pursuing, particularly with McCleary back.

A spell on the sidelines might help if he does have an attitude but relegating him from the bench is foolish (imo). Aluko can work as hard as he wants in training sessions but he hasn't produced a 3rd of the quality Barrow has in their time here.

Baldock should keep his place on the left flank but Barrow should be on the bench ahead of Aluko regardless of personal issues.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Oct 2018 17:01

Hasn't been fit all year.

Doesn't really track back to help full-backs. Final ball leaves a lot to be desired.

Wouldn't be unhappy if we sold and got a bit of cash in Jan for him.

If you want someone with pace with questionable end product, might as well sign Usain Bolt.

Kebe > Barrow

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Oct 2018 17:13

paddy20 Being reported that the two have come to loggerheads once again, allegedly due to his attitude. Not the best time to have this. He's already got rid of him once at Swansea. Shame because he is one of our best players

Can you clarify whose attitude - Barrow or Clement?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Oct 2018 17:19

NewCorkSeth A spell on the sidelines might help if he does have an attitude but relegating him from the bench is foolish (imo).
If Barrow has a negative attitude then this decision may be about preventing it from affecting the other players in the squad and also sending a message to the rest of the squad that this type of attitude will not be tolerated.
Clement isn't stupid, If it was a 30 goal a season striker in red hot form showing a bit of attitude, he wouldn't drop them out of pride.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Oct 2018 17:26

NewCorkSeth If this is all about a personality clash I think it's Clements job to get over it. We don't have many options in his position and I think we all agree that the current formation is worth pursuing, particularly with McCleary back.

Can't agree - the manager is the boss.
If players won't/don't toe the line - they go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Oct 2018 17:35

Meh, luxury player with lots of talent but not enough application or work rate. Certainly can't afford him in the same team as Aluko and Swift.

I've said all along I'd be happy to cash in on him and if he's fallen out with Clement that goes double.

Sims, Meite and Baldock have all contributed more overall out wide than him this season.

A couple of fancy moments v Hull and not a lot else. I just don't feel he contributes to the team becoming greater than the sum of its parts, more less.

Of course, if he can find form and work hard he's very welcome here. But measured against the standards of Kebe, Convey, Hunt, McAnuff and Little, he doesn't compare right now. Or if we could find a position in a shape which doesn't require any work rate then fine.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Oct 2018 17:39

Hendo Hasn't been fit all year.

Doesn't really track back to help full-backs. Final ball leaves a lot to be desired.

Wouldn't be unhappy if we sold and got a bit of cash in Jan for him.

If you want someone with pace with questionable end product, might as well sign Usain Bolt.

Kebe > Barrow

Kebe > Barrow > Aluko

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2018 17:40

Forbury Lion
NewCorkSeth A spell on the sidelines might help if he does have an attitude but relegating him from the bench is foolish (imo).
If Barrow has a negative attitude then this decision may be about preventing it from affecting the other players in the squad and also sending a message to the rest of the squad that this type of attitude will not be tolerated.
Clement isn't stupid, If it was a 30 goal a season striker in red hot form showing a bit of attitude, he wouldn't drop them out of pride.

Yeah I get that completely. Just feel a winger of his pace who was capable of scoring 10 goals for the shower of shite we were last season probably should not be frosted out completely when we have next to no competition.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Oct 2018 17:42

NewCorkSeth
Forbury Lion

Yeah I get that completely. Just feel a winger of his pace who was capable of scoring 10 goals for the shower of shite we were last season probably should not be frosted out completely when we have next to no competition.

Harriott, McCleary, Sims, Meite, Baldock, Yiadom, Obita.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2018 17:46

Platypuss
NewCorkSeth If this is all about a personality clash I think it's Clements job to get over it. We don't have many options in his position and I think we all agree that the current formation is worth pursuing, particularly with McCleary back.

Can't agree - the manager is the boss.
If players won't/don't toe the line - they go.

Why is it only in professional sports we tolerate that attitude? Clement came into this club knowing Barrow from before. He must have said to him that's it wipe the slate clean time and they need to be professionals (if he got rid of him at Swansea for the reasons suggested) so if issues have crept up again it's either because Barrow is a shit head, Clement is a shit head or Clement didn't change the way he manages Barrow.

If it's option 2 or 3 then I don't think it's as simple as saying "do as the manager says or else" that could affect other players attitudes to.

Having said all that I remember a game last season where Barrow was acting like a spoilt child.. He may be the problem but it's one to sort in January. Not now when we need options.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2018 17:50

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Forbury Lion If Barrow has a negative attitude then this decision may be about preventing it from affecting the other players in the squad and also sending a message to the rest of the squad that this type of attitude will not be tolerated.

Harriott, McCleary, Sims, Meite, Baldock, Yiadom, Obita.

Yes. Let's play McCleary out of position to free up the Right flank for Aluko. Or play the injured Obita. Or the RB Yiadom. Or the Perma-crocked Harriott. Or the "can't get into the team ahead of Aluko" Sims.

Only 2 of those players could reasonably be asked to start on the left wing tonight.

I said in my original post (or maybe in another thread...) That Baldock should retain his starting spot and that Barrow should be on the bench rather than frozen out of the match day squad.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Oct 2018 17:55

Things must be really bad for Aluko to be in the squad ahead of Barrow,
The latter was terrific for much of last season. We would have been relegated without Barrow’s goals and assists.

I suspect Barrow will be sold in January....if Clement is still manager.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Oct 2018 17:55

You said he had next to no competition. Meite, Baldock and Sims have all played there this season, Harriott is back and available.

There's a couple of options without any serious shuffling from the last game and plenty in the squad.

Barrow's done sod all to justify questioning Clement's decision on whether to include or play him this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Oct 2018 18:05

Not sure where this ‘report’ has come from, but wouldn’t be a great surprise

Might not be the worst thing in the world. Kick up the backside and being dropped may do him some good.

Is a useful bench option at the moment but doesn’t really fit how Clement is setting us up.

Shame if he does get frozen out and sold really as he is quality player on his day

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2018 18:32

Snowflake Royal You said he had next to no competition. Meite, Baldock and Sims have all played there this season, Harriott is back and available.

He does have next to no competition. Baldock, McCleary and Meite all have starting spots. That leaves Sims. When Bodvarson gets back then you can add Meite to that list but that's 4 players for 2 positions including a striker filling in at left wing.. if we freeze him out then we are left with the starting 3, Sims, the untested and unlikely to be fit Harriott and Aluko.

That's shit if we get another injury.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Oct 2018 18:41

Hound Not sure where this ‘report’ has come from, but wouldn’t be a great surprise

Might not be the worst thing in the world. Kick up the backside and being dropped may do him some good.

Is a useful bench option at the moment but doesn’t really fit how Clement is setting us up.

Shame if he does get frozen out and sold really as he is quality player on his day

It came from one of the local journos and it's just pure guesswork. Doesn't take a genius to work out there is an issue there though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Oct 2018 19:17

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal You said he had next to no competition. Meite, Baldock and Sims have all played there this season, Harriott is back and available.

He does have next to no competition. Baldock, McCleary and Meite all have starting spots. That leaves Sims. When Bodvarson gets back then you can add Meite to that list but that's 4 players for 2 positions including a striker filling in at left wing.. if we freeze him out then we are left with the starting 3, Sims, the untested and unlikely to be fit Harriott and Aluko.

That's shit if we get another injury.

:lol:

Yeah, Baldock's starting in his position. Sims is available. So is Harriott.

I don't know if you're familiar with it, but conventional wisdom has always been two players for each position mate.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Oct 2018 19:26

Big squad. Ship out the slackers. To survive we need players with character, a desire to win and play for the shirt.

168 posts