Worst RFC manager, statistically, after 23 league games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Worst RFC manager, statistically, after 23 league games.

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2018 17:48

Denver Royal
Lower West As Brian proved there was talent in the squad. Not something you could say now :shock:

Were you one of many saying last season that the players are talented but that the problem was elsewhere?

Snowflake Royal McNulty was only ever to be a future punt, given how the rest of the team are doing I'm quite happy to have him getting experience at thus level and keeping Nova as far from our current shit show as possible.
And you have to remember that the club doesn't have the benefit of hindsight when making signings.

McNulty, at 26, strictly a 'future punt'? Not sure if true, but if so, certainly not what we needed. And he isn't getting much experience/development when he can't even get in the squad or on the park.
If Nova can't - and shouldn't be allowed to - break thru now, then when? He'd find it a lot harder getting minutes and breaking in to a successful side.
As to your last point, we don’t have to remember because you keep saying it. Its an obvious point, and hardly unique to us. Its the same for all teams. A big factor in the success of teams is successful signings.

Stepping up one / two divisions in a new team is hard, I'd never expect a player to do it successfully in one season, let alone 15 games... obviously some do, but you can't expect it.

McNulty will benefit from training with better staff, players and conditions so playing regularly is less of aa big deal for his improvement. There's no way he was brought to make a quick impact. I'm not saying he's a long term signing, but primarily one for next year possibly.

Nova is at the stage he needs to play and will benefit more from playing elsewhere than training with the first team. With Bod and Baldock he wasn't likely to get that here disappointing as that is.

I feel I need to keep saying as people don't seem to appreciate it and only judge signings on immediate impact with hindsight.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Oct 2018 18:12

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal
Lower West As Brian proved there was talent in the squad. Not something you could say now :shock:

Were you one of many saying last season that the players are talented but that the problem was elsewhere?

I was. To a certain degree at least.

I still think we do have some talented players in the squad. Yiadom, Moore, Ilori, Obita, Ezatolahi(going by what we have seen of him), Bacuna, Swift, Barrow, McCleary and Bodvarson could all reasonably be expected to do well in this league imo. Perhaps Baldock too but I was less than convinced with his "record" in this division upon his signing.

Last season I thought the players really let Stam down. Yes Stam had no plan B and his inexperience showed when he couldn't stop the rot and he should have been either sacked sooner or not sacked so we had the summer to get in someone better than Clement (hindsight I know..)

But this season I think it's Clement letting us down more than any player. We have had foolish errors in almost every game but it's the tactics on game day and squad selection that, imo, have led us to the position we are in.

Yep I agree with this. I have been saying since the turn of the year that we could not play Kelly and Swift together in central midfield. Neither can tackle. Yet Clement has persisted. Yes he has been unlucky with the Ezatolahi injury but he had all summer to sort the CDM issue out and what we got was David Meyler.

We need to go back to basics and try and become a difficult side to beat. We need to be playing a hard pressing game. We should have bought accordingly in the summer and failed to do so. We need to try and keep clean sheets but we are far too easily opened up because our opponents have too much time on the ball.

Ultimately Clement has the worst record in the entire history of our club after 23 League games. That’s some achievement. He may not have had the money Stam had to spend in his second season but he has not had to endure selling his best players to make ends meet like McDermott and Adkins.

He has had enough support to see us doing considerably better than this. Much as I would like to see him turn it around I have no faith in him. Swansea supporters see in us the same traits in their Swansea side from a year ago and we know how that ended up.

To say we should accept relegation and rebuild in League One is something I strongly disagree with. There is enough technical ability in this squad to be mid table in my view. We need to get rid of a lot of deadwood in January and bring in some dog to this side. We are far too soft at the moment and need one or two players who can tackle and battle in midfield. We need to become a more hardworking team that also plays with pace. It’s too one paced so much of the time. We are too passive
Last edited by Zip on 29 Oct 2018 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2018 18:19

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal Were you one of many saying last season that the players are talented but that the problem was elsewhere?

I was. To a certain degree at least.

I still think we do have some talented players in the squad. Yiadom, Moore, Ilori, Obita, Ezatolahi(going by what we have seen of him), Bacuna, Swift, Barrow, McCleary and Bodvarson could all reasonably be expected to do well in this league imo. Perhaps Baldock too but I was less than convinced with his "record" in this division upon his signing.

Last season I thought the players really let Stam down. Yes Stam had no plan B and his inexperience showed when he couldn't stop the rot and he should have been either sacked sooner or not sacked so we had the summer to get in someone better than Clement (hindsight I know..)

But this season I think it's Clement letting us down more than any player. We have had foolish errors in almost every game but it's the tactics on game day and squad selection that, imo, have led us to the position we are in.

Yep I agree with this. I have been saying since the turn of the year that we could not play Kelly and Swift together in central midfield. Neither can tackle. Yet Clement has persisted. Yes he has been unlucky with the Ezatolahi injury but he had all summer to sort the CDM issue out and what we got was David Meyler.

We need to go back to basics and try and become a difficult side to beat. We need to be playing a hard pressing game. We should have bought accordingly in the summer and failed to do so. We need to try and keep clean sheets but we are far too easily opened up because our opponents have too much time on the ball.

Ultimately Clement has the worst record in the entire history of our club after 23 League games. That’s some achievement. He may not have had the money Stam had to spend in his second season but he has not had to endure selling his best players to make ends meet like McDermott and Adkins.

He has had enough support to see us doing considerably better than this. Much as I would like to see him turn it around I have no faith in him. Swansea supporters see in us the same traits in their Swansea side from a year ago and we know how that ended up.

To say we should accept relegation and rebuild in League One is something I strongly disagree with. There is enough technical ability in this squad to be mid table in my view. We need to get rid of a lot of deadwood in January and bring in some dog to this side. We are far too soft at the moment and need one or two players who can tackle and battle in midfield. We need to become a more hardworking team that also plays with pace. It’s too one paced so much of the time.

Gonna happen whether you agree or not - nothing you can do about it, might as well get used to the idea, it makes the losing in the meantime much more bearable.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Oct 2018 20:34

Snowflake Royal
Zip
NewCorkSeth I was. To a certain degree at least.

To say we should accept relegation and rebuild in League One is something I strongly disagree with. There is enough technical ability in this squad to be mid table in my view. We need to get rid of a lot of deadwood in January and bring in some dog to this side. We are far too soft at the moment and need one or two players who can tackle and battle in midfield. We need to become a more hardworking team that also plays with pace. It’s too one paced so much of the time.

Gonna happen whether you agree or not - nothing you can do about it, might as well get used to the idea, it makes the losing in the meantime much more bearable.

So you won’t be going to any more games this season? No point because we will lose I presume.
We are far from down. If Clement stays in charge it’s 50/50 we go down. Under a better manager we will survive comfortably.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2018 21:13

I'll carry on going. Being shit and losing never stopped me before, won't stop me now.

I'm just resigned and happier for it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2018 21:20

Without sounding like John Smith, I can’t see us going down when there is dross like Bolton, Rotherham and Ipswich knocking about. We are (a little bit) better than that

The ‘right’ manager would be able to knock out.a decent first 11 this year. I really didn’t think that was the case when PC took over and was faced with starting the likes of Aluko, Joey, Edwards and Martin due to lack of anyone else

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Oct 2018 21:43

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

Talent has many facets.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2018 21:53

Hound Without sounding like John Smith, I can’t see us going down when there is dross like Bolton, Rotherham and Ipswich knocking about. We are (a little bit) better than that

The ‘right’ manager would be able to knock out.a decent first 11 this year. I really didn’t think that was the case when PC took over and was faced with starting the likes of Aluko, Joey, Edwards and Martin due to lack of anyone else

Bolton and Rotherham have more fight in them IMO.

If we stay up it'll once again be because there are a lot of terrible sides rather than us doing enough. We got lucky last year.

And if I'm wrong, huzzah, although it probably just means yet another year of being shit in the Championship and winning oxf*rd all at home. TBH, I'm more likely to renew if we go down than stay up.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 29 Oct 2018 22:06

Hound Without sounding like John Smith, I can’t see us going down when there is dross like Bolton, Rotherham and Ipswich knocking about. We are (a little bit) better than that

I agree with you about being slightly better than those mentioned. My worry is: -

1. I don't see much fight in this team. It's fragile.

2. We have had about a year now of consistently losing matches.. There seems to be no belief in this team that we can go on a run...

At some point if we are to stay up, we need to put a run of positive results together and we haven't looked like doing that for nearly a year...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Oct 2018 22:15

Snowflake Royal I'll carry on going. Being shit and losing never stopped me before, won't stop me now.

Out of interest do you really think we are going down? Usually you wait a bit longer before sticking your neck out with predictions no?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Oct 2018 23:53

Lower West
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal Were you one of many saying last season that the players are talented but that the problem was elsewhere?

Talent has many facets.

So errr, you were...or you weren’t?
Elaborate on all the facets, too, if you wish.
Agree with you the other day when you said this is tough div, gulf between div’s, etc. (As you may know, I’ve been saying that for some years now). Makes it all the harder to believe we achieved 3rd by ‘luck’.
Tho, others will tell you, esp pre-season, this div is bang avg/crap and anyone can go up, etc, so there ya go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2018 07:30

Denver Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal

Talent has many facets.

So errr, you were...or you weren’t?
Elaborate on all the facets, too, if you wish.
Agree with you the other day when you said this is tough div, gulf between div’s, etc. (As you may know, I’ve been saying that for some years now). Makes it all the harder to believe we achieved 3rd by ‘luck’.
Tho, others will tell you, esp pre-season, this div is bang avg/crap and anyone can go up, etc, so there ya go.

Theyre not mutually exclusive. It can be a tough division, have a big gulf to the Premier League and be bang average at the same time.

If most teams are equally average, that means anyone can beat anyone on their day which makes it tough to get out of but most teams capable of doing it if they get things just right.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2018 07:30

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal I'll carry on going. Being shit and losing never stopped me before, won't stop me now.

Out of interest do you really think we are going down? Usually you wait a bit longer before sticking your neck out with predictions no?

Yes to both.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 30 Oct 2018 08:12

I think the big question is are we a better team now than when Clements started? After the equivalent of half a season we should be seeing his ideas come to some fruition. For me we have gone backwards.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Oct 2018 08:37

paddy20 I think the big question is are we a better team now than when Clements started? After the equivalent of half a season we should be seeing his ideas come to some fruition. For me we have gone backwards.

Player wise or tactic wise?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Oct 2018 08:39

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Yes to both.

Must be an exceptional season for you then.

I really can't see us going down but probably because I'm in denial/optimistic.

Any stattos here know how often the teams in the bottom 3 at this point in previous seasons have been the 3 to go down?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Oct 2018 12:38

paddy20 I think the big question is are we a better team now than when Clements started? After the equivalent of half a season we should be seeing his ideas come to some fruition. For me we have gone backwards.

Its a big question, but even if we were better, by how much? We still find ourselves in the bottom 3, currently. We could be better and still go down. Its relative, and dependent on other teams, too. He could marginally improve us, yet still not be the man to keep us up this season. I assume this is something they are evaluating currently.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 30 Oct 2018 13:05