Worst RFC manager, statistically, after 23 league games.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Worst RFC manager, statistically, after 23 league games.

by strap » 27 Oct 2018 20:20

For anyone interested in these things, Paul Clement has the worst record after 23 league games of any manager in Reading FC's entire history since we joined the Football League in 1920.

No agenda, no comment, just the bare facts. As an aside, Brenda Bodgers never even made it to 23 league games in his brief stint as RFC manager.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Worst RFC manager, statistically, after 23 league games.

by Royality creeps In » 27 Oct 2018 20:29

There was certainly some unrest among the fans today, albeit mainly against the board

The Cube

by The Cube » 27 Oct 2018 20:43

Any time you're below Bullivant in any sort of ranking, you're in big trouble.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Oct 2018 20:46

And, if you were wondering, I think Brendan managed the club to a point a game during his 21 league game career at Reading so definitely better and from less games too.

Out of interest, when was JE Phillips manager?

And what have you against Mick Gooding? :wink:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Oct 2018 20:59

Confounding factor: we have the worst board and the worst set up in the last few decades if not ever (but I don't know enough about pre Madejski Reading tbh)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Oct 2018 21:04

2 world wars, 1 world cup Confounding factor: we have the worst board and the worst set up in the last few decades if not ever (but I don't know enough about pre Madejski Reading tbh)

Indeed.

Still doesn't excuse playing Swift and Kelly in the same midfield.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Oct 2018 21:11

What, worse than Waller trying to sell the club out of existance or worse tham Anton putting us in the shit in the first place?

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 27 Oct 2018 21:51

strap For anyone interested in these things, Paul Clement has the worst record after 23 league games of any manager in Reading FC's entire history since we joined the Football League in 1920.

No agenda, no comment, just the bare facts. As an aside, Brenda Bodgers never even made it to 23 league games in his brief stint as RFC manager.

Is Billy Butler still alive?

If not can we connect with him somehow...?

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 27 Oct 2018 23:04

Cape Town Royal
strap For anyone interested in these things, Paul Clement has the worst record after 23 league games of any manager in Reading FC's entire history since we joined the Football League in 1920.

Is Billy Butler still alive?

If not can we connect with him somehow...?

Www.bt.com/phonebook

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Oct 2018 23:36

Sutekh And, if you were wondering, I think Brendan managed the club to a point a game during his 21 league game career at Reading so definitely better and from less games too.

As Brian proved there was talent in the squad. Not something you could say now :shock:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Oct 2018 00:22

I honestly believe the squad we have just doesn't have the talent, no matter what manager we have won`t be able to do any better. you have to question the recruitment policy in the summer.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Oct 2018 07:47

windermereROYAL I honestly believe the squad we have just doesn't have the talent, no matter what manager we have won`t be able to do any better. you have to question the recruitment policy in the summer.

Transfer policy is a pathetic joke. To be honest of the players Clement has brought in only Eza has looked better quality than what was already at the club while Yiadom has improved the left and right back options and meant that Blackett and Gunter actually do have experienced competition but after that it all might as well not have happened.

Walker is no better than either of the other two senior keepers and so we now have an extra keeper clogging up the progression of the youngsters. On top of that the best keeper we’ve seen so far this season only got a look in because of the injury situation which says a lot for PC’s decision making.

Baldock was an uninspiring signing and hasn’t changed that on the pitch though how much of that is down to the lack of a decent performing midfield remains to be seen as he does have a few nice touches about him.

Meyler arrived and basically hasn’t looked anywhere near good enough and now can’t even get in the match day squad.

Sims looks lively but other than Hull just gets to warm the bench.

McNulty. Sorry but just what was the point of this one. Looks poor and now, like Meyler, has disappeared into obscurity.

Orion

by Orion » 28 Oct 2018 08:00

Meyler was a joke signing and one we wouldn't have touched in days gone by.

He wanted to retire FFS so that tells you about his level of commitment for the game now :lol:

McNulty and Baldrick were just unintelligent signings. They are both players who enjoy playing up with a gig man yet we were planning on playing one up front :lol: what were they thinking?

I like Being and he has something to offer, but not McNulty.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 28 Oct 2018 09:57

Interesting that four of the bottom seven are " recent managers in recent times "

Is Ian Branfoot still alive ?

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 28 Oct 2018 10:06

Interesting to see 3 of our most successful Managers Pardew, McDermott and Hurley, near the bottom.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2018 10:08

Sutekh
windermereROYAL I honestly believe the squad we have just doesn't have the talent, no matter what manager we have won`t be able to do any better. you have to question the recruitment policy in the summer.

Transfer policy is a pathetic joke. To be honest of the players Clement has brought in only Eza has looked better quality than what was already at the club while Yiadom has improved the left and right back options and meant that Blackett and Gunter actually do have experienced competition but after that it all might as well not have happened.

Walker is no better than either of the other two senior keepers and so we now have an extra keeper clogging up the progression of the youngsters. On top of that the best keeper we’ve seen so far this season only got a look in because of the injury situation which says a lot for PC’s decision making.

Baldock was an uninspiring signing and hasn’t changed that on the pitch though how much of that is down to the lack of a decent performing midfield remains to be seen as he does have a few nice touches about him.

Meyler arrived and basically hasn’t looked anywhere near good enough and now can’t even get in the match day squad.

Sims looks lively but other than Hull just gets to warm the bench.

McNulty. Sorry but just what was the point of this one. Looks poor and now, like Meyler, has disappeared into obscurity.

I think McNulty has looked promising but not ready, unsurprising. Given how the rest of the team are doing I'm quite happy to have him getting experience at thus level and keeping Nova as far from our current shit show as possible.

Walker and O'Shea were questionable, Meyler has undoubtedly been poor, McNulty was only ever to be a future punt... on the whole I think the signings were good. You can't expect one summer to turn us around, or all signings to be successful. And you have to remember that the club doesn't have the benefit of hindsight when making them.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Oct 2018 10:47

2 summers

in fact id say the summer before was where the real damage was done. (this summer we were just trying to desperately plug massive holes with limited funds.) that was our highest spending summer of all time. bought a load of similar midfielders/wingers who were mostly utter dog shit.

im not just blaming gourlay either.
I'm also quite annoyed with the whole stam/tev policy of offloading a load of proven championship quality players, who just couldn't dribble out of the defence or play tippy tappy in midfield.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Oct 2018 12:41

Lower West As Brian proved there was talent in the squad. Not something you could say now :shock:

Were you one of many saying last season that the players are talented but that the problem was elsewhere?

Snowflake Royal McNulty was only ever to be a future punt, given how the rest of the team are doing I'm quite happy to have him getting experience at thus level and keeping Nova as far from our current shit show as possible.
And you have to remember that the club doesn't have the benefit of hindsight when making signings.

McNulty, at 26, strictly a 'future punt'? Not sure if true, but if so, certainly not what we needed. And he isn't getting much experience/development when he can't even get in the squad or on the park.
If Nova can't - and shouldn't be allowed to - break thru now, then when? He'd find it a lot harder getting minutes and breaking in to a successful side.
As to your last point, we don’t have to remember because you keep saying it. Its an obvious point, and hardly unique to us. Its the same for all teams. A big factor in the success of teams is successful signings.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2018 13:34

think Baldock has done about as well as could be expected. 4 goals so far, could have had a couple more including on Saturday. Considering he had 4/5 games out injured as well.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Oct 2018 14:20

Denver Royal
Lower West As Brian proved there was talent in the squad. Not something you could say now :shock:

Were you one of many saying last season that the players are talented but that the problem was elsewhere?

I was. To a certain degree at least.

I still think we do have some talented players in the squad. Yiadom, Moore, Ilori, Obita, Ezatolahi(going by what we have seen of him), Bacuna, Swift, Barrow, McCleary and Bodvarson could all reasonably be expected to do well in this league imo. Perhaps Baldock too but I was less than convinced with his "record" in this division upon his signing.

Last season I thought the players really let Stam down. Yes Stam had no plan B and his inexperience showed when he couldn't stop the rot and he should have been either sacked sooner or not sacked so we had the summer to get in someone better than Clement (hindsight I know..)

But this season I think it's Clement letting us down more than any player. We have had foolish errors in almost every game but it's the tactics on game day and squad selection that, imo, have led us to the position we are in.