BFTifollow Swansea

OLLIE KEARNS

Re: BFTifollow Swansea

by OLLIE KEARNS » 28 Oct 2018 14:52

Nice 3 days golf in South Wales followed by an afternoon at the Liberty Stadium. Should have made it 4 days golf instead :-) The only difference to Brum was that we at least changed shape in the second half and had a go. In fact, we could easily have got something from the game as we looked a genuine threat when we got balls into the box. Unfortunately we spent the first half in a 4-5-1 system that the players aren't good enough technically to play. I like Clement (honest bloke, giving it his all) but he is used to working as a coach with very gifted technical players and is setting us up in a way that isn't going to work. If he is going to go then let's hope he at least has a real go in the next two home matches as we did in the second half at Swansea.

Orion

by Orion » 28 Oct 2018 15:06

OLLIE KEARNS Nice 3 days golf in South Wales followed by an afternoon at the Liberty Stadium. Should have made it 4 days golf instead :-) The only difference to Brum was that we at least changed shape in the second half and had a go. In fact, we could easily have got something from the game as we looked a genuine threat when we got balls into the box. Unfortunately we spent the first half in a 4-5-1 system that the players aren't good enough technically to play. I like Clement (honest bloke, giving it his all) but he is used to working as a coach with very gifted technical players and is setting us up in a way that isn't going to work. If he is going to go then let's hope he at least has a real go in the next two home matches as we did in the second half at Swansea.

I enjoyed the golf also mate.

Clement won't be here for Bristol City.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Oct 2018 15:16

OLLIE KEARNS Unfortunately we spent the first half in a 4-5-1 system that the players aren't good enough technically to play.

Do the players available perm into any formation? :shock:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Oct 2018 16:31

Lower West
OLLIE KEARNS Unfortunately we spent the first half in a 4-5-1 system that the players aren't good enough technically to play.

Yes but they don’t know what it is either - and it probably involves decimal points.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 28 Oct 2018 16:47

Lower West

It's a fair point but you'd have to argue yes based on the second half yesterday. We got in behind them, we got our full backs forward, we got crosses in and we got people on the end of them. I wouldn't advocate playing direct Millwall style but getting the ball into the final third bit quicker would suit a lot more of our players than playing triangles around the back does.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Oct 2018 13:01

Snowflake Royal This side won't finish in the top half of the Championship again without being relegated and promoted.

I don't recall anyone predicting that at start of season. I remember quite a few predicting Top 10, however. And, how the division was in part bang average, and in part crap, and how any team could get promoted, etc.
And, you think the summer signings were good, too.
So, somethings gone awry, somewhere...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2018 18:15

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal This side won't finish in the top half of the Championship again without being relegated and promoted.

I don't recall anyone predicting that at start of season. I remember quite a few predicting Top 10, however. And, how the division was in part bang average, and in part crap, and how any team could get promoted, etc.

Name and shame! :lol: Predictions tend to lean towards the optimistic end.

We're too far gone, losing mentality and habit., failure to recognise / care about the predicament we're in by the players. Too much rebuilding required. And I do think Clement has tried to do the right thing with the summer. And he's made some good signings. It's just not enough though.

The division is bang average. It always is. It's always got plenty of crap. We're some of it. Most teams, with a couple of top signings, the right mentality and a bit of early form can get promoted.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Oct 2018 08:26

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

Name and shame! :lol: Predictions tend to lean towards the optimistic end.

We're too far gone, losing mentality and habit., failure to recognise / care about the predicament we're in by the players. Too much rebuilding required. And I do think Clement has tried to do the right thing with the summer. And he's made some good signings. It's just not enough though.

The division is bang average. It always is. It's always got plenty of crap. We're some of it. Most teams, with a couple of top signings, the right mentality and a bit of early form can get promoted.

You don’t need early form to get promoted. We’ve shown that in the past.

This team is incredibly unbalanced , signings haven’t fixed it, but Clement emphasises this every time he plays a midfield with Swift and Kelly in it and sets us up to not protect our defence.

Mccleary coming back will help however the team has no leadership or backbone and I suspect fitness. Second half we concede goals and we really seem to lose our focus.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2018 09:19

I think the first team could be balanced fairly well

The issue is, out of our 2 defensive holding midfielders, one is injured and one is on rancid form and not even making the match day squad

Obvs there’s a shed load of rubbish knocking about the squad, esp in the wing positions, which make the overall squad appear unbalanced

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 30 Oct 2018 09:21

Who was it last season after 12 games said we would be in a relegation battle for 2 years due to the shite st8 of the team but got laughed at and verbally abused by the regulars?

Double D wasn't it?

8)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Oct 2018 09:26

Hound I think the first team could be balanced fairly well

The issue is, out of our 2 defensive holding midfielders, one is injured and one is on rancid form and not even making the match day squad

Obvs there’s a shed load of rubbish knocking about the squad, esp in the wing positions, which make the overall squad appear unbalanced

We've also got issues at left back vs right back and seemingly no cover (in addition to no DM capability)

I've been banging on about our midfield's lack of defensive ability for about 5 years, it's where we are letting ourselves down. Unfortunately it appears that successive managers follow the philosphy that you don't need tacklers you just need passers.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Oct 2018 10:10

Kulshaw72RFC Who was it last season after 12 games said we would be in a relegation battle for 2 years due to the shite st8 of the team but got laughed at and verbally abused by the regulars?

Double D wasn't it?

8)

We weren't in a relegation battle last season

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 30 Oct 2018 10:11

John Smith
Kulshaw72RFC Who was it last season after 12 games said we would be in a relegation battle for 2 years due to the shite st8 of the team but got laughed at and verbally abused by the regulars?

Double D wasn't it?

8)

Yes we were.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 30 Oct 2018 10:53

John Smith

Double D wasn't it?

8)

LOL :lol:

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 30 Oct 2018 12:03

John Smith

Double D wasn't it?

8)

I don't get how you can say that. A battle suggests there are winners & losers. We won our relegation battle last season, but this still means we were in one. We were in real danger of going down.

Or is your mentality only teams relegated were in a relegation battle? :roll:

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Oct 2018 12:07

Tilehurstsouthbank
John Smith

Double D wasn't it?

8)

I don't get how you can say that. A battle suggests there are winners & losers. We won our relegation battle last season, but this still means we were in one. We were in real danger of going down.

No, that's not my mentality. I just don't think we were ever in any realistic danger of being relegated. Apparently that's too farfetched for some people to comprehend on here.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 30 Oct 2018 12:09

John Smith
Tilehurstsouthbank
John Smith We weren't in a relegation battle last season

No, that's not my mentality. I just don't think we were ever in any realistic danger of being relegated. Apparently that's too farfetched for some people to comprehend on here.

You were proved right in the end but we were definitely in danger at various points of the season.

What's you opinion on this season? Safe or fcuked?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Oct 2018 12:12

Tilehurstsouthbank
You were proved right in the end but we were definitely in danger at various points of the season.

Right now we are 100% in a relegation battle. I think we will survive because there is just about enough quality in the squad but I think a different manager will be responsible for actually getting us over the line, to be instated shortly before Christmas. We will finish 20th again.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 30 Oct 2018 12:14

John Smith
Tilehurstsouthbank

Right now we are 100% in a relegation battle. I think we will survive because there is just about enough quality in the squad but I think a different manager will be responsible for actually getting us over the line, to be instated shortly before Christmas. We will finish 20th again.

We are not in a relegation battle.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Oct 2018 12:18

Coppells Lost Coat
John Smith
Tilehurstsouthbank

We are not in a relegation battle.

Well I know it's early but we're in the bottom 3. What constitutes a battle in your simple mind then?