MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (h) sponsored by a plea from Terry Cooper

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (h) sponsored by a plea from Terry Cooper

by Sutekh » 28 Oct 2018 09:55

When : Saturday 3rd November, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Next up to collect their 3 points is Bristol City.

And why not, the misfiring shambles masquerading as Reading FC it seems can only beat other struggling non-entities so a half decent side like Bristol City is probably going to be too much for them. This is a team that have gone from strength to strength off the pitch while keeping it together quite well, thankyou very much, on the pitch.

The Robins are on a run of 2 wins in 8 (or 2 wins in 3 if you want to be pessimistic) and are currently sitting midtable with 22 points. Their last away trip resulted in a 1-0 win at Brentford. It's been a mixed bag for them with an iffy start being replaced by 4 successive wins before mediocrity set in so this is a team that are definitely beatable but that can also play a bit IF YOU LET THEM.

And, you see, that's Reading's main problem, they let the opposition play far too often and for far too long and that comes from the weak and completely unbalanced midfield options that Reading have available. I'm expecting to see Bacuna, Swift and Kelly again because there just isn't anyone else the manager will try. Meyler is hopeless, Eza is injured, Edwards is both injured and hopeless leaving the inexperienced Rinomhota. Perhaps PC should try Rinomhota instead of Kelly or Swift as it surely can't make things any worse in that area and at least the player would get some of that much needed experience.

Of course, presuming he is still manager on Saturday, PC might try a completely different formation. We might see two strikers with 5 at the back or a good old fashioned 4-4-2 as desperation starts to take hold. Certainly expect yet more fiddling about with the team to accommodate something different and/or the mystery injury that'll be picked up in training this week. Perhaps even Barrow might be returned to the XI following his unknown discipline issue.

City should have Nathan Baker, Mo Eisa and Hakeeb Adelakun back from injury while Reading will still be missing Eza and Obita (are the other players injured worth mentioning?).

So, on the whole, this game is winnable and despite the malaise hanging over the club this past year the squad has the talent to get the points. If Reading can just play on the front foot from the off rather than sit back and wait for stuff to happen they'll at least make a good game of it and at the end of the day that's what you need to give yourself a fighting chance. Even a point would be good measure so long as that can be capitalised on against Ipswich next week.

Referee

To be confirmed later in the week.

Historically with Bristol City

This will be the 91st time the two teams have met in the league. Pretty even down the years with Reading just edging ahead on wins by 37 to 36 with 17 draws. At home Reading have 23 wins to 12 defeats (10 draws) and have netted on 74 occasions while conceding 63.

Last year's starting line up

Mannone, Gunter, Berg, McShane, Moore, Blackett, Kelly, Aluko, Barrow, Bacuna, Bodvarsson
Subs - Jaakkola, Beerens, Evans, McCleary, Edwards, Ilori, Clement

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (h) sponsored by a plea from Terry Cooper

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Oct 2018 12:20

Manager: Gibbs

--------------Jaakkola
Yiadom--Ilori---Moore--Blackett
--------Bacuna----Meyler
McCleary---Swift-------Baldock
----------------Meite

Mannone
Gunter
O'Shea
Kelly
Barrow
Bodvarson
Sims

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Oct 2018 13:24

NewCorkSeth Manager: Gibbs

--------------Jaakkola
--------Bacuna----Meyler
----------------Meite

Mannone
Gunter
O'Shea
Kelly
Barrow
Bodvarson
Sims

Not quite sure how you couldn't include Bodvarsson after his display when he came on yesterday. He was excellent.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Oct 2018 13:34

Old Man Andrews

--------------Jaakkola
--------Bacuna----Meyler
----------------Meite

Mannone
Gunter
O'Shea
Kelly
Barrow
Bodvarson
Sims

Not quite sure how you couldn't include Bodvarsson after his display when he came on yesterday. He was excellent.

Thought everyone was shite except for Jaakkola, Bacuna and Kelly.

Didn't think Bodvarson improved the team too much when he came on. Heavy touches when receiving the ball with his back to the goal twice slowed our counter attacking ability.

I think Meite is in slightly better form. He's getting shots on target at least (well.. 1 in 4..) so I'm tempted to stick with him for at least another game.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2018 13:43

If only Ezatolahi were fit I think we'd see a 4-4-2 with the Bs upfront and McCleary and Sims/Meite wide... but you might as well not turn up with a midfield of Bacuna and Swift/Kelly/Rinomhota

So same team except Bodvarsson in for McCleary. Not keen on O'Shea, but you simply can't chop and change your back 2, so he has to now get at least another two or three starts barring catastrophic displays.

Rinomhota to get at least 15 minutes off the bench.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Oct 2018 13:49

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

--------------Jaakkola
--------Bacuna----Meyler
----------------Meite

Mannone
Gunter
O'Shea
Kelly
Barrow
Bodvarson
Sims

Thought everyone was shite except for Jaakkola, Bacuna and Kelly.

Didn't think Bodvarson improved the team too much when he came on. Heavy touches when receiving the ball with his back to the goal twice slowed our counter attacking ability.

I think Meite is in slightly better form. He's getting shots on target at least (well.. 1 in 4..) so I'm tempted to stick with him for at least another game.

Play both of them, we actually looked like a threat when he came on yesterday. Being at home and hopefully under new management will mean we go for it a bit more.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Oct 2018 13:52

Snowflake Royal If only Ezatolahi were fit I think we'd see a 4-4-2 with the Bs upfront and McCleary and Sims/Meite wide... but you might as well not turn up with a midfield of Bacuna and Swift/Kelly/Rinomhota

So same team except Bodvarsson in for McCleary. Not keen on O'Shea, but you simply can't chop and change your back 2, so he has to now get at least another two or three starts barring catastrophic displays.

Funnily I think one of the biggest shames in recent games is the lack of time Bod and McCleary have had one the pitch together.

McClearys crossing ability is much better than most our other players and Bodvarson is our most natural finisher.

If we went 4-4-2 I would like to see Bod and Meite up front together with Bod instructed to stay central. He does great work on the flanks but Meite(and Baldock) are less instinctive in the box. If McCleary played on the right we have both him and Yiadom capable of crossing from that flank and Blackett from the left. Add into that Bacunas corners and wide set pieces and we have 2 striker capable of winning offensive headers in the box with Moore adding some strength and aerial ability too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2018 16:51

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal If only Ezatolahi were fit I think we'd see a 4-4-2 with the Bs upfront and McCleary and Sims/Meite wide... but you might as well not turn up with a midfield of Bacuna and Swift/Kelly/Rinomhota

Funnily I think one of the biggest shames in recent games is the lack of time Bod and McCleary have had one the pitch together.

McClearys crossing ability is much better than most our other players and Bodvarson is our most natural finisher.

If we went 4-4-2 I would like to see Bod and Meite up front together with Bod instructed to stay central. He does great work on the flanks but Meite(and Baldock) are less instinctive in the box. If McCleary played on the right we have both him and Yiadom capable of crossing from that flank and Blackett from the left. Add into that Bacunas corners and wide set pieces and we have 2 striker capable of winning offensive headers in the box with Moore adding some strength and aerial ability too.

To be honest, my thinking was as simple as Bod, Baldock and Meite are our three top scorers.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Oct 2018 16:58

Mannone

Gunter Moore Ilori Blackett

Bacuna Rinhomota

McCleary Meite

Bodvarsson

Baldock

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2018 17:01

Bod should start. 7 goals this season

Would also like to see McCleary with Bod and Meite to aim for, but would also like Baldock to play - so it’s a tough choice. Could go 4-4-2 with Meite and McCleary on the wings

Our midfield is crap without Eza whatever we do, so put in the best of the bad bunch - Bacuna and Swift and bypass them wherever possible

Same back 5. Ilori not esp deserving of losing his place but agree can’t keep chopping and changing

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 28 Oct 2018 17:04

Anything less then a win won't do. Then PC has one game to save himself.

I reckon the moment if/when we hit bottom, which iirc we didn't do last season, he will have to go.

We need to RESTORE ACCOUNTABILITY and the only way we can do that is for him or Gormlessly to go

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Oct 2018 17:12

---------------------------Jaakkola----------
--Yiadom---------O'Shea----------Moore-----------Gunter
--Sims-------------Ilori---------------Bacuna-----------Blackett
----------------------Bod---------------Baldock
Bench
Walker
Mcshane
Kelly
Swift
Meite
Barrow
Mccleary

You may think this team looks strange (that's because it is) but let me try and explain. Firstly 4-4-2 because it is the most effective formation with this current crop of players, Bod and Baldock need to be given time to forge a partnership.

Blackett is not a very good LB, what on earth was he doing for Swansea's second goal? Yet I'd argue he was our best attacking threat yet again, he put in a few great balls for Meite and created the chance for Bodvarsson, therefore give him a chance further up. Let's be honest, he cannot be any worse than Mccleary, Aluko, Barrow etc. I did see someone mention this idea a few days ago

Ilori because it's tiring watching the opposition midfielders just walk through ours, Bacuna, Kelly, Swift individually weren't too bad yesterday but as a three, they're atrocious, constantly letting the opposition run off them, they are miles too lightweight. Give Ilori a chance there because he can't be any worse there than he is at CB, O'Shea was miles better than him yesterday. I would give Meyler a second chance there but I have no idea what's happened to him, get the feeling he has fallen out with someone

Finally I'd put Barrow back onto the bench, I don't rate him, but he has to offer more than Aluko, Mcnulty and Co

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Oct 2018 09:07

Hound Bod should start. 7 goals this season

Would also like to see McCleary with Bod and Meite to aim for, but would also like Baldock to play - so it’s a tough choice. Could go 4-4-2 with Meite and McCleary on the wings

Our midfield is crap without Eza [b]whatever we do, so put in the best of the bad bunch - Bacuna and Swift and bypass them wherever possible[/b]

Same back 5. Ilori not esp deserving of losing his place but agree can’t keep chopping and changing

Why not try Ilori as the holding midfielder while Ez is out?

He can head the ball, can tackle, can find a pass, can bring the ball out, has speed to spare.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2018 09:16

its an option

He reminds me a bit of Hector, who also played that position reasonably well

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Oct 2018 09:28

Hound its an option

Out of interest how many would call it desperation and/or castigate Clement if he tried it and the team lost?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2018 09:54

Sutekh
Hound its an option

Out of interest how many would call it desperation and/or castigate Clement if he tried it and the team lost?

Everyone of course

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 29 Oct 2018 10:07

Sutekh
Hound its an option

I have suggested this before. In a 5 man midfield, in possession it would allow full backs to really push up while he sits as a 3rd CB.
It would be ideal if it works or another shower of shite if it fails.
I wouldn't have a meltdown if it is obvious it is not working and Clement changes it before its too late.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 29 Oct 2018 10:44

Coppells Lost Coat
Sutekh
Hound its an option

I have suggested this before. In a 5 man midfield, in possession it would allow full backs to really push up while he sits as a 3rd CB.
I wouldn't have a meltdown if it is obvious it is not working and Clement changes it before its too late.

I think some of you underestimate what is needed to play a central midfield role whether that be defensive or otherwise-you need dexterity in being able to move left or right quickly and an awareness of what is happening all over the pitch.
I think Ilori is a good footballer but needs to be facing play, which can be done at centre-back or full-back.
Clement has twice this season bombed Ilori out when we have lost a game with McShane coming in once and O'Shea once.

Ilori is the future-McShane and O'Shea belong to a different era and are way behind Ilori in being able to bring the ball out of defence, something that presumably is the way we intend to play.
It seems that Ilori is an easy scapegoat-Gunter kept his place for more than a season of nothingness-and I would sooner he was kept in the side and forgiven the odd mishap rather than playing just a stopper ....and we still lose.

So forget Ilori in midfield-if he is going to play it has to be at centre-back or the right side of a back 3.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2018 11:22

I like Ilori, but truth is he had a poor game against Brum. As did Moore. I had no real issue with him being dropped, but unsuprisingly we continued to concede goals to silly errors

Suspect Ilori will be back in soon, if not Saturday. But I do think he needed a kick up the ar$e, as his performances recently haven't been up to his early season standard.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 29 Oct 2018 12:18

Victor Meldrew
Coppells Lost Coat
Sutekh

I think some of you underestimate what is needed to play a central midfield role whether that be defensive or otherwise-you need dexterity in being able to move left or right quickly and an awareness of what is happening all over the pitch.
I think Ilori is a good footballer but needs to be facing play, which can be done at centre-back or full-back.
Clement has twice this season bombed Ilori out when we have lost a game with McShane coming in once and O'Shea once.

Never would expect Ilori to become a ball playing mid, Just a body in the middle 15 yards up the field from CB who can put a tackle in and challenge for goal kicks / 2nd balls. With him sitting in, if we play short from GK it allows full backs to push on and try and pin back opposition defence and opens it up for players like Swift or Kelly to find the gaps.
I feel it has to be an option but maybe after a few sessions and cameo roles in the position.