BFTG - Ipshit H

206 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Ipshit H

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2018 21:25

I'm actually home now, and not posting on a shitty phone with no battery, so I can go into a bit more detail on my thoughts.

I don't know how Ipswich play normally, or if that was their usual XI. But either our scouts and Clement dropped a massive bollock today or Paul Lambert took a tactical shit in Clement's face.

Ipswich's wingers and full backs hugged the sidelines and really stretched the play, with their striker staying central with support from a breaking midfielder. Because we had John 'slow as oxf*rd' O'Shea and Ipswich had pace, we had to take a deep defensive line with Moore having to stay relatively tucked in to be able to cover in behind Mr Relegation, which brought our full backs narrow as well. This meant Ipswich always had an easy out ball to a wide player.

It also meant meant our midfield sat deep to keep the gap between it and defense small. This, combined with Ipswich's width meant we simply couldn't press high and nothing we did well against Bristol could happen. When Meite tried to press, there was always a centreback free. If Barrow (lol) or Baldock tried to come inside to help the press, it meant there was a full back and winger double up on one of our full backs. If Kelly broke out of midfield to help the press it meant we were outnumbered and overrun through the middle.

Not only that, but our deep lines meant Ipswich were picking up virtually every second ball and easily dominating play.

This is all first half obviously. Their high energy aggressive start meant they tired and struggled second half. And being shit and winning by one goal meant they also didn't really know how to play because they're so unused to it. So thankfully we could rescue the game by just plugging along fairly uninspiringly with some very attacking substitutions.

Clement really should have seen the problem and taken off O'Shea for Ilori around the 20 minute mark IMO. With Ilori, we could have played a higher line, Moore wouldn't have been quite as shackled to his partner, we could have spread out a little more in defence, moved everyone 10 yards up the pitch and pressed high effectively.

Instead, with the game plan not working and Ipswich actually attacking them rather than passively accepting defeat, they didn't know what to do and just became completely disorganised, demoralised and shit.

On the 'penalty', I thought at the time it was just outside the box and was calling hopefully for a pen, expecting a freekick. I'm not convinced the Ipswich player caught him, but he certainly got nowhere near the ball and his attempt impeded Barrow. It looked like Barrow jumped to avoid the contact. I think the ref totally misread the situation, saw Barrow jump and go down (a little on the easy side) and assumed it was a dive because there was no / little contact, completely missing the fact there doesn't have to be contact for their to be a foul and thinking Barrow was trying to con him.

But, I'd like to see it again, it's always hard to say for sure with these things in real time, even if it was right in front of me.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 10 Nov 2018 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2018 21:35

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal oxf*rd disgraceful showing first half. No character, no desire, no shape, no coordination. Ipswich were bigger, stronger, quicker, more direct, more confident. Best team I've seen this season based on first half (faint praise indeed).

Jaakkola - 5 kicking terrible
Yiadom - 3 awful display.
Moore 4 so brainless and casual
O'Shea 3 showing why he's on for a relegation hattrick
Blackett 5 poor
Bacuna 3 astoundingly bad
Rinomhota 5 poor
Kelly 6 more desire than the rest of midfield and defence together
Barrow 4 fell over at nothing, although booking was nonsense and a fk
Baldock 5 ok but some poor touches
Meite 7 very lacklustre other yhan thr brace

Swift 5
McNulty 5
McCleary 6

I don't see how Clement can do anything about that sort of gutless first half bullshit.

Drop those most responsible? Give others a chance? Just effing resign?!

Well, given those responsible had won the previous game, many of them playing quite well, certainly not to prevent today.

I thought Bacuna was mostly shit against Brizzle, but saved it with the winner. And I thought he was abysmal today. So I'd drop his sorry underperforming arse and give Swift a go with (shudder) Kelly and Rinomhota unless we can get Ezatohali back for the next game. I'd also send O'Shea to the glue factory (along with McShane) and bring back Ilori. Yiadom can have a rest, as can the Barrow, and we can see how Gunter and McCleary shape up again.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Nov 2018 21:45

Snowflake Royal I'm actually home now, and not posting on a shitty phone with no battery, so I can go into a bit more detail on my thoughts.

I don't know how Ipswich play normally, or if that was their usual XI. But either our scouts and Clement dropped a massive bollock today or Paul Lambert took a tactical shit in Clement's face.

Ipswich's wingers and full backs hugged the sidelines and really stretched the play, with their striker staying central with support from a breaking midfielder. Because we had John 'slow as oxf*rd' O'Shea and Ipswich had pace, we had to take a deep defensive line with Moore having to stay relatively tucked in to be able to cover in behind Mr Relegation, which brought our full backs narrow as well. This meant Ipswich always had an easy out ball to a wide player.

It also meant meant our midfield sat deep to keep the gap between it and defense small. This, combined with Ipswich's width meant we simply couldn't press high and nothing we did well against Bristol could happen. When Meite tried to press, there was always a centreback free. If Barrow (lol) or Baldock tried to come inside to help the press, it meant there was a full back and winger double up on one of our full backs. If Kelly broke out of midfield to help the press it meant we were outnumbered and overrun through the middle.

Not only that, but our deep lines meant Ipswich were picking up virtually every second ball and easily dominating play.

This is all first half obviously. Their high energy aggressive start meant they tired and struggled second half. And being shit and winning by one goal meant they also didn't really know how to play because they're so unused to it. So thankfully we could rescue the game by just plugging along fairly uninspiringly with some very attacking substitutions.

Clement really should have seen the problem and taken off O'Shea for Ilori around the 20 minute mark IMO. With Ilori, we could have played a higher line, Moore wouldn't have been quite as shackled to his partner, we could have spread out a little more in defence, moved everyone 10 yards up the pitch and pressed high effectively.

Instead, with the game plan not working and Ipswich actually attacking them rather than passively accepting defeat, they didn't know what to do and just became completely disorganised, demoralised and shit.

That’s a good analysis and I agree that Clement really should have taken O’Shea off and brought on Ilori as we all over the place and being pulled apart.
I think that needs to be it for O’Shea.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Nov 2018 21:46

Bar Meite who gets a 9 as at least plays for 90 minutes for the badge. The rest get a 3. Football is a team game. Only as good as the weakest link.

Meite is the only decent signing out of the Stam/Teverden debacle.

Moore worth £10 million we must be deluded. Should have let him go.

Kelly sideway passing and quick short free kicks that get us nowhere. No longer even takes corners. As obviously still hasn't mastered the art of beating the first man. Unable to last 90 minutes at this level. Defensively weak. Complete lack of pace.

Barrow flatters to deceive. Mazy runs with often no end product as runs into dead ends. Endlessly stops and complains.

Where's the John Swift that we signed? Too fragile for Championship football. Another player that hasn't kicked on.

Blackett. Not a left back. Though with Barrow in front of you. There's little protection.

Yiadom. Borderline for the Championship.

Anyone notice that Mcleary didn't pass to Kelly. Yiadom looked far better once he was on.

Bacuna. Given Freedom could be a key part of our survival. Great ball for the equaliser.

None of current first team keepers inspire confidence.

Clement knows exactly what is wrong. Can only use what's at his disposal. Now convinced a panic change won't change anything.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Nov 2018 21:47

We need to sign another CB in January or give Andresson a chance when he's back from loan.

O'Shea has tried manfully but he's not up to being a regular starter, McShane won't play for us again imo and Illori spends far too much time prancing around like a Poundland Varane for my liking.

Moore is becoming a bit of an annoyance as well.
Last edited by sandman on 10 Nov 2018 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Nov 2018 21:48

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal oxf*rd disgraceful showing first half. No character, no desire, no shape, no coordination. Ipswich were bigger, stronger, quicker, more direct, more confident. Best team I've seen this season based on first half (faint praise indeed).

Blackett 5 poor
Rinomhota 5 poor

Swift 5
McNulty 5
McCleary 6

I don't see how Clement can do anything about that sort of gutless first half bullshit.

Well, given those responsible had won the previous game, many of them playing quite well, certainly not to prevent today.

I thought Bacuna was mostly shit against Brizzle, but saved it with the winner. And I thought he was abysmal today. So I'd drop his sorry underperforming arse and give Swift a go with (shudder) Kelly and Rinomhota unless we can get Ezatohali back for the next game. I'd also send O'Shea to the glue factory (along with McShane) and bring back Ilori. Yiadom can have a rest, as can the Barrow, and we can see how Gunter and McCleary shape up again.

You then spoil it by suggesting a Swift/Kelly/Rinomhota Central midfield. You need to be certified.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Nov 2018 21:51

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Blackett 5 poor
Rinomhota 5 poor

Swift 5
McNulty 5
McCleary 6

Hi Ian. I haven't watched the game. It wasn't on ifollow so I will watch it later this week. I just have one question, and I promise I'm not trying to start something, but I looked up the whoscored stats for the match just now and Rinomhota was statistically the worst player on the pitch. I'm not saying stats are everything here but is there a chance that you rated him higher than several of the others because you want him to be good? That you want him to back up your positives opinions of his last performance?

In all honesty, I gave him a 5 because I couldn't remember a thing he'd done. Whereas, for example, I could remember Bacuna under and over hitting pass after pass, turning into trouble and generally just ambling about the place ineffectually. Especially first half. Likewise, the number of times Yiadom lost out, failed to make a tackle or generally fell over the ball, or O'Shea stood statuesque or played someone into trouble were numerous beyond belief.

I'll take a look at the stats at some point to see how my view of the game stacks up.

Don't worry about the 'I come in peace' bollocks, phrase it as a genuine question and I'll take it as such. :wink:

Completely fair. I find it surprisingly difficult to not come across as snide or sarcastic on here.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Nov 2018 21:54

Zip That’s a good analysis and I agree that Clement really should have taken O’Shea off and brought on Ilori as we all over the place and being pulled apart.

Ipswich pressed high in the first half. In possession we were 15-20 yards inside our own half. At times we had 7 outfield players in our own half. Meaning the front 3 were totally isolated. As great as Kelly's long passing is. He has no ability to drive forward from deep with the ball. Stam tried him in exactly the same position as Clement. Equally as ineffective. Shame we sold Evans. Not the answer but would have provided an option.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2018 21:54

Zip
Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

You then spoil it by suggesting a Swift/Kelly/Rinomhota Central midfield. You need to be certified.

At least Kelly and Rinomhota try. And without O'Shea our press will work better and Rinomhota will hopefully be more Brizzle than Ipswich. No one expects us to win the next couple of games, giving Bacuna a kick up the arse might help. I never gave the impression it was a good option.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2018 21:56

Lower West
Zip That’s a good analysis and I agree that Clement really should have taken O’Shea off and brought on Ilori as we all over the place and being pulled apart.

Ipswich pressed high in the first half. In possession we were 15-20 yards inside our own half. At times we had 7 outfield players in our own half. Meaning the front 3 were totally isolated. As great as Kelly's long passing is. He has no ability to drive forward from deep with the ball. Stam tried him in exactly the same position as Clement. Equally as ineffective. Shame we sold Evans. Not the answer but would have provided an option.

Kelly's problem is his height. He's so short he simply can't cover ground quick enough compared to most players because of his little legs. Bacuna and Rinomhota should be the ones driving forward, sadly they were both poor today, with Kelly easily the best of the three.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Nov 2018 21:57

We don’t have to play 3 in the middle. Why just pick 3 underperforming players for the sake of it

Bacuna + Kelly or Swift and play 4-4-2 with McCleary wide right and Sims/Barrow wide left

Bacuna has been the best of our midfield (excepted Eza) by a distance this season imo

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Nov 2018 22:09

Snowflake Royal Kelly's problem is his height. He's so short he simply can't cover ground quick enough compared to most players because of his little legs.

Where do you play him then. Has to be in a midfield three. As too lightweight to win his battles.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Nov 2018 22:10

Hound We don’t have to play 3 in the middle. Why just pick 3 underperforming players for the sake of it

Bacuna + Kelly or Swift and play 4-4-2 with McCleary wide right and Sims/Barrow wide left

Bacuna has been the best of our midfield (excepted Eza) by a distance this season imo

Exactly. Heaven forbid we should play two upfront at home against the team bottom of the division.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Nov 2018 22:15

Hound We don’t have to play 3 in the middle. Why just pick 3 underperforming players for the sake of it

Every permutation has been tried. (if you take the two previous season into account with JVB as well). None have worked. Meyler was obviously going to the anchor. Just hasn't worked out.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 10 Nov 2018 22:19

Well just home admittedly with a few beers on board, but my god what a load of absolute shite that was today.

I was in the Clement in camp. However I've finally had enough. What the kinnel does he do on the build up to a match. The first half was truly abysmal. Second to everything bumbling about. oxf*rd embarrassing!

That second goal totally sums this abortion of a club up at the moment. The backbone of a very slimy jellyfish.

Sorry about the bad language (for you younger ones) but what I am watching at he moment is a team/squad hurtling towards the league below with a whimper.

Sad thing is I will still be there to watch it! :cry:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Nov 2018 22:36

Not completely sure that is how I saw it. There was plenty of fight in the second half and I’ve no doubt the players ‘want it’ far more than they did at times last year

It must just be hard when the defence is constantly letting in 2 or 3 a game. We seem to need to score 3 at home to win, and fair play to the front line, we’ve been just about doing that

I think the character etc is ok. The defence really is not. PC needs to sort it or he’ll be given his cards very soon

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 10 Nov 2018 22:36

Poor performance and we ended up with a point due to to two great goals from Meite .

For me the game will be remembered for the two minute silence before the game and the wonderful moving playing of the last post. The silence was respected by every soul in the ground , so much so you could hear the rain bouncing off the East stand roof.

When you think what that silence was all about, and what those millions of brave young men and women died for in the first world war to give us the freedom we have today, a game of football is really not that important at all.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Nov 2018 22:38

Gunny Fishcake Poor performance and we ended up with a point due to to two great goals from Meite .

For me the game will be remembered for the two minute silence before the game and the wonderful moving playing of the last post. The silence was respected by every soul in the ground , so much so you could hear the rain bouncing off the East stand roof.

When you think what that silence was all about, and what those millions of brave young men and women died for in the first world war to give us the freedom we have today, a game of football is really not that important at all.

The Last Post was wonderful. Some of us lost family in The Great War. Never forget.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Nov 2018 22:39

Yep good respect shown. Tbf the Ipswich fans seemed pretty good - decent numbers, made a bit of noise but supported their team without just lame insults at us. Basically not like Brizzle.

Thought the game itself was pretty good and entertaining as well, despite the result.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Nov 2018 22:42

Anybody else see when Meite's shirt was grabbed tightly in the first half. Another day would have been a penalty.

206 posts