New CEO/Midfield 2for1 thread (Can we sign a Player-CEO fill both roles?)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New CEO

by leon » 22 Nov 2018 17:12

Snowflake Royal
leon
Orion
Yes, his impact has been game changing.

What, the 4* games he's managed?

Four

Right OK, we're saved then.

* edited thanks to Ian.
Last edited by leon on 22 Nov 2018 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

Orion

by Orion » 22 Nov 2018 17:44

:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Nov 2018 18:37

leon
Snowflake Royal
leon
What, the 2(ish) games he's managed?

Four

You seemed confused about how many it was, so I told you. 5 seconds to check, no biggie.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Nov 2018 19:04

Snowflake Royal
leon
Snowflake Royal Four

You seemed confused about how many it was, so I told you. 5 seconds to check, no biggie.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I've updated the post and do you know what? It has totally changed the point I was making.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Nov 2018 19:14

leon Since Leigertwood left at the end of 2014 season we've not had a defensive midfielder that can influence a game in any meaningful way.

Except for Norwood, Joey, and Evans, of course.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Nov 2018 20:31

In fairness legs of wood only did for around 6 months

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Nov 2018 21:04

SCIAG
leon Since Leigertwood left at the end of 2014 season we've not had a defensive midfielder that can influence a game in any meaningful way.

None of those influenced a game in any meaningful way and certainly not consistently over a period of time.

For the avoidance of doubt I mean from a defensive perspective.

Ie protecting the defence and linking midfield.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Nov 2018 21:19

leon
SCIAG

None of those influenced a game in any meaningful way and certainly not consistently over a period of time.

I'll give you Evans in terms of consistently, and maybe Berg as he didn't last well into a second season and was used in defence a fair bit, but Norwood consistently did a good all round job including defensively, so I'm with SCIAG on that one.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Nov 2018 22:40

Snowflake Royal
leon
SCIAG Except for Norwood, Joey, and Evans, of course.

I'll give you Evans in terms of consistently, and maybe Berg as he didn't last well into a second season and was used in defence a fair bit, but Norwood consistently did a good all round job including defensively, so I'm with SCIAG on that one.

Right so assuming I agree which I don’t really, we’re saying one player.

Ok.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Nov 2018 07:10

leon
Snowflake Royal
leon

Ok.

It's not like were Arsenal going years without replacing Vieira. It's only been 4 years... Man time goes quick.
Anyway having 1 in the form of Norwood (even though you don't agree) and having signed numerous players to fill that role to varying degrees of success kinda makes it look like youre complaining about nothing. Transfers ain't easy.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Nov 2018 07:32

I’m with Leon on this one, and yeah I know transfers aren’t easy but when you’re signing nobodies from the Dutch league, past it gamers and poncy pirlo pillocks you’re on to a loser straight away.

Also don’t agree that Norwood was good for us. He was often the focal point and the best performer but in an awful and underperforming team. He also had a touch of the Guthrie’s.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Nov 2018 07:48

It's worth remembering teams don't necessarily need a specific defensive midfielder. Our most successful midfield of all time didn't really have one for example.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Nov 2018 08:11

Snowflake Royal It's worth remembering teams don't necessarily need a specific defensive midfielder. Our most successful midfield of all time didn't really have one for example.

This too.

Identifying an area we need a player in the last 4 years and signing Evans, JVDB, Williams, Meyler, Bacuna, Edwards, Quinn, Ezatolahi, Chalobah and Norwood in that time as well as promoting Tshibola indicates we haven't exactly been ignoring the position.

Yes not all of them are DMs but all are capable of playing there and (while not all consistent) most were capable of taking control of a game here and there.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Nov 2018 08:54

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal It's worth remembering teams don't necessarily need a specific defensive midfielder. Our most successful midfield of all time didn't really have one for example.

This too.

Identifying an area we need a player in the last 4 years and signing Evans, JVDB, Williams, Meyler, Bacuna, Edwards, Quinn, Ezatolahi, Chalobah and Norwood in that time as well as promoting Tshibola indicates we haven't exactly been ignoring the position.

Yes not all of them are DMs but all are capable of playing there and (while not all consistent) most were capable of taking control of a game here and there.

Are you serious?

We have a midfield unit that gets continually bypassed and a defence that struggles as a result. None of our midfielders have been able, possibly Williams to a lesser degree, to actually defend whether that is a specific player in that role or as a unit.

We have done for several years now.

Yeah we’ve signed players but they haven’t been consistently effective - that was my point.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Nov 2018 08:55

NewCorkSeth
leon
Snowflake Royal I'll give you Evans in terms of consistently, and maybe Berg as he didn't last well into a second season and was used in defence a fair bit, but Norwood consistently did a good all round job including defensively, so I'm with SCIAG on that one.

Ok.

It's not like were Arsenal going years without replacing Vieira. It's only been 4 years... Man time goes quick.
Anyway having 1 in the form of Norwood (even though you don't agree) and having signed numerous players to fill that role to varying degrees of success kinda makes it look like youre complaining about nothing. Transfers ain't easy.

I’ve just noticed this post.

I’m complaining about nothing? You do watch Reading don’t you?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Nov 2018 09:10

Joey and Evans did an ok job at times in Stam season 1. Norwood wasn't what I'd call a DM - he wasn't in there to win tackles, headers etc, and I didn't think it was very good for us

Williams did a fantastic job for about 5 months before he left us, but even then he was more an all round midfielder than a full on DM

Eza certainly showed us glimpses of being exactly the midfielder we need in there. Whether he can do that consistently when back fit, we'll hopefully soon find out

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Nov 2018 10:07

leon
NewCorkSeth

This too.

Are you serious?

We have a midfield unit that gets continually bypassed and a defence that struggles as a result. None of our midfielders have been able, possibly Williams to a lesser degree, to actually defend whether that is a specific player in that role or as a unit.

We have done for several years now.

Yeah we’ve signed players but they haven’t been consistently effective - that was my point.

What club in the world signs players that are continuously effective? More importantly what championship club does that? The answer for both is none.

You're complaining that we haven't signed a DM capable of consistently making and impact... you're insane. We should also complain that we haven't signed a LB capable of consistently making an impact. Or a RB capable of consistently making an impact. Or a CB capable of consistantly making an impact. Or a winger capable of consistantly making an impact. Or a striker capable of consistantly making an impact.

The fact is since Mikele left we have had several players bought for that position that just haven't worked out as well as we would like. Evans looked like he could do it for a season. Bacuna certainly looked like being able to do it last season. Chalobah was able to do it. Ezatolahi certainly looks the dogs bollocks.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Nov 2018 10:47

I am starting to worry that Eza is (to some extent like Obita) becoming thought of as one of those players whose reputation gets greater the less they play.
In his few games he has done o.k. ,but IMHO not much more than that, although we all hope that he will go on to perform well for us.
Ian made the point that I have made many times-we don't need a midfielder to stand around just defending-IMHO we want midfielders that can do the lot rather than just play deep in front of a back 4.

Take 3 of the top sides in City, Liverpool and Chelsea-none of those have a solely defensive midfielder and particularly in City's case with Fernandhino he is everywhere.
In our glory days we had just Sidwell and Harper as a 2 who did everything and we then didn't really have wingers who tracked back.
It is different if you play 3 centre-backs with a sweeper either behind or in front of them and full-backs as wide midfielders but we don't play like that.

Any news of a new CEO?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Nov 2018 10:54

Victor Meldrew I am starting to worry that Eza is (to some extent like Obita) becoming thought of as one of those players whose reputation gets greater the less they play.
In his few games he has done o.k. ,but IMHO not much more than that, although we all hope that he will go on to perform well for us.
Ian made the point that I have made many times-we don't need a midfielder to stand around just defending-IMHO we want midfielders that can do the lot rather than just play deep in front of a back 4.

Take 3 of the top sides in City, Liverpool and Chelsea-none of those have a solely defensive midfielder and particularly in City's case with Fernandhino he is everywhere.
In our glory days we had just Sidwell and Harper as a 2 who did everything and we then didn't really have wingers who tracked back.
It is different if you play 3 centre-backs with a sweeper either behind or in front of them and full-backs as wide midfielders but we don't play like that.

Any news of a new CEO?

To be fair to Chelsea they do have the best DM in the world. They're just not playing him as one.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Nov 2018 10:58

NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew I am starting to worry that Eza is (to some extent like Obita) becoming thought of as one of those players whose reputation gets greater the less they play.

Any news of a new CEO?

To be fair to Chelsea they do have the best DM in the world. They're just not playing him as one.

And even when he did play there for Chelsea and Leicester he hardly stopped running.
Nobody (especially Chelsea fans) can understand why he is being played so far forward.
It's because of how he is now being used I thought of Fernandhino as a better example.